What game has the best Nürburgring?

• Thread starter Jedi2016
  • 13 comments
I'm putting this in "General Gaming" just to make sure it encompasses all consoles.

So far, I think of five console games that feature the 'Ring:

PGR2
PGR3
Forza
GT4
Enthusia

Now I know I'm not the only 'Ring fan out there. There's probably plenty of folks here who know as much about the place as I do, if not much more.

So, of the available games, which one do you think has the best version of the 'Ring?

I think most of them use the same track data, which is sold by Nürburgring GMBH to the gaming companies. But each one uses it differently.. sure, the shape of the track is the same, but the details are very different between them. The road surface may look different, the surroundings, the graffiti on the track, etc.

For example... I saw a video earlier today of the 'Ring as seen in Forza Motorsport on the Xbox (haven't played the game itself yet, although at only eight bucks at GS, I might pick it up soon). The track itself looked fine, but the surroundings seemed a bit off.. too brown, drab (the 'Ring is called "The GREEN Hell" for a reason). But, on the flip side, it's the only game out of the bunch to actually have spectators at Brünnchen (one of the most popular spectator spots on the track). That corner is always packed with RVs and Caravans, but in most games, it's just an empty space, or worse, filled with randomly-placed trees.

Now, it's safe to say that future games will also include the track... it seems to have become quite a mainstay in racing, as it should. PGR4 and Forza 2 will most likely have it, as will GT5 on the Playstation side of things. I just hope that gamers don't start to find the track "boring", at which point developers will stop including it in their games. Which would suck. 'Tis my favorite racing track in all the world, it is.

So what do you guys think? Which game has the best?

I would say Enthusia. I just find it more fo a rewarding, challenging and better looking drive, and more accurate than the others. I havnt played PGR3 though.

It's between GT4 and Enthusia, Enthusias is probabbly more accurate when it comes to the cambers, the scenery and the layout of the track in general, but GT4's has by far the more realistic surface, all the other games the track is far too smooth. If EPR's wasn't as smooth it would be the best imo, as it stands it's a tie with GT4's.

Forza's version is just horrible, its far too wide, which I strongly suspect was done to make it on-line friendly, its also to long (at 13.04 miles vs. the correct 12.94 miles), which I suspect comes from the increase in width. This makes a huge difference to the track as certain corners that should be difficult are suddenly very straight forward. Lastly a good number of the curbs are far, far to high.

Enthusia's version is by far and away the most accurate for corner structure, etc; but as has been said it almost totally ruined by the total lack of surface detail. The 'ring is bumpy and the faster you go the more of a difference that makes, and Enthusia's 'ring feels like its been resurfaced.

GT4's version is for me the current best balance, on the down side a couple of the corners are not quite right, the banking in the Karrosel does not effect teh car as much as it should and the jumps are a bit OTT. However its the only one that gets the track surface detail done well. The bumps are present and have a marked effect on the car and while the bamking may be off the feel of the Karrosel is done well.

Regards

Scaff

It might not be terribly accurate, but I'll always have a soft spot for the Grand Prix Legends version. IIRC it was the first game to feature an accurate version.

I couldn't find a whole lap, but you'll recognize the track.

Live4speed and Scaff already said what I was going to say.

In Enthusia, the geometry is good, in GT4, the graphics and bumps are good, and in Forza, nothing is good. :lol: The 'Rings in PGR2 and PGR3 are better than in Forza, but are still too wide/large.

I found a Nurburgring mod for rFactor that is pretty damn amazing

Has like 7 different layouts and weather / season changes

I'm trying to find a video of it...

Talking about necromancy. The Rfactor Nurburgring mod is great apart from 1 thing, they didnt get Karussel right, its too bumpy and in many of the mods i drive cars get caught or thrown off the track there, to the point where i often have to drive around the top part.

The Nurburgring in GT5 is by far and away the best version, its the most accurate to real life, looks the best and it isnt buggy like the Rfactor version. Though the physics in GT5 are far too forgiving of people who abuse the curbs or the grass at the side of the track and that takes away a lot of the skill needed to drive fast there. Even still, the track itself in GT5 has no competition in my opinion.

Although I have no experience with the real life ring apart from video footage, I found the rFactor version probably the least forgiving of the lot. This does not necessarily mean that it' s the most realistic, however it certainly lends a feeling of realism as it instils some fear of consequence if you drive poorly.

My personal favourite version however is the GTR Evolution incarnation of the Green Hell. I tend to find I'm quicker on this version than others (probably due to playing it more). I like the environment and it's details. Also feels like there are plenty of surface detail to unsettle the car if your being silly. I've also got a soft spot for the physics in Simbin games which certainly adds to the experience.

Back