Understeer on FF Cars

• Thread starter ukmadmax
  • 11 comments
England
England
To cure understeer on a lot of the FF cars, I stiffen the rear suspension, stiffen the rear roll bars and reduce front ride height.
This cures the problem for me in some cars, yet in others it doesn't.
Anything else I can do please ?

On entry, slow down. On exit, don't engage the throttle so much (if no TCS).

I know that may sound like a jerk answer, but it's ultimately the answer beyond tuning. Remember that FF cars are front heavy and that the front axle must do the work of both power, steering, and in some cases the bulk of the braking.

Another way to help on entry is to move the brake balance towards the back.

To cure understeer on a lot of the FF cars, I stiffen the rear suspension, stiffen the rear roll bars and reduce front ride height.
This cures the problem for me in some cars, yet in others it doesn't.
Anything else I can do please ?
Still undecided about springs, but in GT5 you got better results by increasing the front spring and reducing the rear spring. Also, raising the front ride height and lowering the rear produced better results than lowering the front and raising the rear.

Increase rear anti-roll bar and reduce the front. Dampers depend a lot on how you like the car to pitch, set them to 4 all round but set front extension to something like 8. A high front extension will keep the nose down on corner exit and increase your exit speed. Toe is largely preference too, lots of guys run negative (-) toe front and rear, I prefer to use (-) up front and (+) in the rear. Don't use too much toe on the rear, pay the front more attention.

In short, you want to keep the front of the car as stiff as you can tolerate so that the front wheels are in contact with the track as much as possible. Softening the rear of the car allows for better rotation, but too soft and it will become wayward and cause you handling problems.

Your diff settings will also make a big difference. Try something like 8/26/8. You can get quite funky with the diff settings on FWD, don't be afraid to use high numbers for acceleration, keep initial and braking low to encourage rotation.

I know some of the above sounds contradictory to what you may have read elsewhere on the internet or even learned from real world experience, but this is a computer game (and a broken one at that). The above has worked consistently for me in the past and I've learnt most of what I know from the members of the Tuning Forum. You should head on over there and have a read of some of the things the community has posted. I've been away from the game for a little while now so am a little rusty 👍

{Cy}

Install a fully customizable differential.
Then reduce the main value to min. setting (i.e. 5, when the initial value is 10) and also reduce the acceleration and braking values (try 30 for accel. and 15 for decel.).

This will make the car turn far more easily, you will be able to turn at higher speed and reaccelerate sooner with much less understeer.
You may also change the brake settings, with more braking force at the front.

Of course, you can further reduce the accel. and decel. values of the differential.

This worked well for me.

On entry, slow down. On exit, don't engage the throttle so much (if no TCS).

I know that may sound like a jerk answer, but it's ultimately the answer beyond tuning. Remember that FF cars are front heavy and that the front axle must do the work of both power, steering, and in some cases the bulk of the braking.

Another way to help on entry is to move the brake balance towards the back.

I think that the best way to deal with the understeer is to change the weight distribution

Like LJP64 said, low LSD figures are the key to curing understeer in FF and AWD cars.
Lower Initial and Braking, that is, you can set the Acceleration really quite high for FWD cars, as per the example that Johnnypenso posted above and as per my earlier post. With the exception of springs (which I did concede might be fixed in GT6), WhoosierGirl's example looks pretty tidy and very similar to how I would build a FWD car. With stiff rear springs you may not need to rely on stiff front extension to keep the nose down during corner exit...

{Cy}

The setup needed is way different in GT6 compared to GT5.
First off, in GT6 the way ride height influence how the car behaves is backwards, so a higher front ride height and a lower rear ride height is prefered. but dont go too extreme on this, as a rule of thumb, rear ride height should be around 90, and front ride height around 130. that is ofcourse depending on the car and track, but somewhere around there.
springs and dampers can de left at a low medium setting. (4/5 on the dampers is usually good)
Absolutley no camber.
put on full rear toe out (-1.00), and increase front toe out until its controlable (usually about -0.15)

My general setup for the differential on FF cars (again, depending on car and track):

innitial 8
acceleration 50
deacceleration 6

GL and drive carefully;)

Back