Volkswagen Arteon

• Thread starter Neddo
  • 29 comments
THE VOLKSWAGEN ARTEON: NEW PREMIUM SALOON COMBINES AVANT-GARDE DESIGN AND DYNAMIC HANDLING
By: Volkswagen

◾Four-door saloon implements new progressive Volkswagen design language

◾Headlights and Volkswagen emblem merge into a wholly new interpretation of the front section

Wolfsburg, 28.11.2016 – Three months ahead of its world premiere at the Geneva Motor Show, Volkswagen is providing a first look at the fascinating contours of its new premium saloon, the Arteon. The totally new model sits above the Passat and emphasises emotion in the upper mid-class.

In addition to a new and emotive outline Volkswagen is also introducing with the Arteon a highly expressive, horizontally accentuated brand look. The bars of the radiator grille extend into the three-dimensional headlights, while LED lighting elements additionally emphasise the striking layout and demonstrate dominance.

The four-door saloon impresses both through revolutionary design and great practicality. While the doors' frameless windows reflect the typical stylistic elements of a grand tourer, the top-hinged and wide-opening tailgate provides optimum access to the huge boot. Tobias Sühlmann, Exterior Designer, explains: 'At first sight, the Arteon arouses enthusiasm through its expressive design. It then surprises through its practical virtues. This combination is unique.'

The name Arteon – with the emphasis put on the first syllable – is made up of two component parts: 'Art' describes the saloon's harmonious lines and emotionality. The ending 'eon' identifies it, in the same way as Volkswagen's top model for the Chinese market, the PHIDEON, as a premium model.

The new Arteon is being publicly unveiled for the first time at the Geneva Motor Show; its launch will then follow in summer 2017.

vw_arteon-saloon-image-001-800.jpg

http://www.conceptcarz.com/a18816/Volkswagen-Arteon-Premium-Saloon.aspx

Last edited:
Yeah that's not a Phaeton successor like the title thought. This is being billed as the CC successor. Plus I thought the China-only Phideon was the Phaeton successor.

The flat areas around the wheel arches are so large they look concave.

Yeah that's not a Phaeton successor like the title thought. This is being billed as the CC successor. Plus I thought the China-only Phideon was the Phaeton successor.

The Phaeton was a poor seller where as the CC has sold well. I can see why they choose to ignore succeeding the Phaeton in favour of this.

Coming to Australia in October
VW Arteon

The Arteon’s engine choices include two versions of the 2.0-litre TSI petrol-powered four-cylinder and a lone 2.0-litre turbo diesel, plus the 1.5-litre four that’s deemed too expensive for Australian Golfs and there’s even talk of a hi-po V6.

Volkswagen Australia, though, has wiped its hands of most of the available powertrains and will only take the 206kW petrol four when it arrives locally, expected to be around October 2017.

Fitted as standard with on-demand all-wheel drive, Australia’s Arteon will do the leg work via 350kW of torque from 1700rpm to 5600rpm, while its power peaks from 5100 to 6500rpm, which promises a broad spread of performance.

In spite of Volkswagen sending us only the R-Line specification and trim, it’s not expecting the Arteon to be a sports sedan. It will shoot to 100km/h in 5.6 seconds, though, which is sharp enough for the daily drudge of most people, and it tops out at a limited 250km/h.

correct
phaeton was a couple of classes above passat, which this car seems to replace/enhance.
its ass from some corners ~looks like older A6/A8 though, and this is opposing its newer looking front.

Actually, not bad to me. The most handsome Volkswagen sedan to me was the beautiful CCs of the previous decade. This Arteon is in second place in my list of handsome Volkswagens. Its design lines pack a great bit of character without looking ugly or overly edgy. The side silhouette is very charming. Almost like some of the recent Audi A5 Sportback pictures I've been seeing. I'm intrigued at this car.

And for the record, I liked the Phaeton of old. Never really wondered why it didn't garner as much attention and praise as it probably could have gotten.

VW Arteon will be entering the US market later this year. AWD and a 2.0L turbocharged engine making 268hp will be available.

Pricing to start in the low-30k range.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/02/2019-vw-arteon-comes-u-s-268hp-2-0-turbo-awd-read-details/

Side note, the thread title is slightly misleading. It says "Phaeton successor", when it is clearly a CC successor in terms of size, design, price, and targeted audience. The title should be changed.

Lol yup nice car. My Dad bought one a few weeks ago amazing car. Love it. Very smart too. We had a Jetta before it but sadly written off but Arteon is a good car, looks good too. The red one I saw when we went to Volkswagen and I liked it (Dad was looking at Passat) and yeah we ended up with a white one lol was in shock, also Mum loves it which helps to:)

Attachments

• D8C3F49F-8CB9-484B-A7F0-84148724661A.jpeg
    D8C3F49F-8CB9-484B-A7F0-84148724661A.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 487F8E93-438D-4131-95C3-B385A1F9AF27.jpeg
    487F8E93-438D-4131-95C3-B385A1F9AF27.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 31
  • EDCF8A7D-1987-4DE2-B8B6-7AD99D06B533.jpeg
    EDCF8A7D-1987-4DE2-B8B6-7AD99D06B533.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 254C42AD-34DA-4FE7-B712-4D7FCA24C043.jpeg
    254C42AD-34DA-4FE7-B712-4D7FCA24C043.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 99D18339-A15E-4423-9903-7679C77403AF.jpeg
    99D18339-A15E-4423-9903-7679C77403AF.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 33
It's honestly a shame how poorly the Arteon sells in the US. Given it's price, it's quite a stylish and well-equipped car. Definitely a better alternative to the Maxima or Avalon or TLX. I see much more Audi A6s on the road (which are at least $15k more expensive than the Arteon).

Honestly, this is one of the best looking cars on sale today, it’s just so perfect in every possible way, the R version is to die for :drool:

It puts everything from BMW and majority of stuff from Mercedes to shame and is close to, if not on par with Audi designs, which ain’t a surprise at all but deserves to be said :D

The Arteon has really shone out for me over other cars like the ugly average new shape Passat and the overly ambitious "Fer Piech era" Phaeton. I really love the shape and when you see one on real life....

it's the lines dat get you ya!!!!

And those curves do look very handsome and beautiful. Interior is nice and now for 2021, we get the R model, I would defo consider it as my next daily driver for sure. 👍:lol:

Last edited:
It looks like that shooting brake isnt just China exclusive anymore!
It's not a shooting brake, it's just a wagon. I have no idea why VW call it a shooting brake... To sound cool I guess?

Back