GTP Cool Wall: 1971-1973 Buick Riviera

1971-1973 Buick Riviera

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You're out of your noggin as usual. You do realize that every freaking muscle car since 1964 came with a high-performance automatic option? And that these were, in most average-guy cases, way better than anyone rowing a 4 speed this side of Ronnie Sox? Yes, it isn't as romantic, but they got the job done and were even quicker than a manual trans car.

And in the case of the Riviera, the thing isn't if it's not powerful enough or not, it's that it's a freaking luxury car, dammit. In a luxury car you don't want to row gears, you want to cruise peacefully, in comfort and syle. Thus, an automatic.

Also, the Riviera has been a stapple of the custom movement since day one. I'm glad it never veered too much into lowrider territory.
Some of those automatics were so good that they are still being used today. Look at the C4 auto from Ford. They still use that in the modern Cobra Jet.

But yes. I couldn't agree with this post anymore. I want to like it a thousand times.

My parents had one of these. My dad loved it and wishes he had it back (although he did admit that his '68 Coronet R/T and his 340 powered Plymouth Duster would both take priority over it). Mom, on the other hand, got trolled hard in this car because of what my dad did to it after she made a mistake driving it. She didn't notice his troll job for a while until dad was laughing at her! :lol: Sub-Zero. Absolutely one of my favorite cars from this era.

You're out of your noggin as usual. You do realize that every freaking muscle car since 1964 came with a high-performance automatic option? And that these were, in most average-guy cases, way better than anyone rowing a 4 speed this side of Ronnie Sox? Yes, it isn't as romantic, but they got the job done and were even quicker than a manual trans car.

And in the case of the Riviera, the thing isn't if it's not powerful enough or not, it's that it's a freaking luxury car, dammit. In a luxury car you don't want to row gears, you want to cruise peacefully, in comfort and syle. Thus, an automatic.

Also, the Riviera has been a stapple of the custom movement since day one. I'm glad it never veered too much into lowrider territory.

Well excuse me, I don't usually read history of cars that much and I mostly care at looking at great cars from the past. Like I said, I mostly have time for playing rather than searching too much. Deal with it. I am not even mad anymore I was off my damn rocker again. I jsut don't care anymore.

Well excuse me, I don't usually read history of cars that much and I mostly care at looking at great cars from the past. Like I said, I mostly have time for playing rather than searching too much. Deal with it. I am not even mad anymore I was off my damn rocker again. I jsut don't care anymore.
Maybe you should so you don't keep posting ludicrous statements.

Like I said, I mostly have time for playing rather than searching too much. Deal with it.

If you don't want to spend the time to research, then maybe you should realize the limits of your knowledge and refrain from making off-the-wall comments around here.

Edit: tree'd by @Slash.

Exactly. All this "underpowered" and "not a manual" stuff is impossible. You'd think by now people would understand that these were not muscle cars, these were luxury cars. Yes, they were offered with big V8s because that's what existed back in the day and because they needed it because they were heavy and rode like a cloud, they were not performance cars. You didn't want to do burnouts in these, you didn't want to powershift, the idiotic thought that anything american from this era should be a muscle car is all-too present in here, and it's so sad.

I stand corrected. This particular generation of Riviera is still too big and too ugly for me to consider it cool, though.

A first generation, now that's a different story. It's amazing the difference a nose makes.

I actually hate the rear of this car, the front is a lot better in my opinion. Overall, it's an American barge with very little style and just enough power to get the thing anywhere, uncool.

Right up there with the '64 Impala for iconic lowrider status, because of that I'll go with a solid cool.

@SVX and me saw one of these today. They look a thousand times better in person, the lines actually work. Photos really don't do it justice.

@SVX and me saw one of these today. They look a thousand times better in person, the lines actually work. Photos really don't do it justice.

Indeed they do, the car as a whole looks way more sleek and aggressive.

There's so many cars that look better in person.

But it's not quite as much of a transformation for most cars. I didn't like the Riviera in images because the middle/rear wheel arch ruined it (though I liked the back). Looked great when I saw it.

But it's not quite as much of a transformation for most cars. I didn't like the Riviera in images because the middle/rear wheel arch ruined it (though I liked the back). Looked great when I saw it.
I felt the same way about Mustang II's, Rancheros and a few other 70s Fords actually. The first time I ever saw a nice II upclose and personal I nearly needed a change of pants.

Latest Posts

Back