Gran Turismo 4 Modding Discussion

Hi, I’ve seen the trailer and skimmed through this thread and I have a bit of a suggestion - apologies if this has been suggested already and I’ve missed it - but how about some kind of ‘event/championship creator’?

Something like choose from a list of rules/requirements; HP limits, types and eras of cars, etc etc, then which tracks you want to race on (with a high or even no upper limit on the number for those who dare!), number of laps and opponent difficulty, and then base prize money you get on all this. And perhaps with the ability to save and share your custom events.

Is this do-able, and of interest?

It’s actually something I thought of a little while back whilst playing through GT6 and its rather paltry offering of single player content.

Last edited:
Hi, I’ve seen the trailer and skimmed through this thread and I have a bit of a suggestion - apologies if this has been suggested already and I’ve missed it - but how about some kind of ‘event/championship creator’?

Something like choose from a list of rules/requirements; HP limits, types and eras of cars, etc etc, then which tracks you want to race on (with a high or even no upper limit on the number for those who dare!), number of laps and opponent difficulty, and then base prize money you get on all this. And perhaps with the ability to save and share your custom events.

Is this do-able, and of interest?

It’s actually something I thought of a little while back whilst playing through GT6 and its rather paltry offering of single player content.
Not doable in GT4 sadly, but likely doable (but a lot of work) in GT6.

Hi, do you think it's possible to add/replace some tracks in the future? Like adding a random/simple British track (oddly enough, there's no a single track despite several cars being in the game)

hmm, there's also the "unified soundtrack" mod for GT4 and I think someone did merge it with the online beta version as well. I wonder if that one could work.

Last edited:
hmm, there's also the "unified soundtrack" mod for GT4 and I think someone did merge it with the online beta version as well. I wonder if that one could work.
If someone else wants to risk distributing music with their mod then that’s their call, but this mod won’t have any added songs.

Adding songs is an easy enough task to where anyone who really wants it can probably unpack the mod and do it themselves, it’s not worth including them in the distributed mod in my opinion.

Fair enough, and good point.

Sorry to keep hassling you, but will your mod be capable of recognising and utilising a h-pattern shifter and handbrake if one wanted to use some more modern sim hardware in GT4?

Fair enough, and good point.

Sorry to keep hassling you, but will your mod be capable of recognising and utilising a h-pattern shifter and handbrake if one wanted to use some more modern sim hardware in GT4?
Don't worry about hassling, I'm more than happy to answer questions. Unfortunately because controls/input and physics are engine-side code, the stuff you're asking isn't possible with a mod.

That's not a GT4 mod though, that's a tool running on PC that translates the stick position into multiple upshift / downshift buttons presses for other processes on the same PC. The game itself has no idea where the inputs are coming from, because it's just getting told that L2 / R2 were pressed. This obviously means it won't work on a PS2 either.

since we have opponent lists now, is there any chance to have something similar for the average/highest HP of opponents in a race? it'd be really useful for players who wants to compete in a more balanced race without having to consult a guide or use the preview all the time

since we have opponent lists now, is there any chance to have something similar for the average/highest HP of opponents in a race? it'd be really useful for players who wants to compete in a more balanced race without having to consult a guide or use the preview all the time
Not really possible, the game has both real and artificial power upgrades on many cars in most races, values that can't be calculated while you're in the menu.

what are the current capabilities of modding, as far as upgrade parts are concerned? is it possible for minor parts, such as exhaust systems, to influence the torque curve just like Turbos and Superchargers? Or hell, even the flywheels, driveshafts and clutches? Would it cause conflicts if torque curve changes came from multiple sources?

what are the current capabilities of modding, as far as upgrade parts are concerned? is it possible for minor parts, such as exhaust systems, to influence the torque curve just like Turbos and Superchargers? Or hell, even the flywheels, driveshafts and clutches? Would it cause conflicts if torque curve changes came from multiple sources?
Minor parts mostly work this way, two values that modify the torque curve in some way (I would imagine a 50/50 split but the effects are unknown). For exhausts at least, the two values never differ so I imagine it affects the whole curve equally (101 being 1% more, 102 being 2%, etc):
1691046464352.png

Turbos have the same two torquemodifiers but you can see they're allowed to differ - simulating higher boost in the lower revs and a sharp dropoff (in the case of this stage 4 turbo, less torque than standard in the second half), and some other turbo-specific values that we haven't researched the exact effects of:
1691046575642.png

So you could in theory simulate the effects of a turbo with an exhaust mod, i.e. having a sharp increase at low revs and below stock at high revs, but turbos have special attributes that affect power in some way too.

Minor parts mostly work this way, two values that modify the torque curve in some way (I would imagine a 50/50 split but the effects are unknown). For exhausts at least, the two values never differ so I imagine it affects the whole curve equally (101 being 1% more, 102 being 2%, etc):
View attachment 1277176

Turbos have the same two torquemodifiers but you can see they're allowed to differ - simulating higher boost in the lower revs and a sharp dropoff (in the case of this stage 4 turbo, less torque than standard in the second half), and some other turbo-specific values that we haven't researched the exact effects of:
View attachment 1277177

So you could in theory simulate the effects of a turbo with an exhaust mod, i.e. having a sharp increase at low revs and below stock at high revs, but turbos have special attributes that affect power in some way too.
What about the flywheels, clutches and driveshafts? What stats do they all change?

What about the flywheels, clutches and driveshafts? What stats do they all change?
All three affect the "enginebrake" value which is essentially engine inertia, the time it takes for the revs to fall and shift gear. Drivetrains also control the drive type of the car and some unknown "prop" (probably propshaft) variables.

All three affect the "enginebrake" value which is essentially engine inertia, the time it takes for the revs to fall and shift gear. Drivetrains also control the drive type of the car and some unknown "prop" (probably propshaft) variables.
If that's really all they do, that explains why i can simply slap on lightweight parts with no ill effects...

And could parts be given stat mods they don't already have? Like making the flywheel also change engine torque on top of its inertial properties?

Thanks for all the answers.

Last edited:
If that's really all they do, that explains why i can simply slap on lightweight parts with no ill effects...

And could parts be given stat mods they don't already have? Like making the flywheel also change engine torque on top of its inertial properties?

Thanks for all the answers.
You can't, you can only play with the values of what already exists. You can make exhaust parts with insane or downgraded torque, clutch upgrades that actually make your shifts slower, etc., but you can't make a drivetrain part affect torque.

You can't, you can only play with the values of what already exists. You can make exhaust parts with insane or downgraded torque, clutch upgrades that actually make your shifts slower, etc., but you can't make a drivetrain part affect torque.
It's disappointing to see how simple the system really is. However, your data also confirms all the empirical tests I've done in the past. Every minor part is essentially a linear upgrade instead of a trade-off.

I just thought of something...are the classic muscle car engines going to be converted from Gross ratings to Net ratings?

Although that would be a hell of a job with all the guesswork involved...

That’s interesting, because I’ve always sort of intuitively felt that, but without doing any proper testing.
As far as power mods are concerned, only the turbos and superchargers alter the torque curve at all. Everything else is a linear upgrade.

For the drivetrain parts, I've recently discovered that, depending on the situation, using the lightweight parts CAN hinder your lap times. As TheAdmiester said, the main variable influenced by drivetrain parts are "enginebrake", which determines how long it takes for the car to lose all of its speed while in gear. A strong modifier makes it easier to slow down but also harder to maintain the target speed.

Overall, it's a choice between shifting and braking faster or maintaining speed more easily.

Last edited:
Back