VOTE: Best Looking 1980s F1 Car Semi-Final #2

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 9 comments

Which of these two Formula One cars is better looking?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Liquid

Fission Mailed
Premium
Slovakia
Bratvegas
GTP_Liquid
1983 Brabham BT52 vs 1988 McLaren MP4/4

1983 Brabham BT52

Engine: 1.5L turbocharged BMW I4
Drivers: Nelson Piquet, Riccardo Patrese

brabham_bmw_bt52_views_on_track.jpg

83-Brabham-BT52B-BMW-13-Piquet-monza1.jpg

1988 McLaren MP4/4

Engine: 1.5L turbocharged Honda V6
Drivers: Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna

1988-spa-ayrton-senna-mclaren-mp44.jpg

alain_prost__great_britain_tyre_test_1988__by_f1_history-d6vpbyx.jpg

I had to give this one some serious thought. I really like the looks of the MP4/4. It's got the classic F1 profile, it's low, sleek and clean. But the Brabham just got so much presence. You can clearly tell - especially from an overhead view - that the designer was inspired by fighter planes. To me it looks like a F-104 for the race track.

f104_1.jpg

BT52! I choose you!

Both are really nice designs. Had to vote for the McLaren though, as to me it's the more complete package.

The front of the Brabham really reminds me of a fountain pen nib.

Filthy Stinky Cigarettes or Creamy Dairy Goodness?
Genuine Nazi Uniforms or Sporty Kit for Bjorn Borg?
Unethical liveries aside...(Vegans will avoid the Brabham.)
Both cars are good, but the Brabham has a sublime mix of graceful elegance and brutal fire spitting power.

Ryk
Filthy Stinky Cigarettes or Creamy Dairy Goodness?
Genuine Nazi Uniforms or Sporty Kit for Bjorn Borg?
Unethical liveries aside...(Vegans will avoid the Brabham.)
Both cars are good, but the Brabham has a sublime mix of graceful elegance and brutal fire spitting power.

It gets worse.

McLaren's Shell overstate their oil reserves and are accused of complicity in Nigerian human rights abuses while Brabham's Castrol are involved in Deepwater Horizon and multiple explosions in Texas by association.

Decisions, decisions...

Tough one. The McLaren has that sleek look I love. And the fins on the front wing...just gorgeous. The Brabham is so different and unique from everything else from the time period, with a cool fighter jet look to it. Awesome in a non-traditional F1 way. I'm undecided on this one.

Apologies for the delay. The Brabham BT52 will go through to the final after a late surge of popularity saw it squeak over the line; it was 33-32 in the McLaren's favour on Friday.

Thanks for voting. 👍

Back