What new wheel for GT Sport?

• Thread starter Kozlowsky
  • 15 comments

What wheel do you buying for GT Sport considering T300 RS known issues and problems?

• Logitech G29 - old technology but reliable

• TM t150 RS

• TM t300 RS

• TM t500 RS

Results are only viewable after voting.
Poland
Warsaw - POLAND
Kozlowsky
Guys, I've tracked almost all internet and every forum.... Seems Thrustmaster have a big problem with those wheels. Especially T300 and T150 (T150 less). This is very disappointing since GT Sport is supporting only thrustmaster and Logitech G29. I was going to buy T300RS GT edition but now considering all of it I think I might be getting logitech G29 (I know its old wheel but is a least reliable) and enjoy playing GT sport (not waiting moths to swap repaired t300 units on and on wasting my time) :(

Please let me know if any of You have problems with the newest T300RS GT edition. I know the base servo is the same with T300RS but they might be updated the hardware inside. My hear is torn. G29 or T300RS GT or old T500RS?

If you have a good local store which will honor warranty (like in many EU countries where 2 year warranty via the store is compulsory) then the T300 is the way to go. It has 50% more power than a G29, similarly low turning resistance, none of the cogging, much smoother. It's basically a better wheel than the logitech in every single way.

Without easy access to good warranty support I agree that there is a little more risk going Thrustmaster. I know the G29 has had more issues than the G25/27 ever did, but T300 has been worse (although the biggest problems were with the first batches). I suspect we get a bad view of the real level of problems with T300 since so many PS4 wheel racers are on GTP and will post to complain about problems, whereas the vast majority of users are just running their wheels and not having anything to complain about.

My own T300 is over 3 years old now. I had to RMA my first T300 because I got a launch T300 which was part of the first batch and had a strange clunking (bad tolerance on the shaft), but the replacement has been fine. And most likely a brand new T300GT will be fine for you too.

[[Edit: Just for reference, I had used a G25 for about 6 years before I got my T300. I used the T300 for a week then waited for the replacement for a few weeks. I tried my G25 during that time, but had already been spoiled by the T300, so I opted to stop playing race sims until my replacement T300 came. That's how big the difference is for me]]

As for the T500... I have both T300 and T500 so I can compare them (and have done so in many forum posts if you search). The T500 is more powerful (about twice as powerful as a G29), but has more internal resistance, which gives a less enjoyable experience because you feel that resistance when making delicate movements. It feels more like an old car without good power steering, compared to the T300. The belt/bearing tech inside the T500 is rather outdated compared to more modern wheels (like T300, T-GT, Fanatecs) so I find it hard to recommend buying one.

To be honest, the best option right now for PS4 seems like the Fanatec CSL Elite PS4-edition bundle with the CSL Elite pedals. But you would need to have faith in Fanatec fixing the current lack of support in GT Sport demo quickly, otherwise you might be without a wheel at launch.

Last edited:
It seems that the majority of problems with the T300 were because of the fan. They did not move enough air around due to being too small, thats why we got alot of ffb fading...it was getting too hot, also it was a poor quality fan that often ended up making loud and strange sounds because of its bearings. Thrustmaster certainly learnt their lesson as they dont make them like that anymore. A larger and quiter fan is in all newer T300’s and servo bases. Even when i race solid for hours with maxed out ffb, I don’t get any ffb fading now.

All the issues with the T300 made me get the G29 (coming from dfgt). It does the job well, but with this new generation of racing games the cogging, deadzone and smaller rim and is really bothering me. I've seen recently bought T300 also fail. I'm holding off till I see reviews comparing the TGT and CSL elite. The TGT is overpriced.. but just maybe the Depth feedback (T-DFB) might be worth upgrading over loadcell pedals (csl elite LC)

So I recommend the G29 above the t500 and t300 if your budget is 200-400. Just a more reliable package for the casual gamer. If you are hardcore skip these and get either TGT or CSL elite

All the issues with the T300 made me get the G29 (coming from dfgt). It does the job well, but with this new generation of racing games the cogging, deadzone and smaller rim and is really bothering me. I've seen recently bought T300 also fail. I'm holding off till I see reviews comparing the TGT and CSL elite. The TGT is overpriced.. but just maybe the Depth feedback (T-DFB) might be worth upgrading over loadcell pedals (csl elite LC)

So I recommend the G29 above the t500 and t300 if your budget is 200-400. Just a more reliable package for the casual gamer. If you are hardcore skip these and get either TGT or CSL elite
The Loadcell pedals will make a MUCH bigger difference than the "Depth feedback". Fanatec already has vibrating motors in some of their wheels and it doesn't change the game like a loadcell pedal will.

The Loadcell pedals will make a MUCH bigger difference than the "Depth feedback". Fanatec already has vibrating motors in some of their wheels and it doesn't change the game like a loadcell pedal will.
Actually...

I played Forza 4 with Clubsport v1 pedals, and the brake was set to rumble at something like 65% pressure, which coincided with just before the moment tyres would lock up when using standard setups and no ABS. It was very handy to be able to modulate the brake using rumble as a cue that the tyres in game were about to lock up :)

How important is budget? If I had money to blow I would've considered the CSL Elite for PS4, but I didn't want to spend that much so I went for the G29. Coming from a DFGT, the G29 is definitely an upgrade and I've been very happy with it.

Actually...

I played Forza 4 with Clubsport v1 pedals, and the brake was set to rumble at something like 65% pressure, which coincided with just before the moment tyres would lock up when using standard setups and no ABS. It was very handy to be able to modulate the brake using rumble as a cue that the tyres in game were about to lock up :)
In this case, the pedals vibrate.

For the T-GT, it seems to be the wheel itself, which is quite different.

From what I understand it isn't just vibration. More like a buttkicker (never used one). So hopefully you'll get far more detail in road feel then just vibration.

Thank you guys for your thoughts and comments. I have only 2-3 days to decide with what I should go... :confused:
I read in some technical specifications that GT version of T300 RS are more durable and have more metal parts inside + dual belt system.
On thrustmaster site it is also mentioned.

My budget is max 400$.
The GT version of the T300 is the same as the regular T300. Only the pedals and the logo on the wheel change. Some people mentionned a stronger fan for cooling too, can't personally confirm.

Go for the T300 GT if you can, better pedals than the standard T300.

I personally didn't like the rubber rim of the GT version. So I went for the g29, because of reliability. I regret the choice a bit. Not because I'm not satisfied with the g29. But I can't upgrade the rim with a larger one or open wheel style rim. So that's also a factor. If I had the choice again I would have gone for the t300 alcantara and purchase the Ferrari f1 rim later.

My very first wheel was a Fanatec, all the way back when they had the GT3 RS V1 version. It was a great value for 299$ at the time, with club sport pedals that were very solid aluminum and were heavy. As well as GT3 RS wheel which was solid feeling wheel with alcantara rim. The rim was thick and the ffb was very strong. It had it's issues though, the H shifter was not calibrated properly out of the box. You couldn't get into 6th gear I remember. Also you could hear the belt or some noise that sounded like scratching travel luggage. I didn't have a good stand for it so I'm sure it would be a great wheel without those issues. But, then you needed to get a V3 or V2 kit and convert everything yourself. I found about that way later when the kit was no longer available. So I was kind of disappointed but I still have both laying around.

I'm sure they have most of those hardware issues solved by now but they seem to be expensive. If I was willing to spend that money would definitely look at them but make sure they are compatible with what I want. I now have a T150 and the wheel is solid feeling, the feedback is smooth and strong, although the T300 is probably even smoother and more detailed. The plastic doesn't bother me, the rubber is fine. The T300 has rubber all around and it might be higher quality, I don't know. The standard pedals are fine on the T150, they will do the job for me until they break and I have to get the upgraded ones. I tape them down with tape from home depot that is very strong so they don't slide around, lol.

No reliability issues yet that I've noticed. I don't put FFB on high. So far having plenty of fun with it. In future will upgrade to T300 when it goes even lower in price or something else.

I agree. The load cell is a game changer. You won’t know how much til you use one. Its hard to describe.

Back