What is it about Interlagos that makes people lose their minds?

United States
Indiana
pie4july
This game has the worst penalty system ever. What is it with people losing their minds at Interlagos? The clip below is all S/S and A/S drivers and is the single most reckless race I have ever been in.

Interlagos is not that hard of a track, yet somehow it always ends up being a smashing fest. I don't understand what is so difficult about it.

Three incidents -

Incident 1 - a car brake checks the driver behind him causing him to get rammed into me and causing me to crash. I received a one second penalty and he received a 10 second penalty. I was pissed, but the penalty system got it right, so I continued on.

Incident two - I get hit from behind causing me to hit the car in front of me and I receive a 5 second penalty. I am tapped again and turned sideways, but I save it and receive an additional one second. I am forced to pull over to avoid my penalty from further rising

Incident three - After nearly getting put into the front stretch wall, I go into turn one on the outside lane. A Lexus flies into the corner and dumps a Porsche. I avoid the carnage, but in the process a BMW passes me. As soon as the BMW gets in front of me he slows down, I hit him, then get rammed off the track by the car behind me and receive a 5 second penalty. I quit the game.

I think it's time I take an extended break from this game. The penalty system infuriates me to no end...

Interlagos is not that hard of a track, yet somehow it always ends up being a smashing fest. I don't understand what is so difficult about it.

Not entirely true. Everyone has good/bad track based on style. Yours just happens to be inter. Mine is maggiore. But I still think that higher up the ranks, you would expect races to be cleaner.

Always dirty races at Interlagos for me too, no idea what hat it is but people think they can pass just about anywhere!

I would be screaming at the screen for that, I’d have quit too.

Last edited:
LOok at the track layout and you'll find the answer self evident.

Those multple stacked 1st gear hairpins will always be problematic, even for the AI.

Also lots of unfenced run off? Bounded off concrete barriers are probably best for online.

Not entirely true. Everyone has good/bad track based on style. Yours just happens to be inter. Mine is maggiore. But I still think that higher up the ranks, you would expect races to be cleaner.

Interlagos is my best track when I don't get wrecked. I just frequently get wrecked there...

I have 17 sport mode wins and 11 of them have come at Interlagos. All eight poles I have earned in GTS have also come at Interlagos.

Always dirty races at Interlagos for me too, no idea what hat it is but people think they can pass just about anywhere!

I would be screaming at the screen for that, I’d have quit too.

I did scream.

Last edited:
It’s a very tough course. I’m not that good on it myself as a I struggle on a lot of the more technical turns. I think part of it has to do with the fact that a lot of people just don’t know how to properly drive it. So the hoopleheads that can’t handle the course and are frustrated by their lack of skill resort to wrecking their way through. It’s a lot like Monza in that it doesn’t attract the greatest people. The matchmaking only makes it worse because of the varying degree of skill sets on display.

Its because allot of corners require a wide entry at Interlagos. This makes people think there is a gap when there is actually not. You can take a tight entry to prevent them divebombing but you will lose allot time doing so.

As someone who had the pleasure to take a drive in part of the circuit(though I wasn't at a trackday), I can confirm that this is true.

Most corners at Interlagos tricks unexperienced drivers because of how they look wide, the Senna's S(first turn in the track) is the one that gives me more issues to properly tackle, I either brake too early and end becoming a obstacle for whoever is behind me, or I overcook the braking point, running wide.

And the section with multiple 1st-2nd gear corners are very problematic as well.

Which is why I badly want to see the rain in this track, it makes it 10x more challenging.

It’s a really technical track with a lot o elevation change and bumps. I think that’s the whole deal why Interlagos is a classic. It’s freaking hard to get fast and consistent at this track! Plus, rain. Lots of rain in real life. My home town :).
I remember my dad telling me stories about people from around the world coming to Brasil to race muscle cars there and losing to Brazilian versions of European sport cars (Alpine / Interlagos) made of fiber glass, because of the weight and turn in capabilities.

Maybe I'm just biased because of my success on the track, but Interlagos is one of the only tracks I understand really well in this game. All I do is break in the orange cone zone and I'm only a couple tenths off the top 10! It seems so easy to me...

I don't see how people qualify faster than me, but then cannot even do a clean lap.

Its because allot of corners require a wide entry at Interlagos. This makes people think there is a gap when there is actually not. You can take a tight entry to prevent them divebombing but you will lose allot time doing so.
This.

Lot’s of late apex’s make it look like there’s a gap when there isn’t.

Pretty much. Wide track requiring wide arcs for fastest lap times. Doing that in a race, however, is an open invitation for someone to stick their nose into openings thinking it's driver error rather than design. Try to take a more defensive line and you lose speed down the next stretch of road. That leads to the field stacking up behind you and it only takes one slip-up for everyone to pounce on it.

Best hope is to qualify close enough to the front and have someone around you that is willing to let you run your lines for the first two laps. That way, you'll likely pull a big enough gap from the inevitable stackup that happens around midpack. Oh, and never pick a car that will be a rolling chicane down the long straight. Worst thing to happen is if you end up side-by-side at the Senna S. That's a recipe for disaster.

This game has the worst penalty system ever. What is it with people losing their minds at Interlagos? The clip below is all S/S and A/S drivers and is the single most reckless race I have ever been in.

Three incidents -

Incident 1 - a car brake checks the driver behind him causing him to get rammed into me and causing me to crash. I received a one second penalty and he received a 10 second penalty. I was pissed, but the penalty system got it right, so I continued on.

Incident two - I get hit from behind causing me to hit the car in front of me and I receive a 5 second penalty. I am tapped again and turned sideways, but I save it and receive an additional one second. I am forced to pull over to avoid my penalty from further rising

Incident three - After nearly getting put into the front stretch wall, I go into turn one on the outside lane. A Lexus flies into the corner and dumps a Porsche. I avoid the carnage, but in the process a BMW passes me. As soon as the BMW gets in front of me he slows down, I hit him, then get rammed off the track by the car behind me and receive a 5 second penalty. I quit the game.

I think it's time I take an extended break from this game. The penalty system infuriates me to no end...

For starters any track you race people will try to pass at the worst spots, they think if they can get a bumper beside you they should under any circumstance. Interlagos is tough because there is so much heavy braking and many slow corners, most racers in GT Sport do not not fully know exactly what the brakes do yet, give it time partner, I hold out hope for the same.

Like I said in another thread, it's too difficult to overtake, resulting in people getting frustrated and trying to smash their way through.

GT5 was way cleaner despite there being no penalty system and no SR! GT5 had more slipstreaming effect so overtaking was better but you still needed to be on their arse to setup for the pass.

Back