Mission Accomplished.

• Thread starter dori-san
  • 108 comments
///M-Power
A few more runs tonight... during one lap I managed to catch the fifth place car while braking for the corner before the little straight leading up to the Karussell, but the bastard moved over into me and ruined the lap with a penalty. Another time I caught the second place car just before going downhill on the final straight, but a slight slip in the braking zone and I finished 0.034 seconds behind first place. A few laps later and... I went 0.4 seconds faster with a 9.12.6, despite being slower than usual in the first few sectors, and the 300SL went 0.3 seconds slower, and I finally ended up winning by 0.7 seconds. Whew... It took me a week, but now I can do it in my sleep, and I know the track like the back of my hand.

Congratulations for the hard work 👍 I remember having read one of your posts that said you had missed it by less than a tenth....I was ill for you ! :crazy: I also got it yesterday after about 3 days of trying. Interesting thing is that we don't seem to be fast on the same places. For example, I systematically overtake 5th place car a few seconds before the karrussel , in the long fast section before. On the other hand, I don't feel at ease in the last section (turns beetween 2nd and 3rd gear) before the long straight, where you seem to be faster than me, as we finally got the missions both.
Anyway, that means we still can shave some seconds off, and that's a good point for all the guys who still try, as a perfect lap is not required to get it. As for me, I did 2 or 3 little mistakes and still got it by around 2 seconds.

Here is a link to my video:

www.rouven-rult.de/videos/m34.wmv 17 MB

There is no sound because of my stupid pinnacle tv card. The video quality is not good either, but it could be worse.

As you can see I am driving really bad but still beat the mission. That is because I often slide along walls and cut the green.

My split times:

+ 1.48.853
+ 1.40.553
+ 1.30.252
+ 1.18.708
+ 1.04.759
+ 0.53.570
+ 0.37.088
+ 0.29.135
+ 0.23.004
+ 0.13.081
+ 0.05.046

roos
has anyone actually beat this without cheating their ass off?
haha. yes. i did it today. not only did i not wall rub or lawn mow, but i also beat it 3 seconds ahead of the 2nd place car.

the key is of course, apexing, but also, especially in that merc, braking.

it loves to turn on light braking. you have to exploit that if you expect to take the turns at any decent speed. i'm talking 5-10%. of course if you're coming up on a 2nd or 3rd gear turn and you're in the top of 4th gear, you'll need to brake hard at first to get your speed down, but after you get slower, let off the brakes a bit and let your front tires really carry you until the apex. then get on the gas and if you did it right, your car will understeer just enough to get you to the outside of the end of the corner

yes i also beat it, 1.4 sec ahead of the 300sl w/o cheating. i will try to get a video of the lap up for everyone. it took about 15 trys. the other key (atleast for my style) is to move the wheel as little as possible and to not trip the tcs/asm. the suspension is very soft so for those of u that are crashing and what seems random points is to learn where the big bumps are and to take them either off line or to just hit them head on and land straight, do NOT brake while only the fronts are on the ground and the rears are in the air.

Tried it, shanked it. I got 45 seconds until I start again. I reckon I might do it this time.

Damn, that was almost enough to make me cry. I just missed it by 1.5 seconds but worst of all I got a 5 seconder on the second last right hand corner!!! I had a little too much speed and got a little shaky passing the SLk 320 and had to avoid the 300 SL but hit the wall instead. Damn that, Ill get it this time for sure.

RouWa

There is no sound because of my stupid pinnacle tv card. The video quality is not good either, but it could be worse.

As you can see I am driving really bad but still beat the mission. That is because I often slide along walls and cut the green.

My split times:

+ 0.23.004
+ 0.13.081
+ 0.05.046
Is that PAL? Because I was 12.xxx behind on the straight's checkpoint and missed it, now Im happy cos I can easily do it then.

Alright finally its done, about 2 hours or so I think, but I had dinner in between so a bit less I guess. Well anway, it wasnt my best lap but I maintained my composure for the final stages and caught him on the final straight. (I probablly could have made id a bit earlier but after my previous incidents I didnt want to risk it) Anyway, 9'16.02 which isn't that good but it was enough.

Ok, now its time for the three lap battles which I seem to suck at. After them mission hall complete. I did it all in one (not at all full) day except the slipstreams which I did ealier.

i've decided to turn that Mercedes/McLaren into a lawnmower. i dont care if some of you guys are allergic to grass pollen. i want my nissan R89.

the grass IS greener on the other side. especially once i get that nissan.
it'll be shorter too.

speedy_samurai
(Aside from the PAL users who can take a penalty or two and still win)

Yurimasa
Yeah what's up with that?
I've been dreading this mission since I saw this thread, but when I finally got to try it out I got it on like my 2nd try :irked:
Using manual DFP, PAL version... So, what's the difference between my mission and yours? :odd:

So?

roos
has anyone actually beat this without cheating their ass off?
Yes i did, just keep practising, and just get the feeling you're Michael Schumacher, and you will be bad to the bone and kicking their ass.

I have PAL and overtook the nr 1 car at the white rumble banked tarmac just before the last straight.

icon
i've decided to turn that Mercedes/McLaren into a lawnmower. i dont care if some of you guys are allergic to grass pollen. i want my nissan R89.

the grass IS greener on the other side. especially once i get that nissan.
it'll be shorter too.
When you enter the corner properly you have more speed, more grip and better out acceleration, so going to the grass isn't winning you anything at all.

There are some points on the track that IS faster going through grass than being on the road. We're talking about .50 to 1.50 seconds shaved off depending on how you land it.

Its nice if you can win this event like Mr. Clean. You've gotta drive like a Pro to beat this, and I admire those who can make the 9:12.XXX to pass. But I'm just a casual gamer who wants the Nissan.

I also want a John Deere sticker and hat after this event :dopey:.

Yurimasa
Yeah what's up with that?
I've been dreading this mission since I saw this thread, but when I finally got to try it out I got it on like my 2nd try :irked:
Using manual DFP, PAL version... So, what's the difference between my mission and yours? :odd:

The PAL version has a 116 delay; the NTSC version has a 123 second delay. That's why it was so easy.

RouWa

My split times:

+ 1.48.853
+ 1.40.553
+ 1.30.252
+ 1.18.708
+ 1.04.759
+ 0.53.570
+ 0.37.088
+ 0.29.135
+ 0.23.004
+ 0.13.081
+ 0.05.046

ROFLMAO
Dude that is the most hillarious thing i have ever seen but it worked im gettin damn sick of this mission so im gonna try the cheating way as well anything to get my paws on that R89c i love the R92cp so im sure the R89 kicks @$$ as well

I've tried it over and over to get to 10secs behind leading car (3rd Place finish). About to give up looked up on the net see what others did...and saw that most cheated through it. Almost cheated as well until i saw this:

NthNEK@http://boards.ign.com/Gran_Turismo/b5208/81725054/p3
Mission 34, with some grass, and walls, and un-perfectionism, and, and...enjoy.

Not bad. That was PAL though. I could have driven smoother than that and still made it if I had the extra 8 seconds that PAL has. I still intend to get a good clean NTSC video, but I'm actually trying to play the game instead of wasting my life away at a mission that I've already beaten. Once I finally finish the game 100% then I'll go back and hone my M34 skills.

I'm far from being that far in-game but I'll definitely study your post when I'll get to 34 :)
Amazing post and thanks for the pictures,video,everything !!!

was 3am......and i missed it by 0.150 seconds! Like half a car length! And i had a 5sec penalty! I reckon it could be done in almost 9mins flat on a perfect lap (PAL).

I'll keep trying! I'll post my run once i get there!

Cleared all cars and finished 4 secs ahead (PAL). I cut the first left/right then stayed on the black stuff. Ah, the mixture of pleasure and relief all wrapped into one.

Just 24hr Sarthe II left to get 100%. Then onto turning the remaining silvers into gold.

Some people say this game is to damn hard. But it's not impossible... try, try and try again. Everything is achieveable.
If it was easy there wouldn't be any sense of accomplishment. *speech over*

Hey dori! Remember the days when the two of us were constantly in the "mission hall is a *****" thread trying to work this out.

About 2 days ago I decided to go back, and I pretty much turned my perfect lap, and the one that you are looking for. Unfortunately I have no way to capture the video onto my computer, but it was something like 9'09.5 (check my sig). I passed the 300SL at the bottom of the hill after the straight but before the last chicane. It was nuts. I couldnt believe I went so fast.

I just golded 80 so my skills are in top gear now, and thats when I decided to go back and do it. Good luck turning that perfect lap for yourself! 👍

Good to hear that Rockhound! Congrats on the golds AND the M34.

I'm mostly trying to concentrate on racing right now, as I am still only at 15.6% at the Classic Cup in Pro Hall. I spent a lot of my first days with the game getting licenses and missions out of the way, and since then I've mostly been taking pictures and participating in the photomode comps. Now I just want to get back to what GT is all about and gets some good old fashioned racing under my belt.

Cheers!

I really wish I could post my video here on the internet, but the only thing I know is how to play GT. This is my first time reading this thread after beating M34 last weekend, the crowning achievement of my GT career. The first time I have ever been compelled to actually save a replay even though I've been playing GT since the original first came out several years ago.

After watching Dori's video, I felt like such an idiot for not wallriding the Karussell especially after the rediculous amount of wallriding I did in ice arena and chamonix. But after initially giving up on this final mission of closing a 123 second gap in one lap on the 'ring, I finally decided to come back after a-specing all 24 hours on Nurburgring. I figured M34 couldn't take more than 24 hours of work to complete, even though I pratically have carpal tunnel syndrome from the 24hr because I don't use a racing wheel.

Anyway, instead of wallriding, I could only come up with a few places to cut through the grass and was only making +8 second finishes on my best tries. After focuses all of my qi into the controller, I was slowly but surely able to cut my times down, about a half second at a time, until I was able to get close enough to unleash all of my pent up anger from this mission directly into the 300sl at the end of the back straight. When I say "end of the back straight" I mean that I began to think about how much I hated the new 5 second penalty concept, polyphony digital for making such a difficult challenge, the Mercedes-Benz and McLaren auto companies for constructing the monstrosity that is SLR, and even the architect of Nurburgring for being completely insane, until I kept my speed of nearly 200mph through the s-curves after the long back straight and continued at full speed until I plowed directly into the damn 300SL at a near 90 degree angle just before it entered the left turn just before the final right turn. The result could not have been more perfect. While the impact slowed me down and actually starightened out my car onto the road, I was able to see that the 300SL had spun around so that it was travelling in the wrong direction as it passed right in front of my car. After the shortest five second penalty of my life, I was able to cruise through the final turn and across the finish line as I wept tears of joy. An invisible weight of about 5,000 pounds was instantly lifted from my shoulders, and I could finally enjoy the SLR and Nurburgring for the masterpieces that they are.

I think this will be the prologue to my upcoming autobiography.
What do you think?

Wahey!

Just completed Mission 34 without taking to the grass or cheating in any way, and managed to win by 4.7secs! :)

I feel like a giant elephant has been lifted from my shoulders!

How do you get replays onto your PC - I presume it's detailed somewhere else in this forum?

Cheers.

Now to try and get all golds :nervous:

Hi,

I'm not really new to the boards, I just don't usually do anything more than read. I noticed my video was being pulled from a thread on this site, so figured I'd come find it. I know my video was horrid as far as perfectionism goes, I just wanted to prove it could be beat without intentional "grass cutting", or "wall riding."

Someone in the thread mentioned (unless they were referring to another poster) that the video was from a PAL game, and I assure you, it IS NOT. I wasted more of my life and patience attempting that darn mission than I care to admit. I use Km/H for speed resolution, and am guessing this is why someone thought it was a PAL version.

You think they realized they messed up with mission 34 or what, shortening the wait 8 seconds? I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a video posted on this site about this topic.

-NthNEK

Back