Beam NG Drive

• Thread starter JR98
  • 129 comments
I would ask for a picture of the aftermath but i guess some vaporisation occured:lol:

GggvyxRl.jpg

hJsyUcKl.jpg

471 MPH? ROOKIE NUMBERS.

Five years since I last commented on this thread, I now have a PC capable of running this. Just need my controller to arrive and then I can enjoy it. I loaded it up and did a short distance with the keyboard and then crashed on purpose on an Italian armco.

I'm going to enjoy this immensely, as will my 7 year old step son when he sees you can put caravans on cars and roll over!

Last edited:
VXR
Five years since I last commented on this thread, I now have a PC capable of running this. Just need my controller to arrive and then I can enjoy it. I loaded it up and did a short distance with the keyboard and then crashed on purpose on an Italian armco.

I'm going to enjoy this immensely, as will my 7 year old step son when he sees you can put caravans on cars and roll over!
It's great fun, still needs a lot of work on it, as the UI is just nasty.

It's great fun, still needs a lot of work on it, as the UI is just nasty.

I did notice that. A shame, as the ability to alter settings or use functions on the radial UI that pops up is a nice idea.

I decided to sample Beam NG the other day after watching a viperconcept video about the hardest racing games. He put it above Project Cars 2 and I'm thinking, is it really that hard? I mean, my brother plays Beam NG so if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. Now, my brother doesn't like sim racers in the slightest, and doesn't like Project Cars 2 at all. But for some reason he can play Beam NG without too much trouble and understands it quite well. I didn't really consider Beam NG to be a real simulator with realistic handling; I just thought it was a soft-body crash simulator. Not anymore. It has a great physics engine that really captures the feeling of a car, unlike anything else I've ever played. Project Cars 2 is very good but it doesn't always feel natural and can be rather frustrating. You need to stuff around with the controller settings and tune the car to get it working properly. Not many vehicles are driveable straight out of the box. Beam NG doesn't require any of this, which shocks me. How can a full-on simulator be soo accessible? It is absolute proof that simulators don't have to be hard. They can be fun and highly enjoyable. If you have a basic understanding of car dynamics, you can play this game. The physics engine is the best I've ever experienced, as it captures each type of car soo well. The old jalopies wallow around on crappy tires, front wheel-drive cars get wheel hop and lift-off oversteer, off-roaders bounce around on bumpy terrain and the modern cars feel refined and very safe. I think it's brilliant.

I saw that too and I don't think his list is correct. BeamNG looks like good simulation but probably far from racing simulations. It's cool to have physics to simulates everything but still you need correct calculations. Maybe I am wrong but I don't think BeamNG is so advanced. I still love BeamNG.Drive because that's exactly my play style.

Beam got an update a month or so ago that dramatically improved the tarmac handling; though I can't attest to how great it is objectively compared to iRacing or whatever.

Off-roading in this game is an absolute hoot because of the suspension and tyre physics, which IMO puts everything else to shame. I like to do a bit of bush bashing but I don't often get the chance, nor do I have a game to properly simulate it. I mean it's good in Forza Horizon 4 but Beam NG takes the cake and runs away with it.

OK, controller has many helpers for offroading in Horizon. It's very stable. On the other hand if you enable direct input in BeamNG you have pretty good simulation. I don't say the best but better than many normal games.

[...]The old jalopies wallow around on crappy tires, front wheel-drive cars get wheel hop and lift-off oversteer, off-roaders bounce around on bumpy terrain and the modern cars feel refined and very safe. I think it's brilliant.

Have you tried the Covet? It's a lot of fun, very light. And I also had some fun getting an I6 Barstow, doing weight reduction and taking it to a track. Unfortunately, at least back when I did that, you couldn't tune it's I6 engine.

That reminds me. Have you tried Automation export to BeamNG? It's pretty cool. Car deformation is different then but your engine and car are there.

This in combination with Automation caught my attention, though the latter is a bit more restrictive than I imagined. To be fair, it's supposed to be a car manufacturing tycoon game and the Beam NG export is only a bonus, but I would have liked more detail and freedom in car design. The aero portion in particular felt kind of tacked on.

Beam NG itself is a pretty neat game though, I like the detail put into the cars and the range of physics scenarios you can simulate.

BeamNG.drive v0.26 - Covet the Moment

This amazing update gets even better once you discover there is a hidden preview of the long-awaited career mode! :eek:

We just wanted to let you know that with the release of version 0.26, we are bringing the foundational phase of the Career mode to the game. Well, sort of.

We’re so excited to finally be focusing on the Career Mode that we’ve decided to include the current, very early stages, INCREDIBLY EXPERIMENTAL VERSION as an Easter Egg. If you want to check out this foundational phase of the Career Mode, click the Career button on the Main Menu six times to enter the career preview and see what we’ve been up to.

Just a warning though: This is very much still a Work in Progress. It’s going to be temperamental, volatile, it’s going to be buggy, and it’s most likely going to look nothing like the final product. However, we thought it would be a good idea to activate it now, because the point of Early Access is, after all, to be able to follow along with the development of a game you’re passionate about.

We are currently working hard to develop the mode further and we will share more news along with the next major release and possible in between through our usual Teaser Tuesdays.

We would like to reiterate that this is a very early preview and you will definitely encounter issues and your progress will be lost with future updates as the files will not be compatible with the next release. You can share the bugs you encounter in this thread but make sure to follow our usual reporting guidelines (disable mods, clearly state which part of the UI/game is affected, what is the issue and what is the expected behavior).

I bought the game on steam not too long back and MAN it is fun to just screw around and watch as big, well built crafted cars get crumpled up like paper. the only issue i have is that cars don't get dirty- even when they're all broken apart and mangled, they still look totally clean. It's a bit weird, but otherwise fun game. I wish we could do burnout-style races with some of the faster cars, they handle really well

Last edited:
I pick up a PC I've had built today, since the last one I had crapped out (the builder took it in exchange for parts at a discount on the new one) and you can bet your bottom dollar this is the first game I'm playing from my Steam library!

rsz_1img_20221010_115741.png

Just me casually recreating my old E36 320i right down to the tow hitch 😁 it's 95% identical, although it's the facelift front bumper, stuck with a white side indicator and the UK plate is white both ends. Very happy with the result, though.

I've also been enjoying the car delivery missions. Started on East Coast, and now moved onto Italy, which offers much more interesting roads.

Last edited:
VXR
View attachment 1199263

Just me casually recreating my old E36 320i right down to the tow hitch 😁 it's 95% identical, although it's the facelift front bumper, stuck with a white side indicator and the UK plate is white both ends. Very happy with the result, though.

I've also been enjoying the car delivery missions. Started on East Coast, and now moved onto Italy, which offers much more interesting roads.
Wow have you made that from scratch? wow..

also one of my replays i set up like Terminator 2 crashing into cars..

Back