World Classic Car Challenge - Results Posted

• Thread starter HaylRayzor
  • 422 comments
...Anyways thanks for the test and remember that for most if not all these cars being smooth on throttle and brakes and running a clean line will give you much faster lap times than trying to throw them at the corners with late hard braking and hammering the throttle on exit. The skinny comfort soft tires on these old cars can't handle the stresses of super aggressive driving that better quality newer tires can.:crazy:

No insult intended. Just my honest feedback. I did say it was quick. :)

And I can't drive automatic. It just destroys my rhythm. :crazy:

HaylRayzor
Forget something? :sly:

Kind of... :embarrassed: Been working on something else today and haven't gotten over to the computer for long. Made myself a quick banner and slapped together a picture and will update that post within the hour. You can link it if you haven't yet. :)

Very anxious to see how my wild little machine stacks up, though I am fairly certain I will land firmly last. :D Too many better tuners here. :bowdown:

Very anxious to see how my wild little machine stacks up, though I am fairly certain I will land firmly last. :D Too many better tuners here. :bowdown:

Oh c'mon, you don't think you beat the bus? :lol: :lol:

On an unrelated note... I tried the G4 at full PP (450ish) and it was 4.5 seconds slower than the fastest car in this competition. Talk about a broken PP system...

Oh c'mon, you don't think you beat the bus? :lol: :lol:

On an unrelated note... I tried the G4 at full PP (450ish) and it was 4.5 seconds slower than the fastest car in this competition. Talk about a broken PP system...

It'd be too lightweight. Every input affects the car 2x as much, when the car weighs half as much...

This is my tests post. I've had a couple of runs (pretest) in the Samba and 240ZG...loved both, especially the underrated pace of the bus.

As a plus, my times have been compatible with other testers so that wiill aid consistency of results. I don't know that I'm looking forward the the 2002, but will have a shot at it Tell my wife I love her :lol:

I'll start posting times tomorrow evening, but some quick notes:

The Mazda Cosmos - up till now showing the slowest times of the quartet in pretesting which was unusual as it felt as though it was the quickest. A fun car to drive as the feel of the car was veru direct for me

BMW 2002 - Had a lot of fun with this one, not as scary a ride as anticipated with the DS3 and a time compatible with the others which have been run.

I do want to spend a good amount of time on each car as I want to give all the best chance possible given the closeness of the times and working out how to gain time at differing points on the course.

OFFICIAL TESTING: I use a DS3, manual, with all parameters as in the Challenge guidelines. My driving skills are fairly reasonable and am capable of pulling out some good laps fairly consistently, but maybe not so much the ability to replicate exact driving lines/braking points lap after lap. I am doing a minimum of 20 - 25 minutes per car to give each entrant every possible chance.

1. XDesperado67 - Mazda Cosmo....1:22.673

I loved being able to throw this car around, and yet was still frustrated by my inability to match points during the run when I was at times able to see the ghost falling behind, then being unable to stop it overtaking me with little seeming difference to how I approached the same point of the course. I loved the direct 'feel' of the car with the responsiveness of the power and the sound of the exhaust completing the experience. 2/5

2. Krenkme - Samba Bus....1:22.466

Again, and it will be a constant for me, is driving long enough to get that lap where I am able to keep the ghost behind me consistently to do justice to the vehicles.

Deceptive little beastie that she was, my primary difficulty was the short gearing. Caused me particular problems with smoothness through and out of the two sets of doubles. Aside from that, a fun and deceptively quick ride given that I was able to go a tad quicker than the Cosmo. Enjoyment/driveability factor was purely centred around the fact that it was the Samba. 2.5/5

3. Theo777 - Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale '63...1:23.331

Hardest part of the drive was keeping it in a semblance of balance through both sweepers. When I was able to do so, I found much time was gained with good speed coming out of both turns. This was crucial to banking good times. I was able to hold good lines through and out of both sets of doubles and bring better speed without having the arse flick out and waste time spinning the wheels with little forward motion. Enjoyment factor for me was quite good, but not up there with the Cosmo primarily due to having to work much harder keeping it balanced through the sweepers. 3/5

4. DigitalBaka - 2002 Turbo....1:22.897

Love driving this car. The more I drove it the more I loved it. I normally drive hard and aggressively (not to be confused with alien-like speed/ability) and being forced to rein in these tendencies I found brought out the best this little box had to offer. Easy to flick around hitting the two doubles, and quite easy to control the squirrelling coming through both sets if you stayed aware of the teeth waiting for you. I had no problems maintaining top speed through the 'S's coming up the hill. My natural inclination to hold back through the sweepers for fear of hanging sideways was well founded, but I found that I could still maintain a good straight line speed through both turns without feeling like I was going on a Sunday drive.

Not my quickest ride so far, but the most enjoyable. 1.8/5

5. Newdriver2 - Skyline 2000GT-R....1:21.642

Point & shoot and it goes there. The most stable of the rides so far and the time clocked tells the story. Not quite the direct feel of the Cosmo, and a degree of understeer held it back significantly through the 'S' bend up the hill. It didn't feel like it was putting power to the bitumen coming out of the turns but I found that I could put the pedal down with a greater degree of certainty.

I do prefer driving cars where you do feel the 'grunt' and this didn't match that, but ease of driving compensated for this. 2/5

6. MrMelancholy - Skyline 2000GT-R....1:22.111

The significant difference in the times between the two 2000GT-R's was not an accident. I simply wasn't able to drive this one with as much certainty as that of Newdriver2. It always felt as if it was going to get away from me, particularly through the two sweepers and the S's going up the hill. Any time I tried to get that little extra out of it, she started throwing the arse around like Stephanie around an American basketballer. Did lack the stability of the other 2000GT-R.

More suited to a leisurely stroll in the bracing breezes of the northern alps, rather than a testy zip through the swailes of Wales. 3.5/5

7. acsr421 - 240ZG '71....1:21.633

This car had everything. Stability through the sweepers, significantly more than any other car tested - to this point. Good holding speed through the S's, and excellent control through the doubles. I was thoroughly enjoying the car anyway, but once I twigged to changing gears well before the redline, I saw a dramatic (0.8 sec) drop in lap times.

Easy to drive, good feel of power to the road, handles well, stable under pressure, ....this car thoroughly deserves it's rating. 1/5

8. Trackripper123 - Isuzu 117....1:22.313

Another thoroughly enjoyable drive. Held the tail in place well with careful throttle control out of the tighter turns, but not overly so as to negate the driving experience. Didn't really like bringing the nose to where it should be under hard braking into the two tight doubles (yes, it's called understeer), but I did find that it came around to the driving line through the two sweepers. Held the line well up through the S's, it was just a matter of getting it spot on to keep optimum speed up the hill.

I'm not sure why the times for this didn't come down any further, this was the best I could get out of it. 1.5/5

9. MrGrado - VW Kharmann Ghia....1:22.711

A little slippery yet reasonably easily to hang onto the tail when she fanned out. This was a car that was fun to drive, yet (for me anyways) din't back it up with race speed. Not really a car that I would enjoy racing with, particularly over longer runs. This is suited to it's own class alone, and not a series where you have to push hard to move up the leaderboard.

This was a funny one to grade, in the end I went a little better than average. 2.5/5

Thanks for the opportunity to try some setups and cars I normally wouldn't.

:cheers:

Last edited:
It'd be too lightweight. Every input affects the car 2x as much, when the car weighs half as much...

The PP system is totally broken for ultralight cars. The G4 and Fireblade will never keep up with a heavier car of the same PP on any track. They should at least be able to keep up on tight tracks like Eiger. But then there is the GSX-R/4 which dominates heavier cars...

The PP system is totally broken for ultralight cars. The G4 and Fireblade will never keep up with a heavier car of the same PP on any track. They should at least be able to keep up on tight tracks like Eiger. But then there is the GSX-R/4 which dominates heavier cars...

No, my point wasn't even from a PP stand point. I meant, in a legitimate sense of weight balance, etc. unless you have millimeter perfect control over every input you make (especially with DS3s) these cars scrub off their speed. Because they're lightweight, it doesn't take much to turn them, and they don't have much power.

In effect, I'm saying that, so far as I know, the PP system is decent, but no one is capable of driving the <500 kg cars quickly, because they need such precise inputs. Whereas, with heavier cars, there's power to make up for a loss of momentum, light cars function on only momentum, really. It's like go-karting, or Star Mazda; the cars/karts only run on momentum, and if you lose momentum, your lap times will drop 10 seconds. :indiff: Just turning the wheel on a G4 costs WAY too much speed, because the friction is way more powerful than the inertia. :yuck: And, it sucks, but, the game doesn't model in people's driving habits. I'm sure that a robot could drive the Ginetta G4 much faster than Jeremy Clarkson, because the robot will be able to control its steering inputs just that much more accurately. This is a big clue, though, as to which car I'm using, for my entry into this series, which I've begun testing-today.

No, my point wasn't even from a PP stand point. I meant, in a legitimate sense of weight balance, etc. unless you have millimeter perfect control over every input you make (especially with DS3s) these cars scrub off their speed. Because they're lightweight, it doesn't take much to turn them, and they don't have much power.

In effect, I'm saying that, so far as I know, the PP system is decent, but no one is capable of driving the <500 kg cars quickly, because they need such precise inputs. Whereas, with heavier cars, there's power to make up for a loss of momentum, light cars function on only momentum, really. It's like go-karting, or Star Mazda; the cars/karts only run on momentum, and if you lose momentum, your lap times will drop 10 seconds. :indiff: Just turning the wheel on a G4 costs WAY too much speed, because the friction is way more powerful than the inertia. :yuck: And, it sucks, but, the game doesn't model in people's driving habits. I'm sure that a robot could drive the Ginetta G4 much faster than Jeremy Clarkson, because the robot will be able to control its steering inputs just that much more accurately. This is a big clue, though, as to which car I'm using, for my entry into this series, which I've begun testing-today.
haha

I'll add macdog and Frenzal in....probably about 7-8 hours. :embarrassed: If you have a 2002 feel free to build one but you'll be able to grab my shared one soon.

HaylRayzor survived....no need to fear. :D:lol:

re: Desperado's Cosmo...

I just noticed the brake bias on this car, and it explains why I was having problems with the sweeper. I trail brake into this corner and this much rear brake is causing the rear to break loose at the point where I am starting to turn but not quite off the brakes yet. As a test I tried it again with the bias at 5/5 and found it much more suited to my driving. I can't change any settings for the official test but just wanted to add this information to the notes.

HaylRayzor

Can you put me down as tester also . But i can't give good feedback about the cars because my English not good but i will tray because maybe i give wrong feedback thats all . And i will put some video about each car ok .

Can you put me down as tester also . But i can't give good feedback about the cars because my English not good but i will tray because maybe i give wrong feedback thats all . And i will put some video about each car ok .

Added. Just remember, 1 is good, 5 is bad. Most cars will not be 1 or 5.

This it will be my resault for the cars .
ABS 1 / Transmission Automatic / Driving line off / All Aids off / controller steering sensitivity is 0 / .
All the car run 13 laps but the cosmo run 14 laps and MrGrado 21 laps

Ascr421 : ( Nissan 240 ZG (HS30) '71 :

Lap time : 1:21:807
Car drive ( 1.5 / 5 )
I love this car but its sliding drifting in corner med and out but in entry corner very good . Gearing is perfect . i can't say more because of the lap time speek about this car 👍 👍 :

XDesperdo : ( Cosmo Sport (L10A) '67 :

Lap time : 1:21:948
Car drive. ( 1.5 / 5 )
this one have avery good tune on it quick respond gear handel with LiL drifting but i love it and i didnt got fast lap on it because last gear need to be shorter to give more power in strait thats why lost time befor the last corner . This cosmo if its allowe to adjust gear it will be a fastest classic car in her pp and i can do 1:19:xxx very easy . Good job Desperdo keep the good work . :cheers:

DigitalBaka : ( 2002 Turbo '73 ) :

Lap time : 1:22:331
Car drive: ( 3 / 5 )
I didn' enjoy it for car i need to take time lap from it but if i drive it in a race i'm sure i will smack down every classic car in the track with same pp because of the long weight shifting between the front and the rear keeping the car take the corner with perfect drifting still but you can't take agood time lap from it . This my first car i test it to be my entry car but felt down because of the reason .keep the good work Digital 👍

Krenkme : ( Sambabus '62 ) :

Lap time : 1:22.778
Car drive: ( 2 / 5 )
This car is complete difernt than all its a Bus but its acting like a race car on the road if you look for the lap time and becaue of the more sliding and drifting in it i could had agood lap time same the anothers car but i love it more than any car in shootout but its (BUS) not a car and i should give it ( 1/5 ) keep the good work Adam you always come out with Fun car in every shootout keep this smill always in any racer drive your car :cheers: 👍 :dopey:

Theo777 : ( Giulia Sprint Speciale '63 )

Lap time : 1:22:695
Car drive : ( 3 / 5 )
This is car smocking in every corner and i didn't got to do more than one lap same time and the 12 laps over 1:23:xxx so its drifting car more than be hot lap car but good jop theo 👍

TrackRipper : (Isuzu 117 Coupé '68 )

Lap time : 1:22:398
Car drive : ( 3.5 / 5 )
This car didn't like me always mad from me i drove it more than any car to understand it ( 21 laps ) but i didn't i got 1 lap 1:22:785 but red time the break very litte and maybe because i push it much . :dopey:

Edit : i drove this car again around 10 laps more total ( 31 laps ) maybe she will like me but i improve the lap time and trackripper he is right when he said to me give another round to it . finally the lap time now shave almost 00:00:725 so its not bad because she still don't like me . :dopey:

MrMelancholy15 : (Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R)

Lap time : 1:22:512
Car drive : ( 2.5/5)
This car more good than my car in med and exit cornner but for enter the corner its under steer and also even its has more HP 182 and my car has 176 HP only put i fill that my car has more power to push the car faster put i enjoy drive it and its still drivable 👍

MrGrado : (VW Karmann Ghia )

Lap time : 1:20:593
Car drive : ( 1 / 5 )
This car i love it more than XD car and i don't like to stop driving it because for almost 21 lap every lap I less from my lap time and maybe some racer or tuner they will say that i use SRF but i didn't because if i did that i should do it in my car . if i will cheat its means I'm cheating my self that's all . Over all good car i can't say more 👍:cheers:

( 1 / 5 ) Guest car over all very good car better than all last cars its bad that this car not in this shootout because she will take all high rating from the tester
And this the faster lap i did it in this shootout LAP TIME 1:20:032

NEWDRIVER2 : ( Skyline 2000GT-R)

Lap time : 1:21:756
Car drive : ( 2 / 5 )
This car had good HP to push it up to the mountain but it has also bad thing that the rear wheel want to jump to be infront of the front wheel drifting car but i love it and this is my drive still and i can manage it enjoy .
I can't give my car number for car drive or choice of the driver i will wait for the tester to do that . :dopey:

This cars ready and i like all of theme . All of you respective tuner and did a good job ( welldone) :cheers: 👍

Last edited:
HaylRayzor
Added. Just remember, 1 is good, 5 is bad. Most cars will not be 1 or 5.

I understand that sir don't wory i can do it by my poor drive and lettel English write lthanks any way Sir . :dopey:

Wait, there's a BUS in this competition? Doesn't krenkme take anything seriously? :lol:... is it doing well? :odd:

Well it IS a game, so taking it seriously isn't exactly required. ;)

I don't know you'd say it's doing WELL, but it's doing better than it ought... :lol:

Back