• Thread starter Liquid
  • 763 comments

Liquid

Fission Mailed
Premium
Slovakia
Bratvegas
GTP_Liquid
Welcome to dumb questions, a place to post your queries on topics which aren't quite scholarly or academic to warrant their own thread, to ask questions that don't necessarily have an answer or to ask a question with an obvious answer that you don't know.

We have lots of members with backgrounds in languages, engineering, medicine as well as other niche, esoteric disciplines so someone might indeed be able to answer your question.

Do:

- Ask interesting questions to which there isn't necessarily an answer
- Post questions on quirky scientific topics that you're not familiar with
- Ask obvious things that you don't understand

Do Not:

- Use it as an excuse to bring up an obviously racist or bigoted topic

Good Examples:

Why isn't unlimited or free energy possible?
I know it's something to do with gas but how does a fridge work?
What colour is water?
How does economic inflation work?

Bad Examples:

Why are black people like monkeys?
Why do Jews love money?

There is a place for questions about humanity and the human race but just bear in mind to not stray onto the side of scientific racism or outright bigotry.

Remember, this is a place for dumb questions, not edgy questions.

Last edited:
I'll get the ball rolling:

Do blind people have extramarital affairs at the same rate as those with vision?

This is something dumb I've often wondered about. It makes me think about how frequent looks play a part in it as well as two magnetic personalities clcking; to a blind person, I assume that looks are going to play a minimal-to-zero role in the attraction.

And by blind, I mean blind. Not partially sighted.

Speaking of attraction amongst blind people:

Are blind people more fluid in their sexuality?

I lived with a blind guy while at university. He was comfortably straight but with the visual element taken away, in the case of those blind from birth completely, do they have the same conception of what body parts they do and don't want to touch?

So this is basically the same concept as r/NoDumbQuestions?

Here's my question. Why do so many poor and working-class folks in America support policies/candidates that only hurt them, not help them? I mean seriously, I don't know how non-rich people defend policies such as tax cuts for the rich, corrupt capitalism, a much smaller government, "pull yourself up by your bootstraps", and protest against raising the minimum wage and a universal healthcare system yet be supportive when the government spends trillions on the military or corporate bailouts. It's just mind-boggling. I try to be open-minded and see both sides but the GOP has done absolutely NOTHING to help poor and the working class, yet tens of millions of them love Trump like he's the second coming of Jesus. The cost of living (healthcare more than anything) is increasing at a higher rate than wages are and social services are being cut, due to the party's inaction. Is corporate propaganda like Fox so powerful that these people believe these obvious falsehoods without even considering why they do? Or why the progressives are wrong? Obviously, the biggest roadblock for the progressive movement in America is corrupt billionaires and multimillionaires who exploit people and don't pay their fair share, but poor and working-class people who vehemently defend them aren't helping.

Here's my question. Why do so many poor and working-class folks in America support policies/candidates that only hurt them, not help them? I mean seriously, I don't know how non-rich people defend policies such as tax cuts for the rich, corrupt capitalism, a much smaller government, "pull yourself up by your bootstraps", and protest against raising the minimum wage and a universal healthcare system yet be supportive when the government spends trillions on the military or corporate bailouts. It's just mind-boggling. I try to be open-minded and see both sides but the GOP has done absolutely NOTHING to help poor and the working class, yet tens of millions of them love Trump like he's the second coming of Jesus. The cost of living (healthcare more than anything) is increasing at a higher rate than wages are and social services are being cut, due to the party's inaction. Is corporate propaganda like Fox so powerful that these people believe these obvious falsehoods without even considering why they do? Or why the progressives are wrong? Obviously, the biggest roadblock for the progressive movement in America is corrupt billionaires and multimillionaires who exploit people and don't pay their fair share, but poor and working-class people who vehemently defend them aren't helping.

I'm by no means rich, but I'm not exactly poor either since I'm fortunate enough to have a good-paying job. But I can shed some light on why I do support some of these policies (although I in no way support Trump or the GOP). Honestly, I want a smaller government because I think the government does a terrible job with everything. The bigger it gets, the more likely it will get involved in something and do a horrible job with it.

This is also why I do not want it involved in healthcare. Right now Medicaid and Medicare is a trainwreck that costs health systems time and money and is frankly not very good at treating people. If we expand it, it's just going to make hospitals operate less efficiently and bog the system down with treatments that aren't really needed because someone in the government says so. For example, if you hurt your knee you could go through an MRI, X-ray, injections, physical therapy, try numerous drugs, and probably try physical therapy again before they'll actually do surgery. All cases are different, but Medicaid and Medicare rules take away the ability for doctors to be doctors. Also, the charting they have to do is asinine with government-funded healthcare. When I was building documentation tools, the note templates of Medicaid and Medicare patients were at least double the length as a standard note because it needed to include a bunch of non-relevant BS.

As far as the minimum wage goes, raising it isn't going to help anyone. All employers will do is cut hours of employees or pass the cost increase onto the customer.

What I want is taxes to be cut drastically across the board and become a flat tax, say 10% of your income regardless of how much you make. That way everyone is paying the same share, from the poor to the ultra-rich. Or get rid of income tax altogether and solely rely on sales tax and property tax because that would tax the people who are using or consuming a given service. Regardless of how we get there though, I want people who work to keep as much of the money they earn as possible. People work hard for their money and they deserve to keep it. When I see 30% or more of my paycheck going to the government, it doesn't sit well with me.

As for why the working class and more specifically middle America supports Republicans? I think some of it has to do with religion, particularly the stance on abortion. Republicans are also more likely to shove Christian morals into the law. Another reason is guns and the second amendment. While I fully support the right to own a firearm, I'm not insane with it and I'm perfectly content with my hunting rifle, shotgun, and my pistol. I don't think I need anything more than a 9mm to defend my home and I don't think I'm trained properly to carry it in public. However, many people in middle America think otherwise and are convinced the liberals are coming to take their guns when in reality they can't. Trump has hurt gun rights more than Obama ever did, so I'm not sure why people keeping peddling that belief, but they do.

There's also the whole hero worship of police and the military. That's another reason middle America tends to support Republicans. Whether Republicans actually do any differently to support the military or law enforcement, I'm not sure, but they certainly sell it better than Democrats. So the people who worship the military and law enforcement eat it up and think by electing someone like Trump cops will somehow do a better job or something.

Finally, you have to look at the voting demographics. Younger people typically don't vote or simply can't vote due to work, school, whatever. Due to this, you have a predominantly older population voting who are typically more financially stable and have this fantasy idea that things are still like the 1950s. Yes, there are young Republicans and there are older Democrats, but I believe the trend is for older people to lean more conservative and for conservatives to tend to cater more to older people.

As someone with colour vision issues the dumbest question I regularly here is "What colour's this?, What colour's that?, what colour is the Sky?"

As someone with colour vision issues the dumbest question I regularly here is "What colour's this?, What colour's that?, what colour is the Sky?"

What sort of colour vision issue do you have?

What sort of colour vision issue do you have?

In simple terms, I'm red-green colour blind. Although neither term is accurate, I forget what the correct term is, but my eyes are essentially less able to detect red. Though red and green are really only indistinguishable for me when the thing, or light source, is only small (LED's on stuff being the most common example, text colour another), the much greater manifestation seems to be with shades of stuff that has a red element to it. I commonly mix up blues and purples, greens and browns, pinks and oranges.

Still, the number of times people will be like "what colour do you see grass as?" is too damn high.

edit: I once bought a brown sweater, thinking it was green, and my kitchen is/was purple, where I thought it was blue.

In simple terms, I'm red-green colour blind. Although neither term is accurate, I forget what the correct term is, but my eyes are essentially less able to detect red. Though red and green are really only indistinguishable for me when the thing, or light source, is only small (LED's on stuff being the most common example, text colour another), the much greater manifestation seems to be with shades of stuff that has a red element to it. I commonly mix up blues and purples, greens and browns, pinks and oranges.

Still, the number of times people will be like "what colour do you see grass as?" is too damn high.

edit: I once bought a brown sweater, thinking it was green, and my kitchen is/was purple, where I thought it was blue.

Are you legally allowed to drive?

Here's my question. Why do so many poor and working-class folks in America support policies/candidates that only hurt them, not help them?
Whether or not something helps you isn't the only consideration to take when voting. I won't vote for something that helps me if it hurts someone else for example.

I mean seriously, I don't know how non-rich people defend policies such as tax cuts for the rich, corrupt capitalism, a much smaller government, "pull yourself up by your bootstraps", and protest against raising the minimum wage and a universal healthcare system yet be supportive when the government spends trillions on the military or corporate bailouts.

I'll just answer for myself as they are various reasons behind why people hold their beliefs:

The rich have the same responsibilities as everyone else, so I don't see why they should pay more in taxes.

Corruption is indefensible. If you're implying that capitalism is corrupt, what leads you to that conclusion? Its a system that frees people from being under the control of others unfairly. Wealth and influence might not be totally evenly distributed but that can easily be counter acted through cooperation.

Government size is something of secondary importance. What is important is that the government doesn't overstep its boundaries, though that might generally imply making it smaller. I don't want the government to run society, it should limit itself to protecting people. Minimum wage and universal healthcare tie in with this. I don't see how it's fair to demand that people have to support other people. We can fund social programs in other ways that don't amount to theft. So long as a program is run properly it doesn't bother me.

The military is a reasonable function of government, although I'd like people to have more direct control over its funding. Bailouts shouldn't exist, they are the same as min wage and universal healthcare. Businesses aren't owed others' money.

Though red and green are really only indistinguishable for me when the thing, or light source, is only small (LED's on stuff being the most common example, text colour another), the much greater manifestation seems to be with shades of stuff that has a red element to it. I commonly mix up blues and purples, greens and browns, pinks and oranges.

Yes. Though I'm not allowed to fly planes or fire missiles... guess I should be content with 1 out of 3... :(

That actually has me a bit curious on how much it would impede your operation of 2 and 3 since it makes it seem like you could correctly read most screens or indicators on a launch panel or in a cockpit. More modern ones have more color, but the older ones tend to use primarily green or greenish hues and have markings similar to text.

That actually has me a bit curious on how much it would impede your operation of 2 and 3 since it makes it seem like you could correctly read most screens or indicators on a launch panel or in a cockpit. More modern ones have more color, but the older ones tend to use primarily green or greenish hues and have markings similar to text.

These days it might not be so much of an issue. Twenty five+ years ago as an early teenager I enquired at both the RAF and Navy careers office as to whether it would rule out any of the areas I was interested in, and it was pretty much yes across the board.

I think it'a true that most modern traffic lights have a slightly blue tinge to their green light to make it easier for those with red-green colour blindness to tell them apart.

I think it'a true that most modern traffic lights have a slightly blue tinge to their green light to make it easier for those with red-green colour blindness to tell them apart.

IMHO, traffic lights these days output a lot more light than those 20 years ago, that alone makes it easy for people with colour vision problems, but yeah, Green on a modern LED traffic light may as well be blue or white.

The thing with colour deficiency, is it's all about probability. Give the eyes enough light at the right wavelength, and you increase the chance of being seen correctly... for most people, it's not a blanket "I see everything that is colour X as colour Y instead".

@MatskiMonk Okay, here's a dumb question:

What colour is The Dress to you?

220px-The_Dress_%28viral_phenomenon%29.png

@MatskiMonk Okay, here's a dumb question:

What colour is The Dress to you?

220px-The_Dress_%28viral_phenomenon%29.png

I'm accustomed to using photoshop to determine the colour of things... if we average out the dress alone it is #696b75....

edit:

Stolen from a book called "dumb questions"..

... if ignorance is bliss, how come more people aren't happy?

edit 2: The aforementioned book, as evidence...

upload_2020-4-4_22-12-59.png

Last edited:
Whether or not something helps you isn't the only consideration to take when voting. I won't vote for something that helps me if it hurts someone else for example.

I'll just answer for myself as they are various reasons behind why people hold their beliefs:

The rich have the same responsibilities as everyone else, so I don't see why they should pay more in taxes.

Corruption is indefensible. If you're implying that capitalism is corrupt, what leads you to that conclusion? Its a system that frees people from being under the control of others unfairly. Wealth and influence might not be totally evenly distributed but that can easily be counter acted through cooperation.

Government size is something of secondary importance. What is important is that the government doesn't overstep its boundaries, though that might generally imply making it smaller. I don't want the government to run society, it should limit itself to protecting people. Minimum wage and universal healthcare tie in with this. I don't see how it's fair to demand that people have to support other people. We can fund social programs in other ways that don't amount to theft. So long as a program is run properly it doesn't bother me.

The military is a reasonable function of government, although I'd like people to have more direct control over its funding. Bailouts shouldn't exist, they are the same as min wage and universal healthcare. Businesses aren't owed others' money.
That is simply and obviously not true. The rich do not have the same responsibilities as everyone else. I believe that the more money one makes, the more they should contribute to society. And since people are naturally greedy and likely won't voluntarily give up some of their income to fund the military, education, services for the poor/disabled, etc, we have a tax system in place. A flat tax system would leave the lower class paying more than they should and the rich not paying enough. The uber-wealthy in the US pays fewer taxes than the middle-class on average. How is this fair?

Capitalism is not inherently corrupt. With the right amount of regulations and oversight, a capitalist economy can run smoothly with very little corruption. Like Finland for example, it has been called the "capitalist paradise". There is a market economy there, yet poverty is very low, everyone has healthcare access, wages are fair, while there still are many large corporations in Finland that are able to churn out immense profits. Free-market capitalism, however, relies on corruption; the exploitation of the poor so that the capitalists in control can be uber-rich. Capitalism does not free people from being treated unfairly; under free-market capitalism, workers, usually lower-wage ones, are oppressed by the capitalist class in the sense that they barely have enough money to get by (leaving them no buying power) long and inflexible hours, little or no sick/vacation days or paid leave, and if they protested any of this, they'd almost certainly get fired. This is not freedom by any means. That being said, there will always be poorer people in any society and people who own corporations have the right to wealthy, but this does not mean that low-wage workers should be injusticed just so the rich can be rich. Think about all the workers protections we have in first world countries (America included) like no child labor or unsanitary/hazardous conditions, ability to protest/strike, and equal pay laws for women and minorities. The free market didn't do this. Common people protested and progressive politicians listened to them. Don't you think there's a reason why during these times, big corporations would fight hard against these reforms? Because they care about their bottom line far more than the welfare of their employees. There are still many strides that need to be made.

I have Deuteranomaly, which is a green weak form of color deficiency and I have a really hard time seeing green hues unless they are Day-Glo neon green. I often confuse greens with brown, gold, yellow, etc. I also have a problem with "hot pink". Any pink that's super bright I see as gray and it made for some interesting times back in the 90s when everything used it. Lighter pinks I can sort of see, but not very well. Reds are a bit better for me, but I still do have a bit of an issue if they're not like bright, fire engine red.

It's really hard to explain color deficiency/blindness to someone because I can't really tell them what color I see. I typically don't tell people I'm color blind, but when I get a spreadsheet that uses solely red and green, I typically have to ask someone to translate it for me. This often leads to the discussion of "what color does this look like?" It's super irritating.

I think the fascination that people with no known colour blindness have with people who do have varying forms of colour blindness is a genuine curiosity. I wouldn't like to think it is malicious ridicule but I totally understand how frustrating and repetitive it gets. And I have no doubt that some people do go about it in a very patronising way.

The 2002 snooker world champion Peter Ebdon has a form of red deficiency; he often has to ask the referee if a ball is red or brown and once fouled by potting the brown, thinking it was a red.

It's not amazingly dissimilar to people with impared vision. I frequently, but not always, wear glasses and when people with perfect vision try them on and ask "How can you see through these?" (a refraction not tailored to their eyes) or ask "What do you see without them?" it's hard to desceibe but also a really big "What do you want me to say?".

The difference being that with a pair of glasses I know what perfect, or near perfect, vision is. Which leads me to a related dumb question:

If glasses exist for people with vision impairment, why aren't there lenses with special tints or filters for those with colour impairment?

If glasses exist for people with vision impairment, why aren't there lenses with special tints or filters for those with colour impairment?

I guess it's because glasses mostly correct by modifying the total focal experience for people whose eyes wouldn't normally focus well in particular conditions or at different ranges. Colour-blindness is caused by conditions at the retina where the light has already arrived.

Still... what a great idea... an real-time virtual-reality reconstruction of the user space with "unseeable" colours corrected to user-visible hues. We'll be rich.

IMHO, traffic lights these days output a lot more light than those 20 years ago, that alone makes it easy for people with colour vision problems, but yeah, Green on a modern LED traffic light may as well be blue or white.

The thing with colour deficiency, is it's all about probability. Give the eyes enough light at the right wavelength, and you increase the chance of being seen correctly... for most people, it's not a blanket "I see everything that is colour X as colour Y instead".
Another thing that usually happens is the placement of red and green are MOSTLY uniform.

or ask "What do you see without them?" it's hard to describe but also a really big "What do you want me to say?".

I find that an easy one nowadays. I've worn glasses most of my life, and most people understand when I tell them "everything beyond 6 inches from my face is out of focus". Taking a deliberately out-of-focus photo on a phone also helps.

Still... what a great idea... an real-time virtual-reality reconstruction of the user space with "unseeable" colours corrected to user-visible hues. We'll be rich.

It's been done.

I've actually tried the Enchroma glasses recently when I was at the eye institute attached to the hospital I work at. They had a rep there with these goggle looking things you could put over your glasses. I'm not really sure if it made things look the correct color or not, but it made it so I could distinguish between one color and another slightly easier. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I somehow thought I'd see colors I'd never seen before, but then it dawned on me, that's not how cones in your eye work.

So are they cool? Sure, but I wouldn't spend the additional $300-$400 to get them when I get my glasses. I already pay a stupid amount of money since I need high index lenses and I'm not keen on adding more onto that.

Huh, so enchroma glasses do exist. My dumb question got answered, thanks.

Why do conspiracy theories flourish?

Simultaneous inclusivity and exclusivity; being included but excluding others at the same time. People like to feel part of a special group and also "know" something that others do not.

Back