GT7 is compatible with motion rig ?

• Thread starter poumpoum
  • 683 comments
Yeah it seems even if I tell the system to use a custom boundary that is many feet beyond where my head could even lean toward, it defaults to the 'sitting only' position option when in GT7 đź‘Ž That's lame and lazy, let's hope they increase that area by maybe a foot in every direction.

Jerome
After avoiding formula cars for months I had another go, I found a work around, turn off or decrease roll and lat g. No more green cage. Another fix is leave roll and lat g alone and decrease max angle to about 40.

After avoiding formula cars for months I had another go, I found a work around, turn off or decrease roll and lat g. No more green cage. Another fix is leave roll and lat g alone and decrease max angle to about 40.
I may try to change the Max Angle to 40, that sounds promising, thanks buddy!

Jerome

Let me know how it goes.
How are you finding the rig now you've had it for a while?
I haven't touched it since May 1st because a certain game leaked online :lol: And said game always takes top priority when it comes out. But I'm nearly done with my 2nd play through of TOTK, so I'll hop back into it soon. But after the initial 'growing pains', it was sublime. Well worth the money. I haven't even tried a flight sim yet, but also SOON :P

Jerome

Last edited:
Hi all,

Time for an update.

I've since added the SRS wind kit, th8a shifter, and received the 3d-sim pedal rumblers.

I'm finding the lighting is key to green bars of death, as someone noted. Nighttime with a room light on, I rarely get instances of pausing or out of frame issues - daytime with light bleed through the blinds, I can't go 10 seconds without a complete lockout and zone reset.

But part of that is the profile setting is just better. I've tweaked with the profile settings some more and found a really medium, I think, for DOF 3 sfu units - will include in this post on an edit later tonight. Works for about 75% of the cars and tracks. Am going to keep a little library for the other 25% (Porsche 911, high camber tracks, heavy cars, etc.) and will post here as they get sorted.

I had a strange instance where the rig was on but the game had a sudden power off (thanks kid for pulling the power cord) and the motion rig was set on a hard angle yaw as the default. Under braking the yaw would slide right and under acceleration slide left, the motion also wasn't right to movements (me playing with a controller on the floor watching the seat). Ended up updating the firmware on the DOF units, rebalancing, debugging, etc. Nothing changed it. Finally went through SRS and tested all the range of motion in the hardware profile page - went from 0 to 100 to 0 to -100 to 0 for each vector. Saved, and voila, works like new.

The SRS wind kit is really cool although I haven't figured out its logic yet. I also suspect one of the fans is stronger than the other? When on the same setting (L/R) at the same power output, one is spinning noticeably faster than the other. I cannot get the curving effect to work either, both are spinning at the same speed when turning. Each car needs its own tuned profile just like motion. I had a really nice general setting for an X Bow going - was an absolute hoot! Same goes for bumping around in a 356 GT or any convertible for that matter. Otherwise I use it as an a/c experience in all other cars, set to on steady state at about 17% power, and enjoy the cooler temps; it's a great luxury with the headset on.

Lastly on the 3D-sim pedal rumblers. I hooked them up to the t-lcm pedals, they work fine under hardware test in SRS (using an older version in magicbox) however once I start GT7, they buzz for one second then go dead and won't come back on, even unplugging it, disconnecting power, etc. I need to restart the magicbox SRS unit (power off/on) and be out of GT7 for it to recognize the pedal rumblers again.

I've also tried connecting the pedal rumblers, doing the test check, then dis-enabling them, starting GT7 and re-nabling them (thinking maybe the intro or race start jump in data was overloading the units?) but no luck there either. They neither work in test nor do they do anything once the game has started. Any info, suggestions or help on this would be appreciated although I don't see wheel lock up as an option on SRS for a data point for the pedal rumblers (mostly long g accel/deaccel, engine rumble, shifts) but doesn't the GT telemetry include ABS? I'm thinking since the controller vibrates when you lock up the wheels there has gotta be some sort of data point for it, no? I'd happily provide a modest reward (case of beer?) to anyone that can figure that out and we can get it updated in SRS.

Edit: here is a motion profile (H3 SFU) I use for the Porsche 962 for the 30 min Le Mans track. If you're going to run the car full power, I'd lower the overall boost a few points:
motion 1.png

motion 2.png

Alright, profile to come in a few.

Last edited:
Hello again !
Thanks to the help of the community my XSim plugin has been on-line for some time now, with some happy users :)
One of them draw my attention on a stange behavior on forces I calculate based on local velocity that is calculated from world velocity.
In my latest release, I swithed to numpy and scipy to get better and faster results. I initially thought this could be the issue, so I did a comparison between version 1.2 and version 1.5 with numpy and scipy:
1689324481162.png

Results are consistent with/wihout numpy and scikit (velocities in km/h here)

When it comes to z acceleration, it is another story:

1689324597990.png
The calculation is pretty straightforward:
upon packet received:
ts = datetime.datetime.now() delta = ts - previousts previousts = ts if delta.microseconds != 0: accel_x = ((Local_Velocity[0] - previous_local_velocity[0]) * 1000000 / delta.microseconds) / 9.81 accel_y = ((Local_Velocity[1] - previous_local_velocity[1]) * 1000000 / delta.microseconds) / 9.81 accel_z = ((Local_Velocity[2] - previous_local_velocity[2]) * 1000000 / delta.microseconds) / 9.81 previous_local_velocity = Local_Velocity

I guess one of the issues is the lack of timing provided by telemetry data, requiring to use local timing . If the PC is busy doing something else, then time will skew.
I read the posts on lap time, but couldnt figure out how to use it in an efficient way. Do you have any idea on how to get accurate forces ?

Happy summer to everyone !

Last edited:
to get sensible results in i2, I used 1/60s as the delta between packets rather than relying on when they arrived. I also calculated the deltav a little differently by first finding the world deltav, then rotating that into the local co-ordinate frame e.g.

Code:
# mult the world deltav with the rotation to get local deltav
deltav = (currp.velocity - lastp.velocity) * currp.rotation

glat = deltav.x * freq / 9.8 # X
gvert = deltav.y * freq / 9.8 # Y
glong = deltav.z * freq / 9.8 # Z

You can get the full context here: https://github.com/GeekyDeaks/sim-t...8a086098796630790/stm/gt7/logger.py#L165-L170

One final thing. I found that I had to unpack the rotation quaternion as w,x,y,z to get sensible results, but the general consensus of the group here is that it should be unpacked x,y,z,w - so feel free to take my suggestions with a pinch of salt.... :)

One final thing. I found that I had to unpack the rotation quaternion as w,x,y,z to get sensible results, but the general consensus of the group here is that it should be unpacked x,y,z,w - so feel free to take my suggestions with a pinch of salt.... :)
Yeah, the scalar part is definitely last (so the order is x,y,z,w). This can be seen by examining the motion-platform software that @poumpoum discovered - the scalar part is the only component that isn't used in the diagonal of the orientation matrix when expressed in terms of quaternion components (in the 1 - 2(a^2-b^2) form used there) so no guesswork involved here.

Last edited:
Hi forum!
Have somebody already tried to transform telemetry coordinates to real-world coordinates so we can display track on top of satellite imagery?
If no maybe I'll give it a try.

Hi forum!
Have somebody already tried to transform telemetry coordinates to real-world coordinates so we can display track on top of satellite imagery?
If no maybe I'll give it a try.
Not that I am aware of. Keep in mind that there are many fantasy tracks :)

Okay, I have some promising results here.
TODO: figure out how to export coordinate system transformation, so it could be applied to other telemetry file.
Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 17.55.51.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 17.56.48.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 17.56.48.png
    348.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 17.56.17.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 17.56.17.png
    249.1 KB · Views: 35
Okay, I have some promising results here.
TODO: figure out how to export coordinate system transformation, so it could be applied to other telemetry file.
View attachment 1279831
That was quick. Do you have some code to share?

Have you had a look at the details of the track? Is the line on point? I think most would use this for line analysis where centimeters matter.

just thinking a little here and dont know the answer but in the data I see we have Tire Radius FL,FR,RL,RR

Has anyone checked this to see if the radius decreases if tyre wear is enabled?

So now I have telemetry coordinate transformations for Spa and Mt. Panorama.

1. Install python, GDAL and QGIS (brew install gdal)
2. Record telemetry to csv: python3 ./gt7csv.py $PS_IP
3. Convert to world coordinates: ./convert-mt-panorama.sh ../data/20230817_135642.csv
4. Open satellite map in QGIS: https://opensourceoptions.com/blog/how-to-add-google-satellite-imagery-and-google-maps-to-qgis/
5. Open .csv.gpkg in QGIS
6. Apply style based on speed parameter (Layer context menu -> Parameters... -> Symbology)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 14.01.27.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 14.01.27.png
    372.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 14.02.10.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 14.02.10.png
    341.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 14.01.42.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 14.01.42.png
    309.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 14.08.01.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 14.08.01.png
    66.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
C_L
Hi all,

Time for an update.

I've since added the SRS wind kit, th8a shifter, and received the 3d-sim pedal rumblers.

I'm finding the lighting is key to green bars of death, as someone noted. Nighttime with a room light on, I rarely get instances of pausing or out of frame issues - daytime with light bleed through the blinds, I can't go 10 seconds without a complete lockout and zone reset.

But part of that is the profile setting is just better. I've tweaked with the profile settings some more and found a really medium, I think, for DOF 3 sfu units - will include in this post on an edit later tonight. Works for about 75% of the cars and tracks. Am going to keep a little library for the other 25% (Porsche 911, high camber tracks, heavy cars, etc.) and will post here as they get sorted.

I had a strange instance where the rig was on but the game had a sudden power off (thanks kid for pulling the power cord) and the motion rig was set on a hard angle yaw as the default. Under braking the yaw would slide right and under acceleration slide left, the motion also wasn't right to movements (me playing with a controller on the floor watching the seat). Ended up updating the firmware on the DOF units, rebalancing, debugging, etc. Nothing changed it. Finally went through SRS and tested all the range of motion in the hardware profile page - went from 0 to 100 to 0 to -100 to 0 for each vector. Saved, and voila, works like new.

The SRS wind kit is really cool although I haven't figured out its logic yet. I also suspect one of the fans is stronger than the other? When on the same setting (L/R) at the same power output, one is spinning noticeably faster than the other. I cannot get the curving effect to work either, both are spinning at the same speed when turning. Each car needs its own tuned profile just like motion. I had a really nice general setting for an X Bow going - was an absolute hoot! Same goes for bumping around in a 356 GT or any convertible for that matter. Otherwise I use it as an a/c experience in all other cars, set to on steady state at about 17% power, and enjoy the cooler temps; it's a great luxury with the headset on.

Lastly on the 3D-sim pedal rumblers. I hooked them up to the t-lcm pedals, they work fine under hardware test in SRS (using an older version in magicbox) however once I start GT7, they buzz for one second then go dead and won't come back on, even unplugging it, disconnecting power, etc. I need to restart the magicbox SRS unit (power off/on) and be out of GT7 for it to recognize the pedal rumblers again.

I've also tried connecting the pedal rumblers, doing the test check, then dis-enabling them, starting GT7 and re-nabling them (thinking maybe the intro or race start jump in data was overloading the units?) but no luck there either. They neither work in test nor do they do anything once the game has started. Any info, suggestions or help on this would be appreciated although I don't see wheel lock up as an option on SRS for a data point for the pedal rumblers (mostly long g accel/deaccel, engine rumble, shifts) but doesn't the GT telemetry include ABS? I'm thinking since the controller vibrates when you lock up the wheels there has gotta be some sort of data point for it, no? I'd happily provide a modest reward (case of beer?) to anyone that can figure that out and we can get it updated in SRS.

Edit: here is a motion profile (H3 SFU) I use for the Porsche 962 for the 30 min Le Mans track. If you're going to run the car full power, I'd lower the overall boost a few points:View attachment 1267712
View attachment 1267713
Alright, profile to come in a few.
I've got sim3d rumblers on pedals and seat. Had to use second laptop and sim hub to get them working, but they are fantastic. So srs on one pc for dof p3 and other pc for simhub and rumble motors, waiting on sim3d fans and larger rumble motor for seat/frame to show up.

Last edited:
So now I have telemetry coordinate transformations for Spa and Mt. Panorama.

1. Install python, GDAL and QGIS (brew install gdal)
2. Record telemetry to csv: python3 ./gt7csv.py $PS_IP
3. Convert to world coordinates: ./convert-mt-panorama.sh ../data/20230817_135642.csv
4. Open satellite map in QGIS: https://opensourceoptions.com/blog/how-to-add-google-satellite-imagery-and-google-maps-to-qgis/
5. Open .csv.gpkg in QGIS
6. Apply style based on speed parameter (Layer context menu -> Parameters... -> Symbology)
Yes, Yes, I likey muchly.

I've got sim3d rumblers on pedals and seat. Had to use second laptop and sim hub to get them working, but they are fantastic. So srs on one pc for dof p3 and other pc for simhub and rumble motors, waiting on sim3d fans and larger rumble motor for seat/frame to show up.
Hi STAFTURBO - yes, I also got the pedal rumbler to work. I reached out to SRS about my issue, they got back quickly. I ended up trying out various iterations of play (turning items on before game start, after game start, one by one, etc.) and found a solution if that game was running already and I initiated SRS, then connected rumblers, they would work. Shortly after there was an SRS version update and now everything works right from the onset, no mickey mouse on/off/on ritual - unsure if that's related but glad it's all working as it should. I am running everything through the DOF magicbox (rasp. pi) with a specific SRS software version for it.

I still have a general hurricane wind fan hiccup but it is completely livable and I do not want to bother SRS right now chasing down a small inconvenience. Happy to be turning laps as is.

Do these sim motion rigs not translate GT7 telemetry via simhub to for vibrations or micro-movements to simulate vibrations of road feels or a rumbling engine? Or are the motors unable to replicate these finer details unlike a tactile transducer?

Reading these threads is bad for my wallet.

I recently picked up GT7 a month ago...then PS VR2...then upgraded my wheels to Logitech G Pro Wheel and pedals....then added simhub/app/4 bass shakers...now looking at the DOF H2 or H3. When is this gonna end? Lol

Do these sim motion rigs not translate GT7 telemetry via simhub to for vibrations or micro-movements to simulate vibrations of road feels or a rumbling engine? Or are the motors unable to replicate these finer details unlike a tactile transducer?

I recently picked up GT7 a month ago...then PS VR2...then upgraded my wheels to Logitech G Pro Wheel and pedals....then added simhub/app/4 bass shakers...now looking at the DOF H2 or H3. When is this gonna end? Lol
It doesn't end. I just picked up the QR2 because reasons, heheh.

Jerome

It doesn't end. I just picked up the QR2 because reasons, heheh.

Jerome
Yeah, i can see that. I can't wait for the next generation of console/VR if the PSVR2 with GT7 is this good already.

I guess I should've read the FAQ on DOF Reality's website:
Motors or actuators can’t reproduce rumble frequencies 15-200 Hz just due to physics. This simulation can add realism in flight simulation as well as for racing when you feel the engine RPMs and driving surface. If you are looking for this type of simulation, you definitely need Bodyshaker, Bass Shaker, or Buttkicker. There is a ton of advice on the subject on the flight and race simulator forums and blogs.

I have P3, rumble motors on pedles, haptics on seat and vr. It all adds to the experience.

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed any changes to the data coming from the game since the 1.40 update??
I haven't raced in a couple months cause of a foot surgery I had and it feels the same to me from what I remember. If there is a difference, I'm not noticing it.

Jerome

Has anyone noticed any changes to the data coming from the game since the 1.40 update??

Yes, I run the RS Mega+, with Thanos and GT7 1.4 update has pretty much broken the motion now, as its far too jerky, no amount of changing settings makes it usable!
I thought it was me so booted up Forza Motosport 8 and boy that was smooth and immersive, tried GT7 again and its totally broken! :-(

Back