Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

• Thread starter Vonie
  • 22 comments
thevonsteinery
I just got a new computer, an HP Pavillion a1450n. AMD Athlon X2 4200+, 2gb, crappy video card, blah, blah, blah.

It came with a standard "Multimedia" keyboard and mouse that goes nicely with it, but, the way my desk is set up, the keyboard and mouse sit on a swing-out shelf a few inches below the main desk where the moitor and what-not sit. Also the computer itself is to the right of and below this shelf. This can be annoying because of the numerous wires running to and fro beneath my desk making it tough to move the mouse sometimes beacuse the wire gets snagged on something under there. So, I've been wanting to upgrade to a wireless set for a little while, now. I have about US$70 to spend, but I'd be willing to spend less. I don't need any super-crazy gaming mouse/keyboard, just something that works.

So, do any of you have wirelessness going on? If so, what do you have and are you satisfied? I looked at the Logitech MX3000 set, any one have it?

I'm using a Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop, and it's fine. It doesn't require line of sight, and if the batteries are good, the range is a good 5m or so. It's annoying with its "custom" Fn keys, but it's a fairly decent board.

Yeah. I've got a Wireless Optical Desktop Elite, and I'd hate anything else now. It's got loads of buttons, a scroll wheel on the keyboard which I actually use a lot, and recently I found that if you assign one of the favorites keys to a webpage, it opens it in a new tab in your Firefox window.

The mouse batteries last about 5-6 months if you put quality gear in. The keyboard slightly longer.

I've just bought a notebook and I'm looking for a wireless notebook mouse, can someone recommend something? I've been looking at the MS 4000 and 6000.

I could've done that.
I'm using a Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop, and it's fine. It doesn't require line of sight, and if the batteries are good, the range is a good 5m or so. It's annoying with its "custom" Fn keys, but it's a fairly decent board.

That looks alright, the reviews on Newegg aren't so hot, though.
Newegg
If you value you money don't get this. Maby as a joke to a co-worker, even then it's a pretty cruel joke.
:lol: Eek.

Yeah. I've got a Wireless Optical Desktop Elite, and I'd hate anything else now. It's got loads of buttons, a scroll wheel on the keyboard which I actually use a lot, and recently I found that if you assign one of the favorites keys to a webpage, it opens it in a new tab in your Firefox window.

The mouse batteries last about 5-6 months if you put quality gear in. The keyboard slightly longer.

Is that the Bluetooth one? Cause that one's $110, a little too much for me.

Thanks for the help, guys.

When I feel like shelling out the cash (and I mean cash), I'll probably get a wireless 'Mighty Mouse' for the Macbook. The scroll ball in the middle of it rotates 360 degrees, and I believe the buttons are touch sensitive. For now though I'm getting pretty used to the trackpad for now.

Wireless keyboards and mice are great for desktop systems, though; I can't count how many times I've accidently ripped the keyboard off of the desk.

I'm using a Logitech Cordless Comfort Duo. It works well and all, but one problem...you can't turn the mouse off. So, it kinda sucks down the batteries pretty quickly. But, it was about the only wireless ergonomic keyboard that I could find, and I'm plenty happy with how it works. Just try to get a set that has an off switch for the mouse.

I'm using the Logitech S510 desktop set. It's pretty good - the keyboard feels really slick and the mouse feels good and is pretty good on batteries.

My old Microsoft set chewed through batteries and the mouse weighed a tonne after the batteries were in.

When I feel like shelling out the cash (and I mean cash), I'll probably get a wireless 'Mighty Mouse' for the Macbook.
Wait, let me get this straight. You are WILLINGLY going to purchase one of the worst, if not the worst, mice of all time??? Are you serious??? Look, I'm a Mac user, and I like their stuff. But whatever you do, DO NOT GET A MIGHTY MOUSE!!

Yea, it looks nice, and Mac-y and what not. But, its terrible. The touch sensitivity sucks, the feedback you get is horrible and the scroll ball is just not comfortable to use. You do what you want, but don't say I didn't warn you before. I suggest you try it before ordering. You'll be happy when you see how horrible it is.

Hilg

Wait, let me get this straight. You are WILLINGLY going to purchase one of the worst, if not the worst, mice of all time??? Are you serious??? Look, I'm a Mac user, and I like their stuff. But whatever you do, DO NOT GET A MIGHTY MOUSE!!

Yea, it looks nice, and Mac-y and what not. But, its terrible. The touch sensitivity sucks, the feedback you get is horrible and the scroll ball is just not comfortable to use. You do what you want, but don't say I didn't warn you before. I suggest you try it before ordering. You'll be happy when you see how horrible it is.

Hilg

It's not that bad. Certainly not the worst mouse of all time. The scroll is useful and the mouse is comfortable for me. I've tried others on my iMac and I ended up going back to the Mighty Mouse.

However, you forgot to mention the worst part (IMO anyway) about the Mighty Mouse: the ball gets dirty. I don't know how many times I haven't been able to scroll because of dirt or lint.

I wouldn't recommend buying the wireless Mighty Mouse at the price Apple is asking for, but at the same time, I'm not looking to replace mine (wired) anytime soon.

It's not that bad. Certainly not the worst mouse of all time. The scroll is useful and the mouse is comfortable for me. I've tried others on my iMac and I ended up going back to the Mighty Mouse.

However, you forgot to mention the worst part (IMO anyway) about the Mighty Mouse: the ball gets dirty. I don't know how many times I haven't been able to scroll because of dirt or lint.

I wouldn't recommend buying the wireless Mighty Mouse at the price Apple is asking for, but at the same time, I'm not looking to replace mine (wired) anytime soon.
Well, my wired Mighty Mouse always got the scrollwheel stuck, but I got the wireless one the week after it came out, and it doesn't get stuck nearly as much. And when it does get stuck, it's easy to get it unstuck.

*phew*

Mine have never gotten dirty enough for that to happen, because I never used them long enough. I tried the first one when I got my 20" iMac a while back. It sucked, big time, so I put it back in the box to never see the light of day. Then, with my new Pro, I never even got it out. I'm sure I probably did overexaggerate a bit calling it the worst of all time. But, its not far off in my book. I have a Logitech MX400 that I use with the Mac keyboard. Perfect duo in my book.

Hilg

For a while, I was using a cordless keyboard and mouse combo that I picked up for AU$25 on sale at Woolworths, I stopped using it when the batteries went flat, and I was too cheap to buy new ones :lol:

Worked verey well actually, i now use the keyboard when I am watching movies via the PC, so I don't need to get up and press pause, I can just use the PowerDVD hotkeys.

Sorry for the old thread bump but I just recently got back into pc gaming. I have both my computers hooked to my 40" tv and now I need wireless keyboard and mouse. I was wondering what some of you would suggest for a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. The keyboard must have a volume button and the mouse must have at least 4-6 buttons that can be custom programmed for gaming. I don't need anything crazy, just something better than the 7 year old stuff I currently have. Probably stop by Best Buy and see what they have available tonight.

Sorry for the old thread bump but I just recently got back into pc gaming. I have both my computers hooked to my 40" tv and now I need wireless keyboard and mouse. I was wondering what some of you would suggest for a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. The keyboard must have a volume button and the mouse must have at least 4-6 buttons that can be custom programmed for gaming. I don't need anything crazy, just something better than the 7 year old stuff I currently have. Probably stop by Best Buy and see what they have available tonight.

I know of a wireless mouse within your requirements: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003YLZ8J0/?tag=gtplanetuk-20

Thanks for the suggestion. I picked up a wireless keyboard and mouse last night. Love them!

This is what I went with. Both Logitech.

g602-gaming-mouse.png

View attachment 126420

@CAMAROBOY69 , So how would you rate your purchase after a bit of use? Are you still "loving it"?

Oh and do the mouse and keyboard share a dongle or do you need to use 2?

@CAMAROBOY69 , So how would you rate your purchase after a bit of use? Are you still "loving it"?

Oh and do the mouse and keyboard share a dongle or do you need to use 2?
The mouse I would rate a 10/10. Absolutely LOVE it!!!! The keyboard I would give a 9.5/10. I gave it a 9.5 because some of the buttons are in very strange places and require the use of the function key to use. But that's not really the products fault at all and I hardly ever use the keyboard. Both excellent products especially for the price. I highly recommend both especially if you don't use the keyboard much at all.

They both come with 2 dongles. I have not had a single issue with either of the products. Perfect for my application. 👍

Back