Wifi Problems

• Thread starter gtuned
  • 8 comments
United States
New York
GO6DoRiFUt0
gtun3d
okay, so my wifi has been acting horribly for a while, and i've recently decided to try to fix it, which has only aggravated me further. I used to get 10Mbps consistently, now it seems i struggle to get 1Mbps, most of the time speedtests read .60 or .50. I've switched to a channel with no overlap thanks to inssider, but it's still being horrible.

I noticed this today with Inssider
eb575143f019ef5453b8b2f9ee214e62.png

the signal will drop or dip for no reason. The router is only 20/25 feet away on the other side of a wall. The upload still seems fine most of the time at around 1.5/2Mbps.

The router has a 5ghz signal, which I have on the ipad, and I'm consistently getting fast speeds of 11/12, even 14/15Mbps.

So what could it be? Router? The computer's Wireless adapter? Or some sort of interference?

I would appreciate some help as this aggravates me to a new level of hate.

Several points of contention:

- Do you know what the building materials that the builders of the home used? WiFi signals interfere when there is a distance of at least 10 feet through a wall. A home with metal framing is even worse because the metal can interfere with the signal (I don't know the science behind the how though)

- Do you know how old the wireless adapter/router is?

- Have you called the cable company and ask them to do a check of the equipment, including the cable that carries your service?

I'll think of more depending on the response.

Several points of contention:

- Do you know what the building materials that the builders of the home used? WiFi signals interfere when there is a distance of at least 10 feet through a wall. A home with metal framing is even worse because the metal can interfere with the signal (I don't know the science behind the how though)

- Do you know how old the wireless adapter/router is?

- Have you called the cable company and ask them to do a check of the equipment, including the cable that carries your service?

I'll think of more depending on the response.

- I believe it's just wood, typical house structure. The wall it's passing through is maybe 3/4 feet thick? I never have had a problem with it until lately.

- The adapter and router are around a year or 2 old I believe. Maybe 2.

- I called the provider and they basically told me it's something to do with me.

I had an issue where my desktop - only - would randomly disconnect from my router when downloading. Somehow changing the channel width from 20 MHz to 40 MHz on the router page solved my issue. I can't promise it'll work here for your issue, but I'd say it's worth a shot if possible. 👍

I would also suggest you try out a few different locations for your router. Sometimes even placing it a few inches higher or in either direction will help. Also if you have cordless phones etc make sure the base stations are nowhere near the router.

The router will only go from auto 20 or 40 to just 20, there's no option for 40.

I tried repositioning it, may have to resort to cleaning out the closet it's near, my dad through a ton of stuff in there so who knows if something in there is blocking it.

There is a cordless phone near it, but that's always been there and never caused problems.

My router drops connections all the time and constantly needs to be reset. It's annoying as hell.

I would also suggest you try out a few different locations for your router. Sometimes even placing it a few inches higher or in either direction will help. Also if you have cordless phones etc make sure the base stations are nowhere near the router.

The station can really effect the router's performance? I guess it makes some sense. The phone station is within 3-4 feet of the router, too close?

The station can really effect the router's performance? I guess it makes some sense. The phone station is within 3-4 feet of the router, too close?

Absolutely, most cordless devices use the 2.5ghz channel especially phones. Even if you are using 5Ghz some of your devices will be using the 2.5ghz and they will be affected by the phone base station. Ideally you would want it on the opposite side of the room at least.

It's worth just turning off you phone base station temporarly and go back to Inssider to see if your dBm rate has dropped (improved).

Back