Ford Mustang Mach-E

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 286 comments
For some reason, I'm still pissed that they called this a Mustang. Why oh why couldn't it be just Ford Mach-E?
Likely marketing. The Mustang is a big name in the automotive world, Ford probably figured if they attached it to this car (and adding Mustang cues to justify the linkage) would boost its hype.

Bc really, the only people who would be really offended are die hard Mustang owners who are going to be buying the 5.0 V8s or nothing anyway.

My first in-person encounter with the Mach E. Once again, I think it doesn't look too bad; it probably is one of the best looking SUVs that Ford has made in the recent years. However, I still wouldn't call it a Mustang. I would've called it the Windstar, Aerostar, or maybe another horse name like the Clydesdale.
49439718472_f811cd110c_c.jpg

49439492426_373bf4b5df_c.jpg

49439021038_09ae9da7d8_c.jpg

My first in-person encounter with the Mach E. Once again, I think it doesn't look too bad; it probably is one of the best looking SUVs that Ford has made in the recent years. However, I still wouldn't call it a Mustang. I would've called it the Windstar, Aerostar, or maybe another horse name like the Clydesdale.
49439718472_f811cd110c_c.jpg

49439492426_373bf4b5df_c.jpg

49439021038_09ae9da7d8_c.jpg
Clydesdale actually would’ve not been a bad choice. Sounds elegant enough.
Main problem with the car is it’s smoothness, a couple sharp lines here and there would’ve gone a LONG way. But I’m sure the aerodynamicists has a higher standing in the pecking order this round.

edit: very inconvenient typo

Last edited:
Clydesdale actually would’ve been a bad choice.
How do you figure?
a couple sharp lines here and there would’ve gone a LONG way.
I'm not sure if I agree with this as recently, one of my big issues with modern car designs are their use of sharp lines. Ugh, edgey headlights, sharp corners on grills, and sharp fender designs. BLAH!

How do you figure?

I'm not sure if I agree with this as recently, one of my big issues with modern car designs are their use of sharp lines. Ugh, edgey headlights, sharp corners on grills, and sharp fender designs. BLAH!
Oh my mistake, meant to say would’ve not been a bad choice. Typing on an iPhone. There’s a video of sketch monkey redesigning it on YouTube, and he sharpens up the bone lines and it immediately started to resemble a mustang.

Last edited:
The Ford Mustang Mach E was in the house at the Houston Auto Show when I visited this past weekend. I didn't exactly study the entire machine, but it was most interesting to see it in the flesh. Maybe people probably wouldn't be as antagonistic about it if it either wasn't called a Mustang or had Mustang-like styling. In a way, its styling is almost as if Ford made some rally raid version of the Mustang. Oooh- imagine Ford in rally raid with this machine (rally raids like the Dakar Rally)! Otherwise, I'm interested in how this machine will do in the coming years.

Given the meme-worthy cars & coffee show exit exploits that plague the Mustang Driver image on the whole, i'm not sure that this video really helps the cause.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a33372903/ford-mustang-mach-e-1400-electric-drifter/

A highly detailed deep dive of the car. Quotes straight from the article with my own emphasis in bold

The Mustang Mach-E 1400 was developed in collaboration with RTR, a tuning shop run by pro-drifter Vaughn Gittin Jr. Not only does it drift, but like the Cobra Jet, it can also be used for drag racing. It can also be set up for road course racing. There are two suspension configurations that offer different control arms depending on the application, with the main difference being the length to accommodate for drifting's increased steering angle.

mache1400frontsuspension-1595290665.png

front suspension

Those control arms are mounted to custom aluminum suspension uprights that were designed by Ford GT racing engineers, so they will be familiar to anyone that has looked behind the brakes of a proper race car. A pushrod emerges from the upper control arm leading to an Öhlins damper in a cantilever configuration. The suspension results in a 6.9 inch wider front track than the street car.

The hubs on those uprights feature two-piece Brembo rotors and six-piston calipers that are pulled from the Mustang GT4 race car. Those brakes are connected to a module which allows for full ABS as well as stability control. A hydraulic handbrake inside the car is integrated with the power electronics to allow the ability to shut off individual motor sets as needed for drifting.

That 1400 horsepower is sent to all four wheels via seven electric motors from Yasa. Ford confirmed that they are pancake-style Yasa P400 R series motors which are rated for a peak of 214 horsepower and 273 pound-feet of peak torque at 700 volts. Seven of those motors would equal just under 1,500 horsepower and 1,900 pound-feet of torque, so it is possible that Ford is running them at slightly lower voltage or underrating the total output. Yasa motors have been used in performance applications in the past, most notably in the Koenigsegg Regera.

Three of those motors sit up front and are connected to a Winters quick change differential. A similar configuration exists in the rear with an additional motor in the stack connected to the same type of Winters differential. Energy storage for those electric motors comes from a 56.8-kilowatt hour battery pack that is made of nickel manganese cobalt (NMC) pouch cells located in the floor, like in the road going version. Power electronics for the whole system are stacked in the center tunnel area.

Those Winters differentials are large 10-inch units with Torsen limited-slip differentials inside. This will allow for a variety of track activities as well as easy swaps of gears sets when they want to swap from the road course to drifting configuration. It will also allow for a large range of ratios as Winters offers gear sets that go from 2.97 all the way to 5.73. In most configurations, they are built to handle roughly 1000 horsepower, plenty of capacity for the approximately 600 horsepower combination of motors in the front and 800 horsepower combination in the rear.

mache1400wintersdiff-1595290588.png

differential

mache1400blueprint-1595336580.jpg

While some might wonder why there are seven motors in use, it makes sense once you get a better look at the Yasa P400 R units. They're just over four inches thick, and stacking four of them in a row results in roughly a 17-inch long drive unit configuration. In comparison, an average V-8 internal combustion engine is usually around 25 to 28-inches long. The best way to think of it might be like a rotary which uses a pancake-style rotor housing of a similar size. So, this would basically be like a car with a 3-rotor swap in the front and a 4-rotor swap in the rear.

According to global director of Ford Performance Motorsports, Mark Rushbrook, the Mach-E 1400 was designed to be a demonstration of their electric vehicle capabilities. One of the main requirements was that it would be able to run on a charge for at least an hour of continuous use while drifting or running around a road course. With that goal in mind, they set it up so that the battery charge could last for an hour, charge for an hour, and be able to do it all over again. The charging system allows it to reach an 80 percent charge in less than an hour. Part of the reason that they are able to accomplish that is due to an active cooling strategy that circulates coolant into the battery pack during the charge cycle.

mach-e-1400-reveal-photos-13-1595290945.jpg

mache1400radiatorsrear-1595290622.png

Each of the drive unit sets can be run independently or in tandem, allowing the Mach-E 1400 to be run in front-, rear-, and all-wheel drive, which Ford says will help them investigate various layouts and the effect on energy consumption and performance. There is a set of large radiators in the front with dual fans as well as an independent set of radiators in the rear with three fans to provide ample cooling.

We see aggressive updates on the exterior with a splitter and dive planes on the front bumper, large fender flares on the sides that contribute to that 11.4-inch increase in width, as well as a large carbon fiber spoiler and diffuser. All of these changes result in a claimed targeted downforce of 2300 pounds at 160 mph. In comparison, something like the Koenigsegg One:1 produces a claimed 1,345 pounds at 160 mph.

Inside, a full roll cage is visible as well as Recaro racing seats. The center screen is one of the notable features transferred over from the street car. It's integrated with the electronics, but is currently only being used for some display features with plans to utilize it for some controls in the future. Directly below that is the DC/DC converter.

That whole thing is completely absurd and over the top and I love every bit of it. I could definitely see the adjustable drive units being a must have for an all-electric F-150.

(insert obligatory "put it every racing game right this second" remark here)

That whole thing is completely absurd and over the top and I love every bit of it. I could definitely see the adjustable drive units being a must have for an all-electric F-150.

(insert obligatory "put it every racing game right this second" remark here)

OK. Phlony pls put this in GT7 kthnx along with *other cars announced yesterday*.

Can you imagine the length of cord Mach-E owners would need to replicate this stunt?:lol::sly:
Provided it's attached to the car's roof, on a swivel, and is supported by a structure above the track with means to eliminate slack, it needn't be any longer than the distance between opposite corners of the track plus the distance from the structure to the car's roof.

And Mach-E owners probably shouldn't attempt this anyway.

So there.

:P

Obviously cordless drills are more convenient than corded provided you have batteries to sustain you for the job, so that's why I have a couple of them, but I'd also like to replace my corded drill which has taken quite the beating over the decades.

Provided it's attached to the car's roof, on a swivel, and is supported by a structure above the track with means to eliminate slack, it needn't be any longer than the distance between opposite corners of the track plus the distance from the structure to the car's roof.

And Mach-E owners probably shouldn't attempt this anyway.

So there.

:P

Obviously cordless drills are more convenient than corded provided you have batteries to sustain you for the job, so that's why I have a couple of them, but I'd also like to replace my corded drill which has taken quite the beating over the decades.
Drones! Drones to hold up the cord. Problem solved!

Seriously, showing the potential of EVs has to be a thing. Anyone "disconnecting" ICE from a hybrid, for more power? I'd find it interesting if someone were to customise a hybrid Camry or any hybrid Toyota/Lexus to sports car levels.

I'm saying, if it's cheaper to buy a hybrid over an EV, is it possible to tune the electric motor(of a hybrid) to a full EV power levels?

Back