Wanting to rebuild my PC

• Thread starter ghsnu
  • 13 comments
United States
Tucson, AZ
spedy7
I've been wanting to rebuild my computer for awhile now...mostly because it sucks 🤬.

-AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processor
-2.0GHz; 2.32GHz overclocked (max)
-500gb HDD (no need to upgrade lol)
-ATI HD 3650 gfx card (pain in the 🤬 since on google it turns blue writing red and red writing blue...confusing, I know)
-512mb DDR2 (I think it's DDR2) RAM

Yes, it's an old POS and can barely handle newer games (lags like a mofo when playing FSX). I'd love to have a PC that could play some of the newer games just fine on medium-high or high settings.

Sort of on a budget...I have $220 right now and could expand to maybe $600 or $1000 (if necessary). A friend of my mom's suggested these bits on a $500 budget:
-AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz (CPU)
-4GB RAM (2 sticks of 2GB) G.SKILL Ripjaw series
-XFX GS250XYDFC GeForce GTS 250; 512MB (gfx card)
-ASUS M4A785TD-V Evo AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX (motherboard)
Would this work just fine? If so, what should I buy first so I can install it and keep using my computer? If not, what do you recomend?

(and yes, I'm not a super geek - I'm just a geek :P)

Save more money as getting a non DX11 card is pointless and getting an old mid range card will only last so long on new games.
Get DDR3 RAM 1333Mhz will be fine.
You said no need to upgrade HDD
An Intel 2500K go cheap these days due to ivy bridge.
An Asus 1155 Motherboard(get 100+ will be very good.

I forgot: I've been wanting to get away from Win XP - which is better? Windows 7 or Vista?

I'm nowhere near as smart as Grayfox on this type of thing, but from what I've heard you'd be better of with 7. Vista uses too many system resources to manage itself. (unfortunately, I'm stuck with Vista)

I forgot: I've been wanting to get away from Win XP - which is better? Windows 7 or Vista?

7, you'll only be able to get 7 anyways so.. yeah. Also it's around 79$ for a OEM copy.

This is a computer I built a few months ago, there are things that are out of stock on the list, however there are cards that are almost exactly the same on newegg. If you follow something like that list you should be set with a decent computer.

@ParkourVeyron, you're in no way "stuck" with Vista, if you pony up the cash you can order and upgrade copy to 7 from Microsoft. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...uctID.235488300/categoryID.50726100/list.true

Windows 8 will suck, Microsoft is going the way of the Apple.

Releasing a O/S each year or so and dropping support for their older ones fast.

I won't be getting Windows 8 as they make it more for the idiot.

A good example is adding the ribbon UI and not allowing users to change to the old menu style.

And then saying this is what people want.

bergauk
@ParkourVeyron, you're in no way "stuck" with Vista, if you pony up the cash you can order and upgrade copy to 7 from Microsoft. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/Windows-7-Home-Premium/productID.235488300/categoryID.50726100/list.true
Meh. I know I can upgrade, but it's $119 that could go towards something else, and my laptop is a few years old, so I don't know if it would even be worth it for my purposes. It's nowhere near powerful enough to run proper games, doesn't have a proper graphics card, and only gets about 20 FPS playing Minecraft if I tune Optifine right.

So, my question is, is it worth it to upgrade in terms of performance/ease of use, or would I be better off just waiting a few years and buying a new computer altogether?

Get a new computer or if you and to try a risk try a program called Vlite(same makers as Nlite) and remove some crap from Vista and make it run a little faster.

-AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processor
-2.0GHz; 2.32GHz overclocked (max)

Bit of a side question but what did you use to overclock this processor? because I have an Athlon 64 3200+ that I want to overclock and I think it can only be done using software.

It should be able to be done by the BIOS.

Some BIOS systems will require you to press F5 or F11/F12 or whichever F range buttons to display the voltage control and processor clock/multiplier speed. This is once you're in the BIOS main menu screen.

It should be able to be done by the BIOS.

Some BIOS systems will require you to press F5 or F11/F12 or whichever F range buttons to display the voltage control and processor clock/multiplier speed. This is once you're in the BIOS main menu screen.

I'l check my BIOS. Are all these older Athlon 64's unlocked then?

Bit of a side question but what did you use to overclock this processor? because I have an Athlon 64 3200+ that I want to overclock and I think it can only be done using software.

Through the BIOS - with mine, I just press Delete (or more like spam it) during startup.

Thanks a bunch guys! I'll try to save up some more monies later as I have a Mustang to take care of, a DFGT I want to buy, and a new Xbox do that I can finally play Forza 4 online for the first time (I miss tag from 3).

Back