European Events

• Thread starter daan
  • 262 comments
On Sunday, I finally got around to starting the last 1000 Miles! event that I had left, at Cote d'Azur, and I finished it today. This race completes the set of clean-in-principle races, with the Mazda conquering the slower tracks and the Isuzu being reserved for La Sarthe.

1. Mazda 110S (L10A) '67: same settings as at Nurburgring and Opera Paris, total time 3:33'25.046, fastest lap 2'04.410, pitted on laps 1, 14, 27, 39, 51, 63, 75, and 87
2. Lotus Elan S1 '62: + 1.7 laps .......

Nice job Austin343!

I intend to give this a try as well, though my MOV (if any) will not be as impressive!

GTsail290

Well done Austin 👍
Just goes to show the huge differences in abilities. I finished C d'Az with only 45 secs to spare. That's what a quarter lap or so. :nervous:

Best was Sarthe 1m 20secs.

AMG.

Actually, it shows the difference in lineups. Because of my good fortune in being an NTSC player, I was able to use a very even lineup, and just as importantly, a fairly high A-Spec value lineup. The slower the field, the bigger the disparity in performance between your car and the opposition (compare, for instance, the difficulty of a 200-point race without nitrous in Kei cars with that of a 200-point race in LMPs). I recall that you faced a grid with cars like the slow Alfas and the Karmann. And that's not to mention that the 110S is an extremely capable car; the grip is excellent, at least on N3s, and I don't think that the BLRA is hugely better.

1000 miles! at Cote d'Azur - for 200 A-spec points

I just finished a nice race in my Mazda 110S L10A '67 at Cote d'Azur and obtained the full 200 points!

I went against the same lineup as mentioned by Austin343:
Nissan Fairlady 2000 SR311 '68
Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA 1600 '65
Lotus Elan S1 '62
Ginetta G4 '64
Mini Marcos GT '70
and me in the Mazda 110S
Note: this is lineup #34 after the console reset.

My Mazda had the following setup:
Brakes: 6/8
Springs: 7.5/7.5
Ride: 98/98
Bound: 3/3
Rebound: 5/5
Camber: 2.0/1.0
Toe: 0/-1
Stabilizers: 4/4
Auto gear: 2
Aids: 0/0/0
Ballast: 155, to the front at -5
NOS: 35
Tires: N1/N3
Horsepower: 111, with dirty oil

On the first lap I use NOS to catch and pass the Lotus Elan who is still in third place. I then blocked the Lotus for the next 14 laps so I fell back to 5th place with the Lotus in 6th. On lap 14 the Lotus gets by due to my inattention, so instead of chasing and using NOS, I go into the pits for the first time to put on N3/N3 tires. I exit the pits in 6th place, 1 minute and 50 seconds behind the first place Nissan Fairlady.

I now give chase in earnest, and by lap 21, I pass the Mini Marcos for 5th place. The Fairlady pits on lap 21, so once it exits the pits, I see that I am only 1 minute and 12 seconds back!

I pass the Alfa Sprint GTA and the Ginetta G4 on lap 28 and take over third place in the race. The Lotus had been stuck behind the Alfa and the Ginetta, so when I passed them, I could still see the Lotus only a few seconds ahead on the track.

By lap 30 I have caught the Lotus, so I pass it to take second place in the race. I'm now 30 seconds behind the leading Fairlady. I decide to settle in just in front of the Lotus, so I now block the Lotus for the next 10 laps.

My tires are gone by lap 41, so I wake up my pit crew and get them to put some new N3/N3 tires on my Mazda. When I exit the pits, I am 45 seconds behind the Fairlady and around 25 seconds behind the Lotus.

I give chase and by lap 55 I catch and pass the Lotus, and take over second place in the race again. The Lotus is only just behind the Fairlady at this point, so once I complete the pass I am only 3 seconds behind the leading Nissan. I use the hairpin to slide by the Lotus.

Once again I decide to block the Lotus once I get in front. I do this for about 5 laps. However, by lap 60 in the race, I've burned off enough fuel that its now apparent that I can run laps much faster than the Lotus, so blocking is just a waste of time. So I now decide to just drive and see what kind of lead can be built up.

On lap 63 the Nissan Fairlady goes into the pits. When it exits the pits I'm only 15 seconds behind it in second place. Now driving quite fast, I catch and pass the Fairlady on lap 66.

However my tires are gone, so I pit again on lap 67 for new N3 rubber. When I exit the pits I am 22 seconds behind the Fairlady, and still in second place. The Lotus Elan is about 12 seconds behind me in third.

On lap 78, I catch and pass the Nissan Fairlady, and take over the lead of the race for the second time. The Fairlady had been slowed down somewhat because it was just behind the Alfa Sprint GTA.

The Lotus is about 30 seconds behind us in third. I now have a fairly low fuel load, so I just motor away from the Nissan and the Alfa, who are still battling each other in every turn.

I pull out a 38 second lead over the Fairlady by lap 86, when the Fairlady has to make its final pit stop. While the Fairlady takes on fuel and refreshments, the Lotus is able to drive by and take over 2nd place in the race. The time check back to the Lotus is now 51 seconds.

My tires wear out on me, so on lap 89 I enter the pits for one final time. When I exit the pits my lead over the Lotus has been reduced to 36 seconds.

However, I'm on fresh rubber and low fuel weight, so I am able to easily motor away from the Lotus to the finish on lap 99 with a 1 minute and 12 second MOV.

My best lap was a 1.05.544, with some NOS

As you can tell from the write up, I did not have a race stategy before the race. I was sort of playing it by ear, and making decisions on the fly. I think a pit boss would have helped! And my pit schedule was attrocious!! I blocked in the beginning because I was not sure if I could drive fast enough with a heavy fuel load to win the race otherwise. However, by the end, with the low fuel load, the Mazda can easily pull away from the Lotus which is your only competition.

It was a very nice race even if my strategy was badly thought out. The Mazda is nice to drive once you get used to it. I was not able to always keep it under control, so I think I would still blow a corner badly about once a lap.

Respectfully,
GTsail290

Last edited:
Well done, GTsail290. You found a beautifully balanced lineup and had a great adventure beating them. Sounds like that good-looking Mazda needs some tuning. Did it have snap oversteer?

Respectfully, yours,
Dotini

1000 miles! at Cote d'Azur - for 200 A-spec points

Still looking for the best way to win in the 1000 miles I decided to give it a try in my Honda S600 '64

I went against lineup # 1 as follows:
VW Karmann Ghia '68
Fiat 500F '65
Honda S800 '66
Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA 1600 '65
Mini Marcos GT '70

I went to my local Honda dealer and had them install some upgrades on my white Honda S600:
Racing exhaust, Racing chip, Stage 2 NA tune, Port polish, and Engine balancing. This pushed the horsepower on my '64 Honda to 78! WOW!

My pit crew adjusted the suspension as follows:
Brakes: 7/10
Springs: 7.2/7.7
Ride height: 120/120
Bound: 3/4
Rebound: 5/6
Camber: 2.0/1.0
Toe: 0/1
Stabilizers: 3/3
Auto gearing at 1
Aids: 0/0/0
Ltd. Slip: 7/30/5
Ballast at 5, and 5 to the rear

I start the race on N1/N3 tires and chase hard on lap one using NOS. I pit at the end of lap 1 and change to N3/N3 tires. When I exit the pits I'm in 6th place, 28 seconds behind the leading VW Karmann Ghia.

On lap 3, I pass the Fiat for the first time and take over 5th place. I'm now 21 seconds behing the leading VW. On lap 4, I pass the Mini Marcos and take over 4th place in the race. On lap 5, I draft the Honda up the hill and am able to pass it going thru the right turn after the hairpin, so I'm now in third place, 16 seconds behind the leading VW Karmann Ghia.

By lap 9, I'm only 3 seconds back and I get to watch the Alfa Sprint GTA pass the Karmann Ghia at the top of the hill. I follow closely, so I go ahead and pass the Karmann Ghia as well as we go thru the short chute just before the tunnel. I'm now 2 seconds behind the leading Alfa Sprint GTA.

On lap 11, I get a good draft behind the GTA going up the hill, however he pulls away by the top. I chase him hard down the hill and catch him going into the hairpin. I do a better job with these tight turns so I am able to pass him at the hard right just before we start the blast into the tunnel.

On lap 15, I pass the Fiat as we pass the pit entrance, and I have a 6 second lead over the GTA. By lap 25 when I pass the Fiat again as we go by the pit entrance, I have a 11 second lead over the GTA. I pass the Marcos for the first time on lap 29 on the downhill. My lead is 17 seconds but my tires are orange so I head into the pits.

The GTA also pits on lap 29, so when we both exit the pits my lead is still about 17 seconds. On lap 33, I pass the Honda going thru the short chute just before the tunnel. On lap 34, I pass the Marcos going past the pit entrance. I have now built up a 26 second lead over the GTA since its been going slowly on cold tires.

I pass the Fiat again on lap 39. On lap 45, I pass the Ghia because it decides to pit. My lead has ballooned to 1 minute and 2 seconds because the GTA has been stuck behind both the Marcos and the Honda for four laps.

On lap 49, I pass the Fiat again going thru the short chute just before the tunnel. My lead has grown to 1 minute and 15 seconds. On lap 55, I pass the Honda again going thru the short chute just before the tunnel.

I pit for a second time on lap 56 because my tires are orange. The Honda drives by while I'm in the pits. On lap 58, I re-pass the Honda as we go by the pit entrance.

The Sprint GTA pits on lap 58 (I'm on lap 59). When it exits the pits I have a lead of 1 minute and 30 seconds. On lap 63, I pass the Fiat again as we enter the tunnel.

On lap 72, I pass the Karmann Ghia in the tunnel. I also pass the Fiat on the straight after the chicane. My lead over the GTA is now 1 minute and 52 seconds.

On lap 81, I pass the Honda in the tunnel. On lap 84, I pass the Fiat again just after the hairpin. My tires are going orange again, so on lap 84 I decide to pit for the final time, plus I want to pass the Fiat again since it drives by while I'm in the pits.

It only takes one lap to catch the Fiat, so I pass it as we both cross the start/finish line as I start lap 86.

While I'm on lap 87, the GTA pits. When it exits the pits I see that my lead has grown to 2 minutes. This means that the Sprint GTA is only about 12 seconds ahead of me. Relishing the catch, I push hard for the rest of the lap.

I first catch a glimpse of my prey as it exits the tunnel (as I enter it) on lap 88. By lap 91, I'm directly on the back bumper of the GTA as we go up the hill. The GTA pulls away slightly by the top, but the end is near. I catch back up on the downhill, so I fill his mirrors thru the hairpin!

I cut tightly inside the Sprint GTA going thru the short chute just before the tunnel and put the GTA one lap down!

On lap 95, I catch the Fiat again in the tunnel and put it another lap down. On lap 97, I pass the Marcos again since it turns right just in front of me and enters the pits.

As I begin the final lap, I can see that I have a 20 second lead over the Sprint GTA (plus one lap) so I just cruise to victory, which comes after 3hrs40min55.604sec. My fastest non-NOS lap was a smoking 2.11.035 with a low fuel load during my last stint.

The Honda is quite a nice handling car!

The Honda's only drawback is that it has little horsepower or torque, so you spend all the time reving the 5 speed up to the redline, and at the redline, the engine is turning 10000rpm and making a god-awful whine!

My race was not entirely clean since as Austin343 has noted, its hard to pass the AI sometimes without some transfer of paint. However, no wall-riding or blocking was used. And I only used half my NOS since it was not needed once I caught the Sprint GTA on lap 11.

Respectfully,
GTsail290

Last edited:
British GT Car Cup - 200pts All Races
Car: Jensen Intercepter MKIII '74
Mods: All non power mods, RC Exhaust, Chip, S3/S3, NOS, Aids @ 0, 0, 1 - 417BHP Total
Lineup: #1

Had no problems at all with this setup, car is not great but still beats the opposition quite easily.

##########################

British Lightweight Series - 200pts All Races
Car: MINI ONE
Mods: All non power mods, RC Exhaust, Chip, S3/S3, NOS @ 80, Aids @ 0, 0, 1, Stage 3 Weight Reduction (Required to enter event), Ballast @ 5 - 99BHP Total
Lineup: 1 & 2 NTSC (For lineup 2 use same setup as above but set ballast to 10)

Quite easy, Apricot Hill can be tricky as it seems to be one of the few races the Ginetta does not spin off, if using lineup 2 it can be a handful.

La Festa Italiano - 200pts All Races
Car: Fiat Punto HGT Abarth '00
Mods: All non power mods, NA2, S3/S3, NOS @ 80, Aids @ 0, 0, 1 - 180BHP Total
Lineup: #1 NTSC

In the end very easy, might not have been if the AI were anything over super dumb in all the races, all the contenders seemed to go into the sand or bash a wall at some point.:)

Pan Euro Championship - 200pts All Races
Car: BMW 320i Touring Car '03
Mods: All non power mods, S3/S3, NOS, Aids @ 0, 0, 1
Lineup: #2 NTSC

Opera, Grand Valley & Cote d' Azur were all easily taken for max points, Le Sarthe required some corner cutting as the TVR Griffith & the Jag XJ220 provided some serious competition, same situation at the Nurburgring although it did not require any corner cutting but only just won from the Jag.

Schwarzwald League A - 200pts All Races
Car: VW Golf I GTI '76
Mods: All non power mods, RC Exhaust, Chip, NA1, S2/S3, NOS @ 80, Auto Tranny @ 8, Aids @ 0, 0, 1 - 140BHP Total
Lineup: #1, 2 & 3 NTSC

Easy, rubbish car IMO but easy wins.

Euro Hot Hatch Championship - 200pts All Races
Car: Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 Twinspark '02
Mods: All non power mods, S3/S3, NOS @ 75, Aids @ 0, 0, 1, Ballast @ 30 - 150BHP Total

Again, very easy races, Car handles very well and in spite of my hatred of FF cars I really rather liked this one. Just use NOS to get in the lead and you shouldn't really need it after that.

Schwarzwald League B - 200pts All Races
Car: RUF 3400S '00
Mods: All non power mods, S1/S2, NOS, Aids @ 0, 0, 1, Ballast @ 200 - 310BHP Total
Lineup: #2 NTSC

Was a bit dubious entering into this race as every RUF I have ever used in GT4 has been crap, however this one appears to be the exception to the rule. Very quick car and has superb handling even with low range Sports tyres. Left NOS @ 40 for the Nurburgring, took me about 2 minutes to catch the lead car then just blocked and used NOS for the rest of the race to preserve my lead, was easy. For the other races I changed NOS to 55 to be able to catch the lead car quicker as the races were shorter.

Last edited:
Wow Nemesis, did you find a NOS button on your PS2? You've been racing a lot these days. :)

AMG.

Yep, been going through the regular events trying to find new and interesting setup's for maximum points. On my PAL game I just mostly used other people's setup's but it's far more interesting to use your own if possible.:)

Pan Euro at NR

used BMW M3 GTR with 389 hp, S2´s, 200 ballast and wing 0/10 for more stability (looks terrible on the BMW), aids 0/0/2, no qualifying,
against PAL-lineup 25

BMW M3 CSL
Lotus Motor Sport Elise
Cizeta
Audi A6
BMW M5

This is a nice even lineup with the Elise bringing up the points. The Elise is so fast, but almost useless at NR due its tendency to spin out, especially in the second lap on worn tires. The main competition is the BMW M3 CSL. Nice race with a lot of trading places going on. MOV 4 seconds.

I am using Dotini´s setup 7376 at GTVault. The lineup Dotini is mentioning is the same as the one used by Uncle Harry in the PAL version (#6). I´m using PAL too and wanted to complete the race at NR for 200 with that lineup. Problem is, that in my grid #6 the 5th place starting Elan is replaced by a Karman Ghia and is offering only 161 points. I won the race and was looking further down for that lineup, without success.

European Classics at NR

The mentioned lineup #6 doesn´t exist in my PAL version. To avoid endless searching for it I decided to try lineup #6 in my PAL version, where the Elan is replaced by the Karmann Ghia:

Alfa Gulia Sprint
Ginetta
Alfa Duetto
Mini Marcos
Karmann Ghia
Karmann Ghia (me)

Basically I used Dotini´s suspension settings, but had to compete with much less power, because of the missing Elan. I used S1/S3, 52 hp, 120 ballast, Nos @70, tranny trick final 4.050, adjusted 6th gear to .790 for more top speed. I also tried N3´s with more hp, but decided against it, because the car is so much more controlable with S tires.

I didn´t qualify and had to try some times. The main competition is the Alfa Gulia and, yes, the Ginetta. If you are not in front at Bergwerk, restart. You will not catch anybody in the uphill section and are too far behind after it. If you are in the lead at Bergwerk you will have to block the Alfa Gulia and the Ginetta. Try to block as long as possible, which is difficult at times, when 2 or 3 cars try to pass you. If the Alfa gets by, forget it. If the Ginetta gets by you will have the chance to pass him if it spins somewhere. Conserve some Nos for the final long straight, you will need it with just 52 hp :). Fun and intense racing after all, MOV 2 sec

1000 miles! at Opera Paris - for 200 A-spec points

Last night, wanting to wind down from watching the Rolex 24 hour race at Daytona, I took my trusty Honda S600 '64 (which now has clocked 52,273 miles) to Opera Paris and had some fun against lineup #1. My Honda has 78 horsepower, and ballast of 4kg (moved to the rear). The suspension setup is similar to what I used at Cote d'Azur above, but was changed slightly since I found that the Honda exhibited too much oversteer at Opera Paris, so I tuned some of it out.

If you can over-look the whine from the Honda's engine, the race is quite easy. I start on N1/N3 tires and pit at the end of lap one for a set of N3/N3 tires. It takes me twelve laps to go from last to first place, once I put on the N3 tires. On lap thirteen I pass first the Alfa Sprint GTA, who is closely following the VW Karmann Ghia, and then the Karman Ghia to take first place in the race.

By the end of the race the Fiat 500F is 10 laps down
The Mini Marcos is 4 laps down
The Honda S800 is 3 laps down
The VW Karman is 2 laps down
The Alfa Sprint GTA is 1 lap and 55 seconds down.

I actually pass the Fiat 500F 12 times, once on lap one before I pit, and then on lap 3 to take 5th place in the race, and then ten more times as I circulate during the race.

I pit for tires on laps 1,28,54, and 80. The tires are only yellow each time, but the handling is starting to go away. The Honda is a bit of a handful on the first lap after a tire change, but after that it does very well with my revised setup. No fuel is added during the race since the Honda gets great gas mileage! Race time was 2.56.58.477, best lap was a 1.48.884

Respectfully,
GTsail290

Last edited:
1000 miles! at Opera Paris - for 200 A-spec points

Last night, wanting to wind down from watching the Rolex 24 hour race at Daytona, I took my trusty Honda S600 '64 (which now has clocked 52,273 miles) to Opera Paris and had some fun against lineup #1. My Honda has 78 horsepower, and ballast of 4kg (moved to the rear). The suspension setup is similar to what I used at Cote d'Azur above, but was changed slightly since I found that the Honda exhibited too much oversteer at Opera Paris, so I tuned some of it out.

If you can over-look the whine from the Honda's engine, the race is quite easy. I start on N1/N3 tires and pit at the end of lap one for a set of N3/N3 tires. It takes me twelve laps to go from last to first place, once I put on the N3 tires. On lap thirteen I pass first the Alfa Sprint GTA, who is closely following the VW Karmann Ghia, and then the Karman Ghia to take first place in the race.

By the end of the race the Fiat 500F is 10 laps down
The Mini Marcos is 4 laps down
The Honda S800 is 3 laps down
The VW Karman is 2 laps down
The Alfa Sprint GTA is 1 lap and 55 seconds down.

I actually pass the Fiat 500F 12 times, once on lap one before I pit, and then on lap 3 to take 5th place in the race, and then ten more times as I circulate during the race.

I pit for tires on laps 1,28,54, and 80. The tires are only yellow each time, but the handling is starting to go away. The Honda is a bit of a handful on the first lap after a tire change, but after that it does very well with my revised setup. No fuel is added during the race since the Honda gets great gas mileage! Race time was 2.56.58.477, best lap was a 1.48.884

Respectfully,
GTsail290

Good going, on my previous game on PAL I didn't go for any 200 pt races at the 1000 miles, however I am inspired to try with a previously unmentioned car for Opera at least, will report back with any updates.

Edit - Race Complete, details:

1000 Miles! Opera Paris 200pts
Car: Mazda Carol 360 Deluxe '62 (Used)
Mods: All non power mods, RC Exhaust, Chip, S1/S1, T1, NOS @ 75, Aids @ 0, 0, 1, Auto Tranny @ 7, Port Polish, Engine Balancing, Old Oil, Ballast @ 15 - 49BHP Total

Wow, my first 200 point race in this event using the superior Mazda Carol, and it was very easy. Granted it would probably not win on the ring or le sarthe but it won here and might even win at cote d azur, anyway race report, i'm not very good at this kind of thing so i'll just detail pertinent events:

Lap 1 - Into 1st place near end of lap using NOS
Lap 5 - 8.3 sec lead over the ghia 2 units of NOS used
Lap 10 - 12.1 sec lead over the ghia now, 2 units of NOS used
Lap 12 - Alfa moves into 2nd place from the ghia
Lap 15 - 11.6 sec lead over the alfa, 2 units NOS used
Lap 17- ghia pits in
Lap 20 - 9.9 sec lead over the alfa
Lap 25 - alfa pits after being held up by the marcos, exits pits 39 secs behind
Lap 30 - alfa really struggling being held up by stragglers, my lead is now 50.8 secs, and I have still not pitted :)
Lap 35 - no change
Lap 41 - finally my front right tyre is starting to go red, have to pit in but could probably have gone another 3-4 laps no bother, so far only 2 units of fuel used & half my NOS is gone, lead cut down to 26 secs from the alfa
Lap 45 - alfa takes advantage of my cold tyres and closes gap to to 20.8 secs
Lap 48 - lap the ghia :)
Lap 50 - alfa pits again, exits 45 secs behind
Lap 55 - again the alfa is held up and lead increases to 55 secs
Lap 62 - alfa slips further still, now 59 secs behind
Lap 67 - now 1+ minute in the lead
Lap 73 - race is long since over, alfa pits again and exits 1'27.1 behind
Lap 80 - alfa 1'37 behind, i pit lap 80, didn't need to but was getting bored to switched to S3/S3 and went on a quest to beat my best lap time, only used 3 units of fuel to this point, 2 units of NOS left
Lap 85 - lap ghia again :) get best lap time of 1'43.287 using NOS :) 1'18.1 ahead of alfa
Lap 90 - alfa now 1'28.2 behind
Race over - alfa finishes about 1'30 secs behind, i finish with a total time of 2:57'48.230

Also, note I only pitted twice and if i had ran the race on N tyres might have only needed 1 stop.:) Finished with still 6 units of fuel left in the tank.:) Could have done better in this race aswell, didn't set the transmission up correctly as it never maxed out it's top speed, should have lowered auto tranny to 5 or something I think.

Amazing little car.

Last edited:
1000 Miles! Opera Paris 200pts
Car: Mazda Carol 360 Deluxe '62 (Used)
Mods: All non power mods, RC Exhaust, Chip, S1/S1, T1, NOS @ 75, Aids @ 0, 0, 1, Auto Tranny @ 7, Port Polish, Engine Balancing, Old Oil, Ballast @ 15 - 49BHP Total
Lineup: #1 NTSC.....

Very nice Nemesis01:tup:

nemesis01
.... Could have done better in this race aswell, didn't set the transmission up correctly as it never maxed out it's top speed, should have lowered auto tranny to 5 or something I think....

Are you sure you could handle additional speed in the Deluxe Carol? What were you hitting on the straight? 85mph?

Great job!

Respectfully,
GTsail290

European Classic Car League - 1000 points
Car:
VW Beetle 1100 Standard
Soundtrack: Joy Division
Lineup: NTSC/NA & PAL #6
Opponents:
Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale
Lotus Elan S1
Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA
Ginetta G4
Alfa Romeo Spider Duetto

Setup: Taken almost entirely from AMG's post for Nurburgring (#33). NB: where AMG says final drive to 5, I think he means to 5.5. The ratio for 5th he suggests is not possible when only moving the final to 5.0.
-63HP, N2/N3, FCT, TPC, RF, NA3, SRE, FCS, 96 ballast, ASM/TCS@0
-AMG's suspension settings (stock FC settings w/ bound F/R @ 5)
-tranny trick w/FD@3.195 for 115 MPH top speed (downhill!)
-brake balance F/R @ 4/3
-ballast balance @ -50

Nurburgring: qualified 1st easily even w/200 point setup. MOV 11.7s. Me, Elan, GTA, GSS. Strategic NOS usage, nearly a full bottle's worth.

Fuji Speedway 80's: Standing start, used NOS all the way to first corner. Then as necessary. Not sure how much I used, but it was at least half a bottle. With practice could get by with a lot less. MOV 1.4s. Me, Elan, GTA, Ginetta.

Opera Paris Reverse: Qualified first easily w/200 point setup. Didn't use NOS in race or qually. MOV 5.2s. Me, GTA, Elan, Ginetta.

Suzuka Circuit: Standing start, NOS all the way to turn one, and 2 other times. MOV 0.2s. Me, Elan, GTA, GSS

Deep Forest Raceway Reverse: Qualified w/NOS. Started with NOS, used it going up the hills after the first 1/2 lap. MOV 3s. Me, Ginetta, ?, ?.

Big thanks to AMG! I kept putting this one off thinking it would be a major pain to find a lineup, turns out PAL lineup 6 is the same on NTSC/NA too, and all these races are do-able with the Beetle. 👍

edit:
final A-Spec total, 106320 points
Completion, around 97.something%
GT4 DVD: FINISHED!

That's the second GT4 disc I've exterminated in such a fashion. The first time I regretted my actions, I was just spazzing over the DS2 being a totally insufficient controler for GT4. This time I'd just finally had enough of putting up with GT4's unending annoyances and glaring flaws and bugs. I have never been more disappointed by a video game than I am with GT4 (largely because I was such a huge fan of the series). One can only yearn for an unfulfillable fantasy (that is, GT4 having a major bug-fix re-release, or a TOTAL PIPE-DREAM: a PC port) so many times before it makes you completely loony. I'm already pretty loony so this is the end of the GT4-road for me.

I have thoroughly appreciated the efforts of everyone in this forum who has posted what they've been able to glean for the benefit of us all. I hope some of my posts will be as helpful to others as all of yours were to me. Attached is my ODF spreadsheet covering my 106320 points (in a zip because ODS is not an allowed attachment format), complete with whinging comments. Hopefully it will of be of use to someone. It hardly ever covers supsension setups, but generally has lineup, horsepower and final drive info.

Happy gaming everyone!

Attachments

• a-spec.points-arial.ods.zip
    52 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
I completed the Nurburgring race in 1000 Miles! more successfully than I anticipated.

1. Mazda 110S (L10A) '67: Low mileage (prize car, not used car), N1 tires (switch to N3 on lap 1), 155 ballast at -15, fully customizable transmission (autoset 7), triple plate clutch, racing flywheel.

1. Just finished this race myself against lineup #34, was very easy indeed. Fastest lap of 9'11.211 and averaging laps of around 9'15 I would say. Have to say the 110S is a brilliant car, apart from the oversteer problem but that was easily contained. I pitted on lap 1 but was gonna stay on N1 tires as the car was handling so well, but took the cowards way out and changed to N3. I got 4 laps out of the N3 tires which saved me 1 pit stop.

Finished about 20 seconds shy of 3mins in front, lapped the marcos which was a target I was aiming for. Had a couple of minor off's which didn't cost much time, more annoying than anything. I was writing a full race report but the race got quite dull after around lap 13 as I knew I was going to win and there were no other car's anywhere near me so, decided not to finish the report as it was pointless.

Now, am hoping I can conquer some of the other 1000mile events with this setup.👍
    ######################################################

Edit - Am now pleased to report I have finished the 1000miles events for maximum points, has taken 4 different cars and some good cases of playstation thumb but it is now clear.

After the Nurburgring was conquered using Austin343's setup with the Mazda 110S setup, I today completed Cote d Azur using the Honda S6000 and setup provided by GTsail290, very easy. Then the last one I had avoided, Le Sarthe II, using a setup by Fizio that features the BLRA up against lineup #1. Despite never even trying this race before, managed it on the 1st attempt. Had a tough start, was constantly blocking the alfa and the marcos for 9 laps until the marcos just faded away for some reason. Another 8 laps of the alfa right on my tail, just before the ford chicane on lap 17 the alfa drifted out wide trying to get past and caught some sand, lost 3-4 seconds. In exactly the same place on lap 21 just before we were both due to pit, more good luck. Again the alfa drifted wide, caught more sand but this time it was more costly as he completely spun and lost 15-20 seconds.:) Easy from then on, switched to N3/N3 for the remaining 14 laps and topped up fuel to 40 and never saw the alfa again. Crossed the line with a 15 sec mov, total time of 3'13.49.450 and a best lap of 5'25.358.

Last edited:
La Festa Italiano- all races

Car: '72 Fiat 500R equipped with the following parts:

new oil
stage 2 turbo
semi racing exhaust
racing chip
port polish
engine displacement
displacement up (why you can do this on a 2 cylinder, but not a V8 makes no sense at all)
racing brakes
brake balance controller set to 6/6
all drivetrain upgrades with transmission @ autoset 11
nitrous @ 100

The setup should show 89 hp on the sell screen. While this may seem like a lost cause, the little Fiat that could does a complete sweep of this lucrative series with surprising ease against most lineups. 👍 The only tips I have are conserve the nitrous slightly at Cote D' Azur and avoid the Lancia Delta when it starts on pole.

La Festa Italiano- all races

Car: '72 Fiat 500R equipped with the following parts:

new oil
stage 2 turbo
semi racing exhaust
racing chip
port polish
engine displacement
displacement up (why you can do this on a 2 cylinder, but not a V8 makes no sense at all)
racing brakes
brake balance controller set to 6/6
all drivetrain upgrades with transmission @ autoset 11
nitrous @ 100

The setup should show 89 hp on the sell screen. While this may seem like a lost cause, the little Fiat that could does a complete sweep of this lucrative series with surprising ease against most lineups. 👍 The only tips I have are conserve the nitrous slightly at Cote D' Azur and avoid the Lancia Delta when it starts on pole.

A lovely setup for one of the game's classic series. Did you run S2/S2 tires?

Respectfully,
Dotini

Only checked the first page and the last two, so maybe someone posted this before...

British Lightweight for 600 Pts:

Get a used 97 MGF (araound 60.000Km). The car weighs in at about 1100 Kg so you need Stage 2 weight reduction to be able to race this series.

Triple clutch, 1.5 LSD and racing flywheel,
NOS @ 70,
N2 front, N3 rear,
max ballast, all to the front.

Autumn Ring was rather easy, the other two races took me about 5 tries each. 👍

Are you sure about you're weight statistics? I'm guessing you are since you probably wouldn't have posted unless you'd actually raced the series, but my used MGF won't go below 1000kg even after stage 3 weight reduction, so I will have to look for another option for these races.

It's just as well I did the MGF Festival OMR before the weight reduction lol ;)

Hello everyone.
I've been racing GT since PSX days. I'm attempting to reach 100K points before GT5 comes out.
I've been having troubles getting the lineup for the Europe Classic Car:
Lotus Elan S1
Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA
Ginetta G4
Alfa Romeo Spider Duetto

I've never been here on GTplanet forums and seems overwhelming with lots of info.
I've completed all the events above Europe Classic Car with 200 pts each race and I'm wondering which advice should I listen to.
I was following Jdwilli1's guide to 200 pts but it is certainly buggy, for example:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Europe Classic Car [ib] (up to 1970) Championship (30,000/10,000)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|NN |F| 1|VW Karmann Ghia [60](HUp,NA1,RM,RC,B60,N100,T7,NDA |VH 5.7,15.1|200p

| 9'41.0 |Alfa GTA, Elan S1 (Alfa Speciale,Ginetta G4,Alfa Duetto)

|NN |F| 1|VW Karmann Ghia [60](HUp,NA1,RM,RC,B60,N100,T7,NDA |VH 1.5, 2.7|200p

| 9'47.2 |Ginetta G4, Alfa GTA (Elan S1,Alfa Speciale,Alfa Duetto)

|F80 |F| 2|VW Karmann Ghia [60](HUp,NA1,RM,RC,B60,N100,T7,NDA |E 9.1, 9.9|200p

| 1'45.1 |Elan S1,Ginetta G4 (Alfa GTA,Alfa Speciale,Alfa Duetto)

|OP |F| 2|VW Karmann Ghia [60](HUp,NA1,RM,RC,B60,N100,T7,NDA |M 4.3,10.6|200p

| 1'45.8 |Elan S1, Alfa GTA (Ginetta G4,Alfa Speciale,Alfa Duetto)

|SZ |F| 1|VW Karmann Ghia [60](HUp,NA1,RM,RC,B60,N100,T7,NDA |E 4.9,17.9|200p

| 2'46.7 |Elan S1, Alfa Duetto (Alfa GTA,Alfa Speciale,Ginetta G4)

|DF |R| 2|VW Karmann Ghia [60](HUp,NA1,RM,RC,B60,N100,T7,NDA |E 11.6,14.9|200p

| 1'39.1 |Elan S1,Ginetta G4 (Alfa GTA,Alfa Speciale,Alfa Duetto)

| BEWARE: the AC 427, the Jag E-type and the Merc Gullwing

| Recommended (Mid): Elan S1

| VERY dependent on the lineup you choose

| VS (STOCK/SH): AC Cars 427 S/C '66[478], Jaguar E-Type Coupe '61[265],

| Mercedes 300 SL Coupe '54[212], Alfa Sprint GTA 1600 '65[113],

| Alfa Sprint Speciale '63[112], Alfa Spider Duetto '66[108],

| Lotus Elan S1 '62[104] Ginetta G4 '64[90], Mini Marcos '70[75],

| VW Karmann Ghia '68[43], Fiat 500L '69[17], Fiat 500F '65[17]

| FIRST Lineup: Alfa GTA, Fiat 500F, Alfa Speciale, Elan S1, Karmann Ghia

But the lineup there never shows up, the closest one I got was without the Ginetta I think and with a Karmann Guia instead.

Welcome XtC10. Check out post #2 in the threads. Euro classics can be a challenge as your car of choice will also dictate lineups. lots of patience is needed to find a lineup that will work for you.

AMG.

AMG: I've been trying to get the lineup you used in Euro classics but always a car is missing (after exiting like for one hour)! Should I race in other place and then come back until that lineup is there?

Welcome to the hunt XtC10!

I have used the VW Karmann Ghia Coupe '68 and won 200 points against both of the following lineups:

Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale '63
Lotus Elan S1 '62
Alfa Romeo Sprint GTA '65
Ginetta G4
Alfa Romeo Spider Duetto '66

or

Alfa Romeo Sprint GTA '65
Ginetta G4
Mini Marcos GT
VW Karmann Ghia Coupe

Either lineup will work with some adjustments to the horsepower and ballast, and of course, some AI blocking once the race is underway. My notes say that my Karmann Ghia had 72HP on N2/N3 tires and ballast of 70kg against the first lineup. My notes seem to vary when I ran against the second lineup, so I can't give you them specifically, but I had to de-tune the car a bit more since the lineup is not as strong. I hope this helps.

Like AMG says, both require some lineup searching. This is one of the tough features of the European Classic Car Series.

Make sure you reset your console again, and start over. It should not take an hour to get to these lineups, though I do not remember how far in they are.

Respectfully,
GTsail

Hello Gtsail290

I skipped for the moment Euro Classic and moved to Euro Hot Hatch. I have almost 60K A-spec points at the moment with a game progression of 84.8%

Did you do the 1,000 miles and the Euro Classic as a Championship? or did you do those races individually without qualifying and having to painfully get the desired grid?

*snip*
Did you do the 1,000 miles and the Euro Classic as a Championship? or did you do those races individually without qualifying and having to painfully get the desired grid?

I found it best to run the Euro Classic as a Championship. Being able to qualify before the race has its advantages, and once you find the lineup you want, its best not to lose it!

When taking on the 1000 miles! however, most of my 200 point wins were single races (check out my descriptions earlier in this thread). La Sarthe is so much different than Cote d'Azur or Opera Paris that different cars are easier. Of course I also ran the entire race series as a Championship, but with a car that could win easily (receiving less than 200 pts of course).

Good luck,
GTsail

Last edited:
Thoughts on the Pan-Euro
In GTP member polls, the Pan-Euro has been among the very highest rated series. To me, it's not hard to see why. Number one, the racing is done on the choicest classic circuits in Europe: the Nurburgring, Monte Carlo and La Sarthe. And there is the invigorating Opera Paris and majestic, sweeping Grand Valley. Secondly, the cars are the finest available in Europe, and running on the attractive Sports tires rather than the unnaturally grippy racing tires or the bothersome N tires. Finally, it is one of the more lucrative series in the game, offering a total of Cr.423,749 in various prizes for about an hour of your driving time.

However, one of the more annoying problems of the Pan-Euro is the complex variability of lineups, depending on your choice of car and perhaps other factors. Another annoying problem for us A-spec hunters is the problem of the Mercedes SLR McLaren or Jaguar XJ220 in high A-spec lineups. These guys are hard to beat, particularly at La Sarthe and without the use of NOS or dodgy driving techniques, which we really would prefer to avoid if at all possible.

Accordingly, I sought an easy-to-find lineup which could be accessed by any car, and conceivably beaten for 200 A-spec without nitrous or shortcuts, and without having to be the greatest driver in the game to do it.

I've made some progress, I think!
After a console reset, I took my silver BMW M3 CSL to the BMW Club "M", and briefly Previewed the Nurburgring event. I then went over to the Pan-Euro, and at the 2nd lineup found these guys:

Mercedes SL65 AMG '04
Cizeta V16 '94
TVR Tuscan Speed 6
Pagani Zonda C12 '00
TVR Griffith 500 '94

This lineup is worth 200 A-spec points with my worn CSL at 420 hp, S2 tires and 190 ballast. It is very difficult to find a lineup for this much A-spec which does not also include the XJ220 or SLR McLaren, which are generally faster than any of the cars in the lineup above. Be warned that the Tuscan is the one to worry about, and if he breaks away from the pack, can be trouble. Usually, I've found the cars stay packed together and the Tuscan doesn't break free until near the end.

So if you want to do the Pan-Euro in your Lotus or Clio or other favorite, give this lineup a try. Do it by repeating the process as described above, but then switching to your favorite car immediately after exiting the first Pan-Euro lineup with the CSL.

Best wishes,
Dotini

Pan Euro Championship- all races

Car: '62 Lotus Elan S1 :eek: equipped with the following parts:

S2 tires
stage 2 turbo
port polish
sports chip
racing muffler
racing suspension
racing transmission (autoset between 6-13)
triple plate clutch
racing flywheel
carbon driveshaft
1.5 way LSD
nitrous @ 55

The Elan should show 177 hp on the settings screen with just stage 2 turbo and port polish and 193 hp with all parts equipped, making this the first car under 200 hp to do a complete sweep of this series. 👍 Even though your opponents have as much as a 339 hp advantage over you, you're driving one of the best handling cars in the game and can beat the AI easily at 4 of the 5 circuits. :sly: However, one circuit is extremely difficult to win at, but it can be done. I competed against NTSC/USA lineup #2 (XJ220, Zonda C12, Motorsport Elise, Tuscan Speed 6, DB9 Coupe), although I'm fairly sure a much weaker lineup will still give 200 points. Qualifying is required for all races except Nurburgring.

Individual Race Setups

Opera Paris- autoset 6, 177 hp, no nitrous required, MOV over 30 seconds
Grand Valley- autoset 10, 177 hp, no nitrous required, MOV 2.6 seconds
Le Sarthe- autoset 13, 193 hp, nitrous set to 55, heavy blocking and nitrous management crucial, shortcuts optional, MOV 0.6 seconds
Cote D' Azur- same setup as Opera Paris, MOV over 12 seconds
Nurburgring- same setup as Grand Valley, MOV 2.6 seconds

Back