Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Begins 17 April

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 10,783 comments
I'm back home and have had a chance to do some testing for the Manu Cup. My short list consists of the manufacturers that no GT1 drivers in Canada picked last season - Citroen, Dodge, Hyundai, Renault, and Suzuki.

I started with the Round 1 race at Nurburgring, doing a full Custom Race against one other car, with damage disabled. I ran a 2RM-2RM strategy with a tire change for all the cars. The Citroen was the only one that needed a splash of fuel.

Here's how things went (by opt time):
ManufacturerOpt TimeBest TimeTotal TimeAvg TimeAvg Dev
Citroen8:18.1558:21.96434:00.9738:30.2430:08.170
Hyundai8:18.1858:23.03533:59.9168:29.9790:05.265
Dodge8:19.4818:25.41634:07.1008:31.7750:05.220
Suzuki8:22.8288:26.20534:19.8568:34.9640:07.074
Renault8:24.2728:30.20234:30.9048:37.7260:06.201

(source)

I started with the Renault yesterday evening -- after a couple drinks -- which might explain why it was so much worse than the others. The combination of being a bit rusty at the track and a bit light in the head probably makes the car look worse than it is. I might go back and retest it later if I have time.

I have no excuse for the Suzuki. I'm just not any good at driving that car.

I was surprised by the Citroen. I really didn't expect it to do so well. Mind you, it drank a lot of fuel in the process. We'll see if that matters when I test the other rounds.

Given my earlier testing and recent BoP buff, I was expecting the Hyundai to do well. The only problem with it was its top speed. It was just barely hitting 260 km/h on Dottinger, where all the other cars were easily hitting 265 km/h, and the Suzuki getting to 270 km/h.

Tire tread remaining going into the pits:
ManufacturerFront LeftFront RightRear LeftRear Right
Citroen75.00%90.00%65.00%70.00%
Hyundai70.00%75.00%75.00%75.00%
Dodge65.00%75.00%70.00%75.00%
Suzuki70.00%80.00%70.00%75.00%
Renault80.00%90.00%60.00%65.00%

Tread remaining at finish:
ManufacturerFront LeftFront RightRear LeftRear Right
Citroen80.00%90.00%65.00%65.00%
Hyundai70.00%80.00%75.00%75.00%
Dodge65.00%80.00%70.00%75.00%
Suzuki75.00%85.00%75.00%75.00%
Renault80.00%90.00%60.00%65.00%

All the raw data is captured in this spreadsheet, should you want to take a look.

Incredible work @Moose78, I still haven't picked a Manu for my main account, because once I do, that's the account I'll be using for the rest of the championship. I also tested the Hyundai, and I was really impressed with how good it was out of slow turns (lots of grip), a bit Porsche like, but not as well balanced. I think over the course of a season the Hyundai could be the most viable of the alternative manufacturers, and the only place I see it suffering is Daytona RC and possibly Fuji.

I really don't know what possessed me to choose Renault... but it's done and now you've made me question some life choices. Crap.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I did a bunch of testing with these manufacturers before the details of the Manu Cup were announced and the Renault was very strong in those. The poor showing in this test was most likely due to it being the first one that I tested. In other words, the problem was me, not the car. I expect it will do better when I test the other rounds. Results coming soon.
How can you know that, by the way?
You can browse the results by location and manufacturer on the event page here. Just click on the 'Local Rankings' view.

It is a bit of pain because you have to click through each of the manufacturers individually. For example, you can see that AMG had 14 drivers in Canada, while Citroen had none.

Last edited:
Ugh, the 787B is so horrid to drive around the Daytona infield, but it’s pointless picking anything else for this race.

Someday PD may get around to fixing the Gr1 BoP.
well, I for one, am driving nearly identical practice laps in the nissan and the mazda. The nissan is not any easier in the infield, but way more easy on the ears and sanity! I'll try a custom race tonight to test the tires. Of course, wednesday night, I might decide to skip if I have a long day.

Ugh, the 787B is so horrid to drive around the Daytona infield, but it’s pointless picking anything else for this race.

Someday PD may get around to fixing the Gr1 BoP.
In complete contrast to you, I just ran 15 minutes of practice and found the 787B a treat to drive around Daytona - especially the infield section). Straight-line braking, nailing apexes and soft throttle input are key for this combo. It's an incredibly fast car but the consequences of making a mistake seem higher than the more modern cars.

What BB are you folks using at the Daytona?
-1 BB seems to have a good result for me. Being on the controller, I needed a little understeer because if I braked a bit early, I would steer into the inside grass. If I braked too late, I would overshoot the corner. The -1 BB is helping me in inducing a little understeer in the Mazda, allowing me to hold brake and steer into corner entries without having to be precise either with braking or with steering.

Knowing from past Daily Races, I know that the rears will wear out more than the front so -1 BB also helps here.

What BB are you folks using at the Daytona?
-1 BB seems to have a good result for me. Being on the controller, I needed a little understeer because if I braked a bit early, I would steer into the inside grass. If I braked too late, I would overshoot the corner. The -1 BB is helping me in inducing a little understeer in the Mazda, allowing me to hold brake and steer into corner entries without having to be precise either with braking or with steering.

Knowing from past Daily Races, I know that the rears will wear out more than the front so -1 BB also helps here.
I cranked it fully to the back wheels for my fastest laps during practice. For the race I'll probably run at 2 or 3 toward the back. This also depends on if I'm switching tyres twice which I have yet to decide.

What are your thoughts on pitting for tyres twice vs once?

I've run a few full distance tests now. I've tried the Mazda 787B, the Nissan R92CP and even the Porsche 962C.

I found the Porsche the most stable of the three and easiest to drive, but couldn't achieve the same level of pace with it. It ended up being more than 10 seconds slower over full distance than the others. Unless you're really struggling to control the meta cars, I do not recommend picking this.

My test with the 787B went 1 lap > drive through pit > 11 laps > pit for tyres and fuel > 12 laps.

My first test with the R92CP was also 1-11-12 like the 787B. My second was 7 laps > pit for tyres > 9 laps > pit for tyres and fuel > 8 laps.

I found the Nissan was marginally worse on tyres, but being slightly more stable than the Mazda (IMO) cancelled it out. I'm also faster overall with the Nissan. It gets a tiny bit squirrely on the last one or two laps for each set of tyres doing the 1-11-12 strategy but nothing horrendous.

I also found the 1-11-12 and 7-9-8 strategies led to virtually identical race times when running in clean air at all times. The double tyre change did set some faster laps, but didn't really compensate for the extra tyre change.

Last edited:
I've run a few full distance tests now. I've tried the Mazda 787B, the Nissan R92CP and even the Porsche 962C.

I found the Porsche the most stable of the three and easiest to drive, but couldn't achieve the same level of pace with it. It ended up being more than 10 seconds slower over full distance than the others. Unless you're really struggling to control the meta cars, I do not recommend picking this.

My test with the 787B went 1 lap > drive through pit > 11 laps > pit for tyres and fuel > 12 laps.

My first test with the R92CP was also 1-11-12 like the 787B. My second was 7 laps > pit for tyres > 9 laps > pit for tyres and fuel > 8 laps.

I found the Nissan was marginally worse on tyres, but being slightly more stable than the Mazda (IMO) cancelled it out. I'm also faster overall with the Nissan. It gets a tiny bit squirrely on the last one or two laps for each set of tyres doing the 1-11-12 strategy but nothing horrendous.

I also found the 1-11-12 and 7-9-8 strategies led to virtually identical race times when running in clean air at all times. The double tyre change did set some faster laps, but didn't really compensate for the extra tyre change.
how is your fuel?

I could not find the time to practice a full 24 laps.
My mind was set on the LM55 VGT 4wd it drives so well. But in the 5 laps I did in lobby race earlier I was getting smoked by the 787B on the straight.

Should I just switch to 787b and hope for the best without practice. Does the LM55 stand any chances, saving a pit stop maybe?

Should I just switch to 787b and hope for the best without practice. Does the LM55 stand any chances, saving a pit stop maybe?
There are two mandatory pit stops so you really can't save a pit stop.

Quick question: in league race qualifying I frequently exit the track after a couple laps to do a couple more fliers on fresh tires. Will that cause any issues in GTWS (like kicking myself out of the race or annulling my previous laps)?

So ran the 2pm NZT GT2 slot of Nations at Daytona. A track where I'm good and a GrC car, which I enjoy.
Did a few laps practice and went a different way running BB 2 to the front. Qualified p3 with a 1:30.3. The lone Nissan (I was 787 screaming demon) was p7 I think. P2 binned it on the kink lap 1 and slid back on in the second hairpin. I accidentally bumped them as they were trying to straighten it with dirty tyres and they slid wide. Sucks but they also missed the next turn because of the dirty tyres too.

Got lapping and the leader pulled over and let me through, trying to bump draft a big gap. He pits on lap 8, I pit lap 9. Then it rolls around and another driver is catching me as we head to lap 16, but he pits on 16 while I have a 2 second lead and I pit on 17. Exiting 0.5 in front of the polesitter. We run nose to tail to the end. Turns out it was a GT1 person I raced with at other times who can't run GT1 because they're on night shift. 124 points to add to my other counting scores of 123 (both) and I'm done for the season.

If anyone is curious about lines or how I pushed the car you can watch back a stream. I was a bit erratic but maybe it cam help someone.

So ran the 2pm NZT GT2 slot of Nations at Daytona. A track where I'm good and a GrC car, which I enjoy.
Did a few laps practice and went a different way running BB 2 to the front. Qualified p3 with a 1:30.3. The lone Nissan (I was 787 screaming demon) was p7 I think. P2 binned it on the kink lap 1 and slid back on in the second hairpin. I accidentally bumped them as they were trying to straighten it with dirty tyres and they slid wide. Sucks but they also missed the next turn because of the dirty tyres too.

Got lapping and the leader pulled over and let me through, trying to bump draft a big gap. He pits on lap 8, I pit lap 9. Then it rolls around and another driver is catching me as we head to lap 16, but he pits on 16 while I have a 2 second lead and I pit on 17. Exiting 0.5 in front of the polesitter. We run nose to tail to the end. Turns out it was a GT1 person I raced with at other times who can't run GT1 because they're on night shift. 124 points to add to my other counting scores of 123 (both) and I'm done for the season.

If anyone is curious about lines or how I pushed the car you can watch back a stream. I was a bit erratic but maybe it cam help someone.

Thanks for sharing. Did anyone only change tyres once?

Thanks for sharing. Did anyone only change tyres once?
The driver who went long the first stint tried it. But they were losing so much time those last couple of laps each stint. They couldn't get into and out of the infield as their right rear was almost gone. But if you're good on tyre management you can try it. They were losing a second a lap to me those last couple of laps on the first stint

How do the track limits exiting the chicane work, this screenshot is from the top time on the leader board. If I try and exit like this I get a penalty.

Daytona Road Course_.jpeg

I'm surprised by this, as I assumed the 1-11-12 strategy would be slower (despite not putting for tyres) with getting caught up in traffic and lack of slipstream.

I think I'd try 1-11-12 if I'm in traffic anyway or people are being a little bit aggressive with contact. If at the front I'd go 7-9-8.

Looking forward to this today.

I had the same feel with Porsche, it turns so more easy, It was looking that I was doing way better than my Nissan run, but nope the time was not good.
I made about 30 laps combined, so if a C or below are reading this, my best time was:
Porsche: ~01:33.500 (BB -2)
Nissan: ~01:32.060 (BB -5)
Mazda: 01:31.117 (BB 0)

How do the track limits exiting the chicane work, this screenshot is from the top time on the leader board. If I try and exit like this I get a penalty.

View attachment 1351709
You don't get penalty if you go on that yellow mark and it seems that the limit distance from the white line, I got penalty when touched the grass or made a wide curve to the left.

Not a big fan an Daytona RC but ran a practice session yesterday with different cars and best I could do was a 1:32.3xx or something with the 787B. Was about to skip this race too.

Tried again 2hours ago and after 5 laps I lapped a 1:30.426 in the 787B. Next laps were all below 1:31.xxx.

Gonna be a tough race for sure but kinda enjoy it 😅

Good luck to everybody who runs it 💪

Already seeing people having glitched lobbies at the start. Same as LeMans.

It's the OFFICIAL SEASON! We can't use our own cars and the lobbies are still glitched. Are you Fanatec guys still having wheel issues with the game as well?

Fix ya game, PD.

re you Fanatec guys still having wheel issues with the game as well?
I have had three GT Pro DD FFB sensitivity glitches while practicing this season and I don't know if it's been fixed or not so any race with a pit stop I set the wheel rotation to the car. For the Mazda I have it locked at 480 degrees. The other races I have left it at Auto and it's been OK.

I suppose it would've been a little nicer if today's race was more specifically limited in terms of which Gr.1 cars were permitted, but it is what it is. Personally, I would've experimented a little and only permitted the prototypes of the late 00s/early 10s, like the Peugeot 908, the Toyota TS030, and the 2011-spec Audi R18. Or alternatively, the three LMP1 racers from 2016, namely that year's version of the Audi R18, the Toyota TS050, and the Porsche 919 - with the previous year's Nissan entry tagging along, perhaps.

Door #5 72pts for first

Quali was good, 3 drivers decided against the 787B, one quit in quali

18f33cd850584-screenshotUrl.jpg

Had a awesome start and took P1 in the first turn because the driver on P1 got a bit wide.

First stint was great, had a 3s lead when I pitted the first time on lap 8.

In went downhill from here. Decided to fill her up to the max and lost P1. Got myself 2 .5s penalties out of the bus stop and pitted on lap 16 with 8s gap to p1.

Came out 3s behind P1 and somehow hit the tires in turn 2 in lap 20. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Fell back to P4 and finished there for 63points.

Improved my points but this just feels like a massive loss. P1 was really fast and I doubt that I could have catched them but P2 should have been the result. Really disappointed 😒

18f33cd62a64-screenshotUrl.jpg

Last edited:
Just had an absolute stonker of a race tactically. First ever World series race as an A driver in an A lobby (Still GT2 class).

Poor qualy from me led to me starting 8th with a 1.30.8 when I know I could have started 2nd with a 1.30.3. Messed up as well because I slowed down crossing the line with 20 seconds to go for some reason I had a brain fart and forgot I could do one more lap!!!?

First lap I was up into 5th halfway through the infield section after a bit of drama. Clear of the trailing pack, battling closely with 4th.

2nd lap, going into the bus stop, 4th placed guy fully brake tested me (seriously early braking with no one near him to distract him), I ended up with a 2 second penalty and damage to my front even though he didn't even go off the road. So I took a bit of advice from one of our friends from earlier @Zorz (Thank you bud) and used that opportunity to do a drive through the pits on L2 whilst I had damage and I was slowed down from the penalty. Came out in 13th ugh.

Really stuck at the task well, was confused as to who hadn't pitted etc.... But lap times were holding up nicely on the tyres, nailing really good low 1.31s / high 1.30s consistently, and I did a 12 lap stint, pitting again from 3rd on lap 14, a couple of seconds off the lead but really out of sync with the rest of the field.

Final stint, came out in 11th, was sort of in a bit of no man's land, ahead and behind were around 3-4 seconds either side, but I knew the leader had only pitted once on lap 12 and quickly got to within a pit stop of him. Loads stopped on L17 so I was up into 4th, still about 18-19s off the leader who hasn't pitted.

3rd place either made a couple of mistakes or was driving cautiously in the last couple of laps as I was able to get to about a second behind when we finally crossed the line. 4th placed finish for me....

Oh wait! The top 2 on track only pitted once! One min penalty for each, up into 2nd I go.... I don't feel bad about that at all, because if they had pit at the end I would have ended up ahead on track anyway.

150 points, new record for me, I'm keeping that. Upto 379 for the series now. Beautiful strategy, I do feel like I could (and should) have won if it wasn't for that penalty. Oh well. On to Spa we go for the finale on Saturday!

Back