Weird glitchy sound issue (PC)

• Thread starter Tyger
  • 3 comments
United Kingdom
UK
ReTyger
Hi guys hope one of you wise people can help. Recently I've increasingly experienced glitches during playback of music, it's almost as if it briefly lags so you get an ugly buzz/glitch sound, which as you can imagine can take the enjoyment out of listening to music somewhat. I think it also does it if say I start a game windowed and move the window whilst some music is playing, but it really shouldn't be struggling, have an i7 processor, 12GB of RAM, not a monster gaming rig by any means but usually pretty capable of multi tasking.

Another symptom is that occasionally (though less often) I hear little snippets of sound, as if they are echoing around from playback earlier. This can be music or chopped up speech, say from a Youtube video. A reboot usually solves this as they can be pretty loud and distracting. Seems to be some weird audio sync issue. Soundcard is a Sound Blaster X-Fi, tried to update the driver but it said it was already up to date.

Any ideas? I did have some issues a while back where the PSU fan seemed to be spooling up a lot and causing the occasional crash, however when I opened the casing up and gave a good blast with a can of compressed air (there was a lot of dust) it behaved itself again, although it does seem to whirr more than it used to when taxed graphically. Will replace the PSU soonish but could this be impacting the sound also?

Try updating your audio drivers by forcing it.
Uninstall the drivers in device manager and then checking the uninstall software box.
Reboot your PC.
Install latest drivers.

@Tyger

Do as @Grayfox says, update the drivers. From your description it sounds to me as though it might be graphics-card related (too much graphical processing shared through the main processor). Shouldn't really be an issue with i7 but worth a look.

Are the sounds definitely all being routed via the SB X-Fi?

Overall... update every driver you can ;)

Back