Which PC fan is acting up?

• Thread starter Tyger
  • 1 comments
United Kingdom
UK
ReTyger
Hi guys, hope you can help here. In some situations lately I've found one of the fans in my PC is speeding up a lot and making a lot of noise in certain situations. I am assuming it is the PSU fan, but want to make sure before I replace it. Some facts:

1. My PC is only about 20 months old, but I guess gets a lot of use. I don't do a huge amount of gaming on it but do use it for Second Life, which seems to make the fan work hardest. However other games such as Minecraft (which I play on fairly high settings) seem to be fine. Second Life streams a lot of its content so when things get busy the fan goes into overdrive. I can still run quite high settings though and get very high FPS in most "locations"

2. My graphics card is a GeForce 560Ti (or something like that, am at work now)

3. A while back, my PC started freezing intermittently, then frequently, sometimes resulting in BSOD. I opened it up, it was pretty dusty so gave it a thorough clean with an air duster, no freezes since but just the overworked fan issue...I think this is symptomatic of general overheating and a dying PSU rather than graphics card?

The fan I am hearing is the one that spools up briefly when I power the PC on, so again, assuming that is the "main" PSU fan?

I just want to make sure I am on the right track and it's not the graphics card frying. Any way of diagnosing where the issue lies?

Check the bios as it lists them as CPU FAN, CHA FAN1, CHA FAN 2, ect

Most fans will go to near 100% when you power on the PC as a means of testing and because PWM control is not fully active.

Back