3D Modelling, Post your 3D models! (Cars, Planes, People, Landscapes etc!)

Is nobody doing 3D models anymore? :(

Here a quick racetrack render I made. Only the actual road surface for now, planning on adding more details later on.

View attachment 760682

I'am, sometimes. Busy with work and I'm getting used to Fusion360 slowly, bit by bit. Last home project was this mount I created for my 3D printer. It's a mount for cloths, straps etc for the laser engraving side of the machine..

43288787125_fb52bba1e7_b.jpg

A few things I had to think of..
1 : Biggest possible mount on a 125mm by 125mm plate, including the clamps for securing the cloth to the mount.
2 : free space for fingers AND screwdriver to secure the mount to his plate, that's why I designed the block with )---(
lines, just enough space to have a grip with your thumb and finger to unscrew the bolt fast and easy + the 4 notches at the top for screwdriver and possibly a special imbus tool later on (still searching for that).
3 : 3D printing is a slow progress, keeping the mount as light and hollow as possible is a way to decrease the printing time, so I created a few holes from the front to the back + add fillets at the bottom, also for a better look ofcourse :)

28800947667_9d0b51aa22_b.jpg

43690059601_f063c7e9c2_b.jpg

A small jump in time, designed the clamps for the mount. I ran out of red filament, so I changed it for a yellow for the second clamp.
At the 'inside' of the clamps I made a rougher surface for a better grip on the cloths or straps I want to engrave.
29820034948_994805dacb_b.jpg

42787186425_6f4de3126e_b.jpg

Laser engraver in action :

29820042138_9779a52539_b.jpg
29820038508_7ef527b2b0_b.jpg

Not the result as I hoped for, talking about the engraved image, but the mount was solid and doing what I hoped for.. ! :D

44136363501_33577a210e_c.jpg

Second attempt was a lot better. A subtile engraved text on a wipe for my sunglasses in our new (soon to be) mini camper.

I just learned that the Cycles rendering engine in Blender supports adaptive tessellation! :eek:

Tested it out by making this lightbulb scene:

91A57770-8820-410E-A1E7-3835FCD1DFB3.jpeg

Looks very nice Eran !

Maybe it's a cool and tough kind of storage enclosure for a watch?!

Or a kind of audio/cloud key you can put on top of your home smart speaker + a similar speaker you've in your office downtown ?!

Does anybody know of a decent manual for Arnold Atmospheric Volume (3DS Max)? I've never had any trouble lighting with older MentalRay versions but since the change to Arnold I'm banging my head against the screen.

Here's a test image, in MR the crepuscular (god) rays would be much stronger. This image is with Density at 0.01 - any higher and the image just blows out. Ignore the crap model... I normally do the survey scans or rexture other peoples', I'm a bit amateur at the rest of it :)

hoverlady2.jpg

I haven't posted anything here for nearly 2 years now lol.

Here's a R34 model I made a while ago one.

Pa2DHM2.jpg

eGGO4ct.jpg

xgF5mXq.jpg

Good job! Personally I hate modelling cars because it’s so hard to get a smooth surface when you’re working with complex geometry. I always end up with weird bumps everywhere.

I’d love to spend half a year at PD’s office just to see how they do it :P

Edit: Wow, just downloaded Blender 2.8 Beta, and it's amazing! That bit of subtle bloom... :drool:

Skärmbild (987).png

A little bugged, but amazing. Maybe it's because I loaded an old file, but in this workspace I can't select anything with the mouse, since left-click places the 3D cursor (like in the old version) and right-click brings up the object menu (like in 2.8). Also, the Eevee realtime rendering worked great until I switched to another workspace and then it created a bunch of weird artifacts along all the edges of the model. The only way to get rid of them was to turn on Volumetric (which is why I'm only using 1 sample of it, because I don't really want it).

Last edited:
My here-and-there 3D modeling has taken me to try to model a human. I came back to 3D modeling as I tried to learn some new techniques to model. I don't really care about human proportions unless I was trying to make an anatomically-correct human model. So what I ended up was perhaps my best effort to design a human model. It is low-polygon since I intended to make this somewhat worthy of sculpting later.

I apologize if I post something against the rules here, but here is my best effort. If I am not allowed to post this, then a link to my creative works site will be provided with the same image...

humanpractice_orig.png

My 3D Modeling Portfolio

With the techniques I've learned in modeling, I am going to make an effort to try modeling out fingers, toes, and eventually the head. I also went outside of my comfort zone a bit and try to work with an A-Pose for a human figure rather than a T-Pose. I am going to go a bit further out of my comfort zone by making bended lower legs for a more natural human pose. I am not using any reference images to help me model. I am simply going on simple dimensions from how I perceive the human body. I even have been looking at trying to properly model the curvature of the feet. Possible plans for all of this is to offer either a basic human model for games or to make models for any kind of game project.

I've been doing a few CAD Projects lately for the RC Aircraft Modeling Industry. Below image is constructed and rendered in 2018 Solidworks CAD. It's a scale replica of the Norden Bombsight from WWII Era B17/25 Military Bombers. RC Modelers will use this in their 1/6 to 1/10 scale RC aircraft. I have a site ScaleRcParts.com where I sell them.
norden-bombsight-012.JPG

Attachments

• norden-bombsight-masters-003.JPG
    norden-bombsight-masters-003.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 12
Just out of curiosity, how much time do you have invested in that house project?

Well, it depends on how you count. Actual modelling time it’s maybe two hours. The model is mostly procedural, so it’s a really fast workflow. The walls for instance are just flat planes, with thickness being added by a modifier. The windows are just minor variations of a single model. The fences are done with array modifiers.

But it’s based on a house I made in The Sims 4, so add another two hours for designing it in the game.

And that house is based on a house featured in an episode of Columbo, so that’s about two hours of watching the episode and capturing screenshots from as many angles as possible.

So in total, around 6 hours?

BA52EA79-6585-421F-8CDD-867B2200EC11.jpeg 3CDB8F2F-F5B0-4AE3-8908-F12C570A98FE.jpeg

Some more architectural renders. I was kind of happy with the chair model, but now I realise that the risk of tipping over is pretty big, so I should bring the legs further back.

Also, a good tip for modelling chairs in Blender is to use the cloth simulation to make the seat more curved.

And that house is based on a house featured in an episode of Columbo, so that’s about two hours of watching the episode and capturing screenshots from as many angles as possible.

Now there's a thought... I wonder if AgiSoft Photoscan could sfm them?! I might have to try that this weekend :D

I modeled a sofa and a TV for the house. The wood materials, the concrete material and the ground material are from poliigon.com.

lightHouse_21.png

I was just planning on doing some small edits, but I ended up remodeling the entire house :scared:

lightHouse_29.png

The stairs are now compliant with the building codes of the Swedish National Board of Housing, Building and Planning :D
The guard rails, on the other hand, are not (you're not supposed to be able to climb on them) :embarrassed:
lightHouse_30.png lightHouse_31.png
lighthouse_edit.png

The only thing I kept from the old model was the furniture.

Back