2023 Nissan Z - 400hp, 6MT/9AT, $40k USD

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 703 comments
Is this thing even out yet? I legitimately have not seen a single one in the wild, outside the preproduction one they had pacing the Sentra/Micra Cup races last summer, and I don't think that even counts because it's a) a preproduction car and b) a pace car for a race series. Where are they?

I believe someone posted a purple one from a cars and coffee meet or on the road. Either the showroom thread or what they saw on the day.

Is this thing even out yet? I legitimately have not seen a single one in the wild, outside the preproduction one they had pacing the Sentra/Micra Cup races last summer, and I don't think that even counts because it's a) a preproduction car and b) a pace car for a race series. Where are they?
They've been "selling" since July of last year. Selling is a very aspirational word here, as they've only touched triple digits in the USA (notably a wealthy country, that the car was designed explicitly for, of some 320 million people) in 3 out of those 10 months. The sales are trending upward...but it's hard to say the Z has a bright future right now. The GR86, alone, is outselling the Z on average 5:1. So the GR86 is probably sniping all the value oriented shoppers, and the spendy types are buying Supras or Caymans. The GR86 is a better old school sports car for a lot less money, and the Supra is a better and more refined high tech sports car for only a little bit more. The Z is in no-man's land, with one foot in the past and one in the present and kind of an ambiguous character. The 370z suffered from this too in it's later years and I'm not sure why Nissan decided to continue the same formula that hadn't been selling very well for a decade. It's a different look, but its largely the same thing. Both the GR86 and the Supra are reportedly sharper and more fun sports cars, yet the Z isn't really a good GT car either. I think it would be an appealing choice with a base price competitive to the GR86, but it doesn't appear to be at $42k base. (The 370z could be had for $30k). I like the Z, but for $42k it would be pretty far down my list if I was in the market.

Too expensive, too slow, too late to market (BMW went through the entire "We're never offering a manual in the Supra" to "Okay if you want a 4 cylinder manual you maybe can have one in the future I guess since we already have one for that engine" to "Okay fine now you can order the Supra with the manual now shut up" cycle in the time it took for the Z35 to come to market) too much like the outgoing car that itself wasn't very good by the time they stopped selling it, and too many problems from that car carried over/made worse. As soon as the Supra got its stickshift the Z35 was toast.

Also, truly horrible Nissan dealers; who expect that just because you're not coming on the lot with a 500 credit score that you must be Mr. Moneybags and are willing to spend a penny over MSRP on a car that's not really worth MSRP.

Last edited:
I think Nissan needs a base model 4 cylinder Z for $30k a lot more than it needs a likely $60k+ Nismo variant that nobody will buy.
Pretty sure they've always sold out of those in the past. Unfortunately I think they only way ICE sports cars are going to survive is going to be by catering to wealthier people, especially those with the ability to collect. Those people don't make rash decisions based on economic news, they've got money to spare. You and I, sports cars are already on the backburner from Day 1. A Nismo variant of this is going to be a sales success but you and I won't be the ones buying them.

Last edited:

lol.

lmao, even.

Infomercial Falling GIF

Is it because there wasn't enough demand (people actually paying- not just saying they want) for a manual?

It's probably some variety of Nissan taking the traditionally extremely overpriced Nismo Zs of the past twenty years and still not actually wanting to do any development work that normally coincides with high price flagship performance trim levels of already-sporty cars. In this case, that would likely mean making it so the Z35's manual transmission that has been carried over across 4 different administrations can handle even a tiny bit more torque than an 80s Corvette.

In comparison, the definitely-Mercedes-despite-claims-of-Nissan-employees-on-GTP slushbox is attached to cars making far more power than Nissan will ever push through it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think actual buyers are buying manuals. The new Mustang has a manual take rate of 27% for both GT and Dark Horse trims so far

And 27% is a pretty extreme uptake for manuals given the long term trend. All the OEMs have really figured out the science of quick, efficient, strong torque converters. Nissan’s own auto on the VQ has been great for years, Chrysler’s auto in the V6 in particular has been fun to drive, Mazda’s is great, etc. Those are the only flappy paddle autos I’ve experienced in cars marketed with sporting intentions.

Has the Fairlady Z been announced for production? I thought it was just a prototype at this stage.

I personally think it looks better than the Nismo.

I swear, Nissan is actively trying to destroy themselves. Imagine paying C8, M2 and Dark Horse prices for that. Especially once you realize that it's still ultimately a warmed-over 20 year-old car. Each of those cars is better in basically every single way.

I swear, Nissan is actively trying to destroy themselves. Imagine paying C8, M2 and Dark Horse prices for that. Especially once you realize that it's still ultimately a warmed-over 20 year-old car. Each of those cars is better in basically every single way.
C8 is for old men, M2 is embarrassing to be seen in, and Dark Horse is still a Mustang and I don't feel like finding a duck on my windshield every time I go to Target.

I'd literally rather have the Nissan than any of those cars, I don't actually care if it's worse.

That's why I don't mind the Z. It's different than the others. I can understand the dislike for its underpinnings, but it's still a performance car. Could Nissan have done better? Probably. Is this Z the Mustang II in Z history? I don't know. I like that it's still on the market. Plus, it's racing across various series.

Back