Jaguar F-Type. Damn.

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 539 comments

McLaren

Premium
United States
Texas
Jaguar's new entry-level production car with a new 375bhp 3.0-liter V6 will debut at Frankfurt later this month.
jaguar_c_x16_concept_101_cd_gallery_zoomed.jpg

In the rankings of prolonged automotive rumors, Jaguar’s introduction of an entry-level sports car is bested only by Alfa Romeo’s alleged return to the U.S.. With the C-X16 concept debuting at the Frankfurt auto show, though, the British company is signaling that yes, a relatively affordable sports car is coming. In real life. Our spy shooters have caught prototypes of what we believe will be called the XE, but what we couldn’t see is beneath the skin. The two-seat concept shows off a new V-6, a hybrid system, and cutting-edge OLED displays—important tech that Jaguar needs if it’s going to redefine its stuffy, cigar-room image.

Power and Styling by AC/DC

When AC/DC’s 16th album, Black Ice, launched in 2009, singer Brian Johnson was quoted as saying “Someone said to Angus the other day, ‘Hey, you've made the same album 15 times.’ Angus said, ‘No, man, we've made the same album 16 times!’” The same enthusiasm for repeating success might be ascribed to Jaguar’s designer, Ian Callum, who could lovingly be accused of designing the same car a few times. Like the Aston Martin Vanquish and DB9 and the Jaguar XK, the C-X16 is designed around classic grand-tourer proportions, with a long hood and short rear deck. The cockpit is low slung, while swept-back headlights sit atop a gaping grille up front, and curvaceous rear haunches lead to gun-slit taillights. The fenders even have horizontal vents, as does the face-lifted XF. (When Jaguar was under the Ford umbrella, this particular Callum styling element was reserved exclusively for Aston Martin.) Suffice it to say, the C-X16 breaks little new ground stylistically. And we’re fine with that.

Being a show car, the C-X16 has been tarted up with a body kit reminiscent of what you’ll find on the company’s high-performance XKR-S. This includes 21-inch rims with carbon-fiber inlays, a carbon-fiber front splitter, a carbon-fiber “Venturi-effect” tail, and carbon-fiber side sills.

What’s new here is under the aluminum bodywork. Jaguar is in desperate need of a new V-6—the Ford Duratec–based boat anchor was dropped from the U.S. but soldiers on in Europe—and the C-X16 showcases a mill that will land in the XF and European XJs soon. (You may remember reading about this engine in our scoop back in April.) The 3.0-liter V-6 here is derived from the charming, powerful 5.0-liter V-8 currently propelling most of the Jaguar and Land Rover lineups. In this application, the six is direct-injected and supercharged to make 375 hp and 332 lb-ft of torque. Considering that’s nearly the same number of horses as are made by the Jag’s naturally aspirated V-8, we don’t think the blown version of the six will see production. If it does, it’ll be detuned somewhat.

Supplementing the gasoline engine is a hybrid system—slightly less exciting than the turbine range extender in Jaguar’s C-X75 concept from last year, we admit—that features an electric motor with a “push-to-pass” function. The latter, the company says, is inspired by the KERS hybrid systems used in Formula 1. The electric motor can add power for up to 10 seconds at a time, adding 94 hp and 173 lb-ft of torque by way of a button on the steering wheel. Power is drawn from a 1.6-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack mounted behind the seats. The electric motor itself is packaged with a ZF-sourced eight-speed automatic transmission.

An Interior Fit for a Tech Geek?

Unlike the C-X16’s predictable exterior, the passenger compartment brings a number of pleasant surprises. To begin, the gauges appear to be actual gauges. We don’t care much for the way the new XJ’s digital computer screen tries to simulate physical dials—especially the faux reflections—so it’s a delight to see the real deal here. The C-X16 also makes use of rotary knobs to control the HVAC system, which would be a welcome departure from the maddening touchscreen-driven system in Jag’s current models. In the C-X16’s case, the knobs host small OLED (that’s organic light-emitting diode) screens, which change what they display based on what the knobs are set to control. Perhaps most exciting to the gadget freaks among us is the “Connect and View” system. Jaguar says that the system can mirror the screen of almost any smartphone on the car’s center-console-mounted display, and occupants can interact with it mostly as they would their phones. The technology to mirror the phone’s screen should be relatively easy to implement, but making sure the car’s screen can also read inputs the same way as the phone would may be a difficult task. We’re eager to see if Jaguar and its suppliers can deliver on this promise.

Otherwise, the C-X16’s interior is outfitted as you’d expect for a concept car. Leather and Alcantara are draped over virtually every surface, while fixtures are done up in aluminum and carbon fiber. We’ve got nothing against carbon fiber and cow hides, of course—but the promises of a new, more-affordable two-seat sports car, a modern V-6, and top-tier telematics draw our attention elsewhere. We might even be distracted enough to forget that Ian Callum has penned this design once or twice before.

jaguar_c_x16_concept_201_cd_gallery_zoomed.jpg

jaguar_c_x16_concept_102_cd_gallery_zoomed.jpg

jaguar_c_x16_concept_103_cd_gallery_zoomed.jpg
Although it isn't that unique from the current XK lineup, I personally think it looks amazing. But, despite it being their new entry-level car, it's still a Jaguar & will probably carry a hefty price tag.

Is that interior velveted? Boy, I hate velveted textures on cars.

But the car looks pretty good, overall.

Jaguar has officially become cooler than Aston.

Love the interior on this too. Especially the "OH 🤬!" bar for the passenger.

I think that may very well be the best-looking car I've ever seen. Goddamn.

I need new underwearz. I swear, I'm getting one of those...even if I have to play the lottery in every nearby state to do so.

Just realized the contours and body shape remind me of the Firepower.

I think that may very well be the best-looking car I've ever seen. Goddamn.

I need new underwearz. I swear, I'm getting one of those...even if I have to play the lottery in every nearby state to do so.

Just realized the contours and body shape remind me of the Firepower.

This. 👍👍👍👍

If, somehow, somewhere down the line they cancel production for whatever reason...I will hate them more than I hate Cadillac and Chrysler, combined.

Exquisite car, the interior looks neat and a great place to sit. The body work appears to be something of the current range, though with longer, stretched out body parts. I love the fact they went for a fashionable red with the interior, but personally I'd rather it was blue, or lime green.

That warning light button on the steering wheel, how are they going to overcome the obvious problem of pushing it every time you lay your hands on the wheel.

If you look at the front, it looks of the 599 GT0.

This thing is gorgeous. I think, I think I might need to change my avatar.

EDIT: Ah. That's nice.

Last edited:
It really does have an almost Italian vibe to it, even if it's technically similar to the XK in general lines. That opening image gives it a very 8C/599 stance.

That said - gorgeous, gorgeous car. A new 3.0 V6 based off the 5.0 V8 is a great idea too - no Mondeo engines this time. I say offer an atmospheric one as well as the supercharged, and hunt Boxsters/Caymans on the sales charts by having a car with more visual tension than a bar of soap. My only concern is what sort of chassis is under there - the car doesn't look particularly light, but then again, neither does the current XJ and it's among the lightest in its class. Oh... seems they're already regretting the rotary gear selector? Surprise?

Jaguar continues to provide hit after hit 👍

Jai
That warning light button on the steering wheel, how are they going to overcome the obvious problem of pushing it every time you lay your hands on the wheel.
It looks like a hazard button, but it's actually the mentioned "Push-to-pass" function provides the additional 94 horses. I imagine the button will have some sort of weight behind it so that you'll be able to lay a finger on it without actually activating it. I can see some junkie somewhere thinking of it as a "NOS" button now.

Oh... seems they're already regretting the rotary gear selector? Surprise?

I'm wondering whether they've gone for a regular selector for a more "sporting" vibe since the rest of the interior is definitely more on the sporting rather than luxury side compared to the XJ, XF etc (though it doesn't look short of luxury either).

The interior actually has a lot of Audi R8 to it but with nicer-looking materials, which is no bad thing.

As for the rest of it, very few complaints at all. Fantastic looking thing. If it's spoiled by only one thing, it's that it looks like one of those cars that's had to be compromised slightly in order to fit it with licence plate gaps - just imagine that front end without the plastic mounting for the licence plate, and the Jaguar badge smack in the middle of the grille.

Actually, the only other thing I'd change would be to move the big red (starter? push to pass) button off the steering wheel rim. If I'm steering I want to grab the wheel rim, not an indentation with a button in it.

Actually, the only other thing I'd change would be to move the big red (starter? push to pass) button off the steering wheel rim. If I'm steering I want to grab the wheel rim, not an indentation with a button in it.

You'd have to be rather ham fisted to grip the steering wheel in such a way as you'd depress that button unintentionally....

Plus, move a button that adds power to the car? Oh yeah that's smart thinking...."I'll just hit this push to pass button....wait where is it?" and that leads to a driver looking away from the oncoming road and around the dash/center console for a button located elsewhere. Leave it on the wheel and you'll become conscious it's there and would end up just avoiding it without even thinking about it.

Jaguar has officially become cooler than Aston.

Love the interior on this too. Especially the "OH 🤬!" bar for the passenger.

This +1

It looks way better than I was expecting, good work Jag 👍

You'd have to be rather ham fisted to grip the steering wheel in such a way as you'd depress that button unintentionally....

Plus, move a button that adds power to the car? Oh yeah that's smart thinking...."I'll just hit this push to pass button....wait where is it?" and that leads to a driver looking away from the oncoming road and around the dash/center console for a button located elsewhere. Leave it on the wheel and you'll become conscious it's there and would end up just avoiding it without even thinking about it.

You misunderstand.

When I'm turning a steering wheel, I like it to be fairly consistent all the way around. I wouldn't like to be turning and then have the odd feeling of grabbing an area with a depression and a button in it, irrespective of whether it's accidentally pressable or not.

As for the button's location on the wheel, there's a perfectly good wheel spoke on which to put it, where they've been putting buttons for years.

Anyway, the idea of "push to pass" is nothing new. They've had it in automatics for years, it's called "kickdown". And it's in the even more convenient position of under your right foot.

I think it looks great, inside and out. It also looks like one of those not far from production concept cars 👍

Didn't know Jag had this in the pipeline. Wonder what the price will be?

I think it looks great, inside and out. It also looks like one of those not far from production concept cars 👍

Didn't know Jag had this in the pipeline. Wonder what the price will be?
I believe one site estimated it to start around 50,000GBP.

I know this has been said already, but it does look a lot like the Ferrari 599 IMO.

Holy crap that thing is absolutely stunning! I can't find a single fault with the styling, inside or out. And living 5 minutes from the factory I expect to be seeing a few of these about :D

Why's everyone posting pictures of the Aston Martin V8 Vantage? I want to see this new Jaguar...

Latest Posts

Back