Fanatec Gran Turismo DD Extreme Wheel

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 758 comments
And don't you worry about Fanatec.
The Endor AG behind them is financially in good shape.
Just some Restructuring behind the Scenes.
Nothing that doesn't happen on a daily basis in many other big companies.
Their bank(s) forced them to fire their CEO and appoint a chief restructuring officer. They are in deep trouble and could be sold or go bankrupt in a matter of days.

For me this looks like "things are going back to normal" (pre corona times) with some growth at the end 2019/q1 2020 (sonys ps5 announcement and probably a gt release? :D)
To me it looks like a company that squandered away a great opportunity.

Hello and welcome,
I suggest you should just wait for your order.
Everything is fine with Fanatec and once you get your order delivered you will be a happy Man.
Of course you can always jump off and get yourself a Logitech or Thrust master Wheel.
Or you can wait until Moza, Simucube or Asetek come up with their Stuff.
The Sim Racing Market is currently a Battlefield where a lot of Money is to be made, thanks to GranTurismo.
It's all about Licensing you know.

My opinion and advice is still, go with Fanatec as their Products are very well engineered Stuff.
Especially the Fanatec DD + / Extreme is definitely Future proof once FullForce is implemented.
It's all about the Money 😉
Ok I will wait for my wheel, already bought the WheelStand 2.0 and can´t wait to drive the first rounds with the DD+ since it will be my first direct drive wheel. :) And maybe some of the hardware problems and not supported games you mentioned are getting better with the next firmware updates. Would be nice to play some older games too on the PS5.
Grüße aus dem Saarland !

Ok I will wait for my wheel, already bought the WheelStand 2.0 and can´t wait to drive the first rounds with the DD+ since it will be my first direct drive wheel. :) And maybe some of the hardware problems and not supported games you mentioned are getting better with the next firmware updates. Would be nice to play some older games too on the PS5.
Grüße aus dem Saarland !
Games that aren't supported have nothing to do with the firmware. It's strictly up to the game developers to ensure compatibility.

Maurice posted:
"Compatibility with specific games is NEVER an issue of the firmware. It is ALWAYS up to the respective game to add proper support."

Last edited:
For me this looks like "things are going back to normal" (pre corona times) with some growth at the end 2019/q1 2020 (sonys ps5 announcement and probably a gt release? :D)
I was thinking same thing actually.. "covid bump" leveling out. It looks like that, bit I'm sure it's not that simple. I really don't think that the company will fold or anything like that though. Things couldn't go on the way they were so this shake-up is probably going to be good for customers in the long run. 🤞 Let's hope anyways.

Their bank(s) forced them to fire their CEO and appoint a chief restructuring officer. They are in deep trouble and could be sold or go bankrupt in a matter of days.
Fanatec is not the first Company and definitely won't be the last going through some rough times.
A well established Brand just doesn't dissappear.

Games that aren't supported have nothing to do with the firmware. It's strictly up to the game developers to ensure compatibility.

Maurice posted:
"Compatibility with specific games is NEVER an issue of the firmware. It is ALWAYS up to the respective game to add proper support."

That's exactly what he replied to me 😅

Hello and welcome,
I suggest you should just wait for your order.
Everything is fine with Fanatec and once you get your order delivered you will be a happy Man.
Of course you can always jump off and get yourself a Logitech or Thrust master Wheel.
Or you can wait until Moza, Simucube or Asetek come up with their Stuff.
The Sim Racing Market is currently a Battlefield where a lot of Money is to be made, thanks to GranTurismo.
It's all about Licensing you know.

My opinion and advice is still, go with Fanatec as their Products are very well engineered Stuff.
Especially the Fanatec DD + / Extreme is definitely Future proof once FullForce is implemented.
It's all about the Money 😉
Dude, the CEO literally had to fire himself or they would have been forced to declare bankruptcy. Not being able to pay their loans is the opposite of "financially in good shape".

The financers demanding restructuring is not "bankruptcy any day now". It's almost the opposite. Financers would be the first to know if such a thing was about to happen, and as such, would have no reason to push for restructuring.

Fanatec is not the first Company and definitely won't be the last going through some rough times.

Ha ha. Nice to connect a username to another username.

Well established brands most certainly do disappear? That's an insanely common thing to happen.
Regular people don't tend to know the internal happenings of a company so everything can seem fine from the outside until it all publicly implodes. Has happened a million times, and it doesn't look dissimilar to Fanatec right now.

Maurice posted:
Maurice has a bad habit of speaking in absolutes. While being wrong. Here's his answer from March 6 on Fanatec's forum to a customer disappointed with his $400 "Xbox compatible" wheel rim still not being fully supported (basically, half of the rim's features don't work on Xbox):
Maurice
Forza has implemented the Fanatec Xbox SDK already and it's only up to the firmware now to support this SDK and once tested to get merged from Dev into Main release branch.

Like Kodak, Blockbuster and Polaroid?

The financers demanding restructuring is not "bankruptcy any day now". It's almost the opposite. Financers would be the first to know if such a thing was about to happen, and as such, would have no reason to push for restructuring.
From my understanding, if the CRO believes declaring bankruptcy will recoup more of the creditors money (perhaps Fanatec's countless sponsorship agreements are deemed too expensive to continue, or even withdraw from) that's what they'll do - the banks want their money back, whether Endor/Fanatec survives or not. They couldn't care less about your firmware updates and warranties.

Do I personally think that's what's going to happen next week? No, but I surely wouldn't run around recommending people to purchase anything from Fanatec at this moment.

Been following this for a bit. Hopefully I at least get my DDPro back that I sent in 6 weeks ago to try and repair it myself if they won’t be able to do it for me

Like Kodak, Blockbuster and Polaroid?

From my understanding, if the CRO believes declaring bankruptcy will recoup more of the creditors money (perhaps Fanatec's countless sponsorship agreements are deemed too expensive to continue, or even withdraw from) that's what they'll do - the banks want their money back, whether Endor/Fanatec survives or not. They couldn't care less about your firmware updates and warranties.

Do I personally think that's what's going to happen next week? No, but I surely wouldn't run around recommending people to purchase anything from Fanatec at this moment.
These two comments are connected. What is the difference between Fanatec and the companies you listed? Fanatec's business has just broken into mainstream and is booming, volume-wise. All the other companies had their whole business vanish from underneath them.

That is also why the financers do in fact see that they have more of a chance to get their money by keeping Fanatec going. The market condition is strong, the product portfolio is strong. The issues are management level issues. Even though big, clearly something that can be fixed.

Given how close we are to the world series and that this wheel is the, ‘new official wheel of the series,’ its time for Gt7 and Sony to finally support it.
Sony/PD:
watch-this.gif

God I hope they prove me wrong, I have this base in my cart as we speak lol.

Last edited:
These two comments are connected. What is the difference between Fanatec and the companies you listed? Fanatec's business has just broken into mainstream and is booming, volume-wise. All the other companies had their whole business vanish from underneath them.

That is also why the financers do in fact see that they have more of a chance to get their money by keeping Fanatec going. The market condition is strong, the product portfolio is strong. The issues are management level issues. Even though big, clearly something that can be fixed.

They are not connected at all. I listed the companies mentioned only as a counter-example to @PirovacBoy's "too well established to fail" comment, not to compare business cases. I wouldn't even know where to find a comparable company that does things like taking out a $10 mio. loan to build a new HQ with a freaking go-kart track on top, while it's hemorrhaging millions.

However, Fanatec could very well end up exactly like Kodak and Polaroid; once ubiquitous, now existing only as a brand name some Asian company slaps onto their cheap knock-off products.

The fact of the matter is that Endor/Fanatec is on the brink of bankruptcy and now is an unwise time to buy from them, especially with the outstanding firmware issues. They might fold, get sold or even right the ship. Nobody knows. And nobody here has said they're gone tomorrow, just that it's a possibility. No amount of wishful thinking can change that.

They are not connected at all. I listed the companies mentioned only as a counter-example to @PirovacBoy's "too well established to fail" comment, not to compare business cases. I wouldn't even know where to find a comparable company that does things like taking out a $10 mio. loan to build a new HQ with a freaking go-kart track on top, while it's hemorrhaging millions.

However, Fanatec could very well end up exactly like Kodak and Polaroid; once ubiquitous, now existing only as a brand name some Asian company slaps onto their cheap knock-off products.

The fact of the matter is that Endor/Fanatec is on the brink of bankruptcy and now is an unwise time to buy from them, especially with the outstanding firmware issues. They might fold, get sold or even right the ship. Nobody knows. And nobody here has said they're gone tomorrow, just that it's a possibility. No amount of wishful thinking can change that.
We are going to have to agree to disagree. To me, my scenario is not wishful thinking but indeed is based on the actual information publicly available. Your thinking appears to me as negative hyperbole, which is not difficult to find when it comes to Fanatec. And I'm not defending them at all, they very much have brought it on themselves. But for actual purchasing advice, I don't think hyperbole is the way to go. Reasons for not purchasing Fanatec at the moment would include severe logistics and customer service shortcomings, advertising features that are not available and might not be for a long time, extremely difficult RMA situation and such. Imminent bankruptcy is not on that list. Fanatec's financial situation isn't catastrophic, and the steps taken by their financers are communicating their trust in the company being able to sort out the problems and start making profit. Endor's earnings guidance for 2024 is in fact estimating that to happen this year.

I don't know man. I'm thinking there's a pretty good chance that Fanatec doesn't make it. After reading through everything I could on Fanatec's forum, the picture looks pretty bleak.

That would really suck in numerous ways. One of them is the wheel I'm trying to put together. I have a cube control rim, PAPM & PBMR, and the qr2, but I don't have the podium hub. Without that, the equipment is worthless. It's pre-order only, and that's not until May 21.

I really hope they make it, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
I hope they do as well. I have a lot invested into their eco-system because I really do like their stuff. Prior to 2012, I thought their brand was crap, but their Club Sport V1.0 then subsequent 2.0 changed that perception for me. For PlayStation, there are other options, but none are as robust IMO. Plus, you can take your FANATEC gear and move onto PC without any more investment. I was a hardcore Logitech user until 2012 when I first purchased my Club Sport V1.0 Belt Drive base then 2.0, then GT DD Pro and now their latest DD+, which is going back once I get a response with the needed RMA procedure. (It's been over 3 weeks since I opened the ticket, which by current wait times...is going to be at least another 3 weeks for a response. My Buddy opened a tick in early FEB, and just now got a response.)

Anyway, if I were a new customer, I'd wait until they get their house in order. I suspect they want to get their SH#$%T in order, sooner than later.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. To me, my scenario is not wishful thinking but indeed is based on the actual information publicly available. Your thinking appears to me as negative hyperbole, which is not difficult to find when it comes to Fanatec. And I'm not defending them at all, they very much have brought it on themselves. But for actual purchasing advice, I don't think hyperbole is the way to go. Reasons for not purchasing Fanatec at the moment would include severe logistics and customer service shortcomings, advertising features that are not available and might not be for a long time, extremely difficult RMA situation and such. Imminent bankruptcy is not on that list. Fanatec's financial situation isn't catastrophic, and the steps taken by their financers are communicating their trust in the company being able to sort out the problems and start making profit. Endor's earnings guidance for 2024 is in fact estimating that to happen this year.
You keep arguing a point I've never made, namely that Endor is definitely going bankrupt. That's a straw man.

A company that can't pay its obligations faces the risk of bankruptcy ('risk' being the operative word.) That's objectively a true statement, no? That you think Endor's finances looks all fine and dandy seems like hyperbolic positivity to me. They might make it, they might not. None of us know.

And from you listing several reasons to wait purchasing, it seems like we agree more than we disagree.

Fanatec's Maurice Böschen (u/Momorious) also recommends people to wait, albeit because of the firmware issues.

I don't want to enter this argument, but the moment they can't pay their loans, and they can't hence the standstill, they are technically bankrupt.

I think the big question is how badly did the inventory // order processing 💩 the 🛌 and what percentage of that(if any) is irrecoverable. And how to fix that.

That’s where the money problem, as I understand it, which is minimally, stems.

I was not aware that Maurice Böschen was just a freelance firmware Beta Tester. I thought he was a full time employee at Fanatec. He's been very helpful over the years on the official Fanatec forums. Having read some of his ReDDit posts, he only spends about an hour a day doing what he does for FANATEC.

FMW
I was not aware that Maurice Böschen was just a freelance firmware Beta Tester. I thought he was a full time employee at Fanatec. He's been very helpful over the years on the official Fanatec forums. Having read some of his ReDDit posts, he only spends about an hour a day doing what he does for FANATEC.
I always assumed he worked for Fanatec. The amount of verbal abuse he takes over there on the Fanatec forum is disgusting and he's nothing but helpful and polite. Hopefully they're at least paying him for his work, "employee" or not.

Edit - he just wrote this: "No, the GT X wont be compatible with any other base until at least driver 460 I think."
That's cool, I didn't realize the GT DD X wheel would ever be compatible with other bases.

Last edited:
FMW
He spends a lot of time helping on the forum, maybe even more than beta testing if he only beta tests an hour a day. As long as you act respectfully(there are some people who just rage there), he will reply to you.

He spends a lot of time helping on the forum, maybe even more than beta testing if he only beta tests an hour a day. As long as you act respectfully(there are some people who just rage there), he will reply to you.
Definitely, He's great. I can't believe he's not a full time employee, it blows my mind. That's the kind of helpfulness and customer support they're in dire need of at Fanatec. Who knows maybe he's happy with their arrangement, whatever it may be.

I may be an outlyer here, but an enhanced display on a steering wheel?
I am way too busy watching the screen and track and trying not to crash to pay attention to pretty stuff on my steering wheel - which, incidentally, is almost never straight - lol !!!

I agree. Maurice takes a lot of abuse on the Fanatec forum from customers. Knowing that he's not a full-time employee makes me appreciate his thoughtful help even more. BTW: Do you guys remember Sim Racing Girl. She had a cool channel. If memory serves, she ended up working for FANATEC, but I wonder what ever happened to her? SIM RACING GIRL She was a great advocate for Fanatec. I hope working for them didn't burn her out.

Back