Will our saved content carry over?

• Thread starter shenfrey
  • 21 comments
I really don't want to lose all my scape and race photos and would love for them to carry it over. Plus carry all the existing scape locations and merge them with the new ones would be pretty amazing too : )

bonus question: will the above answer apply to vinyl and decals also?

You're going to think I'm Ludacris, but my favourite thing to do in GT Sport is use the photo mode.

I highly doubt anything will carry over, which is extremely annoying in my opinion.

I can understand replays and photos not carrying over, but it’s going to be super annoying to grind credits to purchase the race cars I want in order to race online. Like, we won’t be able to have full grids of Gr1 or Gr2 cars online for probably the first month the game is out, because we have to wait for everyone to grind credits.

Some of us just want to jump straight into online racing.

The worst part is going to be losing all our liveries. Some of my liveries have I dunno, 20+ hours sunk into them. It’s going to be a MASSIVE pain in the ass to remake all my liveries. It’s going to be even worse trying to re-find all the decals and vinyls that I’ve acquired over the years.

This is the one aspect of GT7 that I’m not looking forward to. I get that it’s a new game, but I have no desire to “start over”. We’re going to be doing the EXACT same thing we’ve been doing since GT5 online…grinding credits for the exact same cars, to race on the exact same circuits, many of us against the exact same opponents.

Having played every GT game since the original, I’m am 1000% over having to start from scratch every time they update the physics and graphics engine.

To me, the transition from GTS to GT7 just feels like a massive content patch. It’s not a “brand new game”, and I don’t want to start my account over again.

I plan on playing GT for as long as they make GT games…I could be at it for another 20 years. I want my account to be continuous from one iteration to the next. I would love my online stats from GT5 and GT6 to be accessible alongside my GTS stats, and I would like to keep them going into GT7 and beyond.

I guess I’ve become used to the “game as a service” model, and despite the many drawbacks of the model, I love that in a game like World of Warcraft, you can still be playing on the same account you created 15 years ago. I wish GT was the same way.

I would expect liveries will be carried over, since most of the car models in GT7 will be reused from Gt Sport and remapping of the cars less likely to occur for GT7, but at this time we don't know (though it would be a first in the series to carry over content).

I highly doubt anything will carry over to the new game but I could be wrong. Don't hold your breath though.

Last edited:
Going by previous games - probably only licenses
Probably... not licenses, I reckon. Has any GT had license transfer, besides GTC2002T-G -> GT3? Maybe GT4 Prologue? I don't recall.
Keep in mind that GT Sport doesn't have actual licenses in its Driving School section, while GT7 may well be going back to the B-A-(IC)-IB-IA-S (and R) system.

I have no doubt there'll be some sort of bonus for being a returning GTS player, but it may be just some tiny trinket irrespective of your GTS progress, like a race suit or a specially liveried hatchback.

Edit: On topic, liveries coming over would be great, but there's no guarantees. Forza's online livery system has handled that pretty well (I think, I can't find any of my FH3 or FH4 liveries in FH5 yet). Given that GTS user content is 100% online, and GT7 will be too, I'd say there's a decent chance of liveries coming back, even if the editor has been changed a bit.

Last edited:
Nobody knows, but Kaz wanting past players starting from scratch as well. Or more like past players have to endure the beginner tutorials. Doesnt look good for having content transfer.

Didn't Kaz answer, in the gtp interview, transferring is something he hadn't ooked at?

No reason why our content can't be carried over if the Community features are exactly the same.

Last edited:
I would expect liveries will be carried over, since most of the car models in GT7 will be reused from Gt Sport and remapping of the cars less likely to occur for GT7, but at this time we don't know (though it would be a first in the series to carry over content).
I could maybe see completed liveries transferring, but I can’t see how you could continue to edit a GTS livery in GT7.

I think there’s basically 0 chance that our decal collection will transfer over, which for me is perhaps the biggest sad of the entire transfer process.

Damn, so those people with over 10,000 followers are about to start from scratch again 😬
Based on the experience of going from 5 to 6, and 6 to Sport, I can totally see that being something PD completely overlooks because they’re just simply not in touch with how people use the game.

I can’t imagine being a livery artist who has thousands of liveries, thousands of followers, and they have to start from scratch with GT7 for no logical reason.

Can’t you see the joy those livery creators had when making that initial livery in Gran Turismo Sport and their build up of followers? Wouldn’t that be a grand experience to relive in GT7?(speaking as translator-san)

Can’t you see the joy those livery creators had when making that initial livery in Gran Turismo Sport and their build up of followers? Wouldn’t that be a grand experience to relive in GT7?(speaking as translator-san)
Isn’t it going to be grand for livery artists to have to re-upload thousands of decals?

Isn't it going to be grand to spend…checks notes…FIVE YEARS!!…for the community to rebuild the decal database to its current level?

So nostalgia, much feels.

I mean, imagine being an artist who works in a certain studio. Then the building manager comes along and says “we’re moving you to a new studio.”

“What about all my art that is stored in this studio? That I’ve spent years creating?”

“Meh, you can recreated it all. Spread sheet says you’ll have fun.”

Isn’t it going to be grand for livery artists to have to re-upload thousands of decals?

Isn't it going to be grand to spend…checks notes…FIVE YEARS!!…for the community to rebuild the decal database to its current level?

So nostalgia, much feels.

I mean, imagine being an artist who works in a certain studio. Then the building manager comes along and says “we’re moving you to a new studio.”

“What about all my art that is stored in this studio? That I’ve spent years creating?”

“Meh, you can recreated it all. Spread sheet says you’ll have fun.”
524CFAAB-40A7-4B20-9DB3-5B4272098B39.jpeg

Out of EVERYTHING, our decals should definitely carry over they are a pain in the ass to make anyways.

Last edited:
It's a real bummer that race replay data is not being transferred. I have some fantastic races saved, but not really wanting to keep GT Sport taking up space on my drive for that. Understandable to some degree, though I have to imagine many of the tracks have not appreciably changed since Sport.

It's a real bummer that race replay data is not being transferred. I have some fantastic races saved, but not really wanting to keep GT Sport taking up space on my drive for that. Understandable to some degree, though I have to imagine many of the tracks have not appreciably changed since Sport.
'Tis a shame, yes, but I imagine differences in car physics would be making it impossible, once you change what the inputs do, you can't have the replay output be the same, it's why Tekken fight replays are obsolete every time the game is updated, or more relevantly, why a GT5 replay wouldn't work in GT6, every car would end up in a wall from even a tiny difference in acceleration or steering exacerbated by the butterfly effect.
That is, if GT Sport replays work like other games' old-fashioned replays, demos and Tool-Assisted Speedruns, I'm not an expert.

It's a real bummer that race replay data is not being transferred. I have some fantastic races saved, but not really wanting to keep GT Sport taking up space on my drive for that.
Record them and share them to YouTube :D

I'm really happy about being able to transfer all my stuff to GT7, so much pain is saved considering how much time I spent on some liveries :)

Back