Baltimore Key Bridge Collapsed

• Thread starter Tornado
  • 76 comments
On this other video, the ship seems to have had problem as we see power going off and on, then at the very last time, what it seems to be an avoidance maneuver:

It was said the same vessel was already involved in an incident in 2016 in Belgium.
I wonder what the average quota for accidents of larger ships is ...

The footage of the collision is shocking to see - especially as you see the cars that just crossed the bridge seconds before it collapsed. A day to count your blessings if you are one of those lucky ones!

In addition to all the people who lost their lives, I can even fathom the financial and logistical toll behind fixing the situation. There are thousands of tons of steel and concrete in the water that needs to be cleared, the ship itself needs to be cleared and potentially unloaded, the shipping lane needs to be dredged, and you eventually need to rebuild a bridge. This is also the only shipping land in and out of Baltimore. It's the East Coast, so there are a ton of other ports that can be used, but it will cost the city an insane amount of money in lost revenue. Apparently, the port handles vehicles and 25% of coal exports in the US. It's also a rapidly growing port and is somewhere between the 9th and 13th busiest ports in the US (depending on what source was used).

This also isn't counting the numerous lawsuits that will happen and the absolute massive headache this is going to cause for transportation around the Patapsco River.

Looking at the vessel tracker data, it looks like there are a few ships that are essentially stuck in the port now too, including a car hauler and a few Navy ships.

Yikes, flashbacks of the Summit Venture Disaster on the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. That was the call for larger bridge abutments to fend off ships that can get tossed around in bad weather or in rough waters, making steering difficult. I suspect these abutment protections aren't designed for all of these ever-larger ships; the DALI was over 300 meters long and stacked to the gills with containers.

My thoughts and hopes for the best for those affected; I guess all I can add is that thank goodness it didn't happen during the rush hours.

The Key bridge for Interstate 695 was originally supposed to be a two-lane tunnel, but it was cost-prohibitive (not that it's any cheaper now). In order to get four lanes, the span option was chosen. This will be a multi-year traffic nightmare; Interstate 95 gets clogged though downtown and The Fort Henry Tunnel is pretty narrow. The Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (Interstate 895) can't accept trucks over 13 feet, which is quite low, as truck averages are 15-16 feet in height.

This is what it looks like before landing in Baltimore; it's at the upper left of the photo:

It was always a little on the narrow side; I'm going about 5-10mph at this point with the lane blocked:

Last edited:
Will definitely push people to the western side of the beltway. In order to go further east? Now you have to take 301 to 50 and completely bypass Baltimore.

it will cost the city an insane amount of money in lost revenue. Apparently, the port handles vehicles and 25% of coal exports in the US. It's also a rapidly growing port and is somewhere between the 9th and 13th busiest ports in the US (depending on what source was used).
In terms of footing the bill, does the fall to the city, state or Federal government?

In terms of footing the bill, does the fall to the city, state or Federal government?

Probably emergency Federal money, which usually is the case in disasters like this. States just can't easily allocate 3-4 billion dollars on a moment's notice.

Way back in the day (pre-1990s) the Feds paid for roughly 90% of initial Interstate funding and the state(s) paid the remaining 10%. Now it's the reverse; states generally pay for 90% of it and the Federal funding is closer to 10%, which is one of several reasons why new highway infrastructure has halted. Maintenance is also somewhere on the 90-100% scale for the states to foot the bill. So the state probably has to later pony up some fraction of it, but since it's a vital link for National Highway System and STRAHNET, they'll worry about that later. Maryland does toll that section of the route, so they will probably have to dip into that fund.

Do they get to bill Maersk the rest?...well, that's why these big shipping companies have insurance.

Last edited:
Already the conspiracy theories are flowing. There's a whole segment of the population instantly jumps to conspiracies before they know anything about the event. Like they're trained to do it.

To be clear, the "training" I'm referring to is from watching movies about conspiracies, or listening to parents, or being fed lots of insinuations from talk radio hosts like Alex Jones who is a conspiracy theorist, or whatever else. I'm not hinting at a conspiracy to teach people to be conspiracy theorists. I wasn't going to say the illuminati is training people to be conspiracy theorists or anything.

Last edited:
Already the conspiracy theories are flowing. There's a whole segment of the population instantly jumps to conspiracies before they know anything about the event. Like they're trained to do it.
I mean, the boat hit the main support of the center span. The boat is 984 ft long. That would have caused the bridge to kink at the very least so people are just dumb.

I mean, the boat hit the main support of the center span. The boat is 984 ft long. That would have caused the bridge to kink at the very least so people are just dumb.
The conspiracy theories I'm seeing are assuming that the boat intentionally rammed the support to take the bridge down. To what end? That I don't know. Probably "the government" or something.

Federal money, insurance, emergency funds, and lawsuits against the shipping company. There are probably other sources I'm overlooking too.
Already the conspiracy theories are flowing.
The bridge, the Dali, and the boat captain were all vaccinated. The Biden administration also paid the shipping company to hit the bridge and distract the nation from the real threat of Hunter Biden. The bridge was specifically targeted because it was named after the guy who wrote the Star Spangled Banner and Biden is anti-American and wants to symbolize taking down something patriotic. Also, Russia is blaming Ukraine for some reason.

Well. Vessels are slow and turn profoundly slowly. To hit it with about 1/3of the boat(from the first video angle) seems pretty…wow. Seems like a crazy mistake for a river pilot. Most of the time thats a pretty rock solid breed.

Eta: im not conspiracy or anything. More wutttttt and i can’t wait to hear this one..

Last edited:
An unclassified Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency report said the container ship Dali “lost propulsion” as it was leaving port and warned Maryland officials of a possible collision, ABC reported.

“The vessel notified MD Department of Transportation (MDOT) that they had lost control of the vessel and an allision [a ship collision] with the bridge was possible,” the report said
Concurs with the video footage of the ship lights going off and on before the impact.

Concurs with the video footage of the ship lights going off and on before the impact.
Yeah. I guess its the time lapse making traffic seem a lot closer to the time of impact than it was. Its such a crazy thing in a very busy place.

For kicks, I thought I would look up what's going on with the conspiracies and holy 🤬 it's wild. You can see some highlights here:

This is the best one:
The second I heard of this news article, my gut told me something was off.

A 5 second google search just led me to find out the at TRUMP had a hearing(or something like that)yesterday and WON. So he appealed the court’s amount of money and got it lowered by hundreds of millions.

I wouldn’t put it past our government to stage a false flag or bridge collapse on the day of his hearing, because we don’t need “TRUMP WINS” all over headlines today.

Also, it's clearly Diddy's fault:
Baltimore has long been rumoured to be the Hub for International Sex Trafficking.

Diddy gets raided in same 24 hour period alleged of Sex Trafficking?

Already the conspiracy theories are flowing.

Yeah and it's bots all posting the same identical text with the same video.

You'll never guess what website it's happening on.

The bridge was specifically targeted because it was named after the guy who wrote the Star Spangled Banner and Biden is anti-American and wants to symbolize taking down something patriotic.

So tempted to make a joke about the Betsy Ross and George Washington Bridges but it's too soon.

Last edited:
I heard they are seeing cars(sonar) in the water. Which is crazy to me given how slowly these vessels move.
Reports suggesting they are the vehicles used by the repair crews who were working on repairing potholes etc at the time of the collision.

Apparently the ship's captain declared a mayday before the bridge strike.

Apparently the ship's captain declared a mayday before the bridge strike.
And they managed to limit the traffic on the bridge because of it. So while it was bad, it could've been much worse in terms of loss of life.

What is the estimated loss of life so far? It's hard to see how busy the bridge was at the time even with a warning.

I'm only just realizing I've been on this bridge when I was kid. If I'm remembering the right bridge, it was tall (steep) and scary.

Last edited:
Back