Kaz interview on Eurogamer - Standards are here to stay! Poll added

• Thread starter Johnnypenso
  • 1,699 comments

Kaz says the standards are going to be in GT7. Is this a deal breaker for you?

• If standards are in GT7, I'm out.

Votes: 171 19.5%
  • I will buy GT7 regardless.

Votes: 498 56.9%
  • On the fence, I'll wait for the reviews and then decide.

Votes: 206 23.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And people say PD loves nissan :D
They do.
Haha.gif

Ah yes, the days when GT5 standards had no interiors, and I mean none, not a black mass that mars realism when omitting the interior view entirely was a more realistic choice.
It's okay though, I lived through it and won!

It's true that there is a substantial amount of semi-premium standards out there but, unless all standards from GT6 are upgraded to this status or premium-ized, I will be opt'ing out of buying GT7. PS4 is no place for PS2 graphics, unless you're counting the PS classics collection on PSN.

Your second post of a game of a different generation for comparison.
Do you have any for GT7?
It's not so much a graphical comparison, man, even FM4 had these cars. It's just that some really iconic cars aren't premium yet, but the fact that they improved the yellowbird and r390 gives us hope that full premium model is in the works.

I remember how people used to say that Forza only has popular supercars and Gt has a lot of obscure models. Well...
GT6: Nissan R390 still standard.
2396336-9644551449-

Forza 5 - full modelled

And people say PD loves nissan :D

To be honest, considering the GT6 one is from last gen and standard, the quality difference is not that big compared to the Forza 5 one. Except for the interior of course.
If these are going to be the GT7 standards, i'm 100% pleased.

Sorry, I was just looking over the rest, some cars I'm not yet able to afford in the game. Was this the car you mentioned few pages ago?

It was indeed, and I'd mentioned it's Forza 4 rendition in response to Samus' claim that Forza 4 had 500+ X-box 360 quality cars.

Can't take the quality of next gen? Okay. :sly:

I'll wait to see what GT7 has to offer in terms of PS4-level quality cars before I concede defeat, but in the mean time Forza 5 Autovista videos make for painful viewing. Let's not forget that GT6 is a PS3 game and Forza 5 is an X-box one game, and that we haven't actually seen anything from GT7 yet.

Logic doesn't enter into the equation for most GT fans. If they made up their mind logically, the offline/career mode and the 1998 AI would have torpedoed the series a long time ago. It's basically a racing game with no racing but apparently the huge car and track count is all that matters, even if they are varying in quality. Some of us that are actually into racing will move onto greener pastures for the next gen but the vast majority will probably stick with GT7 because it's comfortable and familiar and probably partly because the AI are so easy. Some people get a good feeling of accomplishment just from winning, even when the opposition couldn't beat my Grandmother in a race.

Yes of course anyone who doesn't agree with you just isn't thinking logically and are sticking with GT just because it's familiar. It couldn't possibly be that people have different priorities when it comes to buying games and don't necessarily want the same things in a game you do.

We all get it Johnny, you're so superior because you won't put up with the AI in GT. Give yourself a pat on the back and go back to wondering why everyone isn't more like you.

Sony is investing highly in their VR headset for next-gen, and it has been shown in the recent E3. I wonder how is it gonna be playing with a standard car while using the VR headset, it's not gonna be pretty.

Sony is investing highly in their VR headset for next-gen, and it has been shown in the recent E3. I wonder how is it gonna be playing with a standard car while using the VR headset, it's not gonna be pretty.

I have serious doubts that Project Morpheus will be available anytime during the life of GT7. Plus, have you seen the graphics of the demos so far? None of it is pretty.

Yes of course anyone who doesn't agree with you just isn't thinking logically and are sticking with GT just because it's familiar. It couldn't possibly be that people have different priorities when it comes to buying games and don't necessarily want the same things in a game you do.

We all get it Johnny, you're so superior because you won't put up with the AI in GT. Give yourself a pat on the back and go back to wondering why everyone isn't more like you.
If you have a counter to my argument, bring it up, if all you have are personal insults, leave them on your keyboard please.

I have serious doubts that Project Morpheus will be available anytime during the life of GT7. Plus, have you seen the graphics of the demos so far? None of it is pretty.
I don't know about that, dude. I'm sure Sony won't be marketing their product for it to be released some 10 years later. Judging by how Oculus Rift is already been "Beta tested" by many gamers, Project Morpheus must already be in its latest stages of development, and I wouldn't doubt that by next year it will already hit the stores.

Shu Yoshida has written that he tried the prototype of DriveClub running with PMorpheus, and while it was good at low speed, once he started to go faster it caused motion sickness. I suppose that 30 fps is bad idea for racing with VR enabled, maybe 60 fps makes things better.

How about you tell us what your priorities are then and how other games simply can't measure up to filling them the way GT does? If you have a counter to my argument, bring it up, if all you have are personal insults, leave them on your keyboard please.

No offence but the post of yours he was responding to was pretty insulting in the first place. I sincerely hope you enjoy Project Cars by the way.

Shu Yoshida has written that he tried the prototype of DriveClub running with PMorpheus, and while it was good at low speed, once he started to go faster it caused motion sickness. I suppose that 30 fps is bad idea for racing with VR enabled, maybe 60 fps makes things better.
There's not much complaint from those who used the Oculus Rift while playing PCARS or Assetto Corsa, for example. But Oculus Rift is almost a complete product, so it's only natural that today it is "better" than Project Morpheus.

If you have a counter to my argument, bring it up, if all you have are personal insults, leave them on your keyboard please.

That's a pretty strong statement from someone who started his post with a huge, sweeping insult to the largest fan base in racing games.

My counter argument is in my reply, not everyone have the same priorities as you do. Some people play as little offline as they possibly can and stick to online, some people like to do TT and hotlap while tuning cars, some people just like collecting as many cars as they can, some people like using photomode. But to be honest it doesn't matter why someone else prefers GT over other games, that's there own decisions and you have NO RIGHT to try and belittle people for it.

Think about what you're saying before you post.

If the development of GT7 is not slowed by much, let them stay. I have no problem with tracks with less detail. Which we get as a treasure from the past. When i doing my best, i am not really looking at the surroundings.
More focus is on the opponent and not the crowd or trees.

I am baffled Forza spent so much time in those Vista models and not in the game or in game gfx for that matter. In spite of developing on new hardware they could not even get proper smoke affect, grass moving as car goes by, working headlight. Dynamic time of day and weather I can understand probably will take more time. GT6 already has these thing on PS3. That is why I said that Pcars is a good benchmark to have. Detailed cars in gameplay and it was have all these detail which we can expect in GT7. Although I think standard or silhouette cockpit is not acceptable for a PS4 game. It is optional if they do decide to have it. As long as the things I mentioned above are there.

I think that Polyphony has somehow been too honest with the standard/premium differences.
In most video games, not only racing, there are differences in modeling quality. It is the same with Fifa (where there are clearly some standard/semi premium and premium players but nobody complains).

This being said, I cannot imagine some of the "standard" cars to appear as they currently look in GT6 in a PS4 game.

But then comes the difficult choice: do we prefer to have a car in GT7 in a stansard shape (Polyphony option) or not have the car at all (Turn 10 / Forza 5 option) ?

If you ask me, 'standard' cars staying in GT7 is a good thing. It means that the number and variety of cars will increase instead of going down. For sure, it might be quantity of quality, but that's what some people prefer.

Ok... maybe the dominance of Japanese cars may annoy some, but at least you'll get to drive the 'classics' of the franchise. It's always a nice trip down memory lane to drive a 'standard' car (that first appeared in GT4) on an old track for instance. If PD were to ditch all the 'standard' cars, there's bound to be one or two cars you'll deeply miss.

It's fantastic having interiors for some of the cars, but for a series like Gran Tursimo, they're not exactly breaking the game with their absence on many other cars. All that's really required for each 'standard' car in GT7 is updating the exteriors so they have more polygons, and smoother edges (like the select few 'standard' cars in GT6. The Ford RS200 for instance). Surely that can't be hard to do with a system as powerful as the PS4. Even if PD can't get their hands on a particular car to re-scan it.

Scanning and rendering in the interiors of each individual car for GT7 would be too time consuming, and even though PD are perfectionists, I'm pretty sure they can't afford to invest that much time into making all of the 1200+ cars 'premium'.

If this strategy is taken, the end result will be ALL the cars in GT7 looking exquisitely detailed on the outside, and for the cars that couldn't get interiors, we can forgive PD, simply because GT7 would never come out otherwise. (the blank interiors of the 'standard' cars is a problem that could be fixed, if PD created a bonnet cam, which would be just as immerse as a premium car interior. Especially with a wheel controller).

In addition to this, GT7 will receive more premium cars anyway, so the next game in the franchise, should be an all round improvement. Even if it doesn't quite reach the level of perfection.

Sorry if this seems a ramble, but I'm just brainstorming as much as I can for you people. :)

That's one page of FM vs GT fireworks fizzled. This is where you'll want to head.

You are probably done when you dont like facts that contradict you... i have a ps2 here with me right now. I've compared ps2 cars with ps3 standard cars, i can tell you that in game the ps2 ones look clearly worse.

I spent a few months playing both GT4 and GT5 simultaneously when the latter first released, to collect paint chip info. I can tell you that other than a few of the touched-up standards in GT6, the vast majority of Standards are untouched from their PS2 roots. The models are the same as they appeared on disc in GT4. Yes, it's the Photo Travel models (with the proper 3D rims, not GT4's on-track paper ones), but they weren't touched up.

An american (or canadian, more or less the same)

How's Lisbon?

Standards staying would be better for me but worse for Gran Turismo.

That's sort of how I view it... just without that first half ;).
But in all honesty, I don't want PD to be easy joke for critics everywhere. That's why I want Standards dropped, especially so if they're showing up on PS4. Lead with your best foot forward - not a heavily pixelated, can't-use-all-the-current-features foot.

To be fair 'premiums' are a fairly large cut above anything else on seventh generation consoles.

The model fidelity? Not really. PD's lighting engine is what really puts them over the competition.

That's one page of FM vs GT fireworks fizzled. This is where you'll want to head.

I spent a few months playing both GT4 and GT5 simultaneously when the latter first released, to collect paint chip info. I can tell you that other than a few of the touched-up standards in GT6, the vast majority of Standards are untouched from their PS2 roots. The models are the same as they appeared on disc in GT4. Yes, it's the Photo Travel models (with the proper 3D rims, not GT4's on-track paper ones), but they weren't touched up.

How's Lisbon?

That's sort of how I view it... just without that first half ;).
But in all honesty, I don't want PD to be easy joke for critics everywhere. That's why I want Standards dropped, especially so if they're showing up on PS4. Lead with your best foot forward - not a heavily pixelated, can't-use-all-the-current-features foot.

The model fidelity? Not really. PD's lighting engine is what really puts them over the competition.
Oh finally a mod that doesn't live 3,000 kilometres away from me.

I'll wait to see what GT7 has to offer in terms of PS4-level quality cars before I concede defeat, but in the mean time Forza 5 Autovista videos make for painful viewing. Let's not forget that GT6 is a PS3 game and Forza 5 is an X-box one game, and that we haven't actually seen anything from GT7 yet.
Despite that, there have been a lot of comparisons between the two titles on the interwebs, even if there on different generation consoles. The two games were released at the same year sooo...

This is just to exemplify what I always wanted to do in Gran Turismo and have never been able to. And I fear with the "standard" cars, this feature won't be implemented in the next GT game.

With the variety of cars in GT, the livery editor would be so extraordinary.
It could have been a video from any game that features a livery editor, but I see Forza as the one who got it right. This is not intended to be Forza vs GT, as I said before, this serves only to exemplify what I said.

I think if PD are going to simulate a full 200 car grid on Nordschleife in GT7 or a full 60 car grid like Blancpain series, who will care about standard car quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back