Porsche 718 Boxster

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 168 comments
I also prefer MR over RR, but that depends on which 911 I compare it with against its mid-engined rival. Having driven the 911 GT3 RS (991) in GT Sport, I can say that I prefer it over all road-going MR cars in the game.

The reason for choosing a 911 over a Cayman GT4 (RS) is pure esthetics. And because I have been interested in Porsche 911 since I was a little "boy".

I have driven a Boxter S and a 911, 991 GTS on the same day and the Boxter S is the better driver's car but I don't care about that in case of a 911 vs Cayman/Boxter.

Boxster 25th Anniversary with some nifty wheels

boxster_200.jpg

I think it looks pretty good. I tend to like the chunkier wheels on Porsches as it constrasts better (in my eyes) to the more feminine curves that Porsches tend to have. I have to say though, this picture with the original concept...man what a beautiful thing, I don't think I've ever seen it pictured outside of a display stand, let alone next to another car for scale. Almost Elise-like, I love it.

2021-Porsche-Boxster-25-Years-01.jpg

The 914 was always a funny ugly duckling but I like them a lot, this one just doesn't do it for me. I think the is the first Porsche I haven't really liked, ever.
I like this rendering. I never really liked the 914. I wonder if this new 914 EV is going to be produced and hopefully it will look like the rendering above.

I don't why but I can't make myself like the Cayman, GT4 or standard. The Boxter looks better though.

I don't why but I can't make myself like the Cayman, GT4 or standard. The Boxter looks better though.

The Cayman has always had an unfortunate profile, especially in 981/718 form. I feel like they tried to make it look too much like a 911 or something. With the 987, it still felt athletic at least, but the 981 Cayman got kind of ungainly in the hip region.

I'm quite excited to know what the next gen Boxster/Cayman will look like. I hope it is further divorced from the 911 so it can stay somewhat small and lithe - the 911 is a big girl now. My dream is that it would go in the direction of that 904 Concept...

Porsche_904_Living_Legend_Concept_2.jpg

My favorite part of the Boxster/Cayman has always been that rear hip cleavage, it's not something you see on many other vehicles, and the 904 just accentuates it so so well. I love the size. I love the proportions. Most other mid engine cars are comically wide, but the Boxster/Cayman has always remained proportionally slender. I think going in this direction would allow the midship car to really be set apart from the 911 as well in a way that it still, frustratingly, hasn't been able to do. Do it Porsche! I'll buy one!

Proof that the 718 is a much better driver's car than the new(er) 911 models.

Except for the 991.2 Turbo S

Last edited:
Proof that the 718 is a much better driver's car than the new(er) 911 models.
I don't think we've needed proof since the first Boxster came out. Especially since the 991, the 911 is basically a high-luxury robotic supercar. It does everything very well, but it does it whether the driver knows how to do it or not. Contrast that with something like a GT-R which was and still is somehow both supercar capable but also sports car playful when you want it to be, or if you don't know what you're doing.

I don't think we've needed proof since the first Boxster came out. Especially since the 991, the 911 is basically a high-luxury robotic supercar. It does everything very well, but it does it whether the driver knows how to do it or not. Contrast that with something like a GT-R which was and still is somehow both supercar capable but also sports car playful when you want it to be, or if you don't know what you're doing.

Well that's a pretty contrarian perspective.

Well that's a pretty contrarian perspective.
What, that the Cayman has always been a better sports car than the 911? Or that the GT-R, despite not having a manual, is also a better sports car than it's competitor 911 Turbo?

Pretty much confirmed (though not publicly) that the next generation 718 will be electric only, and be based on the Mission R concept.

While I'm not against electric cars, I am sad that we are losing the entry level mid-engined Porsche. The 911 gets all the attention, but the midship cars are some of the sweetest driving cars ever made, motorsports heritage or not. With the way electric car powertrains are arranged, the character of "mid engine" likely won't translate. :guilty:

I just want to note this post from 2019 where they rumored that the 718's electric successor will be released in 2023.
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/porsche/electric-boxster-and-cayman-sports-car/

The next generation 718 Boxster and Cayman will be all electric. There'll also be an Audi TTE and a Lamborghini Uracco which will share parts with the new 718. Rimac will help produce it. First, there'll be an electric Macan before the 718. The 992.2 generation 911 will have hybrid models.
This was pre-Covid, so it seems like Covid has added a 2 year delay to their plans among other factors.

Pretty much confirmed (though not publicly) that the next generation 718 will be electric only, and be based on the Mission R concept.

While I'm not against electric cars, I am sad that we are losing the entry level mid-engined Porsche. The 911 gets all the attention, but the midship cars are some of the sweetest driving cars ever made, motorsports heritage or not. With the way electric car powertrains are arranged, the character of "mid engine" likely won't translate. :guilty:
Fingers crossed that Porsche are already aware of that and are employing some engineering wizardry to make it like the ICEs. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Edit: I am genuinely of the opinion that there as electric cars get more advanced, there'll be a market for electric cars that more simulate their ICE counterparts, effectively a revving electric engine. Certainly in the case of sports cars.

Last edited:

Good point.

EV "sports cars" are going to be miserable. They'll be good, for sure, good and heavy, but they're all going to handle exactly the same. They'll all have the same weight balance, the same CG, the same dynamics. And these days suspension technology has advanced pretty far, allowing the Tesla Model 3 to be a killer time attack car and it's a damn family sedan. Slap some sticky tires on it and you're off to the races. EV sports cars are going to be horrible.

Better buy yourself a nice ICE car now as an investment. Nice NA Miatas are at $10-12k now, a buddy's E36 M3 he bought for $9k a year ago has gotten offers for $18k, clean 996s are now creeping above lower 991 prices. Two years ago I was checking out 996 4Ses at around $35-40k, now they're up to 50.

Besides a few cars where it's basically impossible to find a clean example, ICE sports cars will become unaffordable very quickly. Get one while you can. Literally anything, just get something that somebody wants and hold onto it.

Fingers crossed that Porsche are already aware of that and are employing some engineering wizardry to make it like the ICEs. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Edit: I am genuinely of the opinion that there as electric cars get more advanced, there'll be a market for electric cars that more simulate their ICE counterparts, effectively a revving electric engine. Certainly in the case of sports cars.
It's less the delivery of the power and more the physical arrangement of the battery and motors. With a typical twin motor setup with the battery pack in the center of the car, the weight distribution is largely uniform. As @Keef notes, this makes for a low CG and tidy handling, but somewhat anodyne dynamics. And unless somebody does something deliberately obtuse, there isn't much of a reason to change the basic formula. You COULD make the car technically worse by putting the battery at the ass end of the car to simulate a RR platform, but it would just be dumb at that point. The skateboard platform is the way forward - totally brilliant for passenger cars, vans, and commercial vehicles, but rather uninteresting for sports cars. I have a feeling Porsche is developing synthetic fuels purely in an effort to preserve sports cars.

I'm glad I got my 986. I haven't always been glad I got it, but it's just such a loveable thing. Maybe one day I'll get a 987 Spyder...

With the way electric car powertrains are arranged, the character of "mid engine" likely won't translate. :guilty:
I'm not so sure i'd agree. If you think about it the arrangement of a mid engine car along with a driver (and passenger), kind of gives that same COG/weight distribution as the typical BEV arrangement. I drive my partners MR-S (poor man's Porsche) from time to time, and i always get the feel of the weight being quite centred. It's probably not exactly the same as a BEV platform arrangement, but i imagine it's not too far off.
EV "sports cars" are going to be miserable. They'll be good, for sure, good and heavy, but they're all going to handle exactly the same. They'll all have the same weight balance, the same CG, the same dynamics.

EV sports cars are going to be horrible.
I feel these two parts of your comment, may age badly, as it's kind of a short-sighted take. The smaller and more energy dense battery packs become with time, (we could see real breakthroughs in solid-state battery tech, for instance), the greater potential to get unnecessary weight down, hopefully resulting in a great handling sports car, what with the loss of the extra seats and bodywork/accommodating rooflines etc, no longer being needed.
All of that may result in many 2-seater BEV sports cars handling pretty much the same, but i can imagine manufacturers setting their own fairly unique YAW and torque vectoring settings, to give their cars that bit of differentiating handling characteristic.

Last edited:
All of that may result in many 2-seater BEV sports cars handling pretty much the same, but i can imagine manufacturers setting their own fairly unique YAW and torque vectoring settings, to give their cars that bit of differentiating handling characteristic.
This was the point of my post, not the total weight. The sameness will be the problem. And I don't think some lines of code are going to solve the problem. ICE cars with various engine arrangements are all at the mercy of physics and simply will never handle alike. It's impossible. No amount of engineering or code will ever make it happen. But in the EV world, they all come packaged exactly the same from a physical standpoint and manufacturers will have to engineer them to be different? I suppose they could but that seems pretty artificial and pathetic. Why would an enthusiast want to own a sports car that is fake by definition?

As far as I can tell, the only physical benefit to EV sports cars is that they're going to have bigger trunks. That's it.

Last edited:
No amount of engineering or code will ever make it happen. But in the EV world, they all come packaged exactly the same from a physical standpoint and manufacturers will have to engineer them to be different? I suppose they could but that seems pretty artificial and pathetic. Why would an enthusiast want to own a sports car that is fake by definition?
That's not necessarily true that they'll all end up being packaged exactly the same though. And as for artificially engineering handling code, aren't we already there when it comes to some manufacturers sports cars, like what with torque vectoring, launch and stability controls etc? Also there's the possibility of some sports cars having different wheelbase lengths, and not necessarily focusing all the battery packs weight towards dead centre, (depending on how well battery advancement increases).

I also think one of the main reasons an enthusiast would want to own a BEV sportscar, is purely down to aesthetic tastes and beauty of design. The fact that something will handle really great, is just another added bonus, in my opinion.

@Eunos_Cosmo and @Keef, have either of you seen the new Lotus BEV sports car chassis architecture?
It's very similar to a mid-engine layout, with the battery packs mounted behind the driver and passenger. It can accommodate up to 100 KWH worth of battery pack, and either a single or twin motor set-up behind it (in line with the rear axles). Plus the wheelbase is around 400mm shorter than a Tesla model 3's (which i guess is the typical BEV go-to metric, when it comes to efficient packaging standards).

Hopefully Porsche will take a similar route with their Cayman replacement BEV, as it looks like a good recipe for an all electric sports car, with mid-engine handling characteristics (in my opinion).

Last edited:
@Eunos_Cosmo and @Keef, have either of you seen the new Lotus BEV sports car chassis architecture?
It's very similar to a mid-engine layout, with the battery packs mounted behind the driver and passenger. It can accommodate up to 100 KWH worth of battery pack, and either a single or twin motor set-up behind it (in line with the rear axles). Plus the wheelbase is around 400mm shorter than a Tesla model 3's (which i guess is the typical BEV go-to metric, when it comes to efficient packaging standards).

Hopefully Porsche will take a similar route with their Cayman replacement BEV, as it looks like a good recipe for an all electric sports car, with mid-engine handling characteristics (in my opinion).
I went, I saw, and I'm not an engineer but I do know sports cars would look weird with the passenger compartment raised 6+ inches above the actual floor. I'm also curious about the idea of favoring lowering the butts of 180/200 pound passengers when the battery itself has a non-variable weight and will probably weight 600-1000 pounds even in a small sports car application. The heaviest and least variable weights should always be the lowest and most centralized for best dynamics. Lotus's 2+2 battery concept appears to have a tin slab and a small hump underneath the rear seats, combining the two ideas. Keep in mind that the "mid engine" handling dynamics we're familiar with are only the best because we have to put the engine somewhere. I suppose some EV experimentation will prove what weight distributions are actually the best for dynamics.

From an article I found:

The single vehicle architecture can accommodate two different types of battery. ‘Chest’ layout, where the modules are stacked vertically behind the two seats. A chest layout is a ‘mid-mounted power pack’, for sports car/hypercar vehicle types where a low overall ride height and low center of gravity are required, and as seen on the Lotus Evija pure electric hypercar.

‘Slab’ layout, where the modules are integrated horizontally under the cabin. This aimed at vehicles where a higher ride height and a taller overall profile is required. It is often referred to as a ‘skateboard power pack’ layout. The new subframe features cylindrical battery cells for high energy density, with the option of a single or twin electronic drive unit.

Obviously the "chest" layout is the one I think would retain some mid engine character. I'd certainly like to try it out and see. The electric cars I've experienced have been competent, but not really characterful. If any manufacturer can squeeze character out of a BEV, I would think it would be Porsche...so hopefully they can manage it.

Back