2024 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 278 comments
First thought: Wait, why is a submarine company advertising in NASCAR?
After looking it up: Oh, it's a low-key military recruitment thing, that makes a lot more sense
The part of my brain that's still 8 years old: Hahaha a driver named Waters is sponsored by submarines
His first name is Cameron. Last name of the guy that made The Abyss and Avatar: The Way of Water. ;)

White Sox looking to win something this year, to sponsor McDowell at Chicago:
1715897580806.png

Man... the transformation from abandoned ghost town to renovated race track at North Wilkesboro is wild. Welcome back, North Wilkesboro!

This was not a good event. 3 leaders through the entire 300 laps run in the open and the main event, and 1 driver just led 1 lap. Seeing the pole sitters lead 299 of 300 laps didn't scream anything other than a dud.

Last edited:
In yesterday's episode of "As SHR Turns":
  • Chase Briscoe, who SHR has an option on for next year, Noah Gragson, who signed a "multi-year" deal this past off-season, and Josh Berry, who joined SHR this past off-season, are all publicly making noises about moving on from the team
  • Gene Haas and Tony Stewart have basically been AWOL the last 2 seasons, with COO Joe Custer (Cole's father) being the highest-ranking SHR executive at the track most of this season
  • The hot rumor is SHR leaves Cup, but keeps its 2-car plus supplier Xfinity business
  • At least before Michael McDowell was confirmed to be leaving Front Row, Front Row's plan was to get a charter and garage space from SHR to grow to a 3-car Cup/1-truck team

While I'm not Surprised at Gene being an absentee owner (Seems like that's ALL he ever has been between the Cup team AND the F1 team), Stewart being one just flat out disappoints me. Just flat out say you're done with NASCAR instead of ghosting your team like this.

Starting to think being around Ray Evernham has taught him bad habits...

Last edited:
We'll have an almost-full field of 39 at the Coca-Cola 600. The part-time drivers/teams:
  • Kaz Grala in the full-time Rick Ware Racing #15 Ford
  • Shane van Gisbergen in the full-time Kaulig Racing #16 Chevy
  • JJ Yeley in the NY Racing #44 Chevy
  • "TBA" (later revealed to be Ty Dillon, who ran a couple races this year and is scheduled for 3 more in the #16) in the Team AmeriVet #50 Chevy (more on that in a bit)
  • Jimmie Johnson in the Legacy Motor Club #84 Chevy
Money Team Racing underwent an ownership and name change, with the Auchmoodys (who ran the team) and financial broker AmeriVet Securities buying out Floyd Mayweather.

Last edited:
Starting to think being around Ray Evernham has taught him bad habits...
As a Mayfield fan, I have so much to say about this. Making the Chase in '04 and '05, then getting shafted in '06 by having your team taken away from you and given to the struggling Kahne while getting the R&D crap. AND the team owner goes MIA while Erin is getting shafted (in a rather different way). Mayfield calls Ray out and is promptly canned. I think they've made up since, but needless to say I was pissed at the time. He never ran in proper, competitive equipment ever again.

While Stewart seems absent, hopefully he isn't also messing around with other women now that he's married.

Another funny thing is that they give this fine, suspend people and condemn the actions but meanwhile they will still use the footage for commercials, intros, etc.

I agree with everything but the fine. The crew members deserve the suspensions. Biggest surprise is NASCAR fining someone for punching a guy mid-sentence. They never have that I can recall. I get however people feel about Kyle Busch, but a mid sentence punch and your dad and crew pummeling the same guy is pretty chickens***. Don't think he should have got a fine but it is what it is. Crew deserved every part of it.

We will have a full field at the Coca-Cola 600 - Power Source has entered with the #66, and had a driver change from the original entry, with BJ McLeod replacing David Starr.

Interesting. They are using the 2nd half of the layout they initially planned to run the inaugural race. That hairpin is going to be tricky.

Cup race finished 151 laps shy of the full 400. Christopher Bell wins the rain-shortened race. Kyle Larson arrived at the track just as the race was red-flagged for rain. Justin Allgaier finishes 13th.

It’s a shame, but if they had gotten the race restarted, they wouldn’t have finished until probably 3 in the morning.

Last edited:
A couple of questions:
  • Which 2 SHR drivers aren't moving to Front Row next year? Chase Briscoe has supposedly been linked to the 21.
  • Who gets the shaft at Trackhouse - Zane Smith, Shane van Gisbergen, or Daniel Suarez? I'm assuming Ross Chastain is safe as he has both a contract for 2025 (unlike Suarez) and success (unlike Smith), and also assuming that, at least other than Hendrick and Gibbs, teams will be limited to 3 charters.
  • Where does the 4th SHR charter go? I doubt JR Motorsports will go to Cup with just 1 charter in play. Now, if the other 4-car teams (Hendrick, Gibbs) are forced to cut to 3 charters, that's another story.

A couple of questions:
  • Which 2 SHR drivers aren't moving to Front Row next year? Chase Briscoe has supposedly been linked to the 21.
  • Who gets the shaft at Trackhouse - Zane Smith, Shane van Gisbergen, or Daniel Suarez? I'm assuming Ross Chastain is safe as he has both a contract for 2025 (unlike Suarez) and success (unlike Smith), and also assuming that, at least other than Hendrick and Gibbs, teams will be limited to 3 charters.
  • Where does the 4th SHR charter go? I doubt JR Motorsports will go to Cup with just 1 charter in play. Now, if the other 4-car teams (Hendrick, Gibbs) are forced to cut to 3 charters, that's another story.
Supposedly Hendrick and Gibbs will be grandfathered in with their 4 charters. SVG might not be ready in 2025 so the question might be kicked down the road for 1 year.

Back