50 Greatest liveries of all time.

• Thread starter albteman015
  • 1,626 comments
Ardius
I also think the large numbers can actually detract from the livery too.

The numbers on most race cars were fairly large, until sponsorship forced them on a diet around the mid-1970s. NASCAR bucked that trend, probably because there's been plenty of room on the roof and doors. Although, I wouldn't be shocked if it was set into the rules about its dimensions...

Aric Almirola drove with the King's old colors today. It really caught my eye, nice looking car.

r5P70.St.81.jpeg

167099169-aric-almirola-driver-of-the-stp-farmland-gettyimages.jpg

Is... is... that Gulf?

Either way, it's HORRID.

The grilles on the latest generation of Fords seem like a blatant rip-off of the current Aston Martin range. :odd:

The numbers on most race cars were fairly large, until sponsorship forced them on a diet around the mid-1970s. NASCAR bucked that trend, probably because there's been plenty of room on the roof and doors. Although, I wouldn't be shocked if it was set into the rules about its dimensions...

Yeah but back then liveries were very simple, so the numbers didn't detract from the design.
Its more that the numbers in NASCAR are so large that they break up some of the liveries a little too much, seeing as they basically take up the entire side of the car from top to bottom. It works with some liveries that incorporate it, but some liveries look worse because of it. I also feels its a limiting factor on more simple designs, like I said, a plain 1 colour livery (no designs or anything) looks rubbish in NASCAR because half the car is covered in lots of small logos plus the huge numbers.

It's what makes me extra sad that Ferrari lately have moved more and more away from their traditional all-red scheme to more and more graphics (in both F1 and GT). They could still have their old red livery with the Santander logos and still look good, especially if they brought back the red-with-black-wings design. :drool:

It's now almost a breath of fresh air to see a single-colour scheme these days!

It's STP, hence the giant STP logo on the hood.

I've never liked that STP scheme so I'll agree with you that it's rather crappy looking.

Oh I see, never heard of STP, so didn't clock on. Still vile. Love this though;

2001 Vic Lee Racing Peugot 406

15872.jpg

21316.jpg

I love Sergey Sirotkin's ISR livery in Formula Renault 3.5 this year:

07_Sergey_Sirotkin_Action.jpg
And I really like the AV Formula design, too - it's nice and bright and very simple; I've always liked orange as a colour for a racing car:

19_Yann_Cunha_Action.jpg

I also like this Petronas design. It's a shame Mercedes can't (or won't) do something similar:

12_Jazeman_Jaafar_Action.jpg

It's funny how one slight change in colour can make a good livery look horrible. Oliver Webb's design looks great:

06_Oliver_Webb_Action.jpg

But Stoffel Vandoorne's looks too busy:

07_Stoffel_Vandoorne_Action.jpg

This was the best Enstone livery of recent times:

67121.jpg
I never liked that livery, mostly because dark blue has been over-used in recent years. At one point, it felt like half the grid used it. I always liked the light blue colouring better.

E93.jpg

tumblr_mlsxf6d9sC1rod8iso1_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lpuk1zITWE1qkecpbo1_500.jpg

In black F1 cars, I'm surprised that the UOP Shadow cars haven't been mention.

Last edited:
I hate that livery, the blue is too dark and it looks like nothing goes together. Even the wheels are a terrible colour :yuck:

Its more of a nostalgic throwback scheme to Rusty Wallace's Blue Deuce so not really designed to be the most aesthetically pleasing to those unfamiliar with the previous occupant of the #2 car.

Doesn't mean to say the livery isn't great which the topic title is centred upon.

It's all about the type of car. The Lightning McQueen livery looks good on a current NASCAR rather than an old Stock Car. Some retro & throwback liveries just don't work as well on the current machines.

I still think this was the best Miller livery.

1994RS2MILLER1.jpg

I'd love to see Penske re-run this, I think it'd look absolutely fantastic on the Fusion.

Best liveries:

Calsonic GTR's
Silk Cut Jag
Martini racing (porsches and lancias)
Alitalia stratos
Hey the gt5 shadow liveries are pretty sweet :sly:
Green w yellow stripe Lotus 49

But the best livery...

ANYTHING THAT SAYS GULF ON IT! :bowdown:

E93.jpg

tumblr_mlsxf6d9sC1rod8iso1_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lpuk1zITWE1qkecpbo1_500.jpg

In black F1 cars, I'm surprised that the UOP Shadow cars haven't been mention.

👍 No problems here, but probably not terribly memorable in the long run. Shadow later couldn't seem to keep sponsors, and went through a livery change every five races, it seemed.

Latest Posts

Back