GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 31,548 comments
Done that more times than I care to count.
I'm still at a loss to explain what happened. P1 was carrying a bit too much speed and blew the initial corner going into Dragon Trail's multi-apex right-handers. I had less speed and could make the corner(s), but instead, I derped off onto the grass right behind them. 😅

a

It all depends on participation at the time of entry, the game doesn’t always have enough players to make all rooms matched perfectly. It starts filling in empty spots with “the closest fit” as it goes down the list of entries. And remember, under DR B( DR 9,999 or less, it gets wonky on matchmaking be a use of the way it orders numbers under 10k.
Making up numbers to fill a lobby makes perfect sense - high rated players from one group paired with low rated players from the DR group above, but why the serious mismatch when it comes to SR ratings. That just doesn’t make any logical sense. In fact, it’s just really bloody stupid, as the quality of the racing is appalling.

Making up numbers to fill a lobby makes perfect sense - high rated players from one group paired with low rated players from the DR group above, but why the serious mismatch when it comes to SR ratings. That just doesn’t make any logical sense. In fact, it’s just really bloody stupid, as the quality of the racing is appalling.
It’s poor to say the least. I don’t really understand. I’m only mid-C, nowhere near getting to B at the moment, so why am I paired with B/D drivers, just because I managed one fast lap? I wish I could delete my QT at Spa and get back to C/S lobbies where I belong currently. I’ll just race Spa on my Alt account for the rest of the week, and get some practice/preparation in for Watkins Glen GTWS race on Saturday.

It’s poor to say the least. I don’t really understand. I’m only mid-C, nowhere near getting to B at the moment, so why am I paired with B/D drivers, just because I managed one fast lap? I wish I could delete my QT at Spa and get back to C/S lobbies where I belong currently. I’ll just race Spa on my Alt account for the rest of the week, and get some practice/preparation in for Watkins Glen GTWS race on Saturday.
Your Qually time has absolutely nothing to do with match making, and has no bearing on which lobby you’re placed in. SR is the first deciding factor, then DR, and it’s not going to leave a space open in a room, if there is more players to match, it uses up who’s left on the list. That’s where the mismatches come from. If there’s only 3 A+ drivers who signed up for a time slot, they get paired with whoever #4-#16 were on the list. Regardless of Qually or skill level.

Last edited:
Your Qually time has absolutely nothing to do with match making, and has no bearing on which lobby you’re placed in. SR is the first deciding factor, then DR, and it’s not going to leave a space open in a room, if there is more players to match, don’t uses up who’s left on the list. That’s where the mismatches come from. If there’s only 3 A+ drivers who signed up for a time slot, they get paired with whoever #4-#16 were on the list. Regardless of Qually of skill level.
That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Sorry, but that just sounds like a load of BS.

I would suggest (because I do not actually know) that the order of pairing in the lobbies may be... DR, SR, Quali time

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Sorry, but that just sounds like a load of BS.

I would suggest (because I do not actually know) that the order of pairing in the lobbies may be... DR, SR, Quali time
You can believe it or not, but that’s how it works, @Famine can confirm if he see’s this. Qually time has nothing at all to do with matchmaking.

GT7's matchmaking ordering is strictly (DR letter)->(SR)->(DR raw value). So if you reach the top of B, you start getting put with A-rank DR, bad SR drivers that you have to clear before you hit low A rank DR, S SR drivers.

This is why the streamers have what they call "flop split" - they're all A+, and if they have a race that hurts their SR, they get put to the bottom of the A+s in matchmaking which puts them in races with the top A rank drivers, but they don't fall any further in the matchmaking order than that.

GT7's matchmaking ordering is strictly (DR letter)->(SR)->(DR raw value). So if you reach the top of B, you start getting put with A-rank DR, bad SR drivers that you have to clear before you hit low A rank DR, S SR drivers.

This is why the streamers have what they call "flop split" - they're all A+, and if they have a race that hurts their SR, they get put to the bottom of the A+s in matchmaking which puts them in races with the top A rank drivers, but they don't fall any further in the matchmaking order than that.
That’s the “naughty”, or sub 90 SR S range. 80-89 SR is still S, but it’s the lower tier of SR S, above 90 SR gets you back into the good lobbies again. Which is also what proves that SR is the first criteria taken into matchmaking.

IMG_5702.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow I'm shocked, Le Mans in the A slot?

I have not played gt7 since Tuesday morning. I had to help my mom a lot the past 2 weeks, and I'm utterly exhausted from it all. I gotta get my strength up and get back into the racing. I hope there is a hyper car or a Group 1 cup for Le Mans because that would be sweet and fun/addicting to do.

She's feeling better, I had to cook extra meals for her and bring her stuff in the bedroom, as she was on bedrest for 2 weeks meaning she couldn't get up hardly at all. I had to bring her food, water and supplies.

Wish me luck this next week.

That’s the “naughty”, or sub 90 SR S range. 80-89 SR is still S, but it’s the lower tier of SR S, above 90 SR gets you back into the good lobbies again. Which is also what proves that SR is the first criteria taken into matchmaking.

View attachment 1348164

This is what I'm struggling to understand. If it matches on a SR first basis, you should only be matched with those either in your SR cat or those in cats either immediately above or below you. To have anyone more than 1 cat away would mean that there are less than 16 people in your region of the same SR Cat in the lobbies, which I find hard to believe.
If I'm full SR/S mid DR/C how do I end up in a lobby with SR/D DR/B drivers?

Lobby I was in yesterday…
IMG_2060.jpeg

Last edited:
This is what I'm struggling to understand. If it matches on a SR first basis, you should only be matched with those either in your SR cat or those in cats either immediately above or below you. To have anyone more than 1 cat away would mean that there are less than 16 people in your region of the same SR Cat in the lobbies, which I find hard to believe.

View attachment 1348171
My guess would be that your SR wasn’t actually above 90, does it update immediately in game after a race? Or is it delayed.

You can believe it or not, but that’s how it works, @Famine can confirm if he see’s this. Qually time has nothing at all to do with matchmaking.
Well, perhaps @Famine would like to jump in and educate us all on the facts of the matter. And, Pigems, if you're going to offer up proof and/or evidence then try pointing us all to the specific factual detail, not what @Famine thinks he recalls. If his 'thinking he recalls correctly' is the basis for lobby selection, then how do SR C & D drivers end up racing SR S drivers. For now, I stand by my statement... BS!

My guess would be that your SR wasn’t actually above 90, does it update immediately in game after a race? Or is it delayed.
There is a delay between when it updates usually. If you quit for example it usually doesn't update until the lobby you were in finishes
Well, perhaps @Famine would like to jump in and educate us all on the facts of the matter. And, Pigems, if you're going to offer up proof and/or evidence then try pointing us all to the specific factual detail, not what @Famine thinks he recalls. If his 'thinking he recalls correctly' is the basis for lobby selection, then how do SR C & D drivers end up racing SR S drivers. For now, I stand by my statement... BS!
wrong side of the bed this morning?

Because that's all that was available at the time to form that lobby...

Clearly the game has an overlap tolerance between levels and probably looks at recent race performance as well when deciding to group people together.

Edit:

Literally says in the game "similar" not exactly the same skill level people

IMG_0350.jpeg

Lobby sorting

IMG_0351.jpeg

Last edited:
wrong side of the bed this morning?
HA ha... not at all :) People are obviously interested in this subject about what can occur when lobbies are formulated which, often, can make no sense. So, if someone puts out info as fact, when it clearly is not, then it's BS. Pigems clearly stated that quali times are irrelevent - "Qually time has absolutely nothing to do with match making" Seriously? 😂

What would be great is if someone, who actually knows the facts pertaining to lobby selection, can tell us what the real story is.

HA ha... not at all :) People are obviously interested in this subject about what can occur when lobbies are formulated which, often, can make no sense. So, if someone puts out info as fact, when it clearly is not, then it's BS. Pigems clearly stated that quali times are irrelevent - "Qually time has absolutely nothing to do with match making" Seriously? 😂

What would be great is if someone, who actually knows the facts pertaining to lobby selection, can tell us what the real story is.
It doesn't have anything to do with match making, it's just how a group of matched players in a lobby are ordered.

Edit that's why the lobbies aren't everyone in ascending order of 1/1000 increments.

Last edited:

View attachment 1348171
Think of it as one big ladder that gets cut into 16-step segments (or 12 for daily A).

A+/S
A+/A
A/S
A/A
A/B
B/S
B/A
B/B
B/C
B/D
C/S

So in this example, if this was split 11 for instance, there would be 160 players above consisting of DR A+/A, and DR B, SR S/A/B. Then the 161st highest player on the ladder would be one of the DR B, SR Cs on the ladder, and 161-176th would be the people in your lobby, first the DR B, SR C, then the DR B, SR D, then the top of DR C, SR S.

Next week

A: Le Man SH
B: Trial Mountain RH
C: Lago Maggorie Center RH 1 mandatory stop.

Guessing

A: road car/hyper car
B: Gr3
C: Gr4
As B is Gr3 / C is Gr4 at the moment, I hope they reverse that for next week. I think we've had the Maggiore Centre Gr3 before and it was good fun.

As B is Gr3 / C is Gr4 at the moment, I hope they reverse that for next week. I think we've had the Maggiore Centre Gr3 before and it was good fun.
Same here, although a few weeks ago they kept them the same for B & C IIRC

Edit:

@Talon16 same. I think for such a long lap it needs to be something reasonably fast. Even in Gr1 it's a 3 1/2 mins

That said it could be something crazy like Tesla model 3s knowing PD 🤣

Car settings is on as well...

IMG_0347.png

Last edited:
Think of it as one big ladder that gets cut into 16-step segments (or 12 for daily A).

A+/S
A+/A
A/S
A/A
A/B
B/S
B/A
B/B
B/C
B/D
C/S

So in this example, if this was split 11 for instance, there would be 160 players above consisting of DR A+/A, and DR B, SR S/A/B. Then the 161st highest player on the ladder would be one of the DR B, SR Cs on the ladder, and 161-176th would be the people in your lobby, first the DR B, SR C, then the DR B, SR D, then the top of DR C, SR S.
That would be correct IF matching was on a DR first basis. The information quotes by @Pigems states it's SR first, in which case it should rank and assign as follows...

SR/DR
S/S
S/A+
S/A
S/B
S/C
S/D
S/E (not actually possible)
A/S
A/A+
A/A
A/B
A/C
A/D
B/S
B/A+
B/B
B/E
C/S
C/A+
C/E
D/S
D/A+
D/D

On that basis as an SR/S-DR/C driver I should not be in lobbies with SR/D-DR-B drivers.

Personally I'm not humpy about it, just interested to understand how it works. :)

Last edited:
The main thing to remember is it depends on players available

If there was only 16 players online in Europe they would all be in the same lobby because that's all that is available.

The info I posted was info from a user named Sven Jergens, that he collected over his 10k races in GT Sport. It’s not someone’s opinion, he kept race by race data and used to post it here. I just can’t find all of his old posts is all. Since you want to get your arse up in the air and all.

I’ll bet you $100 USD right now, that Qually time has absolutely nothing to do with matchmaking, other then grid ordering once assigned to a lobby.

Last edited:
That would be correct IF matching was on a DR first basis. The information quotes by @Pigems states it's SR first, in which case it should rank and assign as follows...

SR/DR
S/S
S/A+
S/A
S/B
S/C
S/D
S/E (not actually possible)
A/S
A/A+
A/A
A/B
A/C
A/D
B/S
B/A+
B/B
B/E
C/S
C/A+
C/E
D/S
D/A+
D/D

On that basis as an SR/S-DR/C driver I should not be in lobbies with SR/D-DR-B drivers.

Personally I'm not humpy about it, just interested to understand how it works. :)
They don’t use the DR numbers in proper numerical order, it’s like the number is spelled out, and then listed alphabetically, or something like that. So DR numbers under 9,999 DR, get out of order at times, making matches a bit worse in those cases.

Last edited:
Same here, although a few weeks ago they kept them the same for B & C IIRC

Edit:

@Talon16 same. I think for such a long lap it needs to be something reasonably fast. Even in Gr1 it's a 3 1/2 mins

That said it could be something crazy like Tesla model 3s knowing PD 🤣

Car settings is on as well...

View attachment 1348189
I'd love to do Le Mans with a tuned up Renault 4...😆

Back