What are you listening to? (V)Music 

• Thread starter Sage
  • 32,505 comments
This one's for you @Yard_Sale!

Prince & The Revolution "Purple Rain" was released exactly 40 years ago on 26th of September 1984. The song was originally written as a country style piece in collaboration with Stevie Nicks. But after receiving 10-minute instrumental version Nicks felt overwhelmed and called Prince to say she can't do it. Prince brought it to the rehearsal of his backing band, The Revolution and they began working on it. Wendy Melvoin added some of her signature guitar chords and the song lost its country feeling. After several hours of playing it, they ended up with the song written and arranged in the power ballad style reaching Platinum and Gold status in countries around the world. Prince on the meaning of the song: "When there's blood in the sky... red and blue = purple. Purple rain pertains to the end of the world and being with the one you love and letting your faith/God guide you through the purple rain."

Ngoi Monon & Kalongo Anastase - Muleka Mwene Yombwe

Stephen Tsotsi Kasumali - Banakatekwe

Last edited:
This one's for you @Yard_Sale!

Prince & The Revolution "Purple Rain" was released exactly 40 years ago on 26th of September 1984. The song was originally written as a country style piece in collaboration with Stevie Nicks. But after receiving 10-minute instrumental version Nicks felt overwhelmed and called Prince to say she can't do it. Prince brought it to the rehearsal of his backing band, The Revolution and they began working on it. Wendy Melvoin added some of her signature guitar chords and the song lost its country feeling. After several hours of playing it, they ended up with the song written and arranged in the power ballad style reaching Platinum and Gold status in countries around the world. Prince on the meaning of the song: "When there's blood in the sky... red and blue = purple. Purple rain pertains to the end of the world and being with the one you love and letting your faith/God guide you through the purple rain."

Soooooo….

I’ve been up to a lot of things lately, that don’t include Sim Racing - mainly work - but nonetheless, I’m almost always listening to music

It’s coincidental that you bring up Purple Rain today, because Prince Rogers Nelson is firmly in my top 5 singer-musicians of all time. Truly a once in a (2) generation talent. Like Freddie…like Elton.

I’ve always loved this song, but to be honest, I was never a fan of Maroon 5 or Adam Levine - until I heard his cover of “Purple Rain”. It’s crazy. After listening to that, and his other music (that’s not necessarily my style), he’s almost a permanent top 5 singer/musician for me.

Currently, my top 5 is:

1.) My father in law. He’s a bassist, a guitarist, and a lead singer for two Filipino cover bands that cover two of my top 10’s. Johnny Cash and The Beatles

…and I’m married to his daughter, so…. 😂

2.) By a whisker, it’s Elton John. My number 3 rivals him in musical talent and vocal range, but in the end…Elton’s songs mean more to me.

3.) Freddie Mercury. Nuff’ said

4.) Prince Roger Nelson. Incredible vocals. Can wail on the guitar, the drums, and many other instruments

5.) Adam Levine, James Hetfield, Lynard Skinner, Randy Owen, Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie, a bunch of different blues artists, Daft Punk, ect…

Oh yeah… Santana as well as countless other unnamed Mexican artists as well

But here’s Adam at his best

Last edited:
Back