Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Begins 17 April

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 11,250 comments
Two thoughts:

One, PD have made a rod for their own back here, everyone's going to report everything that minorly inconveniences them now, which doesn't sound like the best culture to build.

Two: If there's any GT1-level members in the Americas who haven't entered yet, doing just the last round in a Hyundai might be the best credits-per-minute reward a race ever offers in GT7 regardless of your finishing position, since you'll get the credits for being the best Hyundai (and probably a decent amount for local area, too).

One, PD have made a rod for their own back here, everyone's going to report everything that minorly inconveniences them now, which doesn't sound like the best culture to build.
On another thread, I figured that we're (at least in GT1 League) this close to having iRacing-style protesting with the way things go on, at least informally, and not in a good way.

That's a ridiculous penalty, it's the guy complaining about it that caused the contact by turning in on the car passing him. If someone puts a move like that on you give them room and try the undercut.
I don't think it's like that, if you look at the light gray tarmac for referencing you can see the Porsche drifts to the outside (towards Leivitius) and Lev holds the outside of the gray patch consistently.

I would say the Porsche deserves a penalty for going wide and initiating contact to pass but a DQ for the entire round is extremely overkill and the fact you have people running off tattling over incidents like this is a very sad state of affairs for the game and makes the whole competition look a bit pathetic.

Last edited:
I don't think it's like that, if you look at the light gray tarmac for referencing you can see the Porsche drifts to the outside (towards Leivitius) and Lev holds the outside of the gray patch consistently.

I would say the Porsche deserves a penalty for going wide and initiating contact to pass but a DQ for the entire round is extremely overkill and the fact you have people running off tattling over incidents like this is a very sad state of affairs for the game and makes the whole competition look a bit pathetic.
I agree with you.

What is worrying is a couple of things, close racing incidents become over scrutinised which is time wasting at best and prone to over sensitivity at worst.

Secondly you are asking people to be cleaner than the best real world drivers but depend on PSN, internet and PD code which none are ever consistent.

I absolutely support creating high standards even out of the S ranked guys splits.

I think the better solution would have been to operate a carding system and that those that get a strong enough penalty or those that get too many have "play off" style races to redeem themselves.

50/50 about full round points loss as the sensible thing would be to swap in the Lev instance the points around rather iron fist approach.

a DQ for the entire round is extremely overkill and the fact you have people running off tattling over incidents like this is a very sad state of affairs for the game and makes the whole competition look a bit pathetic.
I agree with you.

What is worrying is a couple of things, close racing incidents become over scrutinised which is time wasting at best and prone to over sensitivity at worst.

Secondly you are asking people to be cleaner than the best real world drivers but depend on PSN, internet and PD code which none are ever consistent.

I absolutely support creating high standards even out of the S ranked guys splits.

I think the better solution would have been to operate a carding system and that those that get a strong enough penalty or those that get too many have "play off" style races to redeem themselves.

50/50 about full round points loss as the sensible thing would be to swap in the Lev instance the points around rather iron fist approach.
The bigger issue is that it looks - and I'll emphasise that this is not a suggestion on my behalf that it is, as I don't believe they would - like there's drivers being selected for the live events and drivers that are not.

Even looking like that, whether it is or not, is enough to destroy credibility, confidence, and trust in the competition. And the problem there is not who'll be attending this year's finals but who's going to bother with next year's knowing that their effort can be zeroed out at any time.

This could be remedied by more openness, explanation, an official announcement... anything, really.

I think there is a separate topic that needs to be discussed generally for sport mode.

And that is giving place back or waiting.

I have no opinion either way but I do take huge issue with when people decide to do these things (and if they don't I have no strong opinion either...race to the flag. Politeness is gentlemanly but it's not a requirement just the right thing to do)

Waiting in the middle of chicanes, or corner exits. Pausing to type sorry's half way through a race. Cool you are sorry and respect that guys race but way about me trying to navigate your auto driving tank?

If I need to give a place back I almost always do it on the next straight or at the line.

Just so much complexity in racing incidents, it takes calculated risks to pass people of similar pace and compliance on their part. Things happen not with malice in mind but the edge is the edge for a reason at everyone's limit.

And when it goes wrong we could probably be all better rather than polite in rectifying them.

It was a day off here in Canada -- long live Queen Victoria -- so I had some time in the morning to test out a few strategies (then I went and worked in the yard until I was exhausted and now I've had a few gin drinks -- apologies if this post is somewhat incoherent -- or even less coherent than usual). Anyways, I mostly I wanted to find out if changing tires is the right choice for me at Daytona. I'm driving the Dodge Viper -- your mileage may vary, as always.

For me, it looks like changing tires is the right move, but not by much:

pubchart

Obviously staying on the same set of tires impacted my lap times in the second stint. Here are the overall numbers:
StrategyChange tires?Opt timeBest timeTotal timeAvg timeAvg dev
10RM-10RMFALSE1:46.3591:46.94836:22.8161:49.1410:02.131
10RM-10RMTRUE1:46.3301:46.92936:19.9021:48.9950:02.563

Tread levels at pit:
StrategyChange tires?Front leftFront rightRear leftRear right
10RM-10RMFALSE75%70%75%45%
10RM-10RMTRUE75%70%75%45%

Tread levels at finish:
10RM-10RMFALSE55%45%50%0%
10RM-10RMTRUE80%75%80%60%

In the no-change strategy, I was really noticing the tire wear starting on lap 16. Turn 1 was where it was most noticeable. The rear right tire when fully red in the final lap.

All the raw data, including a few other strategies I tested, is in this spreadsheet here.

One side observation, for the Rd.4 race at Suzuka, I'd decreased the controller's steering sensitivity from 7 to 3. I'd left it at 3 for these tests. Comparing them to tire wear I observed when I did my selection tests back in April (which were done with sensitivity 7), it looks like the reduced sensitivity settings can have a significant effect on tire life. Have any other controller users noticed this?

I've done a few other strategy tests with a tire change. Right now an 8RM-12RM seems to be my fastest option, but it is also my most recent. Can't tell if I'm just getting faster on the track or if it is the strategy that is making the difference. All the numbers are in the spreadsheet for anybody interested.

Everybody whose hitting lap times in the 1:44s, my hat is off to you. In FP, the best I've been able to manage is a 1:46.1, with an opt time of 1:45.9. I find myself caught in the usual state of anxiety over whether that will be good enough, but the last few times I've been in this situation, qualifying worked out okay for me, so I'm going to try not worry about it.

Last edited:
I'm planning to change tires. I haven' run a whole race without changing, but just based on where the wear is on the right rear, I'll lose some pace towards the end, and I think those last couple of laps will get sketchy in T1 and the chicane. So I'm not gonna risk that... just plan to change. I can go 13.5 laps before needing fuel, so I will have a window of lap 7-13 to pit depending on traffic.

It was a day off here in Canada -- long live Queen Victoria -- so I had some time in the morning to test out a few strategies (then I went and worked in the yard until I was exhausted and now I've had a few gin drinks -- apologies if this post is somewhat incoherent -- or even less coherent than usual). Anyways, I mostly I wanted to find out if changing tires is the right choice for me at Daytona. I'm driving the Dodge Viper -- your mileage may vary, as always.

pubchart

Obviously staying on the same set of tires impacted my lap times in the second stint. Here are the overall numbers:

Tread levels at pit:

Tread levels at finish:

In the no-change strategy, I was really noticing the tire wear starting on lap 16. Turn 1 was where it was most noticeable. The rear right tire when fully red in the final lap.

All the raw data, including a few other strategies I tested, is in this spreadsheet here.

One side observation, for the Rd.4 race at Suzuka, I'd decreased the controller's steering sensitivity from 7 to 3. I'd left it at 3 for these tests. Comparing them to tire wear I observed when I did my selection tests back in April (which were done with sensitivity 7), it looks like the reduced sensitivity settings can have a significant effect on tire life. Have any other controller users noticed this?

I've done a few other strategy tests with a tire change. Right now an 8RM-12RM seems to be my fastest option, but it is also my most recent. Can't tell if I'm just getting faster on the track or if it is the strategy that is making the difference. All the numbers are in the spreadsheet for anybody interested.

Everybody whose hitting lap times in the 1:44s, my hat is off to you. In FP, the best I've been able to manage is a 1:46.1, with an opt time of 1:45.9. I find myself caught in the usual state of anxiety over whether that will be good enough, but the last few times I've been in this situation, qualifying worked out okay for me, so I'm going to try not worry about it.
So tires probably aren't going to be an issue for GT2/3, with our races at 15 laps. With a mandatory stop, fuel mileage isn't going to be an issue or strategy either. Guess my slow 1:50 1:48 (I had RH tires on for my first test) laps aren't going to cut it, even in GT3.

Last edited:

pubchart

Tread levels at pit:

Tread levels at finish:

I did a race in kie25 lobby earlier with a a few other top 3 split drivers in there and everyone changed tires. Even though I’d expect them to be able to manage them better than most too. There will probably be some that don’t change them as it’s possible to make it to the end but you start losing half a second a lap towards the end.

I was quite confident for this race and looking forward to it, can get 45.0 in FP which isn’t bad but found out that the Vantage just hasn’t got the speed to overtake anyone on the straights. I sat in the slip of a Jag for most the race and it just wouldn’t gain on it. Can’t see how I’ll make any positions other than peoples mistakes. :lol:

* In GT2 league, depending on what you drive, you can get away without refuelling snd changing tires. Looking at you Lexus drivers!

pubchart

Tread levels at pit:

Tread levels at finish:

If you're going to skip changing tires, you might as well just not pit until you're about to run out of the fuel. You're just adding extra weight to your car and killing your tires even more if you pit at half way.

A completely red right rear going through the bus stop would scare me... and especially on an non-FR car. I'm gonna change tires.

It'll be interesting to see what GT2/3 people end up doing.

I was quite confident for this race and looking forward to it, can get 45.0 in FP which isn’t bad but found out that the Vantage just hasn’t got the speed to overtake anyone on the straights. I sat in the slip of a Jag for most the race and it just wouldn’t gain on it. Can’t see how I’ll make any positions other than peoples mistakes. :lol:
I have the same expectations for the Porsche.

Last edited:
Considering how there are complaints about the league setups from both sides, GT2/3 players wanting the longer races and GT1 players who don't, I'd propose switching things up entirely and half reverting back to how things were in GT Sport. Also tie in the discussions from a few pages back about the problems with the setup.

Three leagues in each championship, and signing for one immediately locks you in to that and removes the others.

GTWS Qualification
Only available if you're at 80k+ DR when a season starts. Very few timeslots per race and the most serious settings - heavy damage, long races etc.

Due to how few people should be in this per region, give the races human stewards like at the live events to prevent all the issues and drama the recent disqualifications have caused. All rounds are counted towards the final total, so no more getting a few good results early in a season then disappearing to protect your chances by artificially dropping the points available for others. If you're trying to qualify for the live events, you should damn well have to fight for it.

Endurance
Similar to the current GT1 setup, but available to everyone and with 10 timeslots per race to make it more accessible to the average player than GT1 is now. Group 3 only in Manufacturers and longer races, at least 45 minutes+.

Short
Similar to the current GT2/3 setup, but available to everyone. Mixed Group 3/4 in Manufacturers and shorter races, up to 30 minutes.

Let people pick what they want on a season-by-season basis. Busy schedule and doing the longer races will be tough, or you fancy some Group 4? Go for the Short league. Want the more intense races? Go for the Endurance league.
I like this basic idea, and have had similar thoughts to this too. Have a sprint and endurance entry, available to all DR levels, and e-sports slot(s) available to high DR drivers. I'd say you can register for both sprint and endurance, with e-sports being one or the other. If they raced only once a week or every other week, I'd do both.

If they would adjust the multipliers to make unique races for each distance it would be near perfect then. I wouldn't do different car classes for different lengths, personally, but wouldn't be opposed either. On damage, I actually like Heavy if there is a required stop somehow (mandatory stop/go, fuel burn, tire wear, rain, whatever...) so the penalty for repair isn't a full 30-40 second stop nobody else takes. But for these "barely better than a daily C" sprints, heavy can ruin it completely in T1. So I would consider heavy for endurance, and light for sprint but again... not opposed to light only.

I think the same format would work for any championship too. Nations? Toyota GR? Street cars? Super Forumla? All could have endurance and sprint lengths + optional e-sports. Then we wouldn't get people tanking DR to get more time slots or shorter races, and I wouldn't be sitting here fretting about keeping my DR above A just to get the longer races I want, lol.

The bigger issue is that it looks - and I'll emphasise that this is not a suggestion on my behalf that it is, as I don't believe they would - like there's drivers being selected for the live events and drivers that are not.

Even looking like that, whether it is or not, is enough to destroy credibility, confidence, and trust in the competition. And the problem there is not who'll be attending this year's finals but who's going to bother with next year's knowing that their effort can be zeroed out at any time.

This could be remedied by more openness, explanation, an official announcement... anything, really.
How long until someone trawls through all of the “chosen ones” races and reports all their contact?

This could get very ugly, very quickly.

If you're going to skip changing tires, you might as well just not pit until you're about to run out of the fuel. You're just adding extra weight to your car and killing your tires even more if you pit at half way.
Yeah. This thought occurred to me... right after I'd gone into the pits on lap 10 and the screen asked if I wanted fuel. Why didn't I just stay out a couple more laps? I dunno -- just not thinking. But I didn't want to spend the time redoing the test to correct it.

The results are what they are. I'm not sure that staying out a couple more would have made any significant difference. I'll be taking fresh tires, either way.

Some interesting strategies for round 5. Seeing as im driving the Porsche in GT1 league, I'm definitely changing tyres. In the second stint on lap 11, I started hitting a few mid 44's which were even better than my TT of 1:44.867 The Porsche is very competent on the infield part of Daytona, but it's extremely vulnerable on the 2 long straights.i was racing against a Ford GT LM earlier, and he just gapped my Porsche with ease. There was literally nothing I could do to stop him pulling away. The only advantage the Porsche has over the Ford, is a better fuel rate and possibly better tyre wear, but it's not enough to prevent the Ford from lapping at least half a second faster per lap. This is going to be the Porsches toughest round. I think it's had it pretty easy so far, due to its all round capabilities. Let's see what we can do come race day.

Last edited:
So realistic damage strikes yet again! Bad qualifying got me P10 with Door #10, so off to a great start. First lap accident had me around and into the pits for damage, and then with the rain coming 'round lap 10 (shocker), I thought I could jump a couple people on the pit cycle, but fried the tires too quickin the dry, but had leapt to the lower top 10 after the rain stopped. Pitted for slicks and was treacherous, while being hassled by a quicker BMW and a Red Bull Porsche. Started P10, ended P10, not a tonne of fum like I was hoping but that's racing I guess!

Onto Daytona!

Last edited:

I agree the porsche does drift wide, he's gone in a little faster than ideal and missed the apex. But there's no rule I'm aware of that you must hit every apex and not get your line a little off perfect every now and then.

There was no need for that to result in contact, the driver being passed could have seen this coming, braked earlier and cut in behind him and got a much better exit. Instead he chose to try and hang on around the outside of someone who had out braked him fair and square, and didn't even give them the room they needed to get around the corner without contact.

I agree the porsche does drift wide, he's gone in a little faster than ideal and missed the apex. But there's no rule I'm aware of that you must hit every apex and not get your line a little off perfect every now and then.

There was no need for that to result in contact, the driver being passed could have seen this coming, braked earlier and cut in behind him and got a much better exit. Instead he chose to try and hang on around the outside of someone who had out braked him fair and square, and didn't even give them the room they needed to get around the corner without contact.
Of course there's no rule for not making a mistake, but there are rules for making contact.

It is not Levs job to move out the way. It is the overtaking cars job to make a move safely, which he didn't do, and then kept the position post contact. He had plenty of room to keep his car on the inside but he washed out wide and initiated a push to pass.

He missed braking point and used Levitius as safe net. Great move...
It seems to me that after GTWS championship has been won this way in 2022 (X2019 Trial mountain drama), PD is trying to revert it now and emphasize that these types of moves will no longer be tolerated.
In my opinion, by leaving this behavior without consequences, they gave people a signal that this driving style is OK and "push-to-pass" became common in sport mode. And now they see their mistake. That's why there is so much points deletion in online qualifications.

Of course there's no rule for not making a mistake, but there are rules for making contact.

It is not Levs job to move out the way. It is the overtaking cars job to make a move safely, which he didn't do, and then kept the position post contact. He had plenty of room to keep his car on the inside but he washed out wide and initiated a push to pass.
Agree with Nebuc. It's the passing car's job to make sure he can do so cleanly. The Porsche has a run, the M6 needs to be respectful and leave a car's width for the Porsche on the inside... A CAR'S width, not three cars' widths, just one. It's the Porsche's job to make sure he sticks to that car's width given and attempt to make the pass. The M6 leaves the space but the Porsche missed its braking point and went a bit wide making contact with the M6.

This was not dirty, rather a mistake. The Porsche's fault and probably should've just given the place back (or, if not maybe a 2s-5s post-race pen; however, we've already discussed in this thread PD can't seem to figure out how to do this and just eliminating said driver is just easier). Getting a post-race DQ is ridiculous. I am not going to get into the weed of this, but IMO it was kinda b*tch move to even report that (lost a lot of respect for said streamer), but to each their own.

In my race I got pushed-to-pass FOUR times by three different drivers. They were all worse than this instance (one of which gave me damage I got to carry around for the rest of the race). And, none of the drivers gave the place back. To add insult to injury, one of them cost me three places because there were two cars really close behind at the time. I wasn't happy about it but reporting the move(s) to PD literally never crossed my mind (as if PD would give a fig about us scrubs anyway... like, why start now PD?!).

Anyway, I digress. TLDR: Porsche messed up but doesn't deserve a DQ.

Last edited:
Another DQ (no cause of evidence):

Meanwhile, the DQ'ed Aston Martin driver alleged his DQ was because of "a third party that has nothing to do with the crash":

Rumor has it that a third party that has nothing to do with the crash reported me for convenience and that they will purposely take away my points. This is turning into the worst garbage. And I'm not going to give names but I already know very well [who is behind this]!

Things are hotting up in my local battle. It's become Zorzesque!
Only 2 of us in my 'local' area and we are neck and neck after missing 2 rounds each.
1716291474106.png

Furthermore if nobody else joins in it has quite the ramifications. 1st and you get gold. 2nd and you get bronze.
Hopefully I can get a couple of good results to pull ahead.

It would be nice to get gold in my last run in the Bristol region. (I do not know how you even change this.)

Maybe this is all PD's secret master plan to drive away all the players, so they can kill off GTWS and show the Sony bosses they're saving money. Why would anyone with serious skills even play this game anymore?

No local battles for me - I'm the only GT3 Lexus entry and the only GT2 Chevrolet entry. Had some competition in previous years but people have understandably moved on.

Last edited:
Things are hotting up in my local battle. It's become Zorzesque!
Only 2 of us in my 'local' area and we are neck and neck after missing 2 rounds each.
View attachment 1357114

Furthermore if nobody else joins in it has quite the ramifications. 1st and you get gold. 2nd and you get bronze.
Hopefully I can get a couple of good results to pull ahead.

It would be nice to get gold in my last run in the Bristol region. (I do not know how you even change this.)
I don't know whether to be more surprised at someone remembering the local rivalry I had this time last year or the fact you referred to it as "Zorzesque". :lol::boggled:

I’ve only been able to reach 1:46.4 with the 650. In the F1 McLaren I’m at 1:45.4

There are faster ghost in the showcase currently around 1:44.
I will go have another search but I couldn't find any this morning.

I might just pivot to the F1 as I am struggling to get any time out of the 650 like 2 seconds off the pace struggling like hell.

Back