Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.46 Will Add the Skoda Vision GT, Sony's Afeela, & a Classic Chevelle

• Thread starter Famine
  • 303 comments
None of these electric VGTs have any identity. Nothing about the Skoda looks or feels like a Skoda, it's just another overweight, overpowered EV. Get it in a straight line, mash the throttle, brake early, repeat.

Massive missed opportunity by Skoda.
That’s your opinion. I do think they have identity, for example the Jaguar VGT, you can clearly see influences from classic Jaguars like the D-type and E-type with their long hood/bonnet and curvaceous lines. Skoda took a similar approach basing it on the 1100 OHC Spider… unfortunately most brands feel the need to add some gimmicky stuff like the ‘hologram’ type thing on the Jaguars dashboard or the whole dashboard being a rear view screen… but ohwell…

Also, for electric vgt’s, their weight and power is pretty reasonable, the Skoda, Jaguar and Porsche are all pretty close. But electric cars in general (that actually exist) are obviously always quite heavy due to the batteries. Their extra weight does require a different driving style and skill, but to put it as “Get it in a straight line, mash the throttle, brake early, repeat.” just show you don’t have those and that’s okay, we all have different preferences and cars we like to drive.

I do agree it’s a missed opportunity for Skoda, it would’ve helped them more if they maybe made this a Skoda only update with the VGT as well as the classic car that inspired it and a modern/popular/significant car.. although in my opinion, Skoda these days isn’t a very exciting brand, a few exceptions sure and cool rally cars, but this game doesn’t do offroad physics very well and has no rally stages to properly use a rally car on, so what’s the point of adding them…

It’s ’fashionable’ to hate on EV’s and to express your ‘hate’ every opportunity you get. Instead you can just not like it, say nothing if it’s not constructive and move on with your day.

Skoda took a similar approach basing it on the 1100 OHC Spider…
1714120238248.png

I might have a certian ignorance about it, but I dont see any bit of
1714120301316.png

in the current VGT
1714120400482.png

This goes for most cars that are "based on" to me.

That’s your opinion. I do think they have identity, for example the Jaguar VGT, you can clearly see influences from classic Jaguars like the D-type and E-type with their long hood/bonnet and curvaceous lines. Skoda took a similar approach basing it on the 1100 OHC Spider… unfortunately most brands feel the need to add some gimmicky stuff like the ‘hologram’ type thing on the Jaguars dashboard or the whole dashboard being a rear view screen… but ohwell…

Also, for electric vgt’s, their weight and power is pretty reasonable, the Skoda, Jaguar and Porsche are all pretty close. But electric cars in general (that actually exist) are obviously always quite heavy due to the batteries. Their extra weight does require a different driving style and skill, but to put it as “Get it in a straight line, mash the throttle, brake early, repeat.” just show you don’t have those and that’s okay, we all have different preferences and cars we like to drive.

I do agree it’s a missed opportunity for Skoda, it would’ve helped them more if they maybe made this a Skoda only update with the VGT as well as the classic car that inspired it and a modern/popular/significant car.. although in my opinion, Skoda these days isn’t a very exciting brand, a few exceptions sure and cool rally cars, but this game doesn’t do offroad physics very well and has no rally stages to properly use a rally car on, so what’s the point of adding them…

It’s ’fashionable’ to hate on EV’s and to express your ‘hate’ every opportunity you get. Instead you can just not like it, say nothing if it’s not constructive and move on with your day.
You could equally ignore my comment and move on with your day. Criticism is as constructive and praise, just depends on your point of view.

I would have loved if they had added the Oktavia RS along with the VGT, and my point re: overpowered and overweight EVs stands. As it is, the Skoda VGT seems completely pointless as a GT series debut

I’m serious, they should do it. I’d put down $100 that it’s a total flop. Have you seen their social media? The comments are littered with hate towards the VGT’s. It’s a small percentage that actually likes them.
I think it is hilarious when people like yourself firmly believe in their deductions skills based on negative comments on social media and claim to know more about the player base than the developers who have the actual data. You are so easily convinced because you saw 100-200 people spouting hatred about VGT's in social media content. Even if I am grossly underestimating how many negative unique comments you have read and the real number is 1,000 or 10,000, that is still an extremely small minority of the millions of people who have played GT7. It is just simple math that is inarguable that PD does not have a single post in their entire history on social media that contains enough comments that the post can be used as evidence to support any claim of knowing more than they do about how the game is being played and which cars are driven the most.

I think it is hilarious when people like yourself firmly believe in their deductions skills based on negative comments on social media and claim to know more about the player base than the developers who have the actual data. You are so easily convinced because you saw 100-200 people spouting hatred about VGT's in social media content. Even if I am grossly underestimating how many negative unique comments you have read and the real number is 1,000 or 10,000, that is still an extremely small minority of the millions of people who have played GT7. It is just simple math that is inarguable that PD does not have a single post in their entire history on social media that contains enough comments that the post can be used as evidence to support any claim of knowing more than they do about how the game is being played and which cars are driven the most.
What is the "actual data" out of interest?

The fast EVs a part of a bigger class of cars that are generally unfun to drive in this game, which are "cars that go too fast for their brakes/and or tyres".

For EVs it's because you can't engine brake in them, and engine braking is really strong in this game. But it's not just power or VGT-ness that does it - the Ferrari VGT has a ton of power but is lovely to drive, whereas the Maserati MC20 feels awful despite its raw numbers not being that ridiculous, as anyone who remembers the Bathurst Time Trial will agree.

PD are great at the '90s JDM level ~300bhp cars, and they're pretty good at the race cars, but when you put power onto a car without accompanying racing aero/tyres/brakes, that's where their physics model suffers a bit in enjoyment of driving.

What is the "actual data" out of interest?
One example would be how many unique occasions each VGT car completes an event and the overall race time added to a leaderboard. None of us sharing our opinions on forums and social media comment replies have full access to this kind of data. Polyphony Digital does have access to those stats. If the percentage of people willing to drive VGT cars was as low as I see claimed all the time, I'm confident the VGT program would have been scrapped years ago long before I even started playing GT7. The reality is that the negative comments and criticism are not supported by the analytics. Sadly it is looking more and more like the VR data does paint a clearer picture of why VGT cars are still a big focus but VR is not. Following the lack of developments to PSVR2 specifically is far more disappointing and sad than any other news and update I've seen. PSVR2 and GT7 changed my life forever and it hurts to see that my opinions on the matter can also be considered too much of a minority stance for it to have any value.

One example would be how many unique occasions each VGT car completes an event and the overall race time added to a leaderboard. None of us sharing our opinions on forums and social media comment replies have full access to this kind of data. Polyphony Digital does have access to those stats. If the percentage of people willing to drive VGT cars was as low as I see claimed all the time, I'm confident the VGT program would have been scrapped years ago long before I even started playing GT7. The reality is that the negative comments and criticism are not supported by the analytics. Sadly it is looking more and more like the VR data does paint a clearer picture of why VGT cars are still a big focus but VR is not. Following the lack of developments to PSVR2 specifically is far more disappointing and sad than any other news and update I've seen. PSVR2 and GT7 changed my life forever and it hurts to see that my opinions on the matter can also be considered too much of a minority stance for it to have any value.
To be fair, the VGT time trial is basically forced on players so not sure I agree with that logic.

Don’t become too despondent with vr. If sony’s behavior can be taken from how they handled the R series of cameras, they will be completely complacent, hanging pro’s out to dry, for what feels like forever. Then right when your about to swap back to canon, they go and do something impressive with the line and keep it interesting.

Personally, these companies are being idiots. Games like gt7 are incredible because we are seated. The rest of the games almost need some sort of a treadmill to be viable. Personally, i love mmo’s and would even try fps if i could walk and run etc. but with the cord and its too much of a pita and a little dangerous for the room im in..so its a pass for now.

Btw. They clock vr in an odd way. I play gt7 for 1-3hrs a day. Its always a fraction of the time i have gt7 open. Despite virtually never playing it flat

The internet is the home of the “loud minority”.

They toss a VGT in the weekly’s, I race it only to get the credits. If I could swap the VGT races for a different race I would. I’d love to see the data of who’s driving VGT’s. I’ve raced online a lot! I’ve got like 1600hrs into the game, I’ve rarely seen VGT’s in any lobbies. Lots of GR.3, lots of newer street cars and lots of muscle cars. I stand by my opinion that if PD made GT8 all VGT’s it would bomb. I dare them to do it, prove me wrong. By the time GT8 comes out there will be other racing sims I’ll be playing so I could care less if they VGT GT8 game would fail. I’m confident it would hardly sell at all.

They toss a VGT in the weekly’s, I race it only to get the credits. If I could swap the VGT races for a different race I would. I’d love to see the data of who’s driving VGT’s. I’ve raced online a lot! I’ve got like 1600hrs into the game, I’ve rarely seen VGT’s in any lobbies. Lots of GR.3, lots of newer street cars and lots of muscle cars. I stand by my opinion that if PD made GT8 all VGT’s it would bomb. I dare them to do it, prove me wrong. By the time GT8 comes out there will be other racing sims I’ll be playing so I could care less if they VGT GT8 game would fail. I’m confident it would hardly sell at all.
I agree that if they tried to release a game that was only concept cars it would fail. I have an observation that my opinion on how they release cars and what cars are released would be an unpopular one here on GT Planet because I would suggest they change very little about what they are doing. I'm about 98% satisfied with the current mix of vehicles that we have to this point and how they are released. I more care about the lack of VR features that have been updated and would rather have some new race courses and game modes added.

For example, if I had some insider way to advise PD about this last update, I wouldn't have suggested any changes to which cars were released. My advice would have been to take advantage of the partnership or deal that is bringing Tidal and Tunein to the Aveela. Instead of just having the Spotify option to replace the in-game music, they should also have Tidal and Tunein. Tunein would allow you to listen to sports radio. Tidal has a great library of some of the highest-quality audio streams available for some of the top music artists. In real life, Aveela puts a huge focus on the media info that can be displayed on that dash. So why not have 3 different services that users could pick from to replace the in-game music and then have info about the song that is playing viewable right there on the dash? Or you could have live sports scores viewable on the dash. Also, the Aveela allows you to switch between themes that change the color of the dash, and depending on the theme you pick, it also changes the sound of the engine itself. Even though it is an artificial engine sound, at least that is something to make the EV engine sound less boring. The fact that they think about these digital media integrations for the real car, but ignore them in the virtual world just seems stupid to me. Having those little touches to make the Aveela different than any other car in the game would have made gamers hate it a lot less. Those additions also would have put more value on driving in cockpit view when driving the Aveela, which also adds value to playing in VR. It would be about as minor of an upgrade to VR as you could get, but at least it would be something instead of nothing at all like it has mostly been for the past year.

Plus the suggestions about Tidal and Tunein would benefit every single Playstation owner. Not just Gran Turismo players.

EDIT: The more I think about this though it makes me think of Spotify's history over the last few years with big money exclusivity deals. It is very likely that when Spotify agreed to pay a licensing fee to Sony to replace in-game music, they offered to pay more if they could be exclusive and be the only service available. Having Tidal and Tunein in the Sony Honda car would likely not violate any exclusivity deal that was brokered for consoles. Hopefully, Spotify will drop that strategy similar to how they changed their strategy with Joe Rogan's podcast which allowed its return to YouTube. I don't think Spotify would suffer a massive dropoff in PlayStation usage if Tunein and Tidal were added to PlayStation. They had enough of a head start that most people will not change which service they are using.

Last edited:
Btw. They clock vr in an odd way. I play gt7 for 1-3hrs a day. Its always a fraction of the time i have gt7 open. Despite virtually never playing it flat
Yea, you bring up a good point. Thanks to the AFK method at Daytona of generating credits, it likely looks like I have played in VR less than I have on a flat screen. Where the reality is I have driven in VR at least 95% of the time.

I agree that if they tried to release a game that was only concept cars it would fail. I have an observation that my opinion on how they release cars and what cars are released would be an unpopular one here on GT Planet because I would suggest they change very little about what they are doing. I'm about 98% satisfied with the current mix of vehicles that we have to this point and how they are released. I more care about the lack of VR features that have been updated and would rather have some new race courses and game modes added.

For example, if I had some insider way to advise PD about this last update, I wouldn't have suggested any changes to which cars were released. My advice would have been to take advantage of the partnership or deal that is bringing Tidal and Tunein to the Aveela. Instead of just having the Spotify option to replace the in-game music, they should also have Tidal and Tunein. Tunein would allow you to listen to sports radio. Tidal has a great library of some of the highest-quality audio streams available for some of the top music artists. In real life, Aveela puts a huge focus on the media info that can be displayed on that dash. So why not have 3 different services that users could pick from to replace the in-game music and then have info about the song that is playing viewable right there on the dash? Or you could have live sports scores viewable on the dash. Also, the Aveela allows you to switch between themes that change the color of the dash, and depending on the theme you pick, it also changes the sound of the engine itself. Even though it is an artificial engine sound, at least that is something to make the EV engine sound less boring. The fact that they think about these digital media integrations for the real car, but ignore them in the virtual world just seems stupid to me. Having those little touches to make the Aveela different than any other car in the game would have made gamers hate it a lot less. Those additions also would have put more value on driving in cockpit view when driving the Aveela, which also adds value to playing in VR. It would be about as minor of an upgrade to VR as you could get, but at least it would be something instead of nothing at all like it has mostly been for the past year.

Plus the suggestions about Tidal and Tunein would benefit every single Playstation owner. Not just Gran Turismo players.

EDIT: The more I think about this though it makes me think of Spotify's history over the last few years with big money exclusivity deals. It is very likely that when Spotify agreed to pay a licensing fee to Sony to replace in-game music, they offered to pay more if they could be exclusive and be the only service available. Having Tidal and Tunein in the Sony Honda car would likely not violate any exclusivity deal that was brokered for consoles. Hopefully, Spotify will drop that strategy similar to how they changed their strategy with Joe Rogan's podcast which allowed its return to YouTube. I don't think Spotify would suffer a massive dropoff in PlayStation usage if Tunein and Tidal were added to PlayStation. They had enough of a head start that most people will not change which service they are using.
Difference of opinions. I like to drive the cars. All music is off for me at all times when driving. I would be happy if they put a little more effort into the sounds of the cars too. It’s much better than it used to be, but there’s room for improvement. When you fire the car up in the garage, it sounds great, but then you take it onto the track and it’s not as raw sounding. I’d take improvement in that area over being able to access music in different ways. On my wish list at the top though, is tune sharing. And if they do that, that may as well let people share custom races too. Some people here have put in a ton of time creating more races for themselves. Why not let people share them and give them a rating our if 5 stars.

Yeah, I can attest to VGT's unpopularity. No joke 50+% of lobby rooms that aren't dedicated to class racing will have "No VGT" in the name or will specify street cars only to filter them out. If it's not in the name, you may still be kicked out for using even a sensible one anyway, which is what has happened to me. Kinda still salty about that ngl

Kinda still baffles me how strongly people feel about these cars though. Sometimes it seems it's more so than the glaring problems in other, more important areas.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can attest to VGT's unpopularity. No joke 50+% of lobby rooms that aren't dedicated to class racing will have "No VGT" in the name or will specify street cars only to filter them out. If it's not in the name, you may still be kicked out for using even a sensible one anyway, which is what has happened to me. Kinda still salty about that ngl

Kinda still baffles me how strongly people feel about these cars though. Sometimes it seems it's more so than the glaring problems in other, more important areas.
For me personally, I just have zero interest in them and there’s so many more cars I’d much rather have in the game. About the only thing I like about some of them is the look or design. I don’t like driving any of them, not a huge fan of the sounds of most of them.

I think a lot of players playing this game are “car guys” so they’re not interested in them. Sure some people are going to have interest in it but most “car guys” are into older vehicles. It also had to do with the electric part of it too. I saw a rendering of a new 240z online that looked absolutely sick. I’d love to see it in the game… as long as it’s not electric. The only reason I have a Tesla in my garage is because they kept showing up in weekly’s and I didn’t want to waste money buying another just to complete it. I wish I could just hide it away in another garage never to be accessed until I HAVE to use it for a weekly. Lol

I wish I could just hide it away in another garage never to be accessed until I HAVE to use it for a weekly. Lol
Well, you can. Add every car you appreciate as a favourite, and then change garage view to display favourites only.

Difference of opinions. I like to drive the cars. All music is off for me at all times when driving. I would be happy if they put a little more effort into the sounds of the cars too. It’s much better than it used to be, but there’s room for improvement. When you fire the car up in the garage, it sounds great, but then you take it onto the track and it’s not as raw sounding. I’d take improvement in that area over being able to access music in different ways. On my wish list at the top though, is tune sharing. And if they do that, that may as well let people share custom races too. Some people here have put in a ton of time creating more races for themselves. Why not let people share them and give them a rating our if 5 stars.
Like wise, I turn off the music and only has the engine and race fx sound on

You might want to turn the volume up in the game to hear more

God... Am I the only one who thinks Skoda VGT has awful breaks and stearing. I had a problem to get around Grand Valley with it.

Also I can't drive without shifting xD I used to chose a gear before turn to adapt speed on it and in electric cars I can't do that xD

Keep in mind driving EVs should be like driving an automatic car and playing the first Gran Turismo with the “X” & “⏹️”. ;)

With any vehicle that you would expect to have a killer engine sound, I leave the music off for my first couple of drives with it. I drive 100% of the time with a Woojer Vest 3. Not only do I want to hear the engine in all its glory, I can feel it too. But after a few runs and experiencing that enjoyment, I revert to music and try to discover new tracks on Spotify that I can use later in my DJ sets. My audio and haptic setup for VR is too good to not take advantage of listening to music on it at least half of the time. My haptic vest is mostly reacting to the music when it's on, but I still feel the transmission and engine when you would expect to. Depending on the vehicle I will tweak the settings so I can get the best of both worlds.

But if there were a wish list of features that you could vote on, I agree with you and would rank tune-sharing and custom race-sharing above the audio features I mentioned. Just pointing out how they missed out on an opportunity with the Aveela when they used Gran Turismo and the PS5 to promote the vehicle, but did absolutely nothing to set it apart from any other EV in the game. The fact that you can change the engine sound in the vehicle but they forgot to add that ability in the game might be one of the biggest oversights imaginable. Like someone should be fired for that one.

Back