Global Warming/Climate Change Discussion Thread

• Thread starter ZAGGIN
  • 3,626 comments

Which of the following statements best reflects your views on Global Warming?

• Total voters
Y

It’s the only reason anything happens. You might have to use some imagination to derive the point i’m making.
The first time I moved, I replaced all the windows in my home with ultra high efficiency ones that would never benefit me. The reasoning was to try to improve the energy efficiency of the house since I would no longer be there to upgrade it in the future and I wasn't sure how much the average person would care to do so. True story.

The first time I moved, I replaced all the windows in my home with ultra high efficiency ones that would never benefit me. The reasoning was to try to improve the energy efficiency of the house since I would no longer be there to upgrade it in the future and I wasn't sure how much the average person would care to do so. True story.

Why didn’t you do that when you first moved in so you could be ultraly highly efficient whilst you were living there?

I’m sure you enjoyed the benefits of the value added to the house in your sell price anyway.

I assume you are aware of Vegans and Vegetarians. Do they refuse to eat meat because they are paid?

Yes, every time they announce that they’re a vegan they get their payment in the form of a hit of endorphins. That’s why they do it. Pure smugness. Which you’d know all about.

Yes, every time they announce that they’re a vegan they get their payment in the form of a hit of endorphins. That’s why they do it. Pure smugness. Which you’d know all about.
moving-goalpost.gif

So now you've shifted your position from being paid to do something (in your example, with money), to doing something for the neurochemical reward. That's a big shift, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. It's still wrong, of course, but it's a massive goalpost move.

Your shifted goalpost is significantly harder to argue with, because while I'm sure there are vegans and vegetarians who became such for reasons other than dopamine, that's a very difficult thing to prove. So instead, I'll give you an example of someone who did something which definitely did not get him a hit of dopamine or money.

Valvilov was a scientist who refused to bend his scientific efforts to end the famine in Russia, even though he knew it would land him imprisoned and ultimately executed under Stalin. He was starved to death in prison for his valor.

Giordano Bruno was burned at the stake for his scientific findings, which he refused to recant.

I'd expect by this point that you realize that I could fill this page with people who faced persecution for their beliefs, or who committed acts of valor on the battlefield, each of whom would have been doing something for reasons other than payment OR dopamine. And I'd expect that at this point that you'd realize that almost everyone has something they'd be willing to make deep personal sacrifices for, despite a lack of any kind of monetary or chemical reward, simply because they used their intellect to sort out what it was worth and why. I'd expect that, but I'm spelling it out here because I expected it in the previous post.

Last edited:
Why didn’t you do that when you first moved in so you could be ultraly highly efficient whilst you were living there?

I’m sure you enjoyed the benefits of the value added to the house in your sell price anyway.
I focused on other things first, didn't get to the windows until the end. Admittedly I could have ordered things better, but it is what it is. As for the sale, sure the new windows added to the value of the home, but buying less efficient yet still brand new windows would have been the better move for profit.

Off topic.
You brought it up as on topic. I think, still not sure, you were insinuating that nobody actually cares about climate change. People only care about climate change for money or somesuch.

It's ok, you don't have to try to hide. You can just admit you're wrong and apologize for wasting everyone's time. People don't only do things for money. We all have thoughts that ultimately can't hold up, but it's important to admit when that happens - for personal growth.

Last edited:
I focused on other things first, didn't get to the windows until the end. Admittedly I could have ordered things better, but it is what it is. As for the sale, sure the new windows added to the value of the home, but buying less efficient yet still brand new windows would have been the better move for profit.

So you were concerned that the ‘average person’ wouldn’t care to be energy efficient, yet you were too focused on other things to be energy efficient yourself? Do you fly around in a private jet lecturing chinese peasants about the environment by any chance? Bill Gates, is that you? Lol

You brought it up as on topic. I think, still not sure, you were insinuating that nobody actually cares about climate change. People only care about climate change for money or somesuch.

It's ok, you don't have to try to hide. You can just admit you're wrong and apologize for wasting everyone's time. People don't only do things for money. We all have thoughts that ultimately can't hold up, but it's important to admit when that happens - for personal growth.

Not everyone’s time, your time.

Last edited:
You can use windmills to pump water and generate electricity, not just crush grain.

If you want to make an incorrect point about wind turbines, like that they don't pay back their carbon footprint within 6 months of use, then it's best to call them by their actual name so that you sound ever-so-slightly more like you know what you're talking about. If you want to sound like a 6-year-old, keep calling wind turbines windmills. Also best to refer to wolves as "woofs".

Last edited:
Well, you’re wrong about that - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windmill - so maybe you should act a bit less smug whilst I consider the likelihood that you’re wrong about everything else you’re saying. Because really, the more the narrative is pushed towards windmills and solar panels being the solution to all of our problems, the less I believe it. Because the people saying these things never, ever have our best interests at heart. Don’t believe them, they hate you.
Taken straight from your link:
A windmill is a structure that converts wind power into rotational energy using vanes called sails or blades, by tradition specifically to mill grain (gristmills),

@Danoff just ignore this clown. It's like trying to debate a flat-earther.

As a side note, my solar panels are up and running on my house. Woo Hoo! I have produced 760kWh in the last few weeks. September has been a bit cloudy, so production numbers are a bit down from what I would expect. The system is warrantied for 25 years. I guarantee you it will produce more energy than it took to build by orders of magnitude.

Last edited:
This you?

What I was obviously getting at was that, whilst indeed windmills were used to crush grain traditionally, as per the Wikipedia article, there were additional uses for windmills which were later discovered. Such as generating electricity. I’ll post this link again, seeing as you keep ignoring it: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/windmill

windmill
1 of 2
noun
wind·mill ˈwin(d)-ˌmil
a
: a mill or machine operated by the wind usually acting on oblique vanes or sails that radiate from a horizontal shaft
especially : a wind-driven water pump or electric generator

Personal growth, indeed.

Last edited:
So you were concerned that the ‘average person’ wouldn’t care to be energy efficient
I was unsure how likely it was that the windows would be upgraded, yes. So I replaced them as in that case I would know with 100% certainty the home would have efficient windows.

yet you were too focused on other things to be energy efficient yourself?
According to what? There is more to a house than windows. You suggested very wrongly that people would only do things for profit, so I provided an example of something done without profit. I guess the changes I made while also living in the house also had an altruistic component, but it's less clear since I also benefited directly.

I like the third definition the best. Something to tilt at.

Last edited:
As a side note, my solar panels are up and running on my house. Woo Hoo! I have produced 760kWh in the last few weeks. September has been a bit cloudy, so production numbers are a bit down from what I would expect. The system is warrantied for 25 years. I guarantee you it will produce more energy than it took to build by orders of magnitude.
Congrats and welcome to the club! I’ve had mine around 12 months and produced 13.27MWH of electricity.

My system also had a 25 year warranty and is on track to have paid me back within the next couple years.

Nothing beats “sticking it to the elites” by saving money on your power bill and helping the environment at the same time!

You suggested very wrongly that people would only do things for profit, so I provided an example of something done without profit.

I suggested no such thing. What i said was interpreted that way, very wrongly. It’s pretty amusing when someone reads something they disagree with on the internet they get so emotional about it that they take it personally. They get defensive about it as if it was an insult or a personal attack. That’s pretty interesting. I wonder if that phenomena has a name yet?

Businesses only do things for profit, was the point I was making. All these businesses that are making millions, billions, inventing new and improved ways of saving the world, are only doing so because it’s making them a lot of money. You think you know how much ’free’ electricity they actually generate? How do you know? Have you measured it? And the same with how ‘little’ energy it takes to manufacture. Who told you that, exactly? The website of a windmill manufacturer? Don’t believe a word of it.

Congrats and welcome to the club! I’ve had mine around 12 months and produced 13.27MWH of electricity.

My system also had a 25 year warranty and is on track to have paid me back within the next couple years.

Nothing beats “sticking it to the elites” by saving money on your power bill and helping the environment at the same time!
Nice. I have a 12.25kw system and supposedly it will produce ~15mWh of power/year. I'm not so sure I will hit that number or not. Its still early and we've had a cloudy September so far. But its all about averages, I suppose. Cant look at one day and jump to the conclusion that the system is not working right. My approximate payback date is 2.5 years, but it may be closer to 4 years if I can only make 12mWh/year.

What I was obviously getting at was that, whilst indeed windmills were used to crush grain traditionally, as per the Wikipedia article, there were additional uses for windmills which were later discovered. Such as generating electricity. I’ll post this link again, seeing as you keep ignoring it: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/windmill

That's a better job supporting your ridiculous position. But it's still ridiculous.

article
While windmills have been around for ages, wind turbines have only been around since roughly 1888, when the first known wind turbine created for electricity production in the U.S. was built by inventor Charles Brush to create electricity for his mansion in Ohio. Wind turbines are used to generate electricity from the spinning of the blades, rather than simply converting that spinning energy into more mechanical work, such as turning a mill or pumping water.

https://www.sierraclub.org/texas/energy/wind (this one actually explains that windmills are more correctly referred to as windpumps when they're used to pump water)

This is trivial. I just go down the list of google results, all of them say that what you're relying on is an incorrect usage of the term that is admittedly common enough to be recognizable. It demonstrates a lack of familiarity with the technology. Exactly the thing you'd hope not to demonstrate when you making a (wrong) claim about the technology.

I suggested no such thing. What i said was interpreted that way, very wrongly. It’s pretty amusing when someone reads something they disagree with on the internet they get so emotional about it that they take it personally. They get defensive about it as if it was an insult or a personal attack. That’s pretty interesting. I wonder if that phenomena has a name yet?

Businesses only do things for profit, was the point I was making. All these businesses that are making millions, billions, inventing new and improved ways of saving the world, are only doing so because it’s making them a lot of money. You think you know how much ’free’ electricity they actually generate? How do you know? Have you measured it? And the same with how ‘little’ energy it takes to manufacture. Who told you that, exactly? The website of a windmill manufacturer? Don’t believe a word of it.

moving-goalpost.gif
[

Last edited:
Back