Mission 11 - New York Toyota GT2000

• Thread starter Swift
  • 169 comments
Consistency is the key to this mission. Take the track slowly and try to take the corners before the two long straights with as much exit speed as possible and this mission shouldn't be too hard considering how hard is mission 34

gt_masta
Consistency is the key to this mission. Take the track slowly and try to take the corners before the two long straights with as much exit speed as possible and this mission shouldn't be too hard considering how hard is mission 34

the slowness of this car and its horrendous body roll kills me more than mission 34 ever will

3 lap battles Mission 11 New York Toyota GT2000
I just cant let these writeups go astray, so I'll try to save as many of them as I can.
AMG_SLK

Videos
http://www.davidanderson.org.uk/gt4_videos.htm#mission
Courtesy of Daan and Famine
F310B
In 11 you just have to watch your speedometer. You want to maximise your minimum speed. The lower your speed drops in a corner, the slower you will be in that sector of the lap, because you lose momentum. In the last hairpin you should aim to not let your speed dip below 32 mph. Late braking, or even apexing the corner, is largely irrelevant. It's all about maintaining speed, and you should take wide lines to do so.

It's all about momentum. In low-powered cars, you will lose *a lot* of time if you let your speed dip a little, because the car does not have the power to regain the speed. I think of it like this. Take an extreme example. If your car became stuck in 5th/6th gear, what would you do? How would you change your style to minimise the time lost?

The answer is, you woud turn in later, and take wider lines. You would lose time because you are going the long way round the corner, but the overall you are *faster* because you scrub off less speed.

So in mission 11, watch that speedometer! The higher the numbers are, the faster your laptimes are going to be!
Der Alta
A word for word "Cut and Paste" from www.deralta.net
---------------------------------------------------------------
Mission Eleven: 6'47.472
Mazda 110S (second place): 6'48.131
The Key to this one is Early and light braking. Any late breaking, and you pay in spades due to the lack of power. This one took me about an hour to pass.
If you can't maintain the momentum, you can't catch the car ahead of you. I managed to catch the 5th place car at the end of the first lap, and at the same corner on the last lap, I snuck up on the First place car. Took me some time to get there, and it was just barely a win.
Time Check points.
+ 27.585
+ 25.219
First Lap: + 20.112
+ 17.396
+ 13.862
Second Lap: + 9.605
+ 6.616
+ 3.312
Finish: - 0.659
stan394
You need to catch 5 AI cars, with the lead car about 28 seconds ahead,
within 3 laps in New York (Reverse). You are given a rather old and slow
Toyota 2000GT '67. The key to handling the car is not to slow down too much
while cornering.
Drift through the Columbus Circle at about 45mph and exit with a speed of at
least 60mph. If you can't reach the first checkpoint within 27 seconds from the
lead car, restart. In the series of 90-degree turns, think about curves, arcs
and semi-circles and make use of the full width of the track. You should catch
the 5th car right after the last left before approaching Times Square for the
first time.
I caught up with the lead car in the last hairpin before the finish line. From
the replay, you will see that the lead car coughs it up during that turn every
time. It skids sideways a couple of times before regaining its traction. Just
don't bump its back while you make the hairpin.
Caught up with the ... car at ...
5th: first lap, before second checkpoint
4th: second lap, before first checkpoint
3rd: second lap, after second checkpoint
2nd: second lap, at hairpin before finish line
1st: third lap, at hairpin before finish line
Checkpoint Times:
1st lap: +26.568 +23.118 +18.464
2nd lap: +15.484 +11.723 +7.393
3rd lap: +5.466 +2.757 -1.122
My time: 6:46.333
AI time: 6:47.455
Uncle Harry
With 29 of the 34 missions completed it is time to spend a serious effort at New York with the old Japanese sports cars from the Seventies.
I visted New York for brief visits earlier on in the game and came away cursing the place.
Is this mission a PD joke on the outcome of the war? Shouldn't we be driving these wonders of Japanese manufacturing around Tokyo?
Back to the story.
My first attempt and I really do not like this car and those blind corners. Also the fact that I always seem to catch the AI on a hard corner and can not pass. I finished this run in second place 10 seconds behind the little Mazda.
Several restarts latter I complete 3 laps and have finished 5 seconds behind the Mazda.
I am getting more confident with the car and track and am learning the correct brake points etc.
Next few attempts are arborted due to trying to hard and hitting walls on the second lap.
A few more laps and I am starting to work out split times I need to have a chance.
I will list these as best I remember.
-27 seconds at first timer. This is a hard one as the time flashes up just as you hit the end of the shadow which is my brake point.
-23 at the next one. you should be passing or about to pass position 5.
-19.5 at the start finish line end lap 1.
- 15 at marker 4 and about to pass 4th (red skyline)
- 13 at marker 5 .
-9 at start finish line at end of second lap. you should be in second place by now after passing the Galant and Celica at the hairpin and down the straight.
- 5 at next mark. The Mazda will be just visible.
-3 at the next mark.
At the hairpin the Mazda will be just in front and a clean corner here will see you pass him down the straight.
I was on schedule for a win untill I was distracted and missed my braking point after the -5 timer and hit the wall for a 5 second penalty. I kept going and missed out by -0.5 seconds.

I then knew I could win by driving a clean 3 laps.
Next attempt saw me win by +0.7 seconds after spending visiting New York for 2 hours.
To beat this mission it is important to brake early and set the car up for the corners. Learn your braking points. Pick a spot you can remember and brake there. Do not rely on the flashing indicator as it flashes just a little late for most corners.
4 more to go!
hispeed
I FINALLY PASSED MISSION 11
After 3 months of gameplay.
The torque at low revs must be like 5Nm, so keep the revs high! Find the right lines at the 90* corners and don't change gears until the engine almost revs out.
Thats all that was needed! yihaaaa

The key for me was to get through the section with all of the 90 degree turns smoothly, loosing as little speed as possible. A LOT of time can be lost in that section if you have to slow down too much becuase you missed an apex.

Man, I love this mission :dopey: I got so depressed reading about it, but actually won by 3 seconds on my first real try just now (Caught penalties within 40 sec while learning the braking power the 2 first times and reset :\ ), but then again I like softer cars...

Some good tips above, note early braking and try to hold the car above a certain speed. I was a bit careful on the first lap, but I found that you could take the 270 @ 70-75kph, the first right-left after that @ 65kph, then try and stay around 75 for the rest of the 90d's. The double right between the straights can be taken @ 55kph (all these numbers are the slowest you'll need to go, and safe speeds at the apexes).

Another important tip is to steer gently, and back off at once if the front tires overload. I'm using the d-pad, and I could steer the car well just by feathering the steering through most of it. At the speeds I mentioned, you'll be able to avoid any understeer.

If you manage to keep these speeds and avoid understeer you'd probably win by 6+ seconds, so you can afford to take it a little easy... which is what you should do, cause the worst thing you can do here is overcook it.

Now on to my umpteenth try @ la sarthe 3 lap mission... I already broke one controller trying that :(

Some more tips for this mission:

When braking for corners don't just plant the pedal. You want to squeeze it on to about 7/8ths pressure. For me this stopped the car a lot quicker than just slapping the brakes on full.

Early and light braking really does make a difference. If you're finding the car won't turn in for corners lay off the brakes. You don't have to come right off them, but if you're only braking at 1/3rd to 1/2 power the car responds much better.

In the middle section of 90 degree turns I was taking the 1st at about 35mph, accelerating up to be exiting the 3rd at about 50mph. The next lot you should aim for at least 50mph. I couldn't make every corner every lap, but I think with the perfect line you should be able to better it on each corner.

The lead AI really does mess it up at the last hairpin. This is where I caught him and gave him a boost - it was a real drag to the finish line. If you end up following him into the last hairpin then take a wide exit and you should be able to swoop around the outside

Lap times:
Overall me: 6'46.776
Overall AI: 6'47.640

Events:
+26.703
+23.626
5th place: 1'45 - 1/3rd down the north-south straight
1st Lap: +18.905
4th Place: 2'59 - halfway along west-east straight
+15.792
+12.785
3rd Place: 4'04 - approaching southern hairpin
2nd place 4'21 - between hairpin and start/finish
2nd Lap: +7.992
+4.917
+2.076
1st Place: 6'33 - between hairpin and start/finish
3rd Lap: -0.864

While going thru the section with the 90 degree turns I notice the I hit the redline in second gear just before I need to brake for the next corner. My first question is does this seem similar to your expericences, or am I not carrying enough speed through those corners?

If I am about right on my speed through there, should I do a quick shift up to 3 and then right back into second? It seems the that would slow me down a bit and possibly upset the balance of the car just before turning. In a real car I would be worried about bouncing it off the rev limiter, but in the game they are only zeros and ones. The only time I seem to be fast enough to warrant a quick shift into 3rd is on the last short straight before the 90 degree to the back straight. But I usually don't shift and concentrate on trying to get through the corner as fast as possible.

My best so far is about 1.3 sec behind the 1st place car.

Thanks,
Peter J. Ford

Thank you everyone for your advice.

I have a couple of tips I haven't seen before that might help someone else.

In the 270 degree corner after getting into the left turn part of it I would keep the throttle down and modulate my speed by left foot braking slightly at the part where there is an opening at the right side. Since I knew I had a lot of room at the exit of the turn I could get a really good exit speed this way.

I also found that at times I would not turn in as hard as I could because the car would sometimes understeer if I did, and then I would really loose a lot of time. So instead I would brake at about 80%, so I wouldn't lock the brakes, then I turned in a tiny bit early, but not as hard and I could hit the apex where I wanted and be able to get back on the throttle quickly.

The 80% braking also helped at the end of the straight after the 270 degree turn. I used to use the point I come out of the shadow as my braking point for the 90 degree left, but if I had really good brake control I could wait just a second longer, and every second counts.

thanks again for all the suggestions.

Peter J. Ford

Sime3479
YES FINALLY! on about the 40th try I won by 0.009! This mission was such a headache. :banghead: :mad:
Congratulations, i'm so very happy for you 👍
You must have alot of patience and alot of time available, do you think i could borrow some of it? :indiff: please?? I'll trade you a couple F1's, any color you want..?
Coz after about 15 🤬 tries, the best i can do is: 2nd @- 6.4 secs :scared:
and from there on, i'm just getting worse!!
The 2nd gear on this car, really 🤬 su*ks 👎

Hey guys, thefeint here. I've been living in Japan now for 4months and I just bought the Japanese version of gt4.

Reading this thread has made me see how much easier the american version of GT4 is. While most of the tests are similar a notable few are much different, and MUCH HARDer.

From what I can see the main AI car runs mission 11 at about 6'47''xx in the American Version.

So far I've managed a 6'43''852 and I was still behind by 0''.200(I was sooo damn close too)

Is there any other pointers you can give me? Sadly the ones ppl have posted here just wont work when you need to finish it in around 6'43''.5xx

Thanks alot for any help,

feint

thefeint
Hey guys, thefeint here. I've been living in Japan now for 4months and I just bought the Japanese version of gt4.

Reading this thread has made me see how much easier the american version of GT4 is. While most of the tests are similar a notable few are much different, and MUCH HARDer.

From what I can see the main AI car runs mission 11 at about 6'47''xx in the American Version.

So far I've managed a 6'43''852 and I was still behind by 0''.200(I was sooo damn close too)

Is there any other pointers you can give me? Sadly the ones ppl have posted here just wont work when you need to finish it in around 6'43''.5xx

Thanks alot for any help,

feint
Feint i read your post so i went back and re-did this mission. I ran 6'41.8 with two 5 sec penalties at the round corner at the end of the main straight (it's midnight here in Oz and i should have gone to bed instead of racing). I will race it again to make a clean run, and make a video of it.

Well - I am tickled pink to be able to say I finally completed this mission after - literally months - of futile off and on attempts to crack it.

I took a detour and spent lots of recreational time making the rounds of all the manufacturers races to increase my A-spec point total - and had some outstanding fun 200 point races into the bargain. I'm just under 70,000 A-spec points now.

When I tackled it again, I found either my skill had improved - or the AI was simply dumbing down enough to let me win a little easier after so many failures.

Really though, I did find that once I worked at it using some predictable braking milestones eg;

the "hatched" cross walk right before the first hard left turn,

the "shadow" at the end of the next long straightaway before the "right-left-right" chicane

etc...

and using a slow and steady approach was the key. In fact I was able to beat it quite easily once I got my pacing down.

It was sooooo satisfying when I finally caught up to that lead car at the exit of the last turn before the race to the finish line - I knew he was mine from there on.

So for all you other frustrated drivers out there - keep your chin up - if I can do it anybody can.

Feint,

I re-did this mission clean and made a video for you. You said you needed a time under 6'43.5

My time was 6'37.201

I passed the Cosmo on the exit of the round corner at the beginning of the third lap.

I'm converting the video now and will upload it to my site soon.
http://md-dms.twbc.net

Just click on the word videos at the top of the screen.

INSANE!! i've hit a limit at 6'45 and can't seem to break it. even though I have a crappy slow connection i'll still dl your video!! thanks a lot

thefeint
INSANE!! i've hit a limit at 6'45 and can't seem to break it. even though I have a crappy slow connection i'll still dl your video!! thanks a lot
The video has now been uploaded to my site Feint. Follow the link in my old post and you'll find mission 11 on the last page.

:sly: Finally!! Two weeks ago I finished dreaded Missions 11-14. Missions 11 and 14 prove to be the most difficult. The basic key of this mission is to mantain your speed (don´t let it drop below 30 mph at any time). The crucial part of this test is the last hairpin, if you can exit the hairpin with 31-34 mph, you can make more than a sec. Later, I will post my trailing times and a video replay of this mission.

:dunce: Can anyone tell me how I can attach my replays and my best times into this page?

:grumpy: GT3 100% complete
:dopey: GT4 98% complete

ket01084
:dunce: Can anyone tell me how I can attach my replays and my best times into this page?

Do you have a MAX Drive? If so, transfer files from Memory Card to MAX Drive using the program it comes with. Then plug MAX drive into PC and download the file to a directory. Search for MAX drive or AR MAX if you haven't got one, for info and where to buy one from.
Edit your post, scroll down to "Manage Attachements" Click the button and browse for the file on your PC. Click the "Upload" button, wait for it to upload and then click OK. After that your replay should appear at the bottom of your post. :)

Back