Why does my PC rated at 12GB RAM seem to have 14GB?

• Thread starter Tyger
  • 8 comments
United Kingdom
UK
ReTyger
So I recently opened up my Dell XPS 8300 as was having some issues with the power cutting out. I thought I would re-seat the RAM while I was at it just in case that was the cause (though unlikely) and although when I bought my PC it supposedly had 12GB and shows this under My Computer, there are 4 modules rated at 3x4GB and 1x2GB, totalling 14GB. Also two of the 4GB modules and the 2GB module have Dell on the sticker, but the other 4GB has Samsung.

The PC was supposedly new when I got it, so any ideas?

So you have 3x4GB sticks and 1x2GB stick which would give a total of 14GB.
Either the motherboard is ignoring the other stick due to it not being compatible or the system is reserving some

So I recently opened up my Dell XPS 8300 as was having some issues with the power cutting out. I thought I would re-seat the RAM while I was at it just in case that was the cause (though unlikely) and although when I bought my PC it supposedly had 12GB and shows this under My Computer, there are 4 modules rated at 3x4GB and 1x2GB, totalling 14GB. Also two of the 4GB modules and the 2GB module have Dell on the sticker, but the other 4GB has Samsung.

The PC was supposedly new when I got it, so any ideas?

Since you visually verified your memory it sounds like the person who assembled your computer was just careless.

Since you visually verified your memory it sounds like the person who assembled your computer was just careless.

I guess, though I would expect the system to recognise the full 14MB, and it doesn't. I guess I will try removing a stick or two, then putting them back and see how that affects things.

I guess, though I would expect the system to recognise the full 14MB, and it doesn't. I guess I will try removing a stick or two, then putting them back and see how that affects things.

Oh, I thought the 12 gigs were what the machine was advertised as having and not what the machine itself was reporting. I missed that in the OP, try running a 3rd party system info program like CPUID and see if it shows anything different, Maybe contact Dell themselves.

Thanks guys, that makes more sense now, it's a shame I can't take advantage of it but I don't think I can, I would need to swap the 2GB out for a 4GB to boost it up to 16GB, else it will remain at 12GB. Guess I could put the 2GB on eBay :)

Latest Posts

Back