◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,805 comments
This weeks Donkey Kong challenge:

Missions - Magic Mountain - Fiat 500F One Make

Finish in 1st with a time under 3:01.301
You will be driving a Fiat 500F '68 around Lago Maggiore - East End.
Don't be fooled by its good looks and small size, as this car will try and kill you!
Open to all SNAIL (past & present) members

Bonus challenges:
Level 2: sub-3:00
Level 3: sub-2:58

What level are you?
Level -3 me. Can't seem to carry any speed on that last turn.

Some shots from D2.

edbbf7a57696387ed1767d0f99c83f7a_thumb_l.jpeg
c3ad56b71fc8ca8f9954630a41b7f167_thumb_l.jpeg
b4730036341a9176abf3c1f478c4ffba_thumb_l.jpeg
88d8f2ba8d9ad5296aa55f5ff8fad8cd_thumb_l.jpeg
5acea865161c1251f3aae7bb9981ddf4_thumb_l-jpeg.1349963

Group shots are hard to come by with a field of 4 at a big, fast, tricky track like Spa.
f0d2abec6ba3f373cb2f5a941c2005e8_thumb_l.jpeg
ac509a5917388784bffc559e38589899_thumb_l.jpeg
b2eb05f2465bf2186abdc02391cc6ed7_thumb_l.jpeg

Attachments

• 5acea865161c1251f3aae7bb9981ddf4_thumb_l.jpeg
    5acea865161c1251f3aae7bb9981ddf4_thumb_l.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 2
You guys are smoking fast! But @Nictune did state there are different AI car placements going on. Need to try again to see if I can get a different AI layout, might help me on the hairpin. What I you doing for the corner of death? Figure there must be a better way through than throwing the car in there and praying you make it... :lol:
That's a blazing fast time. Good job. There is something to be unlocked in getting through the traffic in the first 3 turns, along with a line through the last corner that will lose less speed. No idea what the trick is yet. May have to plug in my rig when the wife is out on the weekend.
@Dragonwhisky
The most simple key for getting a far faster time is as simple and cutting the absolute heck out of the track. At least where it’s viable and necessary. There are no penalties so. You can go straight through the grass and cut the second turn out entirely. Then you want to get a good layout so you can get a nice wide turn to preserve speed through the hairpin and up the hill. After that you want another hard cut following right alongside the inside wall and making sure to not hit the bump to preserve more speed. An early shift to get into 4th going downhill. After that it’s hard to say. That last hairpin is where I’m getting the biggest time loss. As the whole track is about conserving speed so just try to take a wide line would be my guess. Best thing to keep in mind while racing is to try and conserve as much speed as possible

Last edited:
Prize A Chevrolet Corvette Zr1 (C6)’09 SS tires at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca.
Sunrise if available, not at console. @Dragonwhisky
Early Morning is as close as it gets.

Lineup for this Sunday, will post officially once I get laptimes for combos 2 & 3.

1. Alpine A110 '17 on SM Tires @ Autopolis - Shortcut Course - S16 Sunset - (12 Laps)
2. Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) '09 on SS Tires @ WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca - S02 Early Morning - ( Laps)
3. Dodge Challenger SRT Demon '18 on SS Tires @ Autodrome Lago Maggiore - S03 Afternoon - ( Laps)

This weeks Donkey Kong challenge:

Missions - Magic Mountain - Fiat 500F One Make

Finish in 1st with a time under 3:01.301
You will be driving a Fiat 500F '68 around Lago Maggiore - East End.
Don't be fooled by its good looks and small size, as this car will try and kill you!
Open to all SNAIL (past & present) members

Bonus challenges:
Level 2: sub-3:00
Level 3: sub-2:58

What level are you?
ABS off, 4th gear FTW, 2:57 flat with no track cutting. (not to put that down, I get it)

@Dragonwhisky
The most simple key for getting a far faster time is as simple and cutting the absolute heck out of the track. At least where it’s viable and necessary. There are no penalties so. You can go straight through the grass and cut the second turn out entirely. Then you want to get a good layout so you can get a nice wide turn to preserve speed through the hairpin and up the hill. After that you want another hard cut following right alongside the inside wall and making sure to not hit the bump to preserve more speed. An early shift to get into 4th going downhill. After that it’s hard to say. That last hairpin is where I’m getting the biggest time loss. As the whole track is about conserving speed so just try to take a wide line would be my guess. Best thing to keep in mind while racing is to try and conserve as much speed as possible
I was reset on one of the corners trying to get a better line. Don't recall which one, maybe the last big one? It was frustrating enough to not try again. Looks like I need to now.

I was reset on one of the corners trying to get a better line. Don't recall which one, maybe the last big one? It was frustrating enough to not try again. Looks like I need to now.
I’ve only been reset a handful of times. But I do know where it happens most. I should’ve mentioned that if you cut the second corner too much you can be reset. It’s only happened once but it still has. As well if you cut into the grass on the first hairpin you can also be reset. That one happens more consistent and it’s best to just keep a good line than to risk a reset on the second lap. I haven’t noticed a reset on the final hairpin yet. Haven’t tried to cut too far in so I’m not sure where it would. But good luck and I wish you the best

We might be able to race the Chevelle as it has one of the highest top speeds of the classic muscle cars. I didn't hit its top speed even on Trial Mountain's back straight.

By looking at the interior, you notice the ''air plane throttle style shifter'' explaining why the Chevelle only has 3 speeds and a usable top speed. I sure didn't know that the 454 SS trim was available witn an automatic.

That Dodge is aptly named. From spectating a replay, every time the car passes the viewpoint and the go fast pedal is to the mat, it sounds like a demon lord is twisting the nipples of 100 imps. If any of you are clergy types, might wanna' bring some o' that holy water and sprinkle all the cars 'fore that round.

1714087470349.png

Holy Water! Lots Of Holy Water!

Oh yeah, bought 2 Chevelles. One for SNAIL and one for me to trick out / bolt on some parts n' stuff.

Last edited:
Don't you threaten me with a good time. This be some tasty SNAIL foreplay. Yeeeesh.
If that be your idea of a good time, well, you do you man. :mischievous::cheers:

I went and bought 2 more Chevelles, 1 to keep bone stock from the showroom and one to massage for the 600PP Tokyo thing. First effort was less than stellar there. Pretty sure it will out accelerate all those AI but it's 30+MPH down on top speed. Took it back to the shop for a full tranny kit and fat fingered a tune on it. About to see if that helped at all.

Only 4 cars left to check. We won't be using them in Sunday racing so not really all that critical.

Alfa Romeo8C 2900B Touring Berlinetta '38Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B Touring Berlinetta '38193820,000,000-390.641792,888FRSHLegendNo
Mercedes-Benz300 SL (W194) Coupe '52Mercedes-Benz 300 SL (W194) Coupe '52195220,000,000-434.841782,381FRSHLegendNo
Porsche917K '70Porsche 917K '70197018,000,000-755.515981,764MRSSLegendNo
ShelbyCobra Daytona Coupe '64Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe '64196420,000,000-557.273842,299FRSSLegendNo

Thanks to @Akzl298 - 165 @Worst_Driver - 118 @JamCar0ne - 63 @Buffalo_DRD - 53 @TokenTimmy - 45 and @Oshawa-Joe - 4 even though someone had already gotten one of the ones he posted.

A couple of questions for anyone who has used, is using, VR: Any adverse effects, ie. motion sickness? At present I'm doing scoring for D2, will I have to remove the goggles to use my laptop to enter numbers? Or is that 'look around the room' feature good enough? Any suggestions on how to try out a pair before purchase?

A couple of questions for anyone who has used, is using, VR: Any adverse effects, ie. motion sickness? At present I'm doing scoring for D2, will I have to remove the goggles to use my laptop to enter numbers? Or is that 'look around the room' feature good enough? Any suggestions on how to try out a pair before purchase?
I’m sure you’ll get a few replies on this.
From my perspective, I eased myself into it with 15 min sessions regardless of how I felt. I’ve done 60 mins sessions now without any symptoms. If I happen to “spin-out”, I close my eyes. lol.

I would think you’d have to remove the goggles to enter the data on the laptop. You can see your surrounding but it appears in black and white I believe.

I’m going to start using it more and more and hopefully get to a point where I’m faster in VR and would love to use it on Sunday nights. The limited testing I’ve done, I’m about a 0.5 secs slower around a track like the Glen.

That’s my take. I suggest you go get one. Not sure where you can “try before you buy”

I built up a tolerance not long after I started using the headset for GT7 - maybe a week. The only time I will remotely start to get sick in GT7 is if the car is traveling in reverse. Otherwise, I can play GT7 for hours at a time with it and not get sick. Now, I will start to notice motion sickness after an hour or so if I play a VR game that isn't a driving game.

As far as seeing your PC monitor without taking off the headset goes, I can see the screen on my iPhone without taking off the headset. I just have to wait for the IR light on the phone to stop - the light comes on for face ID and blinds the cameras on the headset - then enter in my passcode. The image is in black and white, and it's not the clearest, but I can see clear enough that I can make out the words on the screen. I'll try to post a screenshot of what it looks like after I get home tonight.

Last edited:
I’ve had nerve issues flare up recently, causing massive pains down my right leg. Only logged 25 km or so this week. Hope to be better by Sunday.

Either way, Friday Afternoon = Start of Car Show.
View attachment 1350424
I can sympathize with the nerve pain. I assume yours is sciatica like mine? Hanging from a pull-up bar really helped my back and shoulders. I was going to the chiropractor on a regular basis for the sciatica pain, and my right shoulder bad enough that an orthopedic surgeon recommended surgery. Six months after doing the hanging exercises the pain in both my back and shoulder was gone.

1714152183637.png

Last edited:
Last month when I was scorekeeping in D2, I was racing in VR and simply removed the headset between races. The 'look around the room' feature is good enough for making wheel adjustments or minor interactions with the surrounds. But scorekeeping requires a bit more focus and removing the headset was better for me. Plus, it let me use my reading glasses and enjoy a tasty beverage.

Don't recall what if any issues I encountered adjusting to VR for racing. But having the cockpit there as a solid reference helps quite a bit. Sitting still in a car racing is different than playing a game with full control of direction of movement with camera aim and VR on top of that. Those games are cookie chuckers for me.

Back