What are GT Sport Rally Cars based on?

• Thread starter Threule
  • 12 comments
ahhh....the beauty that was Group B. im a bit to young to remember watching it, but it was in my lifetime, and the replays/clips are fantastic.

I saw an excellent documentary on TV awhile back all about GR B

Some of them are too wide to be compared to actual rally versions of these cars
They are PD's idea of what Group B versions of these cars would be like.

Personally I find the entire concept a vast of resource in GTS as the events don't know what they want to be (not a rally stage and not a rallycross circuit), the stages are far to wide and the loose surface physics are utterly shocking.

Cars look nice, but that really doesn't make up for the rest.

ahhh....the beauty that was Group B. im a bit to young to remember watching it, but it was in my lifetime, and the replays/clips are fantastic.

I saw an excellent documentary on TV awhile back all about GR B
I watched them with great enthusiasm and still go and see them most years at various rally events around the UK.

What's most insane is that the last gen and current gen of cars are significant faster that even the most aggressive of group B cars were, to the tune of around a second a KM.

In fact I just remembered and checked, Top Gear put a S1 '83 Group B Quattro up against an Evo 8 340 (road car) around the Top Gear test track (S05 E08 if you want to watch) by 1.5 seconds.

Group B had the power and they were light, but they struggled to lay that power down.

Last edited:
I personally use the Gr.B Mustang on tracks, treat it like a tarmac rally car.

Whilst the physics on dirt are appalling, I enjoy them for making me concentrate and work out how to game them well enough to pass missions/circuit experience.

I believe there is some licensing around current and recent past WRC cars and the game franchise with the same game, so cars like Ford Fiesta, Hyundai i20, Citroen C3, Toyota Yaris or the previous VW Polo and so can't have rally versions on the game nor the "WRC" naming can be used.

So they used the naming "Group B", altough the Gr. B concept was completely different, as they were based on street legal cars of the same specs (to have a Peugeot 205 group B, Peugeot had to build 200 street legal 4wd, mid engine, 1.8 litre turbocharged 205 model), and the cars where super lightweight (to put in perspective, the minimum weight was related with engine displacement and cars like the Peugeot 205 or Lancia Delta S4 had a minimum weight of 890kg to about 450hp and Audi Quattro or MG Metro had a minimum weight of 960 kg to excess of 500hp on the Audi), most of the Gr. B in GT Sport are quite heavy. Except the Audi Quattro, the weight of the cars vary from 1180kg to 1380kg. So, right on point on HP figures, wrong on other aspects.
Another example is engine placement, there where many Gr. B cars, basically every low volume production versions (less 2500 units/year for version, 25000 units/year the whole model (like 2500 Evos/year, 25000 Lancer/year), but the true successful ones where mid engined, space frame "rockets", like Peugeot 205, Lancia Delta S4, Lancia 037, Ford RS200, only the Audi Sport Quattro was front engined until S1 version, only S2 was mid engined.

I believe there is some licensing around current and recent past WRC cars and the game franchise with the same game, so cars like Ford Fiesta, Hyundai i20, Citroen C3, Toyota Yaris or the previous VW Polo and so can't have rally versions on the game nor the "WRC" naming can be used.
You can't have the WRC spec versions from the last two years and this year, theoretically PD could work with the manufacturers to create rally versions that were not WRC spec (similar to how Dirt 4 doesn't have WRC spec versions, but does have R5 versions).

Its slightly ironic given that PD did have a WRC licence for GT5, and pretty much wasted it along with the Top Gear and NASCAR licence.

Oh well at least Dirt Rally, Dirt 4, SLRE and WRC 7 exist and do the rallying justice.

Group B cars in GT Sport are a mix between the real-life Group B, hillclimb cars (which may explain the Audi quattro and the Peugeot RCZ Gr. B Rally Car) but most importantly, they are basically borderline rallycross cars.

@Scaff Unless they can adjust the rally physics, I agree that the tracks are a waste of time.
However, the cars themselves are great fun on a track, I think it's about time we had a gr.B tarmac rally daily.

@Scaff Unless they can adjust the rally physics, I agree that the tracks are a waste of time.
However, the cars themselves are great fun on a track, I think it's about time we had a gr.B tarmac rally daily.
They did one a while ago, but locked the tuning to the dirt set-up. Around Suzuka it was a disaster........................

Group B cars in GT Sport are a mix between the real-life Group B, hillclimb cars (which may explain the Audi quattro and the Peugeot RCZ Gr. B Rally Car) but most importantly, they are basically borderline rallycross cars.
Not borderline, they are rallycross cars with headlights, V6's, and V8's.

Back