Australia
Australia
great-wall-motor-ora-haomao-es11-exterior-hevcars-1.jpg

great-wall-motor-ora-haomao-es11-exterior-hevcars-13.jpg

ora-punk-cat-2.jpg

great-wall-motor-ora-haomao-es11-interior-hevcars-11.jpg

ora-lightning-cat-2.jpg

Love the names.

Hate to get political but I'm not a fan of the amount of influence Australia accepts from China. Pretty sure Chinese cars are going to be an utter flop in the US which is why they haven't bothered yet.

That said, the Lightning Cat is actually kinda cool looking? Its looks more Porsche than a Panamera lol. Looks like a Porsche sedan concept from 2005 or something and I don't hate it at all.

GWM's pick-up trucks have been on sale for quite some time down here in South Africa. They are... fairly okay, I suppose, for what they cost.

These EVs look like a major step-up compared to their pick-up offerings, I have to say. Not a huge fan of the Porsche-aping designs, but still colour me intrigued. If they come to South Africa at all, that is.

Hate to get political but I'm not a fan of the amount of influence Australia accepts from China. Pretty sure Chinese cars are going to be an utter flop in the US which is why they haven't bothered yet.

That said, the Lightning Cat is actually kinda cool looking? Its looks more Porsche than a Panamera lol. Looks like a Porsche sedan concept from 2005 or something and I don't hate it at all.
That's a bit of the sad thing since I've been living here. Many people shop on price and I'm not talking low price with quality. The Great Wall utes were based on old Colorados. That got them in the door for about $17,000-$19,000. The Isuzu looking SUV was so cheap inside, you couldn't give me one with a boot load of money in the back. People still bought them though.
The offerings they have now, look very upscale. Keep making them cheap, money and quality wise, people will jump on them.

All MG models undercut so many brands, it's a no-brainer to buy one by cash or pay off in a few years(one of my nieces just bought an MG3). These GWM EVs, would open the door for younger buyers to get in the market.

I think right now, no one in the US cares about China cars because it'll be a while before they come AND it'll be even longer for Americans to accept.

There will be strong philosophical and psychological impedements to accepting a China car.

Further while I can accept a LDV or even an MG or Haval its a long day before you will accept a "Great Wall" or even a BYD or Dong Feng or whatever the hell they think westerners will accept.

Here's an example... if you have MG making cars in Thailand then is that acceptable???

The $55k Ranger I drive at work is made in Thailand.

For the West and Japan its good that the Chinese importers here are useful as a bag of rocks because post sales support has been pretty dire for all China brands.

But for me, I can see that it'll be fairly quick when the Chinese are making 5 star safety cars where you get a 7-10yr warranty and your price you're getting a top spec car with stuff you just cant get in a Japanese or Korean car and they have good post sales support,

Whether they can deliever that before 2030 is another matter. Further the Chinese are good at battery tech.

My question would be....

Can you find a competitor for say $50,000 aud that has the same spec and warranty and outperforms this?

Is there a turbo 2.0 four w/ 7 spd dual clutch SUV that has 7yrs on it for $50k?

This car is under $40,000.

I like the Big Dog.

unfortunately the chinese are doing things that I like here... everyone else is going to CVTs... but here... ZF torque converter or a 7 spd dct

everyone else is giving you a 2.0 n/a four cyl. fwd... for $35,000

how is that acceptable?? gwm gives you a turbo 4 instead

I feel like that "Tank" is getting to the point where the price is getting to be questionable. $48k-$62k... for a chinese car????

That's a big friggin' ask.

I can accept under $40k.

Last edited:
I would imagine the Aust unit is tweaked.

The 0-50 in 6.5 is odd as is the 100km/h top speed.

It does have 300km range though.

It would do for last mile delivery?

Well, in my area, top speed is 60kmh. Down to 40 with the tram and 30 through the foreshore. I think because it's so slow, besides reading the specs, people will wonder why it doesn't have the pep of other EVs.

Definitely a local delivery vehicle. Only 15. They will be a rare sight.

Chinese car brands in general have been getting a surprising amount of attention over here in the GCC lately. Not only dealerships & social media influencers have been heavily marketing brands like Geely's, GACs and MGs but the whole "it's cheaper than the rest" appeal have definitely pushed more people into buying them. It's kinda like Toyota's during the 70s or Hyundai's in the 2000s.

As of now, Changan is now outselling Chevrolet, KIA and Ford in a neighbor country to mine. Mind you, GM in particular have always held a strong foot hold in the market ever since cars became a thing here. To see some obscure brand that no one here have ever heard of prior to 2015 is insane. Of course, a lot are skeptical of the reliability and build quality of said brands.

Do they plan on coming up with their own design language any time soon, or is the business plan to keep stealing the designs from other brands?
This is why I can't take Chinese cars seriously. Not only do they often rip design cues from other brands but I can't imagine the build quality of these chinese knock-offs are that good. Lest not we mention the potential security risks of using one of their cars, given that they're heavily reliant on computers.

Last edited:

2023 GWM Ora drive-away pricing*:

State/territoryStandard RangeExtended RangeGT
ACT$45,137$49,137$54,637
NSW$45,550$49,550$55,050
NT$44,490$48,490$54,125
QLD$46,114$50,194$55,804
SA$46,891$51,051$56,771
TAS$45,090$49,090$54,590
VIC$47,234$51,402$57,138
WA$47,891$52,403$58,405

The budget busting EV will cost less than $100 per visit to the service department for the first five years of ownership, gifting the Ora with the title of one of the most competitively priced CPS programs in the county.

GWM says the deal undercuts the CPS pricing of all electric vehicle competitors within a similar price bracket.

Service intervals for the GWM Ora are pegged at 12 months or 15,000km (whichever comes first) and can be undertaken at any one of the importer’s 84 dealerships nationwide.

The five-star ANCAP rated GWM Ora is priced from $44,490 drive away locally and is backed by a seven-year/unlimited-kilometre warranty with five-year roadside assistance coverage.

First shipments of the five-door model – which is sold in other markets as the Ora Good Cat or Funky Cat – are expected in showrooms this month. The vehicle will be known simply as the GWM Ora in the Australia and New Zealand markets.

Available with two battery options, a 48kWh unit offering 310km driving range (WLTP) or a 63kWh unit offering 420km (WLTP), the Ora may be charged from 10 to 80 per cent in as little as 41 minutes.

Power outputs are listed at 126kW and 250Nm, delivered to the front wheels, with selectable one-pedal operation. For comparison, the MG ZS EV sends 130kW and 280Nm to its front wheels and has a 320km claimed range.

The GWM Ora is comparable in size to the Nissan Leaf (priced from $50,990 + ORC with outputs of 110kW/320Nm and 270km claimed range), measuring 4235mm long, 1603mm high, 1825mm wide and with a wheelbase of 2650mm.

Offered in three grades – Ora Standard Range, Ora Extended Range and Ora GT (to be available at a later time) – the line-up includes a long list of standard equipment and “almost every conceivable safety feature” as standard, says GWM Australia.

Safety equipment across all variants includes seven airbags, rear parking sensors, auto emergency braking (with pedestrian, cyclist and crossing detection), adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go function, blind-spot monitoring and lane change assist, forward collision warning, lane departure warning, lane-keep assist, lane centre keeping, emergency lane keep, rear cross-traffic alert, traffic sign recognition and camera-based driver drowsiness detection.

The GWM Ora range is available in a choice of five exterior two-tone colours: Hamilton White, Sun Black, Glacier Blue, Mars Red and Aurora Green. Except for Hamilton White, all paint hues attract a $595 premium.

Proof that that fascia Porsche developed for the 997 was basically perfect and looks good on anything.

True, but the 997 is the one that started the central grille flanked by vertical slots with large stacked grilles on the flanks and the cute lil hood vent. All three gens are evolutions and they all look fantastic. I think it might be the most iconic Porsche fascia of all time because people put reps on all sorts of cars, especially Caymans and Boxsters.

s-l1600.jpg

Bwooaaahh.

Seeing quite good many Ora on the road. I guess that low service cost and its not too bad looks are getting people in the door and out in traffic.

Now the Tank are popping up on the streets. Looks a bit different. Cant mistake it for a Jeep due to front clip.

Back