GT4 AI/Hybrid Tools

United Kingdom
Sunderland
Note to mods/admins: Wasn't sure who to contact to check if this is okay, however, I've seen some threads with emulation discussion fly just fine, provided that we don't discuss how to obtain the game/BIOS. Let me know if anything is infringing.

GT4 AI/Hybrid Tools

After a while of researching and tweaking GT4, and realising how fun it is to set custom AI grids in arcade, and hybrid cars on the fly in memory, I realised two things:
1) I'm lazy, and thinking of which cars I want to race against or take parts from is hard with 700+ cars
2) Other people may want to hybrid cars and force their own custom grids, but don't actually know how.

That's where this tool comes in.

Features
Event Synthesizer
upload_2019-10-31_0-39-9.png

Exactly as it says on the tin, and mostly how it works in GT2. This tool allows the user to separately roll a random grid of AI cars (truly random, mind you - expect stuff like an Escudo and a Subaru 360 in the same grid), the player's own car, and track. These are separate which allows some freedom of control - for instance, if you want a random AI grid but to select your own car, or a default AI grid with a manually selected track - it's all possible.

I plan on eventually categorising cars to be used in the rolls, for example being able to select a random grid of JGTC cars, race cars, rally cars, road cars, etc. But this will take some time and is simply on the to-do list.

Custom Event
upload_2019-10-31_0-39-36.png

Same controls as Event Synthesizer, except you control this one, including your own car and track. Why might you want to override those when you can already select them, you may ask? Good question, here's why:
  • Forcing a track that typically restricts you to one AI opponent (e.g. Tsukuba wet, rally courses), then loading a track that allows a 6 car grid, will force that 2-car track to have 6 cars.
  • Forcing your own car allows for restricted cars such as the Model T or Benz Wagons to be used against AI opponents (who can also use them if you so desire)

Hybrids
upload_2019-10-31_0-39-58.png

This is the part I'm pleased with. We can hybrid cars in our save files and save states, but this one allows you to hybrid your selected GT Mode car on the fly. Currently it allows swapping of Drivetrains, Engines, Exhausts, NA Tunes, Superchargers, and Turbos. Every part for every car is listed, and the dirty byte-swapping bits are done in the background, so if you want an AWD NSX with an FGT engine, all you have to do is pick a car with AWD for Drivetrain, the FGT for engine, and apply each.

Misc (Camera Tools)
upload_2019-10-31_0-40-56.png

One thing that always irked me about GT4 was how the car is placed on the screen, and how stiff the camera's attachment to the car is. Using this tool you can adjust the FOV on the fly without even reloading the race (no more car overlapping the G Meter!) and set the camera to be more loosely attached, GT3-style. The tool remembers which settings you applied here so you don't have to keep setting them, just start up, apply and go.

Default FOV (90):
upload_2019-10-31_0-44-10.png

100 FOV:
upload_2019-10-31_0-43-48.png

Disclaimers
Now here are the less exciting parts:
  • Right now it only supports the NTSC (SCUS-97328) version of GT4. PAL support is planned but will take a while.
  • Some situations can cause the game to freeze or quit, such as (potentially) when idling on the main menu and a demo starts to play.
  • The tool is still in development, so please only use this with a save you have properly backed up. It's possible that in some rare cases, values or saves may be corrupted. By using this tool you accept responsibility for any damaged or lost saves. Please back up any saves before using this tool!
  • The tool must be run as administrator as it patches memory. I understand this is iffy for some people, so the source code can be viewed HERE
DOWNLOAD

Last edited:
Created a new release, version 1.1, and moved to Github for hosting.

New features:

Body Swapping:
Certain regional cars can now be swapped to their PAL equivalents!
upload_2019-11-4_20-6-2.png

And a bonus:
upload_2019-11-4_20-6-53.png

The following swaps are available:
  • Marcos Mini Marcos GT '70 -> Mini Cooper 1.3i '98
  • Peugeot 206 Rally Car -> Esso equivalent
  • Opel Calibra Touring Car '94 -> Vauxhall equivalent
  • Opel Corsa Comfort 1.4 '01 -> Vauxhall equivalent
  • Opel Speedster '00 -> Vauxhall eqiuvalent
  • Opel Speedster Turbo '00 -> Vauxhall equivalent
  • Opel Tigra '99 -> Vauxhall equivalent
  • Opel Vectra 3.2 V6 '03 -> Vauxhall equivalent
  • Toyota GT-One Race Car -> Esso equivalent
  • Toyota Castrol Tom's Supra -> Toyota Esso Ultraflo Supra '01 (2001 Tom's was chosen as it's the closest spec and engine match to the Ultraflo)
The interface for doing so is simple:
upload_2019-11-4_20-12-14.png

Unfortunately there is no Esso body for the 905 present, and no Vauxhall body for the Astra Touring car, so those can't be swapped.

The Infinitis/Altezzas are planned at some point.

Last edited:
Doesn't even run. Instead, I get this error message:

upload_2020-1-11_20-48-54.png

But they are in the same directory because I never moved them. Running as administrator does nothing, I get the same error.

I've released a small update that improves the way it detects if you're in a race, now it no longer crashes on the Sony Computer Entertainment screen if the camera hack is already applied, and the random occasional crashes when loading a race seem to be gone too. Link is in the Github releases page linked in the first post. I've removed all attachments from this thread so you can't download an older version.

Is this works on driving missions? or only on arcade mode? tnx.
Should work everywhere, feel free to report to me anywhere it doesn't work. I think I have everything covered but still may be missing something.

Misc (Camera Tools)

One thing that always irked me about GT4 was how the car is placed on the screen, and how stiff the camera's attachment to the car is. Using this tool you can adjust the FOV on the fly without even reloading the race (no more car overlapping the G Meter!) and set the camera to be more loosely attached, GT3-style.

Thank you for making this. I've always wanted a FOV fix and a camera spring fix for as long as I can remember, as it's just one of those little things that put GT3 above GT4 for me. Do you think there could be a GS/AR code equivalent so I can play with these enhancements on a real PS2?

Thank you for making this. I've always wanted a FOV fix and a camera spring fix for as long as I can remember, as it's just one of those little things that put GT3 above GT4 for me. Do you think there could be a GS/AR code equivalent so I can play with these enhancements on a real PS2?
The FOV I don't know for myself, but the loose cam was actually taken from a PS2 code list: https://gamehacking.org/game/103851

Search for "GT3-Like" on that page and you'll get it.

When I go to rescan the game version, I'm always getting this error:

Screenshot (153).png

I'm running on the correct version (SCUS_97328).

It doesn't recognize it sadly.

Screenshot (154).png

Edit: It appears to be working now I believe.

Last edited:
The program doesn't seem to be working for me. I want to use the event synthesizer for arcade mode, but when I start it up it never gives me the right car or track.

The program doesn't seem to be working for me. I want to use the event synthesizer for arcade mode, but when I start it up it never gives me the right car or track.

Would you mind posting which version of GT4 you're playing, and run through how you're trying to use the tool?

Hey there. I am also heaving problem. Using NTSC-U
ELF (cdrom0:\SCUS_973.28;1) Game CRC = 0x77E61C8A
car is recognized in hybrid. So i try to change track ->custom event, (any track) press apply. Start race. Nothing happens. I still drive original game track. Same is with cars. No car change , no ai change either. Nothing seems to affect anything
2 old pcsx2 builds
pcsx2-v1.5.0-dev-1660 and another even older.

Maybe i am doing it wrong?
exe builds points that it is made in 2016. What pcsx2 builds does this tool require?

Last edited:
Hey there. I am also heaving problem. Using NTSC-U
ELF (cdrom0:\SCUS_973.28;1) Game CRC = 0x77E61C8A
car is recognized in hybrid. So i try to change track ->custom event, (any track) press apply. Start race. Nothing happens. I still drive original game track. Same is with cars. No car change , no ai change either. Nothing seems to affect anything
2 old pcsx2 builds
pcsx2-v1.5.0-dev-1660 and another even older.

Maybe i am doing it wrong?
exe builds points that it is made in 2016. What pcsx2 builds does this tool require?
If the hybrids are detected then the courses should just work. Are you trying to swap courses and cars in GT Mode or Arcade? Only Arcade is supported for course swapping.

Also, there seem to be too many issues related to PCSX2's memory management for me to reliably maintain this tool, so unfortunately for now I'm going to have to label it deprecated and unsupported.

If the hybrids are detected then the courses should just work. Are you trying to swap courses and cars in GT Mode or Arcade? Only Arcade is supported for course swapping.

Also, there seem to be too many issues related to PCSX2's memory management for me to reliably maintain this tool, so unfortunately for now I'm going to have to label it deprecated and unsupported.
Is that tool resctriction ?
because i watched videos where guy replaced GT mod map but he isnt responding to comments.

he entered midfield raceway (original courses in gt mod) and map ended up as nurburgrin and even had event points. Unless he faked the video.. But its still weird. It was Deutsche Touring Car event with toyota

P.S yeah i also tried Arcade mod. It didn't affect the track

Last edited:
It's a tool restriction, yes. Swapping cars and tracks in GT Mode is possible but works differently to Arcade, and I didn't put too much effort into researching how it works. I'm focusing on PS3 GT for a while now so I won't be working on anything for GT4 until further notice.

New features:

Body Swapping:

New features:

Body Swapping:
View attachment 862779

And a bonus:
View attachment 862780

• Toyota Castrol Tom's Supra -> Toyota Esso Ultraflo Supra '01 (2001 Tom's was chosen as it's the closest spec and engine match to the Ultraflo)
View attachment 862781

Unfortunately there is no Esso body for the 905 present, and no Vauxhall body for the Astra Touring car, so those can't be swapped.

View attachment 862779

And a bonus:
View attachment 862780

View attachment 862781

Back