Drifting too easy with DS2, but harder on DFP.

Ske
The hardest part about learning the DFP for me (still) is that I have a semi-functional DF that I'm used to. I should just take a hammer and smash that pos so I'm forced to sit down with the pro.. but then again.. ;)

And as for learning time, at least try a few weeks of focused practice before judging your progress. I learned the DF pretty quick, but I imagine the DFP (900d) would take a bit longer because of the more vague feedback and the fact that you have to throw the wheel around and cross hands. Just knowing where your wheels are pointing at any time takes practice with the DFP..
Not really,small motions can have big affect on the car's angle(feint) maybe 270' (approximately), will get the car really sideways(depends on the car, driver, settings) the trick is to not counter steer to quickly (had real problems at first, now I use the feedback, loosely gripping the wheel and letting it do most of the work)then just judging the angle to create or reduce oversteer, then centering the streeing position once again trying to achieve little or no resistance.

Well what I was trying to say was that the DF has more 'direct' feedback, at least that's how I feel... Finding the sweet spot is a bit more hit and miss with the DFP yet. I'm getting better at knowing where my wheel is pointing blindly, though that was a big problem when I started (it's still something that needs ironing out).. and that's a problem you don't get with the 200 degree DF, since your hands are always in the same position..

I sat down and drove a few runs with the DFP again today (first time in a while), and I think I'm making progress.. It was just a matter of getting a car with good soft stock suspension (R32 GTS-t in my case) out on HSR and Tsukuba and try not to worry about linking yet.. And so far, so good. I really like HSR cause you get the time to learn how to adjust the steering and throttle mid drift. Tsukuba is also a favorite cause it builds precision at low angle. A couple more runs like this and it's time to go to Suzuka East for some linking practice :)

Ske
Well what I was trying to say was that the DF has more 'direct' feedback, at least that's how I feel... Finding the sweet spot is a bit more hit and miss with the DFP yet. I'm getting better at knowing where my wheel is pointing blindly, though that was a big problem when I started (it's still something that needs ironing out).. and that's a problem you don't get with the 200 degree DF, since your hands are always in the same position..

I sat down and drove a few runs with the DFP again today (first time in a while), and I think I'm making progress.. It was just a matter of getting a car with good soft stock suspension (R32 GTS-t in my case) out on HSR and Tsukuba and try not to worry about linking yet.. And so far, so good. I really like HSR cause you get the time to learn how to adjust the steering and throttle mid drift. Tsukuba is also a favorite cause it builds precision at low angle. A couple more runs like this and it's time to go to Suzuka East for some linking practice :)
Thats good just keep up the practice and it will be easy. (not that is easy in anyway,but atleast more fun!)

Suzuki
only 4 hours? you cant be good or decent in under 4 hours.
im sure it took me over 4 months after gt4 came out to get used to drifting with the wheel. keep praticing and youll get better as time goes by and as youve had more seat time.
yeah, but i use the DS2, i have dfp but i think seems impossible... anyway, i think i know the technique quite well since i was drifting in gt3, but GT4 is so different form gt3 on the handling and stuff. go to the Drifting Videos forum and check out my vid if you wanna help me, and tell me what i do wrong...

Hey guys i got my DFP wheel today, I'm very happy with it and have made a cockpit using an old Chamberlain Viper seat, I'm registering with a photo site now because there have been lots of photo requests for me. Now you're asking what has this post got to do with this thread, well I earlier in the post someone compared drifting using the DFP and in real-life using a Nissan 280SX (I think it was) anyway I have drifted the BMW M Coupe in real-life amongst other cars and I can confirm that on the DFP the steering is too heavy as though the game thinks the front wheels have more resistive grip than they would in real-life. But I now have a solution that will make everyones drifts perfect!!!

You know how on trucks and large vehicles you have the round knob that clamps to the wheel and clamps up, allowing the driver to manuver the truck easily. Well get one of the those clamp it on and you can spin the DFP so fast and also make inch perfect adjustments during your drift. I tried it and can almost replicate a true to life drift around Midfield in a BMW M Coupe

sauberc11
You know how on trucks and large vehicles you have the round knob that clamps to the wheel and clamps up, allowing the driver to manuver the truck easily. Well get one of the those clamp it on and you can spin the DFP so fast and also make inch perfect adjustments during your drift. I tried it and can almost replicate a true to life drift around Midfield in a BMW M Coupe

Congratulations, you have just invented a new type of drifting...............

GRANDMOTHER DRIFTING ;)

Seriously though, it is heavy and i think every person who gets a DFP hates it for the first week or so but you get used to it. you learn not to force the wheel, not to be so heavy handed with it and ,as i have found, let the wheel do the work! Its been said hundreds of times before but practice and a certain amount of finesse is the only way to learn how to use the wheel to its full potential.

Spec....

now ive been using DFP for about.. 3 days.. and realized that with DS2 you can counter-steer much more than with the wheel.. or is it just me that needs 2 practice more?

Well I say that, If you wanted to use the wheel the best possible time to do it would have been right away. I have never used the DS2 for more than 5 minutes on GT3 or GT4 because I can't. And my freinds only used the DS2 the entire time. Well all two of them, that had played GT earlier, neither of them could adapt whatsoever to the DFP however, my family members who never before heard of the game , did, well still bad, but better then on the DS2. But on a side note,now I cant even use any wheel that goes only goes 180 degrees because of the DFP.

Mr.Code
^ Dude. Your a tool.
ban him now!!! :lol: kidding

i recently switched from the DS2 to the DFP, having no real life drift experience, i found it easy to initiate the drift but im struggling to counter-steer quick enough to control the drift. *goes back on the ps2 to practice*

I'm new to the drifting scene, so I might not be the best person to comment on this, but I've found the DFP very easy to get to grips with. Using a game pad just doesn't work for me some how. I can't explain it, but it's totaly unnatural. Real life drifter use a steering wheel, so I'll do the same.

As for how long it takes to get used to it. I've been at it for two weeks, and I've pulled off some half decent drifts, but I couldn't start linking them together or even think about entering a GTP Drifting compition.

well seeing i dont have a wheel i use the ds2 it is pretty easy to slide cause inertia drifts braking drifts etc but! one thing is you cant control your throttle as precisley as you can with a pedal so thats a place where ds2 is flawed espically when driving the snow.......

I find the ds2 scary, I haven't used it since I bought gt3 and the DFP, so I've never used it for the gt series ever. So pretty much my only opinion is from the DFP, which I find perfect for my type of drifting, which goes for speed instead of show. Since I skipped a few pages I'm gonna bring back up an old part of this topic which was the DFP vs RL driving, which to me is not much different minus a different style of feedback. Since I pretty much only go for speed I don't have to turn the steering wheel as much as you would show drifting. It all depends on what you're doing in the game.

Also remember, the feedback from the DFP also gives you a serious understanding of the weight shifting in the car, and even the slipping of the tires, but it's the only feedback you get besides the screen. So really they have to multiply it so you really know what's going on. You don't get the feeling of being moved in your seat by just turning, nor do you get all the nifty bumps in the road. So personally the DFP gives me a much better understanding of the road and pretty much the entire driving experience in GT4 than the ds2 would ever give me.

Yes, I drive for realism not for fun and games, though it still is fun :P.

Implausibility out.

Like DT_C said about the feedback from the wheel. In real life, you could let go of the wheel or throw it around to spin it faster during drifts. But in the DFP case, you wouldnt be able to do that because of its unrealistic feedback.

You can do anything with the DS2 really... it just takes a LOT of dexterity to get as much precision out of it as you can with a wheel. You don't get the feedback either, making it even trickier... but it's definitely possible

Hey everyone im new!anyway, i think the ds2 is pretty easy to drift with, especially if you hold the left stick up, then smoothly move it round the edge of the plastic till you get enough rotation(if that makes any sense whatsoever!)

I drifted with DS2 then switched to DFP for about 2 months now. At first the DFP wasn't impressive but after some practice and after one night I just got it. It all mad sense to me and I could drift better then I could with DS2. DFP is way more precise in every aspect, not to mention you can feel what the car is doing. To me the DS2 seems like a cheating device since you can recenter or go lock to lock in a mater of split second. Try that in a real car. But anyways, I highly recommend the DFP, and if you do get one, but some serious practice time into it and watch other peoples videos, it will help.

Just thinking about it, how much do people spend for a Certain video game. even though that there is a certain limit for the DS2 but what about the DFP? If there is a certain level or skill that the DS2 is limited, shouldn't the DFP have a higher level? I am not a DFP person because I can't afford it and sometimes I do want it but its just going to be a waste. But it is mainly seen that the DFP is highly praised than the DS2, does it really have realistic touch to it with real life drifting?

Just thinking about it, how much do people spend for a Certain video game. even though that there is a certain limit for the DS2 but what about the DFP? If there is a certain level or skill that the DS2 is limited, shouldn't the DFP have a higher level? I am not a DFP person because I can't afford it and sometimes I do want it but its just going to be a waste. But it is mainly seen that the DFP is highly praised than the DS2, does it really have realistic touch to it with real life drifting?

In my opinion you can be alot more precise with a wheel than a DS2, I used the DS2 for like 2 years, and then got a wheel and found GT4 funner(i know its not a word). Try it out if you cant afford it, just buy it from best buy and return it before the 2-week gaurantee is over.

In my opinion you can be alot more precise with a wheel than a DS2, I used the DS2 for like 2 years, and then got a wheel and found GT4 funner(i know its not a word). Try it out if you cant afford it, just buy it from best buy and return it before the 2-week gaurantee is over.

Well, I have a Madcatz wheel but most likely if I am going to buy a DFP and which makes the game more fun then I will not probably return it. But I know that this forum has Top DS2 Drifters, I think Thio, bustwave and Sheron are them. I am probably like the low ones.

Well, I have a Madcatz wheel but most likely if I am going to buy a DFP and which makes the game more fun then I will not probably return it. But I know that this forum has Top DS2 Drifters, I think Thio, bustwave and Sheron are them. I am probably like the low ones.

Do it...get a dfp...you've been on this board long enough to find out what you have been missing....btw....madcatz has nothing on the logitech dfp...If you get a DFP i guarantee you won't get rid of it...i have bought 2...and got one on the side as a bonus too...Thanks logitech.

how did you get one on the side??? You mean for free lol??

for the same reason i bought 1 dfp and now have 2. we both had first gen wheels they were cheap, plastic pots in the pedals, my wheel was wobbly. so we called logitech and they sent one out for the frizzle(free for you non L337 speak people).
now my old one wont work without a chip from my new one, because i helped breaker fix his wheel with my broken one.

how did you get one on the side??? You mean for free lol??

yeah for free :) I went to e3 and a logitech engineer was asking me questions...So I told him I loved the dfp...found a station with gt4...Drifted in front of him..(while drifting some random guy asked to film me)....receved his business card....then received a dfp in the mail.

Well i've been drifting a DS2 for a long time, but now I have to learn to drift all over again because the DFP was a suggested tool to do better..

The way I learned to drift with the DS2 was countersteering regular oversteer on regular races... The skill to control the skids got better and better... Eventually I saw GT drifting, and gave it a go. I was pretty good for a first timer... I used the steering to control the angle, not the throttle.. Anyway I got the DFP and the drift method is more of throttle control, which i'm new with.. Every time I countersteer, the throttle needs to be increased, yet I lack the control right now so it ends up in the wall..

Are there any suggestions to start drifting with the wheel as far as tracks and cars?

Should I start with a powerful or underpowered car? Fast track, or hairpin track?

Anything that can ease the pain of learning would be appreciated..

Latest Posts

Back