Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
It very well may be; but if that's the case, I hope they are keeping alot, in terms of features, from us at this time.

This was just the title announcement showing "championships" to communicate the primary focus/theme. We should learn about features present or not in the coming months.

The tone of the trailer is one of something different, and more strict. Not the usual GT with all the massive variety of cars, but specialized, more serious racing, which makes sense with all the FIA branding everywhere. This would only be a re-branding of GT if Sony and Polyphony decided to alienate casuals and non-FIA governed racing fans, that is, the majority of their sales and fanbase, which simply doesn't make any sense.

I saw normal production road cars, VGTs racing along with cars from completely different classes.

Am I the only one here hoping it's not a renamed GT7? I don't want it to be a stopgap either; my ideal vision of GT Sport is a completely new direction for the franchise. I lost my love for the series in the PS3 era, and PD stuffed GT6 so full of gimmicks and antiquated content that it's become bloated to the point where I just want a clean, fresh start. In the beginning Gran Turismo was innovative, but Polyphony has been rehashing the same formula now for too long, and it feels stale.

"A completely new direction" that isn't "a stopgap" would still be a main iteration on the "Gran Turismo" series.
Unless they changed the name to "Grand Tourismo" or "Grumpy Tourists" (making it a new game), it'll inevitably be the 7th Gran Turismo, or a "renamed GT7".
And no, a "renamed GT7" does not preclude "a new direction", that is your semantic association to it.

"A completely new direction" that isn't "a stopgap" would still be a main iteration on the "Gran Turismo" series.
Unless they changed the name to "Grand Tourismo" or "Grumpy Tourists" (making it a new game), it'll inevitably be the 7th Gran Turismo, or a "renamed GT7".
And no, a "renamed GT7" does not preclude "a new direction", that is your semantic association to it.

You must be real fun at parties

That is good info. From what it sounds like, it may be the next GT7, but the question still remains because there's this:

gtsportevi.png

Just noticed something:

gran-turismo-sport-screenshots-1.png

Take a good look at the driver's Gloves and helmet visor. As someone who actively fiddles with the Racing suits, I don't recall seeing the FIA logo or signage on them.

And the name is probably just Sport because they plan to add content to this game, not releasing another GT on PS4

If that was to happen I would be quite ecstatic. The jump from GT1 to GT2 was decent but not that much. he jump from GT5 to GT6 was even smaller. The only time the gap was large enough to warrant a completely new game imo was the jump from GT3 to GT4. GT2, GT4, & GT6 have always felt the more "complete" game to their predecessors. It probably has to do with the fact that PD doesn't have enough staff working 24/7 to make the game that Kaz. really wants by release date.

Also if their are going to be continuous updates for the GTS I would prefer the amount of tracks & cars to be a some solid fixed number. Let's say 500 premium cars & the rest standard. Over the course of the GTS development for the PS4 the standards can be upgraded to premium while the glitches are fixed (preferably little from the box).

Since the jump from GT5 to GT6 was only like ~100 cars more. I would rather have quality over quantity. That PD focus on new & upcoming vehicles & events over random saloon vehicles of the 1980s.

There will no longer be any more prologue(s) if my memory is serving me right.

Take a good look at the driver's Gloves and helmet visor. As someone who actively fiddles with the Racing suits, I don't recall seeing the FIA logo or signage on them.

Those signage were probably added to show the partnership & tribute to lord FIA

I believe Gran Turismo Sport is a reimagined GT experience aiming to create new momentum for Sony / Polyphony Digital. It can be argued that GT6 has exhausted the traditional formula. An innovative approach is probably needed if GT hopes to regain its past glory, and 'GT7' would likely leave fatigued consumers trapped inside their image of the series. Second, there's probably more to gain by reinventing the GT brand as opposed to spreading it across different series. I think Polyphony Digital needs focus as much as innovation to compete in this increasingly crowded market of simulation-oriented console driving / racing games. Finally, the 7-77 thing from the trailer could also hold a hidden message. Gran Turismo Sport could be an ongoing platform starting with the 7th iteration, potentially expanding into its 77th.

I believe Gran Turismo Sport is a reimagined GT experience aiming to create new momentum for Sony / Polyphony Digital. It can be argued that GT6 has exhausted the traditional formula.

I concur. As much as I enjoy the GT franchise. There are things missing from it which pCarz & Assetto Corsa, Dirt, WRC, Nascar, iracing, rfactor, & F1 are filling in.

No longer is it the one stop shop to e-racing as it used to be way back in the day.

At first i thought it was a prologue but after getting a little bit more info i think it could be possibly a full blown GT game but just with a different name.

It's good PD are doing something new and different, but my scare is the shortage and lack of contents. Hope we get what we want and there's no excuse to blame the hardware anymore. It must be easy with 8Cores and 8GB ram. 16X the ram PS3 had, so I'm thinking of dead 60fps.

I'd guess that the removal of numbers mean they plan to just update this game for the duration of the PS4. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a subscription model like iRacing or an MMO.

I don't think it is GT7, it's too diffrent. I think it's a beta test to the FIA championship.

Also GTS's trailer doesn't contain "The real driving simulator" slogen.

Last edited:
I think its the PS4 GT. We wont see GT7/8 this gen and this game will be update until the end of generation.
But I dont like this idea. :boggled:

I don't think this is GT7, I think it's a standalone spinoff for a dedicated GTAcadamy game

I'm loving this concept, but this ^ is all i am hoping for right now. And i'm quite confident, actually...

- They've been working on a new GT for how long? Even before GT6, maybe?
- Kaz's OCD
- PS4's power
- Consistent community requests on basically the same things
- Competition is stronger than ever, GT Sport is not a title that will battle the big games out there, it's a different platform (esports)

All he mentioned was this partnership with FIA and the two championships from with in. It sounded, to me, that this was something for us to play until GT7 came out. Out of everything in a GT game, he talks about this one aspect, sounds fishy to me. .
Imho he talks about that one point because he is proud to be cooperating with a ****ing FIA, how can he not talk about having a blessing from them, it is THE thing to brag about.

I think its the PS4 GT. We wont see GT7/8 this gen and this game will be update until the end of generation.
But I dont like this idea. :boggled:

I think in the conference they said as first GT game on PS4. This is probably for the competition and something for 2016 before a proper GT7 is released in 2017. That is what I think. Not sure why so many are voting GTS as another name for GT7 :nervous:

Maybe this is Gran Turismo for Sport. Like duck hunting for sport or fishing for sport.

This doesn't have that Real Driving Simulator vibe. More of a, grab your controller and jump straight into what world events are happening. Let me boot up a quick Arcade Mode game, a la GTPSP type game.

I think GT Sport is the direction PD is going and it could be possible that like Driveclub, GT Sport will rather run as a service than an actual release of seperate games.

A modular game in which players can choose what to have from a game. For the developer they could bring out content during the years to come without the pressure of building a complete new game.

Organizing events with communities and E-sport integration would work in a more "simple" way if the "base" of the games offers this and the rest will be build arround it.

FIA could organize a National Touring Car event and when a player joins the package will be prepared for download.

It's the way I think they will go

Last edited:
I think GT Sport will be a separate game compared to main numbered series. It will be a prologue/demo, an e-sports hub (including GT Academy) and a beta for testing new tech for the main game all rolled into one. And I predict it will be a free download from PSN (no disc version will be sold). It will be updated continuously throughout the PS4 life cycle (i.e. there will be no GT Sports 2), and when it's time to move onto PS5 it will be released as a new game also called GT Sports. Basically it will be a "service" rather than a traditional "game".

GT7 will likely come a year after, with all the new cars and tracks included, and the traditional career mode and extra features (photomode, car buying, tuning, etc). Of course it will also have online multiplayer and seasonals, but all of the competitive events will be on GT Sports.

It would be interesting to see if they use a more realistic physics for GTS and reserve the "classic" semi-sim physics for GT7. Certainly it would help please both the hardcore and casual fans. I'm never a fan of blending arcade and sim physics in one game. Too much compromise for both sides and you end up not pleasing anyone.

Finally, for this e-sports to be a success, PD needs to make sure performances are fully balanced and all of GT's physics anomalies are sorted out.
- No tuning of any kind allowed (changing settings are ok)
- BOP/PP balancing needs to be spot on (would be interesting for manufacturers cup as it's such a wide range of cars)
- No more grip glitch when quitting/reentering events (ala GT Academy)
- Drafting, tire wear, fuel consumption and damage needs to be realistic
- Race length need to be realistic to make pitstops actually matter
- Penalties and course limits applied as per real life

It's a big ask and I would be very impressed if they managed to tick all the boxes. But at this point we have so little info so my predictions could be way off :P

Also, there is a chance that GTS might end up being better than the main GT7 due to being more focused and a more consistent quality overall (no standard cars). Just like GT5P is better in many people's eyes than GT5/6. So don't count this out yet 👍

Last edited:
PD surely made me excited for Gran Turismo again. It seems that they're planning on further evolving their game, rather than just creating a GT7 with a dumbed down career mode like we've seen in GT5 and GT6.
I'm really looking forward to what they have in store for us.

Back