What's best to upgrade when your racing?

• Thread starter Uh_Oh
  • 42 comments
Exhaust and computer chip usually top my list. Those are usually followed by a stage 1 weight reduction and then I usually start saving up for the racing suspension.

Tires... same in teh game as in real life. Will give you the most bang for your buck. Weight cutting is also a biggy at the start.

In GT3... I found upgrading to a sporty tranny helped alot too, most cars seem geared too tall.

For those races in Beginner and Professional Halls you are restricted to street or sport tyres only and those usually come when you get/buy a car. So there is no point going for tyres if you can't use them (in those races I have mentioned). Out of the 15 or so cars I have won/bought and modified in GT4 I have only bought one set of race tyres which I could use and I think that was for one of those BMW races.

I usually go for exhaust, mod chip, weigh reduction and then brakes.

i think for beginner races, stock (the one comes with the car) tires are good enough.
i will usually get either suspension upgrade or intake/exhaust
there's few second diff between a good setup and a worst, play with your suspension before putting anything that increase the hp

Cheapest option for a bit of extra oomph was always the mod chip.

Next to that, I'd opt for the lowest level of weight reduction and the combination of both choices might just be enough to zoom past the chequered flag in 1st place without too much damage to the points system.

Only a thought...

It depends on the car.

Changing the tires and tuning the suspension accordingly (if you can) would be a primary choice.

If you need greater overall power output, upgrade the CPU.

Weight reduction.. flywheel.. both will give you better acceleration.

But like changing the exhaust on a stock Evo will mess with the torque in the lower RPM range, effectively doing more harm than good..

As I say, it depends on the car.

Usually my first mods are:

1.) Exhaust
2.) Clutch
3.) Racing chip
4.) Flywheel

Depending on how I'm feeling I will sometimes interchange one of those with tires also.

i have always the slogan in my head when i'f bought a car gt 3 like this:

''power is nothing without control'' (pirelli)

so, if you blast yeh car with turbo's and intecooler's, all that hot stuff, and you have just the standard susp and weight and brakes.....it's going wrong, trust me!! :)

gr. Civicterror

p.s....i'looking forward to race that 240 gl estate from Volv....so much power, without the susp,brake,weight!!

that would be hot, because things would happend like this:

240GLT_green_citta-daria-02.jpg

you see, that front susp is just to it's limit!!

loving it!! 💡

Mod chip first.

Then First Stage Weight Reduction.

Then a sport suspension.

Racing wheel and racing clutch.

Then tires.

I usually follow this formula but it depends on the car. Cars with gear changing problems will get a fly wheel and clutch first.

If you want to learn how to really drive, then tires are the best performance upgrade.

If you don't know how to drive at all, and don't care to learn, then just slap the most HP on the car as possible and wallride, corner cut, and bash the AI aside for the victory.

The choice is yours, are you a man or a mouse?:)

I usually get to a suspension upgrade or the something to increase the accleration.

Tyres first - always

The only part of the car that comes into contact with the road, if your tyres are not up to spec then anything else you do is compromised.

Always amazed how many people forget about this both in RL and GT

I don't agree with getting tires first at all. It teaches slopy driving habits, I think. I can do just as well on stock tires as I can do on sport tires. If you maintain a proper racing line, stock tires handle very well. I usually buy race tires, and skip the sport tires completely. Buying tires, for me, seems more like a luxury item, like racing exhaust.

What teaches slop is power.

Tires are the most important upgrade in real life, for many reasons. They improve the all around limits of the car, but if its still underpowered, you will suffer when you mess up.

TIRES DAMNIT. So many people forget that in the game and at the track... I've seen some riced cars with mods.. on crap tires.. its a JOKE to watch them.

I agree, going for more HP is the worst offender when allowing for poor driving techinque. But, you can't look past the tire issue. I can do very well on just stock tires. But, once you have everything else in check, before adding more considerable amounts of HP, tires would be the next addition to a tuner car.

Solid Lifters
I don't agree with getting tires first at all. It teaches slopy driving habits, I think. I can do just as well on stock tires as I can do on sport tires. If you maintain a proper racing line, stock tires handle very well. I usually buy race tires, and skip the sport tires completely.
I fully agree with your comments. Tires are usually one of the last things I get.

not much point of getting racing tires in GT4, most cars come with S-Tires stock, these are already very capable track tires. they even look like Advan A048 tires. there are alot more race that restricted to normal tires only and not racing.

I have to agree with CFM and other people who reccomended tires. The Gran Turismo series is so old, I can remember playing GT1 before I really knew anything about cars and my creations were usually poorly tuned cars with way too much horsepower. Now, I've learned a lot more about driving and tuning in real life and I treat the game like what its supposed to be -- a simulation. You have to be retarded to get intake/headers/exhaust/chip in real life over a set of tires, and the same goes for the game. I mean, if you were making a car exclusively for 'test track' then obviously you could make an argument for those other mods, but come on, lets get serious.

edit: I also never get racing tires for street rides. Sport tires, keepin it real.

Sport Tires performs well enough for cars under 500 bhp (M5 came with stock Sport tires and they drive awesome), so for starters, the key is....

Power to weight ratio!!!

Let's say if we have very little money at the beginning, what's the best way to improve the power to weight ratio? Chips? That gets you like 10 bhp max, exhaust??? maybe 20 bhp, and you risk losing low end torque. So what's the best way to improve power to weight ratio? Stage 1 Weight reduction. It only cost 1200 CR and you can lose 10%+ of the weight easily, and this is an investment that won't go to waste. (if you get a stage 1 turbo, you are likely to upgrade to stage 2, 3, and 4 later) and all the previous investment would've gone to waste.

FIRST change the oil! :) new car old car.. wutever in a new car changing the oil gives quite a bit of horsepower increase on the M5 that I bought 508 was stated in the car shop but after oil change 534 ... magic oil? hhaha

second thing i try to get is lighten the car if it's not light enough
like euro cars tend to be heavier.

Other than that. I'd get a new exhaust and chip or even a sport suspension

I don't really like increasing the power until I know I'm going up against super power cars on a high speed track

Back