• 2 comments

Vasco

Salting the snail
Premium
United States
San Francisco, CA
Vasco506
Vasc0
Hey guys, so I just picked up a Nikon D5000 and an 18-200mm Nikkor lens (this one). I did a bit of photography before I left school but then kind of forgot about it, so I thought this would be a nice way to get back in - and it makes for a nice 21st gift while I'm away from home.

I decided to have a little walk around today and take some photos of my campus (for those who don't know I'm on exchange at the University of Miami until the end of this year) here. Fiddled a little bit with exposure and white balance but nothing major, I'm more than open to criticism. I also ran them through Lightroom (just clicked auto-tone and then auto-WB, is this recommended???) before uploading.

I was thinking of also picking up a 35mm Nikkor lens for indoor/portrait shots, is this a good idea?

Anyway...check out the photos here and let me know what I can do better (which is probably a lot :))!

I'd put them in this post but it would take way too long...and they wouldn't fit on a free flickr account so this seemed the best way to post them.

Edit: I'll probably end up cropping a lot of them, I think maybe I should have done that before uploading them.

Last edited:
The 35mm will probably be the best $200 you spend for a Nikon DX camera. I bought one last year and it only comes off when I want to go wide or go long.

Excellent, I think I'll invest in one then. Will make it a lot easier for me to lug around that as well - I'm a little wary of taking around this lens because it cost more than the body...Do you recommend a filter as well? I've heard conflicting reports on them.

Back