When will it stop.

• Thread starter Ancullen
  • 68 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I'm not sure how much more of this I can take,

I love gt. I have been playing on and off since the first release back on the psone. I class my self as an experienced driver and tend to take qualifying and racing very serious.

My problem is the daily races and the Dr and Sr rating.

Now I know there is most likely another thread for this if so please let me know.

Now I know I'm good for a decent Dr and Sr rating. I have only come back to gt sport just over a month ago and I can't seem to get past drc srb. I managed to get to that rating on the manufacturer championship as it was blue moon speedy way and its pretty easy to have a clean race there.

Now currently iv been knocked down to Dr d Sr d.

Before anyone says you must be doing something wrong.... I disagree.
Once you get knocked into these categorys I find it nigh on impossible to claw out of it. People literally hit me even if I attempt to give way and lighten the throttle. I brake for corners to avoid rear ending people. I'm competitive yet fair.

Now if someone rear ends me. Or cuts me up I get penalised. Its not right. Its pretty much ruining the entire online experience for me. Not only do I get a penalty 9 times out of ten i lose my position and can't make it up again.

I put it down to absolute idiots with no care for the game.

Now if I was to start and let everyone pass and finish clean would that rise my Dr rating? I know my Sr would rise.

Currently racing the beetle gr3 as its the only thing that I can control after being hit so much.

Lap time of 1.34.997 on Tokyo South outer. Bop.

Rant over.

I love gt. I have been playing on and off since the first release back on the psone. I class my self as an experienced driver and tend to take qualifying and racing very serious.

Now I know there is most likely another thread for this if so please let me know.

Now I know I'm good for a decent Dr and Sr rating. I have only come back to gt sport just over a month ago and I can't seem to get past drc srb. I managed to get to that rating on the manufacturer championship as it was blue moon speedy way and its pretty easy to have a clean race there.

Once you get knocked into these categorys I find it nigh on impossible to claw out of it. People literally hit me even if I attempt to give way and lighten the throttle. I brake for corners to avoid rear ending people. I'm competitive yet fair.

Now if someone rear ends me. Or cuts me up I get penalised. Its not right. Its pretty much ruining the entire online experience for me. Not only do I get a penalty 9 times out of ten i lose my position and can't make it up again.

Now if I was to start and let everyone pass and finish clean would that rise my Dr rating? I know my Sr would rise.

Currently racing the beetle gr3 as its the only thing that I can control after being hit so much.

Rant over.
Try to rebuild your SR by cruising around the back and when you get to 99, you can start racing with clean drivers.

Certain tracks are just a bad idea to race on and Tokoyo happens to be one of them. Most people you race against are going to try to out brake you to pass. What works nicely for me is enter the corners a little easy and pick up throttle early and pass by getting a run on your opponents. That also gives you a little more control thru the corners for when you are rear ended or some pushes up high, you have a couple more options than if you brake late and are on the traction limit to the apex.

Thanks for the repies people. It's nice to know there is people out there that want to use the game as it should be.

One thing pd could implement in my opinion for the next release would be.... Instead of a video for racing etiquette maybe they should implement a race licence. Set up in a way to weed out those that are not serious. And for those that are not serious they can stick to lobby play. After all gt was built around being a sim, those in the ranks of dr d play to a need for speed style in my opinion.

For SR - Pick your tracks carefully. I liked the Tokyo track, but SR is shot to hell after a dozen or so races there - down to SR D or C from A.

Suzuka this week will probably get me back up to SR A or even S if I run enough races.

DR is what it is. I don't really care what my DR is - it is only something to matchmaking as far as I can see.

For SR - Pick your tracks carefully. I liked the Tokyo track, but SR is shot to hell after a dozen or so races there - down to SR D or C from A.

Suzuka this week will probably get me back up to SR A or even S if I run enough races.

DR is what it is. I don't really care what my DR is - it is only something to matchmaking as far as I can see.

Yea you might be right. I'm looking at it as match making. And I would like to be matched with people not necessarily that I can beat but people that I can compete with with out taking the piss out of the rules. At the end of the day it's a game but I suppose its how you want to play it.

Thanks for the reminder I totally forgot the tracks update today.

Yea you might be right. I'm looking at it as match making. And I would like to be matched with people not necessarily that I can beat but people that I can compete with with out taking the piss out of the rules. At the end of the day it's a game but I suppose its how you want to play it.

Thanks for the reminder I totally forgot the tracks update today.
Another thing to consider is your choice of car to race. The beetle was not a good race car. Very good to set a Q lap with though - maintains high corner speed, good on the curbs. However, it is not fast on the straights. The idiots that don't care will ram you constantly through the tunnel, into the right hander after the tunnel, in the chicane and even into turn 1. Also once they ram you and get by, you will not be able to pass them in the parts where you have superior pace because you are probably trying to race fair. Of course you will not be able to pass them on the straights. You might be able to get them at the hairpin but the whole process starts again. Rinse and repeat for 5 laps.
Last Monday, I tried out a few GR3cars, got my best pace in the beetle. On my fist race all this happened to me after starting 5th. I switched to the Lexus and never finished below 5th and even had 2 wins (I did switch and ran the M6 for a few races and always lost places. I can't figure out the turbo lag in that thing) . BTW I am not fast. I only have a 56 kudosprime fast rating and a BS.

Long and short, pick your race car so you are not prey for these non caring idiots. Might not be the same as your qualifying car and might not even be the meta car.

Another thing to consider is your choice of car to race. The beetle was not a good race car. Very good to set a Q lap with though - maintains high corner speed, good on the curbs. However, it is not fast on the straights. The idiots that don't care will ram you constantly through the tunnel, into the right hander after the tunnel, in the chicane and even into turn 1. Also once they ram you and get by, you will not be able to pass them in the parts where you have superior pace because you are probably trying to race fair. Of course you will not be able to pass them on the straights. You might be able to get them at the hairpin but the whole process starts again. Rinse and repeat for 5 laps.
Last Monday, I tried out a few GR3cars, got my best pace in the beetle. On my fist race all this happened to me after starting 5th. I switched to the Lexus and never finished below 5th and even had 2 wins (I did switch and ran the M6 for a few races and always lost places. I can't figure out the turbo lag in that thing) . BTW I am not fast. I only have a 56 kudosprime fast rating and a BS.

Long and short, pick your race car so you are not prey for these non caring idiots. Might not be the same as your qualifying car and might not even be the meta car.

Thanks. My reason for the beetle was its a safe car I. E easier to handle. My general go to car is the m3 but found it a bit boaty for Tokyo.

Change of topic. Does anybody know how to pick the top ten lap time replays. As in discover I'm having trouble finding replays of top times for specific laps.

For example I got a 1.34.997 running the beetle on manual tc0 abs weak all other assists off.

My reason being is a just can not top that time, if someone could direct me to a relevant thread that would be great.

Looking at your lap time for Tokyo, you're probably a solid DRB so you have some skill. Try using that skill to play the long game instead?

Limit your own mistakes and capitalise on everyone else's whilst choosing your battles with care. Most of the time, you can use other peoples aggression against them or just keep them under pressure to try and force a mistake. Never force the issue and always prioritise the risk over the reward. Lower your expectations of other people's race craft until they prove otherwise. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst .

Above all else, get a thicker skin for online racing. Some drivers will always do things you don't agree with (makes them look baaad:D) but it's really not worth getting worked up about and reacting to. I race the same way as I play Hold'em. After a bad beat, I forget about it and move on to the next hand.

if someone could direct me to a relevant thread that would be great.

Click on podium icon before entering the race and you'll see top 10 for your region and friends times. If they have a red play button next to them, you can watch their lap to learn from.

Looking at your lap time for Tokyo, you're probably a solid DRB so you have some skill. Try using that skill to play the long game instead?

Limit your own mistakes and capitalise on everyone else's whilst choosing your battles with care. Most of the time, you can use other peoples aggression against them or just keep them under pressure to try and force a mistake. Never force the issue and always prioritise the risk over the reward. Lower your expectations of other people's race craft until they prove otherwise. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst .

Above all else, get a thicker skin for online racing. Some drivers will always do things you don't agree with (makes them look baaad:D) but it's really not worth getting worked up about and reacting to. I race the same way as I play Hold'em. After a bad beat, I forget about it and move on to the next hand.

Click on podium icon before entering the race and you'll see top 10 for your region and friends times. If they have a red play button next to them, you can watch their lap to learn from.
Very helpful thank you.

Thanks. My reason for the beetle was its a safe car I. E easier to handle. My general go to car is the m3 but found it a bit boaty for Tokyo.

Change of topic. Does anybody know how to pick the top ten lap time replays. As in discover I'm having trouble finding replays of top times for specific laps.

For example I got a 1.34.997 running the beetle on manual tc0 abs weak all other assists off.

My reason being is a just can not top that time, if someone could direct me to a relevant thread that would be great.
You have picked a very difficult race, Tokyo is a penalty nightmare, I normally run at B/B but got reset this week by constantly getting punted into the wall. Have managed to scrape back up to B/B. I know i should have stayed away from Race B but I was enjoying it too much.

You have picked a very difficult race, Tokyo is a penalty nightmare, I normally run at B/B but got reset this week by constantly getting punted into the wall. Have managed to scrape back up to B/B. I know i should have stayed away from Race B but I was enjoying it too much.
I hear that. As much as I play it as a sim, it is an enjoyable track so it's hard to dismiss.

Also pick your time to race. Late at night usually has higher racing standards. Yesterday it was pretty dirty / reckless on Sarthe until 11 pm (EST). Then it cleaned up and I did not get punted anymore. Before that, every race from 9:30 pm I got bumped off, sometimes 3 times in a race.

I have been racing a lot and you get cleaner racing when the kids are in school or before they get up. 5 am to 7 am clean. Dirty until schools start, Clean until 3 pm ish. Dirty until the evening. Also beware of the drunk crowd on Friday and Saturday night.

Also pick your time to race. Late at night usually has higher racing standards. Yesterday it was pretty dirty / reckless on Sarthe until 11 pm (EST). Then it cleaned up and I did not get punted anymore. Before that, every race from 9:30 pm I got bumped off, sometimes 3 times in a race.

I have been racing a lot and you get cleaner racing when the kids are in school or before they get up. 5 am to 7 am clean. Dirty until schools start, Clean until 3 pm ish. Dirty until the evening. Also beware of the drunk crowd on Friday and Saturday night.

Thanks. Great advice.

Fortunately the gr4 race a today is a great way to raise my ratings. Touch wood

Rant over.

People have already given great suggestions and advice.

I'd just like to add, try to get the best possible qualifying time you can, The higher up the grid you start for your DR rank the better. This may put you in faster rooms with DR:A and A+ drivers, but concentrate on beating your peers in these lobbies. Stay as clean as you can and pick your overtakes. Starting mid pack can turn into a nightmare. Starting at the back with no qualifying time can also help by letting the carnage unfold in front of you and pick your way through the corpses.

As has been mentioned, pick your races carefully. There are some tracks I will not touch in sport mode as some people cannot drive/race properly and you'll get caught up in other peoples crashes/mistakes. (e.g Tokyo and sometimes Bathurst).

Don't let your ranking get in the way. That will settle down to your true pace eventually.

Drive quickly but with a bit more care. Don't presume anything. Unless you know names in the lobbies, treat everybody as an idiot. Sometimes it's better to let someone pass, then let them crash and pick up the pieces.

I'd just like to add, try to get the best possible qualifying time you can, The higher up the grid you start for your DR rank the better. This may put you in faster rooms with DR:A and A+ drivers, but concentrate on beating your peers in these lobbies.

Is that true? I'm B/S right now and haven't been participating in the races much but I still set a qualifying time. I usually can get in the top 200 and even top 100 times for my region but it seems I get matched with DR A/A+ frequently, they are tough to beat. I have been having a tough time increasing my DR, is it because of my Q times?

I'd just like to add, try to get the best possible qualifying time you can, The higher up the grid you start for your DR rank the better.

@Ancullen

I respectfully disagree with @Mr616 on this point only because it's relative. If you are DR B or better and SR S, then qualifying is an important part of increasing rank.

However, looking at your ranking, I would avoid qualifying and try to start as far down the grid as possible. You can run a cleaner race if you can keep the riff raff ahead of you. Running clean races will boost your SR considerably and then, your matchmaking with put you into rooms with (relatively) cleaner racers. Once SR S is achieved, I would stick to the back of the pack. You can gain position through attrition and careful passes. You'll increase to an DR B fairly rapidly by doing this.

@Sven Jurgens uses this tactic. It seems to work well for him.

I realise it's all a bit late now, but seeing as you asked, I also gave the Beetle a go.
And I happened to save the replay.

Same settings, but ABS at Default.
Hit a 1:32.5
Not a Top Ten time, but I'ld call it a fairly solid run for the Beetle on that track.

Anyway, I did a quick Shareplay upload in case you were interested.

I realise it's all a bit late now, but seeing as you asked, I also gave the Beetle a go.
And I happened to save the replay.

Same settings, but ABS at Default.
Hit a 1:32.5
Not a Top Ten time, but I'ld call it a fairly solid run for the Beetle on that track.

Anyway, I did a quick Shareplay upload in case you were interested.

That was a very nice clean lap. And it showed me what points I was going wrong, so thanks :)

I got my SR killed at BMB over the weekend dropped to SR 36 and the crowd was something else. Drivers who cut faster q laps than me but DR C/D SR B stats gets me nervous. I was entering races focussed on gaining SR only to get plowed into from the inside take penalty and crash SR down SR down like come on man.

I got lucky a few times where a 2 to 4 car pack would get a gap on the rest and while the back pack crashed around, the front guys were okay for the most part. A few times I had to summon the Spirit of drivers past to take the wheel and swerve me around crashing out cars or guys from behind cutting across the track.

One guy was special lol

Going in turn one BMB hes in the outside lane I go a bit inside so as not to rear end him if he brakes early and get a run on him out the corner from a less wide turn. He cuts to my lane in front me maybe a foot separates us, I cut back to the outside he cuts in front me DUDE WTF I brake early to give him room, he brakes way too late in outside lane starts wall riding I sneak by he gets a penalty. However buddy didn't lose momentum off the wall he passed me on the straight cuz my early braking to a oid him cost me speed out the corner.

This genius decides to serve his penalty with me on his tail going into turn one.... Seriously? Way way way before braking point buddy lets off and cruise a bit then tag his brakes while swerving around so nobody can get a nose in on him.

Thankfully I was able to make the perfect outside to inside pass on him in the corner, his BS cost him too much speed he didnt have a run on me this time. I get a gap on him and he don't come close to me rest of the race, just dissapearred out of my rear view.

Sneaky and Dirty serving penalties going into corners in traffic like that.

Something I also noticed. If I get a penalty and try to serve it on the straights a bit at a time SR hit was big from penalty. If I pull to the inside right away, let off for full penalty letting other cars pass conceding position, my SR didn't take as much of a hit. Now could be other factors at play here and what I noticed unconnected but it seems like drawing out the penalty to serve it without hurting your race in the end hurts your SR. Could even be finishing with un served penalty cost a lot of SR

Annnyhooo

Some careful driving not caring about where I finish my SR started climbing

Drivers got cleaner, races got fun again

Before I knew it my SR is moving up fast the crowd getting better and better Im back to SR S

I also think people dont realize being a slow car is dangerous. You brake way before braking points follow improper lines and varying what your doing so much its hard to anticipate you. Track Position Trumps Optimum Line also, its not a TT lots if people on the fast line start cutting down from the outside even tho the inside car has track position going into the inside car, get penalized and start arguing its the optimum line even though they lost track position before the maneuver... Sometimes even though we think its not our fault, it really is.

Then there are aggressive moves while legal are super risky because of varying skill levels on the track sometimes if you see other drivers are driving well enough you can pull them off BUT pick your battles, sometimes that move will be too much for them to handle and start a chain reaction in the corner, talking from experience here.

I got my SR killed at BMB over the weekend dropped to SR 36 and the crowd was something else. Drivers who cut faster q laps than me but DR C/D SR B stats gets me nervous. I was entering races focussed on gaining SR only to get plowed into from the inside take penalty and crash SR down SR down like come on man.

I got lucky a few times where a 2 to 4 car pack would get a gap on the rest and while the back pack crashed around, the front guys were okay for the most part. A few times I had to summon the Spirit of drivers past to take the wheel and swerve me around crashing out cars or guys from behind cutting across the track.

One guy was special lol

Going in turn one BMB hes in the outside lane I go a bit inside so as not to rear end him if he brakes early and get a run on him out the corner from a less wide turn. He cuts to my lane in front me maybe a foot separates us, I cut back to the outside he cuts in front me DUDE WTF I brake early to give him room, he brakes way too late in outside lane starts wall riding I sneak by he gets a penalty. However buddy didn't lose momentum off the wall he passed me on the straight cuz my early braking to a oid him cost me speed out the corner.

This genius decides to serve his penalty with me on his tail going into turn one.... Seriously? Way way way before braking point buddy lets off and cruise a bit then tag his brakes while swerving around so nobody can get a nose in on him.

Thankfully I was able to make the perfect outside to inside pass on him in the corner, his BS cost him too much speed he didnt have a run on me this time. I get a gap on him and he don't come close to me rest of the race, just dissapearred out of my rear view.

Something I also noticed. If I get a penalty and try to serve it on the straights a bit at a time SR hit was big from penalty. If I pull to the inside right away, let off for full penalty letting other cars pass conceding position, my SR didn't take as much of a hit. Now could be other factors at play here and what I noticed unconnected but it seems like drawing out the penalty to serve it without hurting your race in the end hurts your SR. Could even be finishing with un served penalty cost a lot of SR

Annnyhooo

Before I knew it my SR is moving up fast the crowd getting better and better Im back to SR S

I also think people dont realize being a slow car is dangerous. You brake way before braking points follow improper lines and varying what your doing so much its hard to anticipate you. Track Position Trumps Optimum Line also, its not a TT lots if people on the fast line start cutting down from the outside even tho the inside car has track position going into the inside car, get penalized and start arguing its the optimum line even though they lost track position before the maneuver... Sometimes even though we think its not our fault, it really is.

Then there are aggressive moves while legal are super risky because of varying skill levels on the track sometimes if you see other drivers are driving well enough you can pull them off BUT pick your battles, sometimes that move will be too much for them to handle and start a chain reaction in the corner, talking from experience here.
Great write up mate. Enjoyed reading that, and helpful.

One thing I tend to do is report bad drivers.

Does anyone think this works. Do you think the race gets reviewed. Or would someone have a certain amount of... Let's say lives. And after so many reports then they get looked at?

Would the outcome just be a reset of Dr and Sr?
Not sure what happens from the report process.

Was just a thought.

Im not sure how that works but really good question. I doubt any reviews based on a report hit, maybe get a certain amount of report hits and it triggers a review of activity or possibly it doesn't matter.

It could be each race factors in if you got reported into its stats delivery, possibly not for current race stats but the following. As when you get reported I think stats already locked in.

Dunno I've not reported anybody yet. Let the DR/SR sort them out, I probably have been reported a few times tho, spite is an interesting thing lol

@Ancullen

I respectfully disagree with @Mr616 on this point only because it's relative. If you are DR B or better and SR S, then qualifying is an important part of increasing rank.

However, looking at your ranking, I would avoid qualifying and try to start as far down the grid as possible. You can run a cleaner race if you can keep the riff raff ahead of you. Running clean races will boost your SR considerably and then, your matchmaking with put you into rooms with (relatively) cleaner racers. Once SR S is achieved, I would stick to the back of the pack. You can gain position through attrition and careful passes. You'll increase to an DR B fairly rapidly by doing this.

@Sven Jurgens uses this tactic. It seems to work well for him.

It depends on the track and time of day whether starting in the back is safer and more efficient. On the NA server you get matched with players down to D/E in the off hours. It's better to start in front of those unless you simply hang back until they take each other out.

Yet if you find yourself mid pack on one of the red tracks, you would have been better of not qualifying.
EmWc.jpg

Especially Monza and Tokyo are terrible for starting mid field. Interlagos isn't great either mid pack. Suzuka is quite safe and as it's the daily C this week, also worth the most SR points.

SR.S racers aren't all that clean, yet a lot less dive bomby and bumpy than SR.B and below. On daily C races my DR actually performs just as well when qualifying or not. When I qualify I start 5th to 10th, and often get bumped off in lap 1, sometimes finishing worse than if I had started at the back. A daily C is long enough to order the drivers on race pace and consistency during the race. Consistency is king. Daily A and B are too short though to maintain DR without qualifying.

One guy was special lol

Annnyhooo

Imo it's a myth that it matters when you serve any penalties. I haven't noticed any difference taking a penalty over the line, serving it before the line or straight away when it occurs. I rather take it to the finish than to risk getting hit by slowing myself on the track. Maintaining speed is the best way to stay safe.

I hope penalty zones come to daily races so I don't have to worry about all those flickering ghosts anymore, slowing down in front of me to serve penalties a bit at a time then block or go slow on the racing line. People serving penalties right after Dunlop on Sarthe lap 1, irresponsible. On Tokyo with the blind corners, should be reason for DQ. Lap 1 is definitely not the time to serve penalties. Last lap should be excluded as well.

Great write up mate. Enjoyed reading that, and helpful.

One thing I tend to do is report bad drivers.

Does anyone think this works. Do you think the race gets reviewed. Or would someone have a certain amount of... Let's say lives. And after so many reports then they get looked at?

Would the outcome just be a reset of Dr and Sr?
Not sure what happens from the report process.

Was just a thought.

I don't think anyone ever looks at the reports. It's merely a statistic and at most puts a mark on the reported person's account. My theory is that if you get enough marks against you, you get treated with the 1 more hit and DQ warning.

So yes, report bad drivers, give PD the data to see that the penalty and SR system still need improving. I guess it works something like, PD makes a change, number of reports go down -> keep changes.

I was confused at first seeing them flikering or straight ghost long before braking point . Like what is going on. I honestly thought it was a pause to brake technique. At least I can tell when they are doing it.

For penalties I literally pull all the way to the inside. Serve my penalty and get back into the race.. My road back to S involved some penalties but I wasn't murdered on the hit. I would get much better finish position if I did nothing and serve whatevers left added to my race time. Maybe we shouldn't get any penalty served until then. People letting off at improper times to nudge down penalties cause havok

Worth remembering that ultimately not all drivers you come up against online might take the game as seriously.
Some people put time and effort into trying to be the best driver whilst others are simply gaming. Both are valid.

Also whilst the penalty system can be frustrating when you’re penalised for someone else’s mistake. Well, that’s just simulating real life.
Real drivers get penalised all the time for someone else’s failings,except in the real world it can mean damaged car, race ruined or over etc.

Sometimes you just gotta shrug your shoulders and try not to let it bother you.

Yeah man that's soooo true, real life Politricks can be a huge Factor.

Senna vs Prost with FiA Pres Balestre stealing the Championship from Senna and handing it to Prost like a gift to his buddy.

This video is one of the best quality coming out of that era. Senna and Prost both incredible drivers. Can really appreciate the raw talent, developed skill and Bravado these men had. Great commentary, listening to them talk lol everybody kinda knew something was gonna happen right before history gets etched in stone.

I believe Senna got the better of Prost the pressure too high for Prost with Senna on him so close he made a mistake. However Politricks of the time from one of FiA most pathetic Presidents Balestre were not having it.

Senna got Crucified. Lol for using the escape route of all things lol

I guess we play as if Balestre is handing out penalties lmfao

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I took a lot of it in.

Managed to go from d d into a c c. And I reckon 1 good race I'll be at Dr b and 1-2 good races for Sr b. Clean racing permitted.

Been bashing gr4 daily race A today. Set a lap time in qualifying of 1.43.438 using the megane gr4.

But I did hit a 1.42.546 in race. Shame that doesn't count to your best lap.

But was very happy with that, not sure how the aliens do it 2 seconds faster but hats off to them.

Maybe it's the pressure of the race that makes me output a better lap.

Still had some absolute idiots dive bombing the first corner. And the 3rd corner the long sweeping one is one where I seem to make the most time up if I hit that apex sweet.

Cheers for the posts on the thread guys.

PS. Just wanted to add that on the rolling start I havnt met anything that can out do that megane on pure acceleration. It's like it eats up the track. Wouldn't think it. But it does on that starting grid.

]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back