• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 782 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Since 1946, the National Basketball Association has been the premier league for basketball in the United States. Over the years, many teams and players have emerged and became superstars, and some of those superstars became immortals. This great game invented by a Canadian has seen some of its finest talent from around the world (including the USA and Canada). The new season begins with the NBA Draft and goes all the way to the Larry O'Brien Trophy being handed out to the league's best team. Another one of those journeys will be chronicled here on GTPlanet.

The NBA has 30 teams and a handful of players, and all of them realistically have an equal chance of winning (talent notwithstanding). Unless a team is somehow banned from postseason contention, any team can emerge and win. All of the 29 other teams want to what Golden State was this past season- champions. All of the players want to show they are absolute elites. The very best become MVP. All the rookies and sophomore players want to show they are not only stars of the future, but that (to paraphrase Jordin Sparks) this is their now. Lots of questions will be asked; many of them will be answered as this upcoming season plays itself out.

This is the thread for all the goings on for this season ranging from the NBA Draft to the final NBA Finals game. Anything NBA ranging from current events to rants and raves are fair game here. Defend your favorite teams/players. Make fun of other peoples' favorite teams/players (do so tastefully, of course). Maybe speculate on upcoming games. And of course... there will be plenty of inter-forum rivalry games where two or more GTPlaneteers are fans of either team. Make this season's thread as engaging as in past seasons' threads.

Since the games that matter don't begin until this October, there's plenty you can do to pass the time. We can always speculate on each of the teams and all the different nuances of the season. One thing I do is look up videos on YouTube. A lot of times I look up mostly certain entertaining videos and (I admit) videos of hard fouls. You can see videos of old NBA games and players. Like this past season, I talked about seeing videos of players like Detlef Schrempf, Dan Majerle, Shawn Kemp, or any other past players. You may even watch some of the NBA Hardwood Classics that play on NBA TV if you have NBA TV. In other words... just get yourself psyched for NBA basketball if you love basketball.

GTPlanet, the ball is tipped for a new season of NBA basketball. Play ball!

New season time! Since the draft is this week, I may as well mention that the Lakers are reportedly aggressively pursuing a trade for Cousins with the Kings and involving the Magic. I have a friend who is a Kings fan, and while Cousins is a good player, he's also a headcase at times and represents the disjointed nature of the Sacramento organisation. If the Kings came out with the no. 2 pick in the draft and a decent player like Vucevic then they should definitely consider it.

Sorry for the double post here, but I wanted to quote this message from a different thread but felt it best to be moved to this thread.

Edit: Just in -

"Portland Trail Blazers trade Nicolas Batum to Charlotte Hornets"

"The Portland Trail Blazers have finalized a trade that will send Nicolas Batum to the Charlotte Hornets. The news was originallyreported by Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports and the Trail Blazers confirmed the trade via a press release shortly after.

In the deal, Portland will receive veteran wing Gerald Henderson and second-year forward Noah Vonleh." - Oregonian

I'm a fan of Batum, never ever even heard of the two players we are getting in return, but I'm kind of excited. Little more about Vonleh:

"Vonleh is the interesting part of the deal, a 6-foot-10, 240-pound forward who was the No. 9 pick in last year's draft. He turns 20 in August, and he played one college season at Indiana, averaging 11.3 points and 9.0 rebounds while shooting 52.3 percent from the field, including 48.5 percent on threes, although he only took 33 attempts.

Update, 5:15 p.m.: Vonleh was projected to be a higher pick last year, with aconsensus draft that combined a bunch of respected mock drafts projecting him as the No. 4 pick.

At the NBA draft combine, Vonleh was measured at 6-8 without shoes and with a 7-4¼ wingspan and a 37-inch vertical leap." - Oregonian

Nic is a great facilitator, also awesome defender. Super quick & long. Unfortunately, although we've had him for many seasons, he has NEVER been a consistent scorer. Offensively, this really hurt us from becoming a contender. Again, I like him, but he's had plenty of time to prove himself.

I've been reading that Wes Mathews has asked for $15 million a year. If he's going to be healthy, if salary cap is really being raised, that is a reasonable price to retain his service(if he even want to stay). Big key still is LaMarcus. Kevin Love rumor has started, "if" we lose LaMarcus. While Love is not the caliber of the player LaMarcus is, and he also has reputation in my circle as an arrogant 🤬, but if we do lose LaMarcus, if Love wants to come to Portland, we can't really afford to turn him away. Portland is one of the least popular FA destinations, maybe after Toronto. As a general rule, if we want quality player, we have to draft them, or trade for them. We suck!

This trade really caught me off guard today, I was like WHA?! It does smell of Portland stocking up on a power forward with a high future ceiling in case Aldridge leaves which isn't reassuring for Portland fans. It also makes the Hornets interesting again. They could've been much better last season I felt but after the Stephenson experiment failed miserably (much to my delight :sly:) they flamed out.
And whaddaya mean after Toronto?!:lol: I'd have thought Milwaukee would be pretty low on that list, from what I've heard Toronto is quite a nice city.:P I feel bad for Detroit too.

It will be interesting to see who goes where with the NBA Draft later tonight. I probably won't follow the Draft, but I do fancy the rookie class to come into the league. They'll have to prove themselves in the Summer League and maybe even the Developmental League if the rookies don't become starters for whatever team.

Sorry for the double post here, but I wanted to quote this message from a different thread but felt it best to be moved to this thread.

This trade really caught me off guard today, I was like WHA?! It does smell of Portland stocking up on a power forward with a high future ceiling in case Aldridge leaves which isn't reassuring for Portland fans. It also makes the Hornets interesting again. They could've been much better last season I felt but after the Stephenson experiment failed miserably (much to my delight :sly:) they flamed out.
And whaddaya mean after Toronto?!:lol: I'd have thought Milwaukee would be pretty low on that list, from what I've heard Toronto is quite a nice city.:P I feel bad for Detroit too.
Yeah, that was my bad. 👍

Trade was a shocker, and today, rumors been flying around that LaMarcus has notified the front office that he is leaving Portland. Since just about year ago, he promised us that he was staying, this feels like a punch in a gut to Portland fans.

It's one thing to lose a player of his caliber, but to lose him for nothing in return would almost be a low move on his part, at least in my eyes. Of course, maybe the rumors are false, maybe he will force a sign & trade, but it's looking unlikely. :indiff:
Wow, crazy trade.

I guess Vonleh is plan B in case LA goes to another team.
I don't know, the kid is really young. I think the move was more opportunistic. We get a decent shooting guard(we may lose all ours) & a 19(almost 20) year old prospect in return for small forward who never reached the level we had hoped he would, and save I think something like $3 million cap space in the process?

I'm sure the thought of LaMarcus crossed their minds, but I think they'd still have pulled the trigger if they believed in the young prospect, regardless of his size or position.

Especially if we were to lose LaMarcus Aldridge, I think we'll see more moves like this. I'm just guessing, but I get the feeling that Olshey(our GM) doesn't have anything written in stone, but like how they tell you to draft the best player, and don't draft by needs(player position), he's just gonna look at all opportunities that come along, and sort everything out later. Stay, LaMarcus. :(

Sacramento is considering firing George Karl before he even coaches a game. The issue? Karl wants to trade Demarcus Cousins, a move that would draw the ire of the President of Basketball Operations. As a result, Karl was shut out of any draft talks internally. Karl, during his 25 years as a NBA coach, made the postseason 23 times, having a reputation of turning around bad teams. If Karl is ultimately sacked, it gives Cousins the power to do anything, a source in the team said to ESPN, and he knows it.

Cousins put up career highs in points (24 PPG), Rebounds (13 RPG), Assists (3.6) and blocks (1.7) last season with the Kings.

I don't mind the Devin Booker pick the Suns made at all. I mean, we need big men more than shooters, but I guess there's always free agency.

Kevin Love pls

I don't know, the kid is really young. I think the move was more opportunistic. We get a decent shooting guard(we may lose all ours) & a 19(almost 20) year old prospect in return for small forward who never reached the level we had hoped he would, and save I think something like $3 million cap space in the process?

I'm sure the thought of LaMarcus crossed their minds, but I think they'd still have pulled the trigger if they believed in the young prospect, regardless of his size or position.

Especially if we were to lose LaMarcus Aldridge, I think we'll see more moves like this. I'm just guessing, but I get the feeling that Olshey(our GM) doesn't have anything written in stone, but like how they tell you to draft the best player, and don't draft by needs(player position), he's just gonna look at all opportunities that come along, and sort everything out later. Stay, LaMarcus. :(

Yeah, fair enough but it was a good trade for Portland either way. Batum was sort of a guy to should've broken out a few seasons ago but he's sorta stayed the same from a stats point of view.

If LA stays at least you guys will have some good backup bigs :D

20100708165147!Project_Justice_Rival_Schools_2_Logo.png

Here we go! Plug and play where Lebron James was. He's not going to be Magic Johnson but he'll at least give the team that Lebron burst. Will be groomed to replace Wade as the face of the team, I'm sure. Should give the bench a huge boost at the very least. Team needs more energy and defense. Winslow has that. For great Justice!

PG: Goran Dragic

SG: Dwyane Wade

SF: Justice Winslow

PF: Chris Bosh

C: Hassan Whiteside

LAWD! Sadly, I think Luol Deng is done. Don't think we can afford him if the lineup looks as above.

edit: wtf the Heat now have 6 lefties on the roster. Haha.

Also, this kid is an LA Laker now:

:lol: He's going to be talking about Kobe: "He didn't even pass doe!"

Last edited:
If LA stays at least you guys will have some good backup bigs :D
It seemed like it was a lock that LaMarcus was leaving. He had notified the team that he is not returning.

I just saw on the news, post draft press conference by the Blazers GM Olshey. He says that report is absolutely not true. He & LaMarcus spoke just 30 minutes before the conference on the phone, and when asked how he wanted Olshey to address the issue(misreport) to the press, he said "just tell him it's not true". Olshey says that nobody in the Blazer organization has been notified that LaMarcus isn't returning to the Blazers.

Our hope is still alive! :D

Err, @Omnis his name is spelled Justise not Justice.:P He has a lot to prove yet as well, wouldn't lock him in as a starter just yet.

Was somewhat surprised the Raptors traded Vasquez to the Bucks but kind of relieved at the same time. Vasquez and Williams together was too lopsided, two offensive spark plugs off the bench that didn't play defence meant no defence was played! Vasquez's production is replaceable, and probably at a more efficient clip as well since he was starting to be a bit of a chucker. The Raptors drafted a smart defensive point guard in Delon Wright, but secretly I think Toronto will sign Corey Joesph when the Spurs likely let him walk. They also got a protected first round pick in return for Vasquez, Masai Ujiri strikes again!

The Suns wanted Kaminsky so badly, that they traded for a carbon copy of him in Jon Leuer. :lol:

EDIT: He was the guy who prevented Phoenix from getting in the playoffs 2 seasons ago. Funny how things work, huh? :lol:

Last edited:
It's hard to follow any of the LMA news now. Reports saying the Lakers have moved up with the Spurs as the top 2 teams to get him. Excuse me? Neither of these teams have anywhere near the cap room.

The Spurs still have to resign Leonard, Duncan, & Manu, and are most likely to try to keep Danny Green.

As for the Lakers, those idiots think they're entitled to everybody. They've been spreading reports they'll land Love, they'll land Boogie, they'll land Westbrook (in a couple years), & now they'll land Aldridge. How about remembering first you owe 1 dude half your teams salary. :lol:

As for the Lakers, those idiots think they're entitled to everybody. They've been spreading reports they'll land Love, they'll land Boogie, they'll land Westbrook (in a couple years), & now they'll land Aldridge. How about remembering first you owe 1 dude half your teams salary. :lol:

Hey you never know they could land LeBron when he comes off contract :P

I just want to slap the idiot drama queen writer from our local paper(I think Columbian) who cried LaMarcus had notified the Blazers that he wasn't returning. Went by the word from a executive in the Western Conference..... Probably the loose-ball & Gatorade refill executive from the Lakers. You know, the same one that mops the floor when player falls down during the game?

I was dumb enough to fall for that, but so did majority of the sports network. One idiot executive & one writer who should be bagging groceries for living, sometimes, that's all it takes. :crazy:

I know I'm little bit late for the draft but I think my Knicks did well for once. I know a lot Knicks didn't like their pick at 4 but I thought it was good because realistically there wasn't anybody they could have taken in this draft that would lead them to the playoffs. Why not take the player many considered the best player in the draft? I thought the draft for Grant was good as well. I'm wasn't expecting the Knicks to make the playoffs next year but I just hope they are better than last year. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

The Houston Rockets picked up Sam Dekker and Montrezl Harrell from this past NBA Draft among others. Our needs were basically in having more consistent scoring as well as having some more facilitators on the floor. They also have to make their free throws. I could do no more but cringe at the Rockets bricking free throws, and I'm not just talking about Dwight Howard. There were even times when the Rockets just couldn't buy a basket and go on these dry spells. If they were more consistent and played a bit harder defense, I actually believe we would have had a chance at the NBA Finals this past season. Hoping this season will continue to improve upon this past season.

On a different note, I've seen bits and pieces of the NBA TV documentary "Clutch City." It is always so cool seeing old school NBA footage- let alone Houston Rockets' footage. There was nothing like watching Hakeem Olajuwon put the "Dream Shake" on players and hit some baskets. I never really followed the Rockets until about maybe 2002 or 2003. I did remember following the NBA Finals in 1994 and all the insanity and exultation when we beat the Knicks for the NBA Championship in 1994. I don't think I followed the 1995 NBA Finals too much when we defeated Orlando in that series. Man... New York Knicks and Orlando. Where have these two teams gone since being NBA Finals teams back when my Rockets faced them and beat them in the NBA Finals?

You all go ahead and look up some old NBA videos online. Or maybe watch some old NBA highlights on TV. It's a good way to pass the time and appreciate the history of the NBA.

kjb
I know I'm little bit late for the draft but I think my Knicks did well for once. I know a lot Knicks didn't like their pick at 4 but I thought it was good because realistically there wasn't anybody they could have taken in this draft that would lead them to the playoffs. Why not take the player many considered the best player in the draft? I thought the draft for Grant was good as well. I'm wasn't expecting the Knicks to make the playoffs next year but I just hope they are better than last year. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

I hope they and Denver are collectively really bad so the Raptors get a good lottery pick next year.:sly: The pick did make sense for the Knicks, aside from the fact that Melo's basketball clock will probably expire before New York can field a good team.

I can understand that sentiment. I really hate the fact they traded a 1st round pick for Bargnini
:banghead: I do believe they will be better maybe win 30 games

Some LA reported published an article stating the Lakers plan to offer LMA a 4-year, $80 million contract. How in the hell does that work? They've got $48 million on the books, so Aldridge would command that to $68 million which was their entire roster salary this past season & they still have roster holes to fill.

I hope they and Denver are collectively really bad so the Raptors get a good lottery pick next year.:sly: The pick did make sense for the Knicks, aside from the fact that Melo's basketball clock will probably expire before New York can field a good team.
That team they had before the dumped everything for Melo was pretty decent too, sad really.

That is what happens when the owner decides he wants a player at all costs. They gave 4 of their starting five and threw in a couple picks for fun. :mad:

Hey you never know they could land LeBron when he comes off contract :P

Lebron isn't going anywhere. He has strategically positioned himself to make the most money possible. That's why he left Miami when he did. It has everything to do with Bird rights. Named after Larry Bird, a player needs to be on a team for four years before he can be eligible for the "Bird" exemption on the team's salary cap. Lebron figured he'd go play with his best friend in Miami and win some titles, but he would eventually want to retire as a Cav. The Bird exemption, along with the 2018 salary cap, will allow him to do just that.

The salary cap is going to be $108million in 2018. That's ridiculous money, and that's going to be its peak for what probably will be a while. It's going to go down again after that. Lebron is going to sign 1+1 contracts until the 2018 season. That is, he will sign 2-year contracts with a player option, and then he will opt out of those contracts each year. This allows him to capitalize on the inflating salary cap until he reaches his 2018 target. And don't think he's going to another team. In 2018, he will finally have his Bird rights with Cleveland. This will allow him to sign a HUGE, multi-year deal at well over the player maximum. And with a $108million cap, that will mean that he will be making more money on that contract than anyone ever will in the future to come. We're going to be talking about "The Lebron Contract" as a landmark in NBA history.

I am convinced that this is how Dan Gilbert defeated Pat Riley. Lebron would have been foolish to pass up on this.

I guess all I can do is laugh, because Lamarcus Aldridge will meet with the Raptors as well who have room to offer him a max contract. I don't like their chances though.:lol: Paul Millsap on the other hand could be a realistic target for them, I think I read the Hawks may not be able to afford him.

Edit: Apparently @a6m5 Toronto was very jealous of what Portland had, because they're also reported suitors to Wes Matthews.

Last edited:
Back