Reducing Tyre Wear with suspension tuning

• Thread starter SRT302
  • 1 comments
Indonesia
Indonesia
I'm trying to reduce the tyre wear of my 650S Gr3. I'm trying to get a better average lap time over a stint.
If anyone can help that'll be awesome, thanks.

Current Track: Red Bull Ring
Adjustments:
Front wing: 420
Rear wing: 500 (Minimum)

Toe angle: 0 on both

The rest of the setup is stock.

Notes:
This is on BoP (541hp, 2811lbs)
That also means no transmission tuning
This is on Racing Softs with 2x tyre wear

Last edited:
Do your front tyres wear out first?

If so, try adjusting brake balance rearwards. In GT Sport I found it very useful to adjust bias rearwards, because even in an FR or MR car, the front tyres always wore out at a faster rate than the rears from the braking and steering. You do have to watch out for the handling under trail braking if you bias rearwards, but it helped make the fronts and rears wear at a more similar rate. Benefits were less frequent tyre changes, and better handling (the original handling balance was mostly preserved).

This in turn reduced tyre wear, because when the fronts were badly worn and I was wrestling with the controls, aggressive corrections lead to more tyre screech and thus wear. This was like a snowball effect.

Again in GT Sport, I found tyres lasted a little longer if I'd set camber correctly. You might try optimising camber for the best lateral G readings, but some of the guys on youtube say the data GT gives us isn't always reflective of what works best.

I can't help much on aero and spring rates, sorry. But a lot of it will be to do with how the setup feels for you, if it's starting to slide around it will eat your tyres. If its very comfortable for you to drive you will naturally be smoother and get less tyre wear. I suspect stiffer springs/ARBs will reduce tyre compliance with any bumps in the track and make wear worse, but I have not got any testing/data to back this up.

You might also try "lift and coast". This means lifting off the throttle a bit earlier than your usual braking point, the car will slow naturally, then you brake a bit later than usual because you're effectively going slightly slower. This definitely saves fuel, but I think it will be easier on tyres too.

Good luck.

Back