Where is the data logger? No, seriously - where is it?

South Africa
South Africa
atom_bomb1953
It is Two Thousand and Twenty-Four and GT7 still doesn't have a built-in telemetry feature that was present in the series as early as the PS2. I know I'm not the only one who noticed this curious absence, and there is literally no excuse to not bring the data logger back. It's a serious boon for tuning, learning how to drive faster, and (in a game where it's more important than ever to compare yourself to the top drivers) possibly netting you a spot in the Netherlands.

But the Data Logger will just introduce a skill gap in dailies!
It's true. I firmly believe that people who use the data logger will improve their DR faster than people who don't. It won't make non-users outright slower, though. If you do daily races/time trials and you want to improve your DR/get silver or gold times, a faster qualifying time helps, even if it is just one part of racing. Just like downloadable ghosts, the logger can only aid you in gitting güder.

But I don't know how to read it!
Neither did I at one point. But even reading throttle/brake/steering inputs and driving line is intuitive, and having those in a detailed, easily-readable format that can be viewed at your own pace is paramount. You will find literal seconds using a data logger. (sauce)

But what about tuning?
Don't think PD would not add a guide on how to interpret data on the data logger. Bad tunes can be fixed, and good tunes can be made even better. Tyres rubbing the fenders? Look at the front ride heights on the logger and you will know how much the front needs to be raised. Understeer on entry? Friction circles will reveal how much you need to unload the front tyres. Telemetry is like crack for tuners. If GT7 had a data logger, then @praiano63 will never sleep again.

But it's too resource-intensive! The PS4 can't handle generating data for the logger!
But it can handle 20 cars racing on the Nurburgring at night in torrential rain.

But what about compatibility issues with replays saved under older physics models?
...okay, you may have a point there. But since the game can load older replays just fine, and the data logger historically uses replay data, there shouldn't be an issue. If there is, leave it for PD to figure it out. Replays in GT6 could be exported to MoTec, after all.

Okay, I want a data logger. Do I have options?
You can always check out the telemetry software thread, which has a list of options you can use on your desktop. Have fun.

Back